Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

I'm morbidly curious to what Strawberry Curry tastes like. Feels more cursed than pineapple on pizza, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Principal Wilson Fisk at least has a more striking character design than the other guy who just sits around chuckling about things until he suddenly dies.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

kebyou posted:

I'm morbidly curious to what Strawberry Curry tastes like. Feels more cursed than pineapple on pizza, really.

I'm curious too. I'm not sure it would be that different from curry with tomatoes. Curry with mangos taste good to me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

kebyou posted:

The good news is there are dozens of recipes online!

The bad news is that the only other thing I can tell you about them is that they are a 'British inspired take on an Indian classic' before my eyes glazed over at the pre-recipe word vomit backstory prevalent in online recipes.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

I saw one with mayonnaise and I yeeted myself away

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Principal Wilson Fisk at least has a more striking character design than the other guy who just sits around chuckling about things until he suddenly dies.

Also, the main characters actually meet and interact with Principal Kobayakawa, with Makoto in particular having multiple scenes with him. The SIU Director meets with Sae and Akechi a few times, but usually is just on the phone with Shido, and never meets any of the Phantom Thieves. So it is deeply impersonal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Let's give Kobayakawa this: less people hated his guts when he died compared to Morooka from P4.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

ApplesandOranges posted:

Let's give Kobayakawa this: less people hated his guts when he died compared to Morooka from P4.

y'know despite being very antagonistic, Morooka seems to be a genuinely good teacher compared to a principal of Prison the School(tm) that only wants to save his reputation (that which Japanese society values way too much)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

kebyou posted:

y'know despite being very antagonistic, Morooka seems to be a genuinely good teacher compared to a principal of Prison the School(tm) that only wants to save his reputation (that which Japanese society values way too much)

Yeah, Morooka and Kashiwagi actually did their job with teaching actual content. I mean they're both still also very creepy, but they're also not the only teachers at the school who do that, I think there was that one portrait-less teacher who was all 'haha Yukiko sure is cute huh, I bet all the boys are glad they found her, wait, I don't mean to think the rest of you aren't cute, crap, please don't tell your parents any of this'.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Persona teachers are weird in general.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kebyou posted:

high school girls are very fickle.

Yeah, it's pretty accurate for them to go "poo poo we're going to America? Doesn't that girl we hate speak English? Welp, time to play nice..." after hearing about the Hawaii trip.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think they're supposed to be the same girls who apologize for judging Ann once Shido confesses, though I certainly can't be assed to check.

I think Ann is mostly an “outcast” in that she chooses to hang with a bunch of known delinquents and losers, she could definitely join the Mean Girls or whoever is cool if she preferred.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think they're supposed to be the same girls who apologize for judging Ann once Shido confesses, though I certainly can't be assed to check.

Fairly sure they are, they have, iirc, the same voice actor. The dead giveaway is that one of the girls is the only person in the game who pronounces Takamaki correctly.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

kebyou posted:

Yeah, Morooka was just a jaded bitter rear end in a top hat. He'd probably be an okay teacher if he managed to convey his lessons a bit better -- if you read what he's actually saying it tends to be genuinely good advice, but clad in the way he says it all his students are going to remember from the lesson is that King Moron is an rear end in a top hat.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

kaosdrachen posted:

Yeah, Morooka was just a jaded bitter rear end in a top hat. He'd probably be an okay teacher if he managed to convey his lessons a bit better -- if you read what he's actually saying it tends to be genuinely good advice, but clad in the way he says it all his students are going to remember from the lesson is that King Moron is an rear end in a top hat.

"Popularity leads to intimacy!"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think Ann is mostly an “outcast” in that she chooses to hang with a bunch of known delinquents and losers, she could definitely join the Mean Girls or whoever is cool if she preferred.

Ann also doesn't look Japanese, so she gets "foreigner" labelled even though she's lived in Japan her whole life and is half-Japanese. People judge her for being blonde haired blue eyed and being tall (she's taller than Makoto and equal in height with Sae). Also some jealousy is implied in terms of her general body shape and such.

She's an outcast because she looks like a European/American Girl. In the same way that in America being half-Japanese (and visibly more Japanese than not) in an otherwise heavily White American School would potentially get you similar treatment.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 23, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ann also doesn't look Japanese, so she gets "foreigner" labelled even though she's lived in Japan her whole life and is half-Japanese. People judge her for being blonde haired blue eyed and being tall (she's taller than Makoto and equal in height with Sae). Also some jealousy is implied in terms of her general body shape and such.

She's an outcast because she looks like a European/American Girl. In the same way that in America being half-Japanese (and visibly more Japanese than not) in an otherwise heavily White American School would potentially get you similar treatment.

Probably even 3/4 Japanese, she's only 1/4 American. Also apparently she hasn't even lived in Japan her whole life, she's lived abroad for at least part of it, at least in Finland for a bit, because her parents kept country-hopping for their work. I imagine it wasn't until middle school that she moved back to Japan (which is where she met Ryuji), and she might have even kept moving around before high school.

That probably contributed to it actually, she didn't have any stable friends other than Shiho (and even Ryuji just tangentially knew her).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 120: 9/2: Free Shamu (New)

This update covers content from Part 97 of the original LP.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Back to more eavesdropping, this time in Kichijoji.

(Kichijoji-Native Girl) The origin, huh? Was there a temple named Kichijoji or something?
There was. But the temple named Kichijoji was originally in the Suidobashi area. But it was burned down in the Great Fire of Meireki. So the people who lived near it moved to this place.
I guess they were really attached to the name Kichijoji, huh?

