Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Tunic is an extremely good albeit unconventionally premised game about uncertainty and discovery and all that good poo poo, but it has very little in common with Hollow Knight and while I'm sure people (eg, me) can love both I don't see how liking Hollow Knight will predispose you to liking Tunic. Tunic should be approached like a puzzle game in which one element is combat and you should come in prepared to not know at all times where you stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

Tunic is a Zelda-like with terrible Dark Soulish combat where the big gimmick is you don't learn how to play because the manual is the goal of the game. You get pages slowly doled out to you as you go that explain how you could have done something 3 hours ago if only you knew that pushing this button makes thing happen.

It's a bad game.

Everything about tbis is cool. Except the combat is rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tunic is more if you like extremely cryptic games like La Mulana (or like, Spelunky I guess). Hollow Knight doesn't really get there too much except for a few specific instances like the abyssal shriek

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the combat is rear end

skill issue

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 22, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tunic is incredibly good up to the point at which the puzzle design disappears up Phil fish's rear end in a top hat

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Tunic sucks

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tunic is fantastic. Not a metroidvania though. next

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tunic is a land of contrasts

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I wanted to like tunic but bounced off it hard. I liked the art direction and I thought the gimmick of uncovering the instructions as you go was an interesting concept. But as others have said the combat was what let it down for me. If I recall it was the introduction of the spiders that made me flake on it. Felt to me like the game hadn't given me enough tools to deal with their attacks.

Skill issue? Yes, but only in the sense that everyone has a skill issue with every game they start, because they're learning the game. It's the game's goal to introduce its mechanics in a way that engages the player, makes them want to learn how to master them, to "git gud," and eliminate that skill issue so they can go on to enjoy the rest. Tunic never managed to do that for me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i bounced off tunic the first time i tried to play it, but things clicked once i tried again. still didn't enjoy the intro woods sequence though. it starts badly and the combat is Not Great but it conveys the feeling of discovery well. in summary, bapanada.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Death's Door is better than Tunic anyway.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tunic is more if you like extremely cryptic games like La Mulana (or like, Spelunky I guess). Hollow Knight doesn't really get there too much except for a few specific instances like the abyssal shriek

I feel like it was a bit more friendlier than La Mulana, I own both and find them impenetrable, whereas I finished Tunic on my own

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You finished Tunic on your own or you got to the "end" on your own. There's a bit of a difference. Similar to Fez except Fez had 0 people finish on their own and Tunic has some. Some of the stuff in Tunic is pretty obscure, so if you actually did finish it, hats off to you.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Hollow Knight: Silksong will have hats.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

You finished Tunic on your own or you got to the "end" on your own. There's a bit of a difference. Similar to Fez except Fez had 0 people finish on their own and Tunic has some. Some of the stuff in Tunic is pretty obscure, so if you actually did finish it, hats off to you.

Tunic does a good job of giving you everything you need to figure it out in terms of getting true ending. The instruction manual clues do a lot of work in introducing you to the existence of "new" mechanics including the most difficult one. There is even one ghost dialog that literally spells it out for you if the manual pages aren't enough. From there it's just figuring out the gimmick to specific puzzles using that mechanic. Though if you don't care for those sorts of puzzles then it's not gonna be a fun experience since that's a huge part of the game.

Which is fine, people have different things they find fun so it's all whatever.

Tunic is good at what it sets out to do, it's not a metroidvania though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SirSamVimes posted:

Death's Door is better than Tunic anyway.

i loved Death's Door but really hated the True Ending and honestly wish i didnt bother. not the prerequisites, the ending itself. though the prereqs are pretty nuts

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What were they? I think I plat'd it but don't remember much of it. Kinda forgettable, like Tunic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As a Titan Souls apologist, the ending was cool, I just wish it came with a bonus boss fight.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I gave up on getting Death's Door's secret ending even though I initially wanted to because I kinda just like. Felt like it would make me hate the game when I already liked it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's a really cool thing for an optional postgame imo.

edit Death's Door postgame spoilers: I loving loved Titan Souls so when I started seeing that familiar eye motif, I was like "is this a coincidence?" then I googled and found it was the same devs and was like "awww gently caress it's Truth". Finding out Death's Door was a sequel to Titan Souls was a great moment and my only complaint is that you don't get to fight them again..

