Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The only primal fight I don't like is Bismarck from HW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It is one of the worst trials in the game, yeah

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah any fight which just has you fighting trash the whole time is pretty bad

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bruceski posted:

Ravana isn't "having a good time" so much as "cleansing purity of battle"

I do enjoy dancing to the song of ringing steel.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it was a decent spectacle but really doesn't hold up on repeat visits, yeah

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Honestly, if I'm going to judge anyone, it's going to be people who unequip their jobstones for level 90 Duty Finder content and say they're "challenging themselves" or "roleplaying". This goes double for raids or alliances, and triple for tanks/healers. Please don't drag down a party that didn't agree to this on purpose.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 23, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the only people i judge are people who have default portrait on. yes i'm including my raid static in this. you know who you are.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kerrzhe posted:

the only people i judge are people who have default portrait on. yes i'm including my raid static in this. you know who you are.

Having to reconfirm it every time you change a piece of gear is dumb tbf and a lot of people probably forget or stop caring

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I turned that poo poo off and will never look at a portrait. :grin:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

stev posted:

Having to reconfirm it every time you change a piece of gear is dumb tbf and a lot of people probably forget or stop caring

I'm willing to tolerate this bullshit enough to make sure I always have one set for my 90 jobs, but if anyone thinks I should bother for stuff I'm leveling and changing gear on all the time they're insane.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mine broke for some reason today but only when actually entering a duty, it showed as ok in the portrait menu. i had to toggle the background to force it to allow me to save it again. it's such a broken and obtuse system i can't believe they actually shipped it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oneiros posted:

mine broke for some reason today but only when actually entering a duty, it showed as ok in the portrait menu. i had to toggle the background to force it to allow me to save it again. it's such a broken and obtuse system i can't believe they actually shipped it

Next time, open up your character sheet, and see if the icon to save your Gearset is lit up. If it is, something changed. Even something like extracting Materia will cause it to change.

Resaving usually lets you resave your Portrait. If not, just go to the Character tab on the Portrait, move the camera distance slider under it a little, save, put it back, and save again.

It really is a bad system. It feels like something you'd find in a first Beta test. Shame, too, because it's a really neat idea.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wish you could just save it and it'd show regardless of whether or not the glam matches your current glam

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tekopo posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE LOGIN BUTTON ON FFXIV. IT'S TROIA AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE POSITIONALS ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE WARRIOR OF LIGHT

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Honestly, if I'm going to judge anyone, it's going to be people who unequip their jobstones for level 90 Duty Finder content and say they're "challenging themselves" or "roleplaying". This goes double for raids or alliances, and triple for tanks/healers. Please don't drag down a party that didn't agree to this on purpose.

I accidentally did remove my job stone once b/c I was working on WHM and I equipped the wrong gear set :sigh:

Although I have yet to meet anyone who did this on purpose on any content except maybe players new to MMO?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

blatman posted:

I wish you could just save it and it'd show regardless of whether or not the glam matches your current glam

I mean, if they can make it set your portrait to your Adventurer Plate, and then have the AP ignore changes made to the Portrait, you'd think this would be possible, and easy.

As someone who's done coding, I know better, but I still want it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Use a drat glamour plate ya weirdos.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I resave my portraits anytime I make a gear change (btw Materia doesn't count for this, it's any change to your visible gear) and always check them before queuing in for a duty and yet somehow my RDM portrait always reverts to default when I load in, even though there was no ! on the portrait menu and I made sure to save it fresh.

This only happens to RDM.

EDIT: But yeah also the secret to not needing to constantly save your portraits is to use a glamour plate.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The other tricky thing is that glamor plates can work wierdly with unassigned slots (like say weapons). Especially if the glamor plate is old, as it dosent always register changes in the menu.

I had to change my weapons in the gearset then back to get it to notice things had changed and save properly.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

The only primal fight I don't like is Bismarck from HW

Awful to fight again but I do like that it's just a big dumb whale. No thoughts, head empty, eating islands without a care in the world. Like yeah okay it'll end up killing everyone in the SoC but it doesn't know that

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Had my first Bismark wipe a few months back. The cutscene when he just eats the island is hardcore.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Had my first Bismark wipe a few months back. The cutscene when he just eats the island is hardcore.

