Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

I thought this was a joke, there's different types of checkmarks?

Also a 1 000 $ transaction sounds like its high enough the banks and the 4 big transaction processor dont like it if there's a bunch of disputes and issues.

Yeah. Now there's gray checkmarks for government organizations, gold checkmarks for businesses and organizations, and blue checkmarks for random dumbasses who think they can buy fame and fortune for a few bucks a month.

The gray checkmarks are given out for free by Twitter staff, gold checks cost $1k/mo but come with some extra features, and blue checks cost $8/mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Rumour is that anyone with over 1 million followers is getting the blue check for free:

https://twitter.com/dexerto/status/1649908789657698304?s=46&t=XvrQwNe2ohQa_fKBAbwFNg

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Blue seems to being gifted to tons of Legacy Verified people, cause I just saw several people that were not interested, and even made their own alt versions of check marks suddenly get Blue.

^edit Ahh that would be why. But it’s super deceptive cause it says they are paying.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's just trying to get suspended, eh? :allears:
If dril gets banned there will be RIOTS

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
musky himself might be comping them.

and it makes me wonder if he or birdsite has to document that.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, he only needs to document it if he’s claiming the one you he’s personally paying as site income or comping the payments as losses on his p&l statement or for taxes, which seems unlikely

However, dril is pointing out that musk might be opening himself or Twitter to lawsuits:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1649919372700565504

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Several dead celebrities like Anthony Bourdain, Norm MacDonald, and Chadwick Boseman got their checks back. I assume this is because they all still have over 1 million followers.

Fortunate Bird
Sep 3, 2011
I feel like all this drama around the blue checks is really just playing into the dumb game. Keeping people coming back for the drama It feels like the Twitter embeds on sa are at an all time high.

People, YOU are the only ones preventing Twitter from becoming a dumb worthless right wing echo chamber. You are the ones giving musk all the power. Yes he looks more like an idiot every day, but meanwhile twitters influence isn't declining so long as legitimate people keep using it.

Just loving stop using it!

Besides all that has there at least been any effort to promote the use of ad blockers (including using a mobile browser with an adblocker instead of the app)? Do these people bravely refusing to buy the check realize there essentially paying musk anyway but continuing to use the platform and not letting it die? Dril should say that poo poo if he actually wants to really get to Elon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Several dead celebrities like Anthony Bourdain, Norm MacDonald, and Chadwick Boseman got their checks back. I assume this is because they all still have over 1 million followers.

Terry Pratchett, too. His daughter has posted that they're not paying for a blue check and getting gifted one by Musk goes against everything he's written about.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
See the 'Your resistance only makes my Penis harder' meme for anything Elon related.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This only makes Doctorow paying for the checkmark all the more of an own-goal.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Rumour is that anyone with over 1 million followers is getting the blue check for free:

https://twitter.com/dexerto/status/1649908789657698304?s=46&t=XvrQwNe2ohQa_fKBAbwFNg

Desperately trying to wash the stink off the checkmark.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Fortunate Bird posted:

I feel like all this drama around the blue checks is really just playing into the dumb game. Keeping people coming back for the drama It feels like the Twitter embeds on sa are at an all time high.

People, YOU are the only ones preventing Twitter from becoming a dumb worthless right wing echo chamber. You are the ones giving musk all the power. Yes he looks more like an idiot every day, but meanwhile twitters influence isn't declining so long as legitimate people keep using it.

Just loving stop using it!

Besides all that has there at least been any effort to promote the use of ad blockers (including using a mobile browser with an adblocker instead of the app)? Do these people bravely refusing to buy the check realize there essentially paying musk anyway but continuing to use the platform and not letting it die? Dril should say that poo poo if he actually wants to really get to Elon.

At this point if you're still on the dumb racism misogyny nazi platform, it's because you want the racism misogyny nazi platform to stay relevant for some reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw an as for McDonalds on there the last time I looked. Is twitter stabilizing? I want a death measured in months instead of years!

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Well, almost everyone...

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1649919726192308224?cxt=HHwWgMDRufrP2OUtAAAA

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo, someone's sore about Bluesky entering closed beta this week.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the GBS musk thread has Jamal Khashoggi getting the checkmark back.

Also McCain got it back, but not Cain.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

T Zero posted:

Desperately trying to wash the stink off the checkmark.

It's super funny that the overall reaction people are having is "oh god no get this poo poo off me".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

It's super funny that the overall reaction people are having is "oh god no get this poo poo off me".

Yes, indeed. The Bluesign brands the Undead.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Even weirder...
https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1649739199443255296?s=20
I love that the artist even resents this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s bizarre to me that elon didn’t understand that changing the way blue ticks function would change the way people feel about them. I guess he thought there would be more chuds willing to pay for a piece of flair than famous people not wanting the stink of chud desperation on them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s bizarre to me that elon didn’t understand that changing the way blue ticks function would change the way people feel about them. I guess he thought there would be more chuds willing to pay for a piece of flair than famous people not wanting the stink of chud desperation on them.

Musk: "Me fail society? That Un-Possible!"

Dude's been surrounded by wealth and power all his life. An echo chamber since he was in primary school. You don't need such a setup to become an rear end in a top hat, but boy does it sure amplify the pettiness and inability to handle anything that counteracts his preconceived notions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think he believes in chuds, as in he doesn't recognize them as a distinct group. There are simply the people who agree with whatever he says, and the people who don't matter. Those are the only groups.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Young Freud posted:

Even weirder...
https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1649739199443255296?s=20
I love that the artist even resents this.

