Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Guess what

Chickam butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CHICKAM SPREE

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

*sigh*... :suicide:
Y'all are horrid little enablers.

https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2023/04/morehens-disease-flare-up.html

The older Polish mix is 'Triffid'
The Silkie frizzle is 'Wingding' by ynohtna
The little splash blue laced red Wyandotte is 'Eggroll' by Spagett

The new chicks don't know what mealworms are...

And YES, more eggs means another round of hatching in 3 weeks. But those bantam Cochins were GORGEOUS and I just cannot lay off either the little round borbs nor the big, fluffy fat-rear end borbs.

EDIT--When it comes to names for the next batch, I still have the list of unused names. Anyone who wants to change their name choice, let me know. If you haven't submitted a name, post it in this thread!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 23, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh that's a good mix, I always liked Polish in particular because of their fancy headgear. And another mystery batch to follow, that's awesome!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Swiffer was aptly named.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god :neckbeard:

That feisty little Silkie!! That absolute tumbleweed of a mama hen!! And a new hatch?! It's Christmas in April!!!

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

The prophecy is fulfilled.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

More chicks equals more fun equals chicks, so chicks are infinite is what I'm saying

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wingding is SO FIERCE!

But my heart belongs to Swiffer. Hope you're feeling better soonest little featherbundle.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:henget: i love them all, they are wonderful :love:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Dave McCluckstain :black101:

:megadeath:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I love them all so much and am very excited to catch hatch part 2, since I missed hatch part 1 :toot:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CHICKAM SPREE

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/4FXAdqV.mp4
:siren: PANIC TIME :siren:

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Hazel the Great.

Also - curious to know the typical lifespan? What’s the oldest one in your flock?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chain Sixer, please.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

hay guys

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I always wonder what the camera setup's like, I've seen one of them wandering up to look into it a number of times.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Swiffer Update: She's doing much better, this morning she's gobbling down mealworms, drinking on her own, talking a bit and looking around, alert.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always wonder what the camera setup's like, I've seen one of them wandering up to look into it a number of times.

We brought a couple of hens in the other day for a quick Meet & Greet, this is Brick giving me a 'Really? Again?!' look over her shoulder. You can see the two wire windows the chicks have to look out of, and the camera clamped to a half cinderblock is on the left, right above Brick's (Garibaldi's mom) head. As the chickes get bigger, we'll move the cam to the top edge of the box, looking down.

yippeekiyaymf, our oldest chicken so far was Pong, a 15 year old frizzle Belgian d'Uccle/bantam Cochin mix. She died two weeks short of age 16, when she would have officially entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the World's Oldest Chicken: https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2019/02/rip-pong.html
Most of our chickens live to between 8-12 years--we treat our birds as pets, so they get more consistent care then a lot of backyard flocks kept for meat/eggs do though, those birds average 5-7 years.
The oldest birds we have right now are Fries (black mottled Belgian d'Uccle bantam), age 11 and Pie (Americaunas/Giant Cochian/Buff Brahma mix), age 9.

And I don't know what was up with the panic time video...but it appears that maybe Triffid made it up to the edge of the box! :v:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Swiffer Update: She's doing much better, this morning she's gobbling down mealworms, drinking on her own, talking a bit and looking around, alert.

:unsmith: #TeamSwiffer

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Swiffer is now nearly 100%, eating, drinking all on her own. Alert and talking, walking around a little (she could walk around a bit more to make me totally happy). Eats her mealworms, corn, grapes, little treat of cooked rice/carrots/peas/egg. Normal poops, yay!
Tomorrow she'll get a bath (badly soiled feathers on her underside) and we'll see how she gets around, she may go out into the small run for a few hours to integrate safely with the flock and get a shot at a dust bath.
I'll also get better pics of her.

EDIT: Triffid keeps scaring the hell out of the other chicks by jumping up on the edge of the box. We're gonna have to put the wire lid on the box to keep her in for now...I'm going to clean the box later and we'll add a new dirt clod and other stuff to play/roost on so everyone's happy.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 24, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Cannot wait for Swiffer Pix. Love this absolute mop of a chicken. #TeamSwiffer

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The ReptiPro is warming up...if all goes well, I'll set the next batch of eggs tomorrow, for a planned hatch date of May 16th!
:henget:
I'll keep this same thread for the next batch.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

:neckbeard:

I had to miss a lot of the early days because we were travelling that weekend, so I’m selfishly very excited for a second hatch!