I recgonize that Bismarck isn't really a good fight, but it's basically the only 'bad' fight in the game that entirely succeeds on the spectacle for me. A generally just unimpressive fight doesn't eclipse the extremely cool concept of 'fighting a giant whale on a ferried floating island'.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

bobtheconqueror posted:

It makes me feel like that image of Real Size Bahamut over Costa Del Sol and I don't like it

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

hopeandjoy posted:

I resave my portraits anytime I make a gear change (btw Materia doesn't count for this, it's any change to your visible gear) and always check them before queuing in for a duty and yet somehow my RDM portrait always reverts to default when I load in, even though there was no ! on the portrait menu and I made sure to save it fresh.

This only happens to RDM.

EDIT: But yeah also the secret to not needing to constantly save your portraits is to use a glamour plate.

I've had it revert to default despite no ! also. As Oneiros mentioned you can fix this by editing the portrait to have a different background, save, put it back to the one you want, and save again.

It's a bit of a hassle but I've been doing it every time I update my gear just to be safe (since everything's 90 this isn't super often). I'm currently au ra female and the off-center portrait really annoys me.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It makes me feel like that image of Real Size Bahamut over Costa Del Sol and I don't like it

Lol I'd just never seen it before. I expected that if the rock meter hit 0 it'd just restart, and was surprised, like "what? A cutscene?" and then bam whale eats me. Felt like being dunked on a bit.

Edit: Also Gaius ambushes you on an elevator in Prae to try to convince you of his fascist nonsense. It's literally an elevator pitch.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 23, 2023

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Letting the island get wrecked in the Bismark fight and failing to stop Yishap in Steps of Faith are the only two game over cutscenes to date, iirc. I guess they stopped using them because people got annoyed by the additional time before the fight resets?

Next closest thing would be O11S just loving deleting you if you don't beat the enrage.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Unique enrages are cool and good and there should be more, instead of the standard long cast that kills everyone.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Make more "You Died" cutscenes for raids and trials, give players the option to skip them, and give the people who watch them a bonus 10% damage buff that lasts 30 seconds that gets applied at the start of the next pull.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Bismarck is a cute flying whale with the munchies who blares liquid DNB wherever he goes, I think he's actually one of the best primals :colbert:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

W.T. Fits posted:

Make more "You Died" cutscenes for raids and trials, give players the option to skip them, and give the people who watch them a bonus 10% damage buff that lasts 30 seconds that gets applied at the start of the next pull.

Down for this

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

they should go ham on the in-fight cutscenes but just for the story versions imo, i wanna see it but i don't want to see it every time i wipe on the ex

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The cutscenes should be twice as long in high end content.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

stev posted:

The cutscenes should be twice as long in high end content.

They tried that in E8S and everyone hated it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

They tried that in E8S and everyone hated it

It would be fine in a trial, since the only reason to repeat the story version of those are if you get it in a roulette or are helping a friend or something. It sucks in a raid because you are expected to do those once a week.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

They should make more enrages like Cerberus where the boss just gets a stacking damage and speed buff until they're zipping around one-shotting the party one player at a time.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Soft enrages own because they allow good play, particularly from tanks and healers, to counteract a slight dps deficit

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I want an enrage where the boss continues it's normal rotation, but with more tankbusters, which now target the healers.

The meta strats would get very stupid.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I want an enrage where the boss continues it's normal rotation, but with more tankbusters, which now target the healers.

The meta strats would get very stupid.

Nothing but rezmages and summoners, continually propping up the healers for the next buster. "Please just let me die!"

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not even joking about this one, but there should be fights with mandatory DPS or healer LB3s. I think the revamped Ultima fight already has one of these, which rules. Let the non-tanks have big hero moments too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ultimate enrages are cool because killing players one at a time or in small groups is basically guaranteed to make a barely successful kill incredibly hype.