So is it possible some of these people are paying and don't want the stigma? Or is it more likely that Elon is doing this so he can loudly claim that they clearly did pay and it's all just them embarrassed about it or?...

I mean, my money is on Musk being his usual dipshit political throwback self but yeah.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if SOME of them are faking it for street cred, but in this particular case it seems that an individual artist was given a mark reserved for organizations so it was probably just handed out by someone who couldn't read Japanese and only saw it was a popular account.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 23, 2023

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I AM GRANDO posted:

I saw an as for McDonalds on there the last time I looked. Is twitter stabilizing? I want a death measured in months instead of years!

It wouldn't surprise me if Twitter is letting big companies advertise for free in an attempt to draw more paying customers, much like handing out free checkmarks to the big accounts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alkydere posted:

Musk: "Me fail society? That Un-Possible!"

Dude's been surrounded by wealth and power all his life. An echo chamber since he was in primary school. You don't need such a setup to become an rear end in a top hat, but boy does it sure amplify the pettiness and inability to handle anything that counteracts his preconceived notions.

You've basically got absolutely worthless helpless failson brain combined with literal apartheid privilege AND being Extremely Online. It's hard to make someone more hosed up than this if you try.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You've basically got absolutely worthless helpless failson brain combined with literal apartheid privilege AND being Extremely Online. It's hard to make someone more hosed up than this if you try.
Being a narcissist who very publicly lost his title as World's Richest Man is the :discourse: spice in the mix.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Clarste posted:

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if SOME of them are faking it for street cred, but in this particular case it seems that an individual artist was given a mark reserved for organizations so it was probably just handed out by someone who couldn't read Japanese and only saw it was a popular account.

It's actually dumber than that: Elon supposedly saw a meme involving the little girl character getting a gold star (because he wouldn't read the manga) and gave the creator a gold check mark as an in-joke. No else connected with Spy X Family, the publishers, or other mangaka in the same publication received a gold check.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
that violates the Musk law of giving credit/kudos to a creator.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It really is something that Elon Musk and his sycophants are incapable of comprehending why blue checks were necessary in the first place. They all think "free speech" means being owed a platform, and why shouldn't they be just as important. It's why it was so god drat hilarious to see the blue checks all start to freak out about being shadow banned, because they are incapable of realizing that they are giant loving freaks and losers and no one cares what they have to say.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, he only needs to document it if he’s claiming the one you he’s personally paying as site income or comping the payments as losses on his p&l statement or for taxes, which seems unlikely

However, dril is pointing out that musk might be opening himself or Twitter to lawsuits:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1649919372700565504

yeah the people saying this is defamation are probably very wrong but more lawyerly people than i seem to think this is a pretty plausible case of advertising fraud / false endorsement

Shadowlyger posted:

i don't personally give anywhere near as many fucks about current blue checkmarks as... anyone? but it is incredibly funny and also a series of avoidable, blatant fuckups by a multibillionaire, who doesn't seem to realize that any part of the process was a mistake

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 23, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It is frankly amazing how he's gotten all kinds of celebrities and VIPs from across the cultural and ideological spectrum to come together and declare in one voice "I don't want this, I did not pay for this, please stop telling people I paid for this"

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It's absolutely defamation because only an absolute jerk would pay for a badge, and saying someone did when they didn't is extremely hosed up

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Not a lawyer, but suing someone (especially a multi-billionaire) generally requires you to be able to show and prove actual damages.

You can't just say "Elon Musk falsely portrayed me as someone dumb enough to buy Twitter Blue", you need to be able to either make a case that it cost you actual money in some way, or convince the judge that just about everyone in the country would significantly care about that blue check one way or another. As funny as the saga of the blue checks has been, and as funny as it would be for Musk to get himself into even more legal trouble over this, the fact of the matter is that it's not actually important in any way. It's so unimportant, in fact, that Musk obsessing over it to this degree is an excellent example of how badly he's coming apart.

The bit GJB brought up about advertising fraud/false endorsement has a slightly higher chance of actually leading to something, since celebrity endorsements do have some level of actual value and there's some specific law around them. It's still kind of a long shot, though. It's not like he's running fake ads with celebs' faces or anything. You'd have to convince a judge that the presence of the blue checkmark itself equates to an active endorsement of the Blue service, and while I think that's probably plausibly doable, it's usually a safer bet to assume a judge will neither understand nor care about some incredibly online petty drama.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think your point about actual damages is fair, especially because nobody is making money off Twitter, but there is a real market for "Steven King uses this" type endorsements.
How is shoving a blue checkmark onto someone different from photoshopping their face onto the outfit you're trying to sell?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Probably the fact that the purchase page for Twitter Blue doesn't say "As purchased by Stephen King!"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I think what they are trying to do is mostly to muddy the waters. If only idiots who paid 8$/month have a checkmark, it's easier to simply block them/use an add-on not to see them. If people you may want to follow have one, it becomes trickier from an automation point of view; and if enough people have a blue checkmark, including "good" people, it lessens the social stigma.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Boy, you know what's better than one entirely loving predictable catastrophuck where everyone was impersonating important accounts to troll and sow madness? Doing the exact same thing and being surprised it predictably happened again!

By the time I got home to post on the forums the account was suspended, but thankfully Discord cached the link so I could snap a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

e: del

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 17, 2024