Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

madeintaipei posted:

It makes a certain amount of sense. Relatively cheap fuel, readily available in-country and able to be processed by domestic refineries without reliance on much outside of Russia. Less of a PITA than running a unique nuclear powered ship, with all that entails.

They already had gas turbine ships though (like the late Moskva).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

It must also be noted that this map is to scale. Ukraine is sending its giants into Crimea.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Bluemillion posted:

But do we really want to risk a combination of anime and ponies?

They already have idol horse girl racing gacha, it's too late and we may as well reap the benefits that can be had.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nobody cares about you trying to pull the NAZI UKRAINIANS!!!! thing. Get out of here.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

what a dogshit troll

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/vYYPhqH.mp4

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
lmao did they get a pizza delivered to active combat zone?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Pizza Hut held to the Dominos standard. They delivered.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
There's probably a non zero chance there's an operating pizza restaurant near the front lines

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its not so far

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If the Ukranians were serious about winning the war they would be eating nothing but hardtack and their own tears. Eating pizza to have a few seconds of feeling human just shows that they are Hitler's Nazis funded by the Great Satan United States of Amerikkka and getting fat on all that NATO money!!!!!!!!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kchama posted:

Nobody cares about you trying to pull the NAZI UKRAINIANS!!!! thing. Get out of here.

????

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm getting a really strong "What is best in life?" vibe from this.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Okay, explain to me why you posted that exact tweet.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Lmao, come on dude

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Your use of ellipses made it too blatant

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ukraine will needs boots in the Crimea to take it. Once they break through the narrow defence at the neck, nothings going to stop an armored advance all the way to Sevastopol.

Blowing the bridge will be part of it, but only the beginning. Once they break through (using Helicopters to out flank it) it will fall very quickly.

Who wants to be the last Mobik defending something that's going to fall?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I dunno, just a Reuters tweet about Ukrainians traini-

Oh...drat that's unfortunate. Guess some things can't be helped eh. Carry on.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Negostrike posted:

Piss off loser

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Comstar posted:

Ukraine will needs boots in the Crimea to take it. Once they break through the narrow defence at the neck, nothings going to stop an armored advance all the way to Sevastopol.

Blowing the bridge will be part of it, but only the beginning. Once they break through (using Helicopters to out flank it) it will fall very quickly.

Who wants to be the last Mobik defending something that's going to fall?

Russia's going to defend Crimea to the last dagestani.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I think the person who recently posted in this thread that

Negostrike posted:

South America never had any leftist regime ever.
may just be trolling

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
In any case a single dude with a callsign doesn't matter because Wagner is on the battlefield and fighting for Russia and they're literally blatant nazis lol, gently caress off

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Come on, I'm sure it's just a coincidence. :shrug:

EasilyConfused posted:

I think the person who recently posted in this thread that

may just be trolling

I'm afraid you might be quite misinformed about this.
I mean, ok, maybe Venezuela, but then what else?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

HonorableTB posted:

It would be a really dumb decision to actually invade Crimea because the isthmus isn't just an isthmus, it's the swampiest poo poo in the entire region. Check this out:

Not only are there only two land routes south into the isthmus, on either side of those is narrow swampland and a bunch of lakes and marshes. It would be an extremely bad idea to actually do that if you didn't absolutely have to, because the alternative is just severing the Kerch bridge and posting up at Melitopol or Berdyansk and just siege the Russians out of Crimea while Ukraine's ground operations keep focusing on the Donbas. There's no need to militarily occupy Crimea at this time

The Red Army stared at the Nazis across the Kerch straight, with an unsuccessful amphibious assault, for 6 months.

Then when they pushed the Nazis far enough back that Crimea was cut off and the Soviets controlled the land bridge, on April 8 1944 they invaded the isthmus, reached Kerch on the 11th, and Simferopol on the 13th, before herding the remaining 120k Nazis into Sevastopol by the end of the week, which fell on May 8, with the remaining rats fleeing by boat until mid-May.

The Ruscists of today have less troops, shittier defences, less support, and apparently still fight like it's WW2, plus they can flee over the Kerch bridge rather than have to run a gauntlet of mines and torpedo boats in slow transports through the Black Sea to Romania.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 23, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Negostrike posted:

Argentina? Peru?

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2022/03/12/a-new-group-of-left-wing-presidents-takes-over-in-latin-america

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Negostrike posted:

Ever heard of Allende? Again, you wrote:

Negostrike posted:

South America never had any leftist regime ever.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

NTRabbit posted:

The Red Army stared at the Nazis across the Kerch straight, with an unsuccessful amphibious assault, for 6 months.

Then when they pushed the Nazis far enough back that Crimea was cut off and the Soviets controlled the land bridge, on April 8 1944 they invaded the isthmus, reached Kerch on the 11th, and Simferopol on the 13th, before herding the remaining 120k Nazis into Sevastopol by the end of the week, which fell on May 8, with the remaining rats fleeing by boat until mid-May.

The Ruscists of today have less troops, shittier defences, less support, and apparently still fight like it's WW2, plus they can flee over the Kerch bridge rather than have to run a gauntlet of mines and torpedo boats in slow transports through the Black Sea to Romania.

On the other hand, the Ukrainians aren't exactly the late war Red Army.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

On the other hand, the Ukrainians aren't exactly the late war Red Army.

I know what you're trying to say, but there were actually a lot of Ukranians in the late war Red Army.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Negostrike posted:

Don't post here anymore.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

NTRabbit posted:

How realistic is this for Ukraine though? Short on armor and ammunition as is.

As incompetent as Russia has been through this whole thing, theyve had a year to build defences in the region so I cant even imagine how many lines they will have to fight through to even get to Crimea, let alone Crimea itself.

I want Ukraine to succeed as much as anyone else but the cost (lives mainly) is mind bending. If Bakhmut/Vuhledar is any indication, is it realistic for Ukraine to sustain that for a year or more?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Barbarians. And a great example of Russian racism. I can do a write up on Russian treatment of the Tatars if anyone's interested

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/04/22/7399033/

Russians sentenced Crimean Tatar to 7 years for transferring US $13.67 to friend posted:

The Russian-controlled Kyiv District Court of Simferopol has sentenced Crimean Tatar Appaz Kurtamet to 7 years of imprisonment for allegedly transferring 500 hryvnias to the volunteer battalion Crimea.

Source: Dmytro Lubinets, ombudsman for human rights of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, on Telegram; Krym.Realii outlet

Quote from Lubinets: "7 years of imprisonment in a strict regime colony with the first year [to be spent] in prison. Such a sentence was passed by the Russian-controlled Kyiv District Court of Simferopol against Crimean Tatar Appaz Kurtamet.

The occupiers accused the 21-year-old boy of "financing" the Crimea volunteer battalion. ("the creation of an armed formation, the leadership of such formations or its financing", Article 208.1 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation). According to the investigation, he transferred 500 hryvnias (US$13.67) to a member of the battalion. In fact, Appaz lent this money to an acquaintance, who at that time entered the volunteer battalion."

Details: Russian security forces detained Kurtamet on 23 July 2022 at the administrative border with temporarily occupied Crimea, where he was heading to visit his relatives. The connection with him disappeared on the same day. His location was unknown until 8 October. The occupiers started the trial at the end of February this year.

Krym.Realii reported that the hearing in this case ended on 20 April. Judge Oxana Karchevskaya announced the verdict in the criminal case, found Kurtamet guilty and sentenced him to 7 years in prison, with the first year to be served in prison, and the rest of the term in a strict regime colony. The verdict has not yet taken effect. Lawyer Refat Yunusov announced that he intended to appeal the judge's decision in the Court of Appeals.

During court debates a day earlier, the prosecution demanded a 10-year prison sentence for Kurtamet, arguing that the defendant's guilt was fully proven during the investigation and trial. The defence insisted on Kurtamet's acquittal, believing that his actions did not constitute a crime.

According to Krym.Realii, Kurtamet lent his friend UAH 500 in July 2022. He was detained by Russian security forces in Henichesk on 22 July. He was sent to a filtration camp, in which, during a phone check, it turned out that an acquaintance of Kurtamet, to whom he had lent the money, was serving in the Crimea volunteer battalion. Investigators of the Russian FSB filed his loan as "funding of an illegal armed formation".

As Refat Chubarov, the chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar People, stated in his comment, "the case of Appaz Kurtamet revealed all the arbitrariness with which the occupying power acts".

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Carth Dookie posted:

I know what you're trying to say, but there were actually a lot of Ukranians in the late war Red Army.

Specifically it was units from the 4th Ukrainian Front that liberated Crimea in 1944.

And while it's true that the Ukrainian force of today doesn't match the number of troops and tanks in the 2nd Guards and 51st Army, the WW2 units also didn't have satellite and laser guided precision long range artillery/rockets/bombs, an anti-armour rocket per soldier, tanks that can routinely hit targets at over a kilometre instead of operating at 350m or less, real time battlefield surveillance and management via drone, and infrared optics on everything.

What upgrades on the Wehrmacht do the Russians really have in meaningful numbers at this point? Semi-auto rifles over bolt action? Probably drones too, but everything else is increasingly WW2 derivative junk from the 50s and 60s

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 23, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Very easily actually, with a slow moving front like this, life is largely normal behind the lines. There have been several confirmed stories of Ukrainian tanks pulling up to a drive through, grabbing food for the crew, and then driving off to the battlefield.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

orange juche posted:

Very easily actually, with a slow moving front like this, life is largely normal behind the lines. There have been several confirmed stories of Ukrainian tanks pulling up to a drive through, grabbing food for the crew, and then driving off to the battlefield.

There's video of dudes going to get coffee at gas stations and bringing it back to a trench.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Negostrike posted:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
you know how those canadians get when they're all hosed up on hockey

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1649932696347394048?s=20

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Report on how bad it is in Bakhmut: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-the-brutal-wait-for-ukraines-counteroffensive

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ah yeah he's a real fan of scout snipers

He looks like he could also do with some fiber in his diet, looks like he's trying to poo poo out adolf hitler's head

e: my bad i misspelled hitler's first name, knew how to spell it still spelled it wrong

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 23, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

Ah yeah he's a real fan of scout snipers

He looks like he could also do with some fiber in his diet, looks like he's trying to poo poo out adolph hitler's head

that's what happens when adolf doesn't have a flared base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
every time i see that wagner guy I can't help but think he looks like great value ilyn payne