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 23, 2023

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Books On Tape posted:

I played one of these, couldn't be bothered to look up which one and quit pretty early one. It starts off pretty decent, then it turns you into a pig and makes your attacks drastically worse (but hey you can butt stomp on big buttons now!!), then it turns you into a snake and does the same thing. Metroidvanias are supposed to make you stronger as the game goes on and this did the opposite. Such a chore to play.

Monster Boy is super good but, yeah, turning you into a pig for a while early on might put people off.

The pig is a really strong magic user though and if you've been looking for secrets you'll get pretty powerful almost immediately. The butt stomp also trivialises a lot of otherwise annoying enemies so I'd say, at that point at the game, it IS an upgrade from your previous form.

Snake has a great ranged attack and you get some other upgrades really quickly too.

It's a great game. Keep playing.

Can someone sell me on Environmental Station Alpha though? I found that game extremely tedious and annoying.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 23, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Tunic was cute but the combat pissed me off and the controls were terrible. I gave up after about 2 hours.

Ori is great, it’s basically the closest followup to HK in terms of a Metroidvania. It is more exploration based than combat based though, as the combat can be a real slog in the first. It gets a bit better in the second.

Hyper Light Drifter is also great, but it is more of a Zelda clone than Metroidvania. I can see a lot of people being turned off by the combat if it doesn’t click for you though, as it has a few “git gud” battles like that fucker in the west Crystal kingdom.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Lone Fungus released recently and has scratched some of the HK itch for me.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did that HK type game starring a plague doctor ever come out? It was kickstarted a while ago I forget the name

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's Crowsworn. It's still not out.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
where is silksong. where is it

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

theyre just cutting it close, to build hype

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

little munchkin posted:

where is silksong. where is it

It is quite obviously in some sort of development hell. It'll be fascinating to watch the noclip documentary many years from now to see exactly what happened.

jeeves posted:

Hyper Light Drifter is also great, but it is more of a Zelda clone than Metroidvania. I can see a lot of people being turned off by the combat if it doesn’t click for you though, as it has a few “git gud” battles like that fucker in the west Crystal kingdom.

Hyper light 2 looks at first glance like an instant buy, the trailer depicting that world in 3d and that graphical style just really clicks with me. Even if the gameplay itself just turns out to be average I might still get it just to wonder around that world, it looks amazing.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 23, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
silksong is coming out soon

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Or maybe it is just a large game being made by a small team who are not crunching like they did for Hollow Knight.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cactus posted:

It is quite obviously in some sort of development hell. It'll be fascinating to watch the noclip documentary many years from now to see exactly what happened.

im going to guess what happened is "they are making a giant rear end game with a team of 3 people, one of whom is a composer" op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
normal post: i cant wait to play hollow knight silk song

deranged post: i cant wait to watch a you tube content creator expose the frauds of "team cherry"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Or maybe it is just a large game being made by a small team who are not crunching like they did for Hollow Knight.

It's going to turn out they just doubled the scope of the original game and made an unmanageable beast they can't polish into a playable state

That's my theory anyway, I think Hollow Knight was already pushing it in terms of length and it does seem like success may have given them enough rope to hang themselves

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think Silksong is going to be good, actually.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SirSamVimes posted:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

normal post: i cant wait to play hollow knight silk song

deranged post: i cant wait to watch a you tube content creator expose the frauds of "team cherry"

I hope they complete it and release it sometime. I also hope to see some juicy behind-the-scenes material about the whole process of developing the game, whether or not if it comes out. Does that make me schrodingers poster, both normal and deranged, waiting for the release of Silksong so that I can observe the game and in doing so collapse my wave function?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
silk song will never be out rip

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I sure hope so!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No Dignity posted:

It's going to turn out they just doubled the scope of the original game and made an unmanageable beast they can't polish into a playable state

That's my theory anyway, I think Hollow Knight was already pushing it in terms of length and it does seem like success may have given them enough rope to hang themselves

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Why are we even waiting on this vaporware shitshoe