It’s only sold at a specific shop in Kichijoji, and they only produced 100 of them!
(Mild-Mannered Dad) …You do know that the “limited edition” is just the same lotion in a different bottle, right?

(Bobbed-Hair Girl) Mommy, I’m soooooo bored. I wanna go home.
Mami-chan, can you please be a good girl for Mommy? Now, let’s hurry and get in line! This is my chance to be the envy of all my mom friends!

(Stocky Man) No, I’m the only one rooting for them! My son’s studying for entrance exams…
Studying’s good, right? Some of my customers are students and they’re brilliant.
Yeah, sure. But academics isn’t the only path. You can have more freedom in life… I think about the other possibilities often, maybe because I myself was loyal to the company I worked for before.

Your friends? Family? The police? Even… the Phantom Thieves!? There’s no guarantee they’ll arrive on time. You need to be prepared to protect yourself! To protect against threats before they can happen, we’ve announced our new security guarantee plan!

Wait, what? Unless Ryuji’s been pulling some real bullshit behind all of our backs, #Millennials has never made any kind of public appearance. How do you know they wear masks?

Just who are they, anyway…? Honestly, the idea they exist creeps me out a little bit.
(Sharp Lawyer) The police, prosecutors, everyone in government’s up in arms, trying to find the Phantom Thieves. It might not be long until those Phantom Thieves are finally caught.

(Young Cameraman) We’ll get fired if we got too far… Let’s just cover the Phantom Thieves fad like we were told.
This is definitely good news. The more we praise them now, the more fun we’ll have later.
So we build them up now only to bash them once they fall? Do you think it’ll be that easy?
We’ll worry about that when the time comes. Right now, we just stir and keep stirring!

Why ever do people distrust the media?

(Young-Looking Woman) I dunno. If the Phantom Thieves didn’t, my boyfriend and I wouldn’t have fought.

I can’t tell if this line is hosed up or not. I feel like it should either be “If the Phantom Thieves didn’t [exist]” or “If the Phantom Thieves [hadn’t]”.

I hope you didn’t say something like, “Poor Akechi-kun” in front of him. That’s it, isn’t it?

(Man with Clear Eyes) Everyone admires the Phantom Thieves… They’re the ones fighting the battles, after all.
Nrgh! What are you trying to say? They win thanks to the power I graciously provide them with!
All you do on rainy days is sit inside your holy place and surf the internet…

Hell, same.

(Veteran Pick-Up Artist) Out into the world, huh? That reminds me. Anna, Dorothy, Nora… I wonder if they’re all right.
S-Senpai, don’t tell me you’ve already gone international!?
That’s all in the past. Just forget what I said.

(Modest Housewife) Everyone’s all about the Phantom Thieves now. They’re all anyone on TV talks about.
I told my hubs he should sell a Phantom Thieves-inspired burger. Don’t you think it’d be a big hit? One must always have their finger on the pulse.

Pictured: me attempting to run up the down escalator.

Wherever I go, I hear about these phantom thieves. They’re being called modern day heroes. If I asked phantom thieves to help me, I wonder if they could clear the haziness in my head… *sigh* In my clothes, I’ve found some money and a bloodied knife. And this isn’t the first or the second time either… The stretches of time that I have no memory of are getting longer. No one understands my problem…

:smith:

Something like that. Maybe I should ask those phantom thie— …Oh, never mind. It’s nothing. Just forget what I said.

Uh, oka—

In my clothes, I’ve found some money and a bloodied knife. And this isn’t the first or the second time either… The stretches of time that I have no memory of are getting longer. No one understands my problem…

I thought you *didn’t* want to tell me.

(Easygoing Shujin Girl) I’m excited. It’ll be my first time overseas. I heard Big Bang Burger has an exclusive menu in Hawaii!
Don’t fall for marketing hype so easily. It makes you seem information illiterate.

(Fearful Old Man) What can I tell you? You don’t have the right to evict me, and I’ve always had my business here.
Come now, don’t use such a nasty word like “evict.” It’s more like an upgrade to a better location. What’s not to like? The money I’ve offered you should be more than enough.
It’s not a question of money. We’ve grown attached to this area…
…Listen up, you old coot. You better take the goddamn offer or we’ll stop playing nice.
What th—?
No one comes to this run-down old movie theater. Just go out of business already. Besides, when a building’s this old, it wouldn’t be unusual for it to catch on fire, would it? Our patience is wearing thin. Think it over one more time with that thick head of yours.
We need to deal with this guy quickly. Let’s meet at the hideout soon.

(Gentle-Looking Mother) Wow, everyone’s really into the Phantom Thieves. They’ve been talking about it on TV, too.
Kotaro and I are friends, so we’re in the Phantom Thieves together, right?
That’s right, but don’t push him too hard, okay? We should stop taking him on these walks…

(Commercial) Is your home safe? Free yourself from worry, and contact Wanna-B-Alert! Dependable protection, 24 hours a day! Our home security is phantom thief approved!
All the commercials have been like this lately. Phantom thief this, phantom thief that.

Their sales had fallen because of Medjed, but they came right back.
(Sad Old Man) Hmm. Well, that’s nice. But Medjed only acted because the Phantom Thieves appeared, right? It’s only natural they fix this.

Oh, that’s right. Um, well… Sorry about what happened in Akihabara. I really messed up…
Futaba looks really depressed… Maybe you should cheer her up.

That police officer… He was a way higher level than me…

Yeah… I guess you’re right… I mean, I still managed to buy some stuff after that. But that was only ‘cause you were there… Anyways… …Can we go up to your room? I wanna talk to you some more.
What’s the plan? Are you going to hang out with Futaba?

Okay. Let’s go, Maaku.

Hermit Rank 2: Part 96.5

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

…It really sounds like Sojiro wants me to go back to school.

But if I took online classes, I wouldn’t even have to leave the house! I could game, attend class, game, and game all without getting out of bed!
That’s the issue, I would imagine.

School… …… Um, to be honest… I really do wanna go back. …Do you think I’ll be able to?

I’m sure with hard work and effort you’ll be able to go to school like any normal kid. First step: stop poking m—ow!
But it’s fuuuuuun!

Oh, I should make a promise list!

Huh?

Music: What’s Going On?

My mom used to have me do that all the time. She’d write all my goals for the month, like cleaning the house or running errands for her.

Side note: in the original LP, I wrote the following:

Arist posted:

Your mom died two years ago, meaning that she had you running errands at like, 13 or younger? Wow, irresponsible!

In the intervening years, I have become aware of a Japanese variety show called “Old Enough!” (はじめてのおつかい) that is entirely about literal toddlers running errands by themselves. I am embarrassed by this revelation, but also somewhat vindicated, because this runs into a separate pet peeve of mine, which that America has the worst, most carbrained infrastructure in the entire world. Basically, you couldn’t make Old Enough! in the United States because all of the children would die. We need to rise up and destroy all these loving highways and replace them with trains for the good of everyone living h—wait where are you going

When I finished a task, she’d mark it off with a stamp and write comments praising me. And once I finished them all, she’d take a day off work to spend time with me.

It’s decided then! I’m gonna make a promise list! Time to get my ideas ready!

So, these are my promises. 1. Go somewhere with lots of people. Getting used to big crowds is key. 2. Go to school. I wanna see what the inside of a normal high school looks like. 3. Learn about my generation. I definitely need more info… 4. Have a normal conversation with a stranger my age. …How’s that?

Sounds good, but I’d suggest adding a fifth item: “Bathe regularly.”
I don’t need you to tell me that!
Just covering our bases, don’t freak out and get your gamer slime all over the couch.

I’m not setting a deadline for this, by the way. I wanna try and finish all of them someday! You’re gonna have to help me though. I’ll work even harder with my navigation in return!
I can sense Futaba’s trust in me…

So… Do you think I can get some kind of reward for finishing all the promises? It’d really help me stay motivated!
I’ll think about it.
I got this! …Though, I’m pretty tired from making the list… I’ll start… tomorrow.
So much for staying motivated…

Welp, I’m gonna make like a hedgehog and roll outta here!
Futaba went home…

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Maaku was already home when Futaba left, but he stepped out for a second to… oh, let’s say… get a cat treat for Morgana. Sure, whatever, that works.

Taking out the promise list brought back memories of when I worked on it with my mom. Hey. If I finish the promise list and start going to school… Do you think it’d make Sojiro happy?

I wanted to think of something I could do for Sojiro, but… that’s all I got for now.

But now I got you in my party. Heh heh… I’m counting on you! So yeah, I’m stoked! Let’s start Phantom Quest IV: Chapters of the Thieves! Sure, we’ve got a party of only two, but don’t worry about that. Bye for now!

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

You some kinda misfortune magnet or something? Just don’t bring any bad luck down on me, got it?

No, my sister hasn’t come home yet… which is probably our fault, now that I think about it. She did send me a message saying she’s coming home tonight, though.

All right! It’s finally time!
My heart’s pounding.
Make sure to be cautious, OK?

>Break a leg.
Thank you. Now shut up, I’m very nervous about this.

Oooh, I can’t wait to see what comes of this…

I think the secondhand clothes store in Kichijoji will take them too, but we’d better do something with them.

But who did it? Could #Millennials possibly be involved? We investigated to try and get to the bottom of this.
Wow, everyone’s so interested in the Phantom Thieves. Make sure you don’t blow our cover, okay?

Let’s do a crossword, even if we no longer need the Knowledge.

Music: Everyday Days

Pretty simple one. Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Music: Dark Net

This site uses text-to-speech for an easy-to-understand shopping experience!

Oh, thank god.

Forget any silly doubts or skepticism you might have, and just sign up now!
This site is incredibly shady… So, are you gonna sign up?

…Is it a good idea to use your real name on a site like this?

Your code name, eh? That’s a good idea.
Welcome! This is Tanaka’s Shady Commodities! Mr. Joker, you’ve opened the door to possibilities that normal people can only dream of! Now, you can find all the rare items you could possibly want!

Gonna buy one Five-inch Nail, one Cyclone Magatama, and the Spirit Sense Mirror. We don’t really need any of this, but we want to at least unlock the next level of the store, and we can only do that by spending.

Good news, Mr. Joker! Wh-Why, you’ve already spent over 10000 yen! Your member rank is now Black! Now you can purchase all of our Black-tier products! Your order will arrive soon. We understand your excitement, but we ask for your patience! We hope to see you again soon!

We also check on what materials we need to craft the Perma-Pick. We just need six more Liquid Mercury. The problem is they’re pretty rare. The best ways are in the newest Mementos layer and buying them from the second-hand store in Yongen-Jaya, but we can only buy one at a time from the latter source.

The Phan-Site’s blowing up!

Oh hey, Mishima has moved to Akihabara.

Welp, bye, Mishima! We’re not actually going to hang out with you tonight because your Confidant is at an interstitial stage where you won’t rank up!

Instead, we’ll be spending time with the Velvet twins.

Listen closely: the place we wish to evaluate for your rehabilitation is… somehow capable of simulating the ocean despite being indoors.
Rumor has it that sea creatures from all around the world have been gathered in this one place.
What an incredulous claim, recreating something as vast as the ocean within a building… Does such a location sound familiar to you?
Well? If you know where it is, then escort us there immediately!

So, what’ll it be?

Oh, an aquarium, huh? Guess we’ll see how well it’s recreated Mother Ocean.
Let us see just what humanity is capable of. Now, lead us there.

It’s my first time in this place, but it feels familiar to me, somehow…

Such a superficial detail would not preoccupy us.

Let’s continue inspecting the premises. There are a number of other exhibits we’ve yet to see.

Yes, the semi-transparent, floating invertebrates were quite fascinating. I believe they were named “jellyfish.”
Really? They only creeped me out.

What nonsense is this? The jellyfish are far more appealing.
No, the killer whale is clearly superior.
…Inmate.

Sorry, Justine. Gotta go with the one with the word “kill” in its name.

I knew you’d get it right, Inmate!

I believe we’ve completed our inspection of the premises, correct? We’ve seen how oceanic lifeforms from all over the world have been gathered here by humans.
Indeed—that raises a question, though… Why do humans go through the trouble of collecting other creatures and putting them on public display?

Hmph. Is that how they feel after slapping together this puny glass box? Pathetic.
Whatever the case may be, this assignment is now complete. Here is your reward.

You may (okay, probably not) notice that one of these cards is Masukunda, which is one of the skills we need for the next Strength request. That’s the reason I wanted to at least get this outing done before we unlocked Okumura’s Palace.

All right, it’s time to head back.

…What is a penguin?

Hmmm…
We have no particular interest in such a display…

After watching the penguin show, I escorted the twins back to the Velvet Room…

Music: Days of Sisters

Yes.
…Oh. Well—
I’m stuck doing gruntwork instead of pursuing the Phantom Thieves, which is much more demanding… The media circus around the case has made it hard to make inquiries. I even came up empty-handed with a man who had intel after threatening him…
Threats…?
Oh, don’t worry about it. I just said I’d revoke his custody. We’re cool now, I should drop in at his shop for some coffee later.
Right… Well, the senior faculty are being questioned about the Kamoshida case, so I’ll be going on the second-years’ school trip in their place.
Sounds good. You’ll have leverage over the school. Use it.
Sure… Why don’t you take a bath? I need to study.
I think I’ll do that. I’m a little out of sorts right now. A baby wouldn’t stop staring at me and crying on the train home, and a bird attacked me on my way out of the office.
Maybe it’s a message.
Makoto, that’s stupid. Anyway, bath time.

Music: Disquiet

Sae can be heard getting out of the tub.

You’re getting out? It’s been like thirty seconds!
Yeah, I know, it’s 50% longer than my normal breaks, but I needed the indulgence tonight.
Oh god, it’s almost done…! Uhh… Hey, you should probably use some antibiotics wherever the bird attacked you! There’s some in the cabinet!
Good thinking. Hey, birds can’t get rabies, right?
I really don’t know!

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 18, 2024

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Your code name, eh? That’s a good idea.

Nonetheless, giving this shady website your actual address is a bad idea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Justine and Caroline are just humongous nerds.

Then again, Igor and Margaret seem to be the only Velvet Room people who are normal.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 24, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Flair posted:

Nonetheless, giving this shady website your actual address is a bad idea.

I'd trust Tanaka with my life.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hellioning posted:

I'd trust Tanaka with my life.

Tanaka has a bit of Nobby Nobbs in him, in that you couldn't trust him with half a dollar yen but you could trust him with your life.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tanaka comes right out and says that his Commodities are Shady, hell of a lot more trustworthy than all of Tokyo's disreputable vendors who try to conceal this fact.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Tanaka is more powerful than even Nyx and hanging out with him can avert the apocalypse.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Arist posted:

In the intervening years, I have become aware of a Japanese variety show called “Old Enough!” (はじめてのおつかい) that is entirely about literal toddlers running errands by themselves.

FYI i'm pretty sure that's a real thing, but i couldn't find English articles about it that didn't reference the show like it's some novelty.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To be clear, my thought there was that I doubt that show would exist in the first place if the idea of having kids in even just their early teens run errands alone was completely beyond the pale in Japan (which it pretty much is here in the States)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Arist posted:

To be clear, my thought there was that I doubt that show would exist in the first place if the idea of having kids in even just their early teens run errands alone was completely beyond the pale in Japan (which it pretty much is here in the States)

Dojima had 8 years old Nanako make him meals, do the laundry, clean the house, etc. She walks to her school all alone. No one considers this a bad thing and the game acknowledges that Dojima is not the best father, but only because he never spends time with her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That reminds me of when Dojima left his daughter home alone after getting a threatening message at that very same house. :ughh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Not to defend Dojima (because really, he does screw a lot of stuff up), but small town dynamics can be a lot different. People get so used to things like having kids walk around at any given time or leaving doors unlocked.

Still, yeah, threatening message and being on the case for months about a serial killer. Not great in hindsight, Dojima.