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

E G G

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We brought a couple of hens in the other day for a quick Meet & Greet, this is Brick giving me a 'Really? Again?!' look over her shoulder. You can see the two wire windows the chicks have to look out of, and the camera clamped to a half cinderblock is on the left, right above Brick's (Garibaldi's mom) head. As the chickes get bigger, we'll move the cam to the top edge of the box, looking down.

yippeekiyaymf, our oldest chicken so far was Pong, a 15 year old frizzle Belgian d'Uccle/bantam Cochin mix. She died two weeks short of age 16, when she would have officially entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the World's Oldest Chicken: https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2019/02/rip-pong.html
Most of our chickens live to between 8-12 years--we treat our birds as pets, so they get more consistent care then a lot of backyard flocks kept for meat/eggs do though, those birds average 5-7 years.
The oldest birds we have right now are Fries (black mottled Belgian d'Uccle bantam), age 11 and Pie (Americaunas/Giant Cochian/Buff Brahma mix), age 9.

And I don't know what was up with the panic time video...but it appears that maybe Triffid made it up to the edge of the box! :v:

Aww love that you do Meet and Greets!!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Stocky Manhood posted:

Aww love that you do Meet and Greets!!

Over the years we've discovered that the Meet & Greets are vital when it comes to introducing new birds to the flock. It lets the chicks learn that BIG birds exist, and the adults get over their snit that there are new birds they have to share human attention (and goodies) with. It makes for a WHOLE lot less fighting, biting and bullying once the chicks go out into the yard for good at 2 months old.

We do the same thing when introducing adults (like Swiffer), they hang out in the small run so everyone can safely interact--the hardware cloth eliminates injuries from any fights.
Some squabbling is unavoidable, but Meet & Greets cuts that by about 80%.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

And we're off! :derp:

https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2023/04/what-again.html

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wondeful! :3:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It feels like these guys are in a constant party mode

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/Q4bB31M.mp4
NO ONE EXPECTS THE HENNISH INQUISITION!

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 2, 2023

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ LOL. Triffid does this a LOT.

Swiffer update!
She is 100% back! She's spending the afternoon in the small run where she can get some sun, dust bathe and safely meet our flock. She'll spend the night back inside, then tomorrow go out in the small run all day, and after that be out with the flock.

But today she had a bath because MAN, had she ever soiled her feathers, poor thing.
Here she is the day we got her. Her entire underside was dirty and got worse that night, also she had a BIG buildup of dirt/poop on one toe (for some reason bantam Cochin tend to get these, we call them 'poo castanets' because of the click they make when the hen walks). I blame our horrid winter but man, her previous owner should have cleaned her up. You can see it under her in one of the pics, it was about the size of a large grape. :gonk: Biggest ones I've caught on our hens were the size of a BB/pea.

Also Day 1, I seriously wasn't sure she'd make it.

And today, three days later after a bath, poo castanet removal (underneath it we found a length of heavy cotton string wrapped around her claw), LOTS of goodies/mealworms, electrolytes/probiotics and rest. She's still slightly damp from her bath here, but MUCH healthier and perkier! :neckbeard:
Also, she fought her reflection in the bathroom mirror as I was using the hair dryer on her.

Chicken butt!

One thing I still have to do is trim her toes, they're overlong. The bald head and worn back feathers translates to: popular with the boys. No eggs from her yet,I doubt there will be. Pretty sure she's an old lady, I'd say at least 6-7 years old...she has the same look as my frizzle hens when they got older.
She's a feisty hen, but very calm, talkative and friendly.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh she's so adorable. #TeamSwiffer

Also, how did you come by her?

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 25, 2023

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Oh she's so adorable. #TeamSwiffer

Also, how did you come by her?

The same poultry swap where we got the hatching eggs, but a different seller. A man selling bantam Cochins at $20 a pop, some lady got there first and bought 5 birds from him, Swiffer and two roos were left. The guy took her out of the cage he'd brought her in and let me hold her and inspect her (that's what you do when buying, checking overall health).
She was in such poor condition there was no way I was gonna let her go back home with him. :smith:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Poor old gal. :smith: I’m glad she’s in better care now. :unsmith:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The Silkie frizzle is 'Wingding' by ynohtna

Please tell me I’m not the only one who keeps watching Wingding thinking they should be running around a Star Wars miniature scene…

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The same poultry swap where we got the hatching eggs, but a different seller. A man selling bantam Cochins at $20 a pop, some lady got there first and bought 5 birds from him, Swiffer and two roos were left. The guy took her out of the cage he'd brought her in and let me hold her and inspect her (that's what you do when buying, checking overall health).
She was in such poor condition there was no way I was gonna let her go back home with him. :smith:

Thank you for rescuing her :unsmith:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CHICKAM SPREE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Requesting Swiffer be spoiled rotten with snacks and petting on behalf of the thread.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Requesting Swiffer be spoiled rotten with snacks and petting on behalf of the thread.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

And photo (if not video) evidence must be provided if you don't want to be reported :hai: