Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bottom Liner posted:

My phone overheated today and wouldn't even take a picture. It was only 82 degrees out, my phone was stored in a bag out of sunlight, and was only playing music via Bluetooth (a downloaded playlist at that) and recording Strava GPS. This happened about 15 minutes into the activity. That's pretty bad.

sorry to hear that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Resdfru posted:

Yikes. Wonder if it had a lovely signal and burned itself up trying to stay connected/find a connection

It shouldn't have had any issue there. It was my normal trail with plenty of coverage and the phone has been fine there before in 92 degrees. Is there a resource monitor or anything similar that could tell me if maybe Strava was polling way too frequently or something? I turned it off and pulled it out of the case and put it against a cooling towel and it was fine after about 5 minutes, but I'd definitely like to know what caused it next time.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I've had several phones heat up while streaming music via bluetooth. Kind of concerning.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bottom Liner posted:

My phone overheated today and wouldn't even take a picture. It was only 82 degrees out, my phone was stored in a bag out of sunlight, and was only playing music via Bluetooth (a downloaded playlist at that) and recording Strava GPS. This happened about 15 minutes into the activity. That's pretty bad.

Which phone?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
P7, about 2 weeks old

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

Verizon appears to be holding the update back.

Yesterday I was going to say that I didn't get it on my Pixel 4a on Verizon prepaid, but it came overnight.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All the Pixel Fold specs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B21DJs8NItQ

The cameras are interesting. Doesn't seem to be quite as small as the sensor as expected with the upcoming Pixel 7a, but not as large as the normal Pixel 7 (1/2 vs 1/1.31). Also, it does say 5x optical zoom but renders don't seem like they are making it out to be a periscope zoom. That seems to match up with the IMX586, thought that's a somewhat older sensor (2018) so who knows.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

P7, about 2 weeks old

I've had mine get very hot with signal of all things

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looking good!

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/21/23693598/pixel-fold-irl-video-leak

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Not sure when it started, maybe after the last security update, but Smart Lock on my P6 keeps breaking so I can't use a trusted device to skip the unlock. Or anything else probably, if I go into the Smart Lock settings the list is entirely blank. Reboot fixes it but I've already had to do it twice today.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Oooh very nice I love how wide it is when folded. Shame about the pricing and also that I'd have to grey import it round my parts, but even if I didn't have to import, I'd have to pay the absurd full asking price on this instead of those sweet rear end trade-in deals the US and to a lesser extent the UK get. But at 1799 or whatever, compared to the 1150~ I paid for my Oppo Find N2, I think I'll feel less bad than I expected to, even if Color OS has a couple of issues I just can't get over.

Color OS's insistence of a 4 icon wide homescreen is baffling, and tap-to-expand notification group instead of taking me to the loving app. Seriously, what was the design logic behind that?

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 22, 2023

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

isndl posted:

Not sure when it started, maybe after the last security update, but Smart Lock on my P6 keeps breaking so I can't use a trusted device to skip the unlock. Or anything else probably, if I go into the Smart Lock settings the list is entirely blank. Reboot fixes it but I've already had to do it twice today.

Happening to me too, on a P7P though.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
okay, I have a weird bug on my new pixel 7 pro. When I put it into full screen and rotate my phone into android mode (like on YouTube or something), the nav bar breaks. I can't get to the home screen or go back, my only option is to go into settings through the notifications pane and change nav settings.

Also what's on my screen does not work at all despite being enabled

gently caress I hate phones now

crepeface fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 22, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey, an excuse to see if I have an imgur account!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Really tempted to early adopt that thing. I know this is a terrible idea.

But I guess if they give me a few bucks for my Pixel 6 and a free watch I might just bite.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Early adopting the first Pixel foldable seems like a terrible idea

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Early adopting the first Pixel foldable seems like a terrible idea

:emptyquote:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

not to mention that by the time the pixel fold starts shipping, the fold 5 will probably be close to launching with a SOC that runs circles around the tensor 2

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you want a Pixel Fold, you want a Pixel Fold and no Fold 5 is gonna be a substitute.

I would probably be using my Fold 4 daily with my SIM in it if it weren't for OneUI.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I'd be more worried if this had come out a few years ago as one of the first foldables. If they do a crazy trade in offer like they did for the P7 then I am absolutely getting one.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

crepeface posted:

okay, I have a weird bug on my new pixel 7 pro. When I put it into full screen and rotate my phone into android mode (like on YouTube or something), the nav bar breaks. I can't get to the home screen or go back, my only option is to go into settings through the notifications pane and change nav settings.