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

I live in a major US city and I wouldn't have any problem sending my kids out to take the public bus and run errands on their own at age 13. Maybe in some places this is considered less safe?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I live in a suburb where you're not even guaranteed a sidewalk on most streets, and in a lot of major cities pedestrians have to deal with poo poo like this:

NYC is the most walkable city in the United States, and it's still not great in comparison to basically any European city.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, between this and my mild phobia of driving, you don't wanna get me started on goddamn cars

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

s__herzog posted:

I live in a major US city and I wouldn't have any problem sending my kids out to take the public bus and run errands on their own at age 13. Maybe in some places this is considered less safe?

I think "children being alone" is to each their own. I have lived in dangerous places where young children would do errands on their own (and I was one of them), but given the history of Amber Alerts and kidnapping in the US, definitely not a popular thing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It probably depends on the country, and I'm going to make a guess that the US is an outlier here. I'm in Latam and had a friend who, at age 6, was already walking to school in the snow by his lonesome (probably uphill both ways too, by how much he loved to brag about it). While that was probably a bit much, most kids I knew started taking the bus to/from school and doing errands in the evening before 10.

Having said that, I don't think "cars are bad" is the hot take in 2023 that it would've been 20 years ago, anywhere in the world. They're an unfortunate reality that we'll have to live with until we can't anymore, regardless of how people feel about them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 121: 9/3-9/5: Taking Charge (New, but not really)

This update covers content from Part 97 of the original LP.

Anon: Such annoying marketing

Early Morning

Music: Suspicion

>Oh, good. But way to leave us in suspense. We all just assumed you were dead when you didn’t get back to us last night.
No we didn’t!
I did.
Yeah, same.
You guys…
Anyway, bring the data over after school!

Looks like it went well! I wonder what we’ll find… Oh! Before that, we should get over to school!

He knew all about Kamoshida, but kept his mouth shut. Ridiculous…
(Brown-Haired Boy) Well, let’s vote him up on the Phan-Site. I can’t imagine the Phantom Thieves wouldn’t go after someone so rotten. I’m sure other teachers knew, too. Anyone who did deserves a change of heart.
Yeah… But, wait! What if it messes up our school trip? Maybe we should wait until after.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

Your destination is none other than Hawaii. I hope your passport isn’t about to expire. You’re heading out on Wednesday, so there’s no time to get a new one printed. Anyhow, I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time sightseeing in Hawaii more if you have more knowledge. Now then, Hamiru-kun. Look closely at this picture.

Each hand in this famous statue means something, but… do you know what the right represents?

That’s right. The right hand represents the prosperity of Hawaii.

That seems weird!

As an aside, it seems that this statue is not of King Kamehameha himself. After Kamehameha’s death, another king commissioned the statue, using a boy from his court as the model.

The model was Uub. Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

I hope you will make the most out of your five days there. Let me just say that I have a fondness for macadamia nuts, so…
Souvenirs, huh… I definitely wouldn’t want to get some wooden figurine. I can’t understand why people would send things like that as gifts…

Morning → After School

Music: Wicked Plan

I’ll be the judge of that.
Man, I can’t wait for this Hawaii trip!
Ah, you’re talking about your school trip? Kosei’s school trip is upcoming this week as well. We’re going to Los Angeles.

(to Maaku) Hawaii and Los Angeles, huh? Which would you wanna go to?

What country’s that?
Our place.
Wait, are you scared of airplanes?

Possibly, I’ve never been on one. But more generally, I don’t really enjoy going places, talking to people, or doing things.

So we won’t be seeing each other for a while.
We’ll make sure to buy a souvenir for you.

In the original LP I accidentally marked that as a Futaba line, oops!

Ooh, here comes some interesting data.

Music: Disquiet

This is just from a quick glance… But it says “perpetrated” and “connected.”
It means that mental shutdowns aren’t coincidence—that this is a “case” with a culprit behind it.
Actually, it’s not just about people having shutdowns. Looks like she’s inferring that the psychotic breakdown incidents are connected to the same case.
Go, Makoto’s sis!
How long do you think it’ll take to analyze all of it?
Hmm, there’s a lot, so it’s not happening overnight. But I’ll manage by the time you guys get back. I demand souvenirs from Hawaii and LA for my reward.

Bad news about the LA trip, Futaba. You’re gonna have to settle for double Hawaii.

I don’t really get all this, but you’re as amazing as always, Futaba!

Yeah, well… Can she turn into a car? Didn’t think so. Morgana wins again.

C’mon, don’t try and compete with her.
What’d you say!?

Oh, right. We’re about to hit Morgana’s inferiority complex. I have provided a helpful video of the group dynamic for those of you who might need a refresher.

You’re fine the way you are, Morgana. Like, you’re cheeky cute?
Cute… Lady Ann, I…
Well, we’ll continue this when we get back from the trip! I can’t wait to see how much the Phantom Thieves’ popularity has increased by then!

After School → Evening

Whatever. Not like you’ll be there to check on us.
Actually, about that…
WHAT

……

Oh, hey Akechi. We’ll talk to you in a second.

Donning a cloak of wind, a Feather Arrow will cleave the sky! Revive and fight, Phoenix Rangers! Next episode… “Feather Pink’s Victory.”

He’s a sharp kid. Why don’t you try learning from him?

I expect we’ve both had a long day. I was out until now with work, but I think I can finally take a break… You’re not planning on anything too strenuous tonight, are you?

Unfortunately, we’ve got plans, Akechi. And they really can’t wait. Sorry. Maybe another time.

Okay. In that case, I think I’ll head out. Don’t want to impose, after all. Thank you, Boss.

What? Then stop borin’ me and get outta here. Shoo. Why don’t you have your mommy buy you some Phantom Thieves toys, kid? Work’s been goin’ well for me. You wanna try hiring me for somethin’ too? Just leave your info and the cash in the trash bin. Disappearances, accidents, you name it. I do it. I won’t leave a single shred of evidence behind, just like how the Phantom Thieves do it! Haha!

Pretty much, thanks to the ruckus kicked up by those phantom thieves. I hope they keep this up. It makes things easier for me when the police are so focused on them. Just messin’ with ya. Heh heh. Work’s been goin’ well for me. You wanna try hiring me for somethin’ too? Just leave your info and the cash in the trash bin. Disappearances, accidents, you name it. I do it. I won’t leave a single shred of evidence behind, just like how the Phantom Thieves do it! Haha!

Meanwhile, I haven’t made any progress… I can’t have that, yo! Listen up, yo! Check out my “Phantom Anthem”!

Say Phantom, say Anthem
Say Phantom, say Anthem
Phantom Thieves are on the rise
But m’popularity’s takin’ a dive
They reached top, I’m at a stop
Got m’mom’s back in the countryside
Big city’s a hard place to reside
Passion in m’head, mess up I’m dead
Say Phantom, say Anthem
Say Phantom, say Anthem

How was it, m’main man? Wasn’t my performance filled with passion?

Yo, yo, yo—I like ya vibe! Keep up the support, brotha!

*sigh* We have to find an appropriate way to deal with this, and soon. What is the principal thinking? …He has been looking awfully pale lately. I wonder if something’s going on.

We need an Affinity Reading from Chihaya, but that’s not the reason we blew off Akechi.

Music: Time to Repent

We’re going to the beach, so I bought a swimsuit, but dressing like that in front of people… Oh, sorry for bringing up such a personal topic.

No, we need to hang out with Hifumi today, and this is actually our last chance to do so before the Hawaii trip.

I can’t teach you shogi right now… or rather, from now on… I’m… at checkmate right now. My only option is to concede… but… I can’t seem to give up… I’m not sure what my next move is after this checkmate…
Hifumi seems troubled…

I’m pretty smart, you know. I could probably help.

Thank you…!

Star Rank 7.5: Part 91

My mother told me that I should lose my upcoming exhibition match against the pro…

Huh?

Music: Suspicion

It’s her new “strategy”… If I lose to a man, I’ll get more female fans out of sympathy… or so she says. And then when I make my comeback, I’ll become a symbol for “#strong #women” everywhere. She pronounced the hashtags… I don’t know what that means…
Hmm… Hifumi, you’re not going to like this… Your mother is trying to turn you into a #girlboss.
Now you’re doing it…!
Anyway, I know you haven’t exactly been comfortable with all her attempts to promote you, so I can’t imagine you’re thrilled about the prospect of taking a dive.
It’d be worse if she didn’t seem to have thought it through… I fear her plan may actually work. She’s worked in the TV industry for a long time, so she has an eye for what entertains people. Even still, I got into a fight with her about it. I realized she doesn’t even see me as a shogi player. She’s been saying I don’t need to spend so much time and effort on shogi, and that I can quit once I’m famous and make money from my appearance.
I can’t even fathom how it must have felt to hear that.
She’s only supporting my shogi career so she can profit off me as an idol. Losing a match is trivial so long as it builds my reputation… But I just can’t abide losing on purpose.

Even if it helped me to become famous and eased my parents’ burden… I don’t want to turn my back on shogi… a game that both my father and I love…

Is there anything we can do to change her mind?
Doubtful. She’s stubborn as an ox. She would never reconsider when her opportunity to achieve her unfulfilled dreams through me is right in front of her…
This probably isn’t a cool thing to do to my friend’s family without permission, but…
(grimacing) What’shername?
Huh?
Your mother. What’s her name?

It’s… Mitsuyo Togo. What does that have to do with what we’re talking about…?
I need to do something about the target for Hifumi…

Hope she’ll forgive me for this…

Anon: ♥♥♥ Phantom Thieves ♥♥♥

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I wanna do that stuff. Can you come with me?
I’m eating now. Maybe I should respond later…

…And I have to say, that curry the chief is so proud of smells absolutely delicious.

Early Morning → Daytime

Anon: so cool… im in love ♥
Anon: I’m totally sold now
Anon: c’mon, next!
Anon: Now everyone can be happy!
Anon: phantom thieves = godly!!
Anon: i bet it’s worldwide news

Isn’t this kind of interesting?
Akechi’s a detective, right? He seems kind of incompetent.
He talks big, but he doesn’t even do anything.
Ugh! I hate people like that. They’re all talk!

There’s a forum post that’s been bothering me lately. Apparently there’s a nasty gamer at an arcade nearby.
>Mishima, this seems kind of small-time. Are you sure we should jump straight to brainwashing over a video game?
But he’s cheating! Come on, just think about it, all right? He plays Gun About and he mostly hangs out at the Gigolo arcade on Central Street.
Gun About… That’s the game Akechi kicked my rear end at… Maybe I’ll pick up a trick or two fighting this cheater for if I ever rematch him…
>Fine, I’ll do it.

Mishima said he’s at the arcade on Central Street, right? Let’s go see what this is all about.

Please don’t act like this is a target actually worth our time. I’m only accepting this for… personal reasons.

Maybe we should take care of what we can before then.

I’m going to Los Angeles for my school trip. This is my first time overseas, so I’m a little nervous… We will continue with your lessons if I return safely…

Last night was our very last chance to get the Mitsuyo Togo request before the Hawaii trip, so we had to get it just for the sake of expediency since we’re also going to go to Mementos before then. Sure, we could theoretically have delayed our next Mementos visit until after the trip, but that would require also waiting through the pivotal Morgana’s Tantrum Arc, and right after that we’re thrust into the next deadline and there’s a whole bunch of story reasons we would be better off waiting. Like, we can’t even use Haru until we enter the Palace of our own volition for the first time, and it’d be weird to go to Mementos first while that’s a concern. Also, if we waited, we’d also necessarily be putting off resolving Kawakami’s deal, and I really wanna get her to Rank 10 soon because we’ve already been kind of slacking there. I think in my casual run of Royal I had her maxed before summer vacation. What can I say? Those massages are killer. We also, obviously, want to get Shinya unlocked ASAP.

Yeah, well, you can’t.

It’s as if heroes from the movie screen have burst forth into real life. Bravo! Of course, despite public doubt, the Phantom Thieves proved to be true heroes. I knew it all along.

Ah, I criticized them before, but that was always intended to be a prelude to praise, you see. My words, like a classic film trilogy, cannot be fairly judged by the first part alone.

Yeah, in order to properly judge The Godfather, you have to see The Godfather Part III. …I actually haven’t seen either of those movies, they’re very long.

Try to observe the Phantom Thieves and the public’s response. Where is this fanaticism headed? You see, in any era, people wish for a hero on whom they project their suppressed desires.

Foreign media outlets around the world have been reporting the fall of Medjed. Around the world, the Phantom Thieves are being praised for saving the world from this threat.
This is making the news in other countries too, huh? I never thought we’d come this far.

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

If you just slap “Phantom Thieves” on something, it’ll sell like crazy. Like the Phantom Wafers. Kids go wild for them, and I need you to get me one. It seems like you could buy them anywhere, but they’re all sold out in stores. I’ve got this Strength Up Ofuda ready to trade. I’m counting on you.

Did you obtain the Phantom Wafers!? I’ll trade you for this Strength Up Ofuda. Sound good?

Of course, of course! Here’s your Strength Up Ofuda.

So this is the kind of thing the kids are into these days… The Phantom Wafers… This wafer is bigger than I expected! How are kids going to eat dinner after having this as a snack!? A-Anyway, thank you very much! I look forward to our next trade.

The Strength Up Ofuda is an item that gives one ally the effect of the skill Charge. Because it’s an item, this can be used to give a different character Charge than the one spending their turn, which is handy. Also worth noting that Charge boosts attacks by 2.5x, not 2x like this text implies (I assume they just ran out of room).

Well, here we are at the Gigolo arcade.

I’m playing Gun About right now, so don’t bother me. (to Flustered Gamer) Hey! Did you get change yet!?
It, um, it won’t take my 1,000 yen bill!
Oh, now’s my chance! The cheater’s logged in! Hey, hurry up and bring me back some change!

Some people online found his real name on a social media site, and now they’re all raging. I think his real name is Yoshinuki Nejima. That dirtbag is 40 years old and jobless. Well, I’m gonna crush Nejima and be a hero.
But you don’t seem to be winning at all.
Shut up! Just go and bring me back some change already!
So that’s the malevolent player that Mishima was talking about… He’s the infamous cheater. It’s one thing to cheat if you’re playing alone, but it’s wrong to mess with other people like that. We got his name, too. It looks like Yoshinuki Nejima is going to be our next target.

Having identified our target, we are… not going to head into Mementos today, because there’s another absolutely vital appointment we have to keep tonight, and if we go to Mementos we’ll be stuck at home. What we do tonight is legitimately going to be one of the most important things we do in the entire LP. It’s game-changing.

Do you have some time? I wanna get cracking on that promise list I made.

Instead, let’s hang with Futaba.

Then let’s form our battle plan. Step into my office, Maaku.

Hermit Rank 3: Part 98

The first one is “go somewhere with lots of people.” Ooh, I’ve got the perfect place! Akihabara Wars: Revenge of the Futaba!
You’re going to Akihabara? …Be careful out there.

Music: Home Electronics Store

Not as good as Inari though. He’s got a particularly pervy view on art.

You’re saying you have an appreciation for Yusuke’s art *because* it’s perverted? Oh god, I really don’t want to think about any of what that implies about you…

Music: Tension

(Skinny Man) Holy poo poo, gotta get over to the PC section!
(Black-Haired Woman) They forgot to lock up their newest shipment of graphics cards!
(Jogging Man) I need to get one before they notice! Crypto mining, here we come!

Yes, I know, crypto already crashed, but this scene takes place in 2016, so that joke officially isn’t hack!

MAAKU PLEASE HELP ME I LOCKED MYSELF IN THE BATHROOM BUT THE WOLVES ARE HOWLING AT THE GATES AND BAYING FOR BLOOD I CAN HEAR THEM PACING BACK AND FORTH OUTSIDE WAITING FOR MY WEAKNESS TO PREVAIL AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Maybe I should go look for Futaba…

Oh, you’re okay. I assumed you had met a gruesome fate, from the way you were shouting.
Nah, I overreacted. It was just some lady who had to piss.

…Hm? Wait a tick, I just finished a promise! “Go somewhere with lots of people”! Well, am I awesome or what!?

Thanks for bringing me here!

I can sense Futaba’s innocent joy…

I dunno though… I panicked hard when I was soloing that dungeon… I think… not being with you is kinda scary, Maaku.

Then… I’ll just add another goal to my list: “Being okay without you around.” It’s a long questline, but I’ll complete it someday!

…Phew, I’m tired. C’mon, let’s go home!

So I beat the “Go somewhere with lots of people” goal. First try, too. Not bad!

But at this pace, I’ll clear it in no time…! Right?

Anyway, I guess the point is I gotta grind for now. Leveling up for a big encounter is basic stuff. I’m gonna do a little research. See if there are any other ways I can power up. Heh heh… This is all kind of exciting, huh? Talk to you later!

Daytime → Evening

>Futaba, we were just hanging out like five minutes ago.
Analyze the data if you’re so bored.
But my PC’s doing it all for me!
How many canvases should I bring to Los Angeles…?
Zero!

(Tired Housewife) Oh, yeah… They own Big Bang Burger, right? I hear they’re talking about opening a new store in Kichijoji.
(Loud Housewife) Wow. Expanding and building new locations in this economy? They must be making serious money.
(Tired Housewife) But just between you and me, I’ve heard some pretty nasty things about their business practices. They apparently don’t get any days off. And any bonuses there are tiny…

Okay, the jazz club. It’s Sunday, so let’s see what skill is available to teach a party member.

The skill this time… is Charge. You know, the one I mentioned earlier this update? The one that boosts the next Physical attack by 2.5x? The one that Yusuke, despite having higher Strength than Ryuji, never learns? That doesn’t change in Royal, by the way. Yusuke still never naturally learns Charge. But this way, we can teach it to him, and you’d better believe we’re taking the opportunity. When I said this would be one of the most consequential moments in the entire game, I meant it. We simply cannot afford to miss this chance.

Our money’s getting low. We’re definitely going to need to head into Mementos soon.

Oh, Yusuke, huh?

At this point, it’s a foregone conclusion that we’re bringing Yusuke with us tonight. We could, theoretically, get Charge on Ryuji a few dozen levels early, but that would be a waste, and with no Haru in the party yet there’s no one else to really benefit from boosting Physical damage.

Music: No More What Ifs

I feel it! I feel the inspiration flowing in me! Hahahaha! I’m not going to be sleeping tonight!

Many have mistakenly thought that I was hitting on them. It is quite a struggle to clear up that misunderstanding… But the most complicated situations arise when they ask to be friends. I have no time to spare on anything besides art.

Conversing with a friend and reflecting upon myself… I don’t dislike this feeling.

We’ll replace Speed Master with Charge. Looking at this list, I have other cuts I probably should have made, but we’ll have plenty of time to make them.

It looks like it’s time to head home. Hmhm. That was an evening well spent.

I’ll say!

Anon: I’m totally sold now

Early Morning

What is the “Phan-Site?”
Ooh, they have new merch!

(Young Man) I mean, even the harshest TV commentators are praising them. A lot of celebrities are talking openly about the Phantom Thieves.
(Young Woman) The Phantom Thieves fight for the people! Anyone opposed to them is just behind the times. Just look at that Akechi kid. He’s catching a ton of poo poo for what happened with Medjed.
(Young Man) “Justice can’t exist so long as the Phantom Thieves do”—big talk from someone who can’t even catch them.

Maybe he’s right, at least about himself… Justice for Shido the way he envisions it can’t exist while we’re around…

(Young Man) Even politicians are claiming the Phantom Thieves are dangerous… They’re all full of hot air, though. The Phantom Thieves are totally trustworthy.
Looks like people are coming around to us…

You know what is a big deal? My Gun About rank going up.
(Impressionable Student) Gun about : The Super Real? That’s the one with the gun-shaped controller, right? Everyone’s talking about it.
The multiplayer’s sooo good. The arcade on Central Street has it—so does the one in Akihabara. You should give it a try sometime. I played against someone really good the other day… I couldn’t land a single shot on them.

Early Morning → After School

I kinda miss when no one knew who we were…

*Why?*

I should mention before I forget that one of our current goals is to get Yusuke to duplicate our Masukunda skill card so we can cheese the next Strength request. Unfortunately, he hasn’t been available in the Underground Walkway since we received it, and he won’t be available again until after Morgana’s Tantrum Arc, presumably for the same reason Hifumi stopped being available to hang with us. We really just need it by the time we head into the next Palace, whenever we decide to do that, so I hope he shows up by then.

Anyway, today will be the fabled day we enter Mementos. We only have four requests, including one we can’t actually finish yet, but we got all of those in the last week so it could be much worse in terms of wasting time. We could have planned this out better to maximize our efficiency with more requests per visit, but we’ll be fine.

We’ll head in next time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 27, 2023

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I think you can bother Yusuke in Mementos for skill cards. You definitely can in safe rooms in palaces.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Huh, is that the only sunday the jazz club offers that drink, or just the first opportunity? That's a huge oversight in my opinion if it's the former.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's really not that many free sundays in the base game; I think the very first set of cocktails repeat because you may not unlock Akechi's rank 4 at the earliest possible date, but most skills show up only once.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's another night it's available much, much later. Getting it now is just so much better, though.

I am wrong.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

dervival posted:

Huh, is that the only sunday the jazz club offers that drink, or just the first opportunity? That's a huge oversight in my opinion if it's the former.

Arist posted:

There's another night it's available much, much later. Getting it now is just so much better, though.

Charge specifically? Yes, 9/4's the only day it's available.