Ok I figured it out, I had the developer option "render apps below hole punch" enabled.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm eligible for an upgrade, and between the new contract discount and the trade in for my current phone, pretty much anything is on the table.

I'm currently using a Galaxy Note 10 Plus 5G (on Verizon).

I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S23 Ultra (I've heard the camera is great).

I've been using the Note line since like the Note 4, and my understanding is that there is no longer a distinct Note line, but that the S23 Ultra has the S-Pen.

Anything I should be aware of before pulling the trigger?

Any other devices I should consider?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Still haven't got the April security patch on my Pixel 6. Starting to feel a little nervous at this point.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Annath posted:

I'm eligible for an upgrade, and between the new contract discount and the trade in for my current phone, pretty much anything is on the table.

I've been using the Note line since like the Note 4, and my understanding is that there is no longer a distinct Note line, but that the S23 Ultra has the S-Pen.

I don't have any other suggestions, but I'll add a +1 to the s23 ultra. It's a great phone and as a previous note then s21 ultra user it's awesome to have it back.

I love one ui but some people don't and would consider it a deal breaker or whatever, but you're already on one ui although I don't think note 10 would have the latest.

Note 10 to s23 ultra should be a really nice upgrade across the board. Enjoy! if you get it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Some Google apps are starting to have a similar design to iOS with different shades of white and black/grey to separate certain sections in menus. I quite like it:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Annath posted:

As an S23 ULTRA user: it definitely has the S Pen.

mutantIke fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 25, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Still haven't got the April security patch on my Pixel 6. Starting to feel a little nervous at this point.

Verizon or one of the MVNOs of Verizon I assume?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Verizon or one of the MVNOs of Verizon I assume?

Verizon Prepaid. Usually my updates have been within a more usual timeframe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, for whatever reason April Pixel 6/pro/a update on verizon is getting the holdback treatment this time. They must have found something that they are worried about being deployed to their network.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

They held back the march update too. Almost becoming a pattern.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a way to make a specific app keep the screen from turning off? When I work out, I use Fit as a timer. I set my screen time out to 30 minutes so I don't have to keep touching my phone. I constantly forget to change it back to a 1 minute time out when I am done.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to make a specific app keep the screen from turning off? When I work out, I use Fit as a timer. I set my screen time out to 30 minutes so I don't have to keep touching my phone. I constantly forget to change it back to a 1 minute time out when I am done.

Tasker might be able to do that.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Not sure what phone you have, and if not-samsung has something similar

modes and routines on latest one ui can create a 'mode' with custom settings including screen time out and then you just enable that mode when you exercise and disable when done.

Oh looks like you can setup an automated routine to do the same thing when the app opens too. So same as Tasker, but free if you don't already have that

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KeepOn adds a quick settings tile that let's you pick from user defined screen timeout presets. It then automatically resets to the default once you turn of the screen. It also has Tasker integration if you want to make all this conditional to whatever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool, today is not my workout day, so I'll have time to play with it after work. Thanks!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

Not exactly what you want, but I use an app called Caffeine that gives you a quick toggle in your pull down that turns off screen time out. So you can quickly turn that on and off.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Annath posted:

My S22 Ultra was a pretty solid phone, even with the not-so-great processor (which is dramatically fixed in the S23 series). If you're a Note fan, I think you'll love it. I personally don't really miss the S-Pen too much, but I do miss that ridiculous 10x periscope zoom camera.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So, still waiting on the April security update. :mad: For whatever reason it seems like I've had 3 or so Google Play Store updates in the last week - I have no idea if that's related or not, and it still shows the Play update as being from March 1st. :confused:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
though i returned my base level s23 because it just didn't feel like it was worth it over just using my 2021 phone, i just went on a family vacation and my wife's s22 ultra just kept returning better pictures while we were out. it got to the point on the way home that she said she was bummed about the occasions when we were using my phone instead of hers to take pictures of our kid.

so i got jealous and bought an s23 ultra.

man, this zoom is somethin'. i might finally convert into a zoom picture taker, i'm always telling my mom to knock it off with her digital zoom habit and just step closer to the shot, but this actual physical zoom and software upscaling on the stuff higher up (closer in?) makes a world of difference.

also still loving the battery on this year's samsung lineup with the gen 2 for galaxy chip. i actually went into the display options and upped the resolution to 1440p for the first time on a phone because the battery's been such a champ over the past couple days of owning it that i think it's worth the trade off in efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Boy do I love it when Gmail just stops working in the background! Haven't had it happen in a while, at least, but I got no email notifications since ~2:45. Open my email client on my computer and I have 9 new emails! I then actually open Gmail, and sure enough, there they are!