Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Feels Villeneuve posted:

between the relative lack of like, romantic tension in any social link and the silent protagonist, the "romances" are so loosely defined that i honestly can't be bothered to care one way or another
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s the flip of the thing I’ve seen people say, “well it’s weird to romance the other characters because they’re teenagers and I, the player, am an adult” which is just silly.

I always liked "I can't date any of the other Thieves because that interferes with the chain of command."

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 23, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
thats why Hifumi is so popular

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

between the relative lack of like, romantic tension in any social link and the silent protagonist, the "romances" are so loosely defined that i honestly can't be bothered to care one way or another

yup

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I always liked "I can't day any of the other Thieves because that interferes with the chain of command."

Then there's the "I've got far too much to do. I don't have time for a girlfriend before about December." So that's basically Haru or Sumi...

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I thought chihaya was roughly the same age as joker until she asked me if I liked older women. Like drat that's some moisturising routine

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

neonchameleon posted:

Then there's the "I've got far too much to do. I don't have time for a girlfriend before about December." So that's basically Haru or Sumi...

I went with "My life is in the shitter, why the hell would I drag someone else in there with me?". Leaves only the non-romantic Christmas and Valentine's events, which have the advantage of being way more interesting than "You hung out with X. It was romantic."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The maidenless romance events are all really good, at least in Royal, which helps.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

the sex ghost posted:

I thought chihaya was roughly the same age as joker until she asked me if I liked older women. Like drat that's some moisturising routine

I always figured Chihaya was like 19 or 20 so she's by far the least weird of the adults to date.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
when you're younger the year differences are that much more significant, so it all gets in strange territory here

I'm not sure how much of it to blame on Hashino or the genre of games he borrowed from to create his version of Persona.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

neonchameleon posted:

Conversely if you start early with Ann, I think that really shows up how once the whole Shion thing is done Ann just gets... nothing to do. "Sorry, aside from the romance your story beats are done!" And sadly she doesn't even have a strong Social Link.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dawgstar posted:

Conversely if you start early with Ann, I think that really shows up how once the whole Shion thing is done Ann just gets... nothing to do. "Sorry, aside from the romance your story beats are done!" And sadly she doesn't even have a strong Social Link.

Counterpoint: hard water is hilarious.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They really didn't need to go that hard with the Osaka Jail's music god drat.

Also just idly wondering what Ichinose's whole deal is. She is so obviously the overarching villain of this whole thing from the first scene when she shows up and is probably jailing Konoe for her own ends but it is unclear what her objective is exactly. "Eheheheh weeeeell-yeah-i-developed-emma-but-i-was-hard-up-for-cash-so-i-sold-it-anyway-let's-move-on" alright sure lady. And she first interacted with the squad because she heard Morgana being a talking cat which is, you know, a plot point we've been through before in the previous game. Konoe is a bit young to be her father given that she's a postdoc at a university and it would be a bit of a lazy recycling of Akechi and Shido. Maybe Ooharada or whatever his name is? His only connection to things so far is hit-and-running Zenkichi's wife. I guess Sophia fits in somehow as well, perhaps Sophia was actually developed by Maddice and is clearly the more advanced and beneficial AI of the two so it's some sort of Morgana vs Yaldy type situation going on there. Speculating is fun.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 23, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A friend and I were fantasy booking what a potential Elon Musk analog in P6 would look like, and I think a billionaire tech bro with an Emerald Mine Palace (or diamond mine to avoid the obvious connection) could be pretty drat funny. The enemies are all toiling away in the mines but otherwise completely brainwashed and obsessed with him. The treasure would be his father's approval or something along those lines.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think they should not put elon musk in a persona game

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Good news! I'm sure they won't!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I mean. Okumura or the guy in Strikers was kinda mostly that already really, they were lovely business dudes who mistreated their employees or their position to do heinous stuff to varying degrees. The Strikers guy was even using a social media platform for his thing.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

thebardyspoon posted:

I mean. Okumura or the guy in Strikers was kinda mostly that already really, they were lovely business dudes who mistreated their employees or their position to do heinous stuff to varying degrees. The Strikers guy was even using a social media platform for his thing.

Yeah, the Strikers guy had the Featherman/sentai inspiration but there's definitely a bit of the Tony Stark/Iron Man stuff that Musk so wants to apply to himself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing the Persona dancing games for the first time, starting with Persona 3, and this is really challenging. The first Akihiko song feels impossible to clear? It’s not giving any feedback as to what I am doing wrong. I cleared the other first three songs without any issues, but now cant continue until this one is cleared too. Playing on PlayStation 5. I wish it had a mode to just play all of the songs freely with the character of my choice.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I keep getting new teammates in Persona 3 at a crazy rate and none of them seem as good as the first ones I got.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The later ones are more situational but that said some kind of Yukari, Akihiko, Mitsuru/Junpei comp works pretty well in most situations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/shopatlus/status/1650545419221446665?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Lol at selling this shirt with the armband

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
You can just get the armband if you prefer that.

https://shopatlus.com/collections/persona-3-portable/products/persona-3p-gekkoukan-high-school-set

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Red armbands certainly do add some snappy flair to a formal outfit.

"SEES" is a bit dorky though, maybe if it had some sort of cool-looking symbol instead. Something bold and symmetric...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

You're going in the opposite direction

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've decided that I don't really like the Persona Dancing games. For games that present themselves as approachable and easy going, they really are not at all. Coming from Final Fantasy Final Bar Line, the Persona Dancing titles are a huge step backwards in quality of life / difficulty, and approach-ability.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Royal and Strikers:

If I had a nickel for every time the PTs had to defeat somebody who chose to cope with their trauma by attempting to create the Demiurge instead of talking to a therapist I would have two nickels. And that's not even counting the other Demiurge, separate from the other two Demiurges, that just sort of spontaneously happened

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Royal and Strikers:

If I had a nickel for every time the PTs had to defeat somebody who chose to cope with their trauma by attempting to create the Demiurge instead of talking to a therapist I would have two nickels. And that's not even counting the other Demiurge, separate from the other two Demiurges, that just sort of spontaneously happened

Maybe P5X will get to the root of the problem. Or you'll have three nickels.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I got to the point in Persona 3 where you fight the last Shadow to take down the Dark Hour. It seemed to be trying to make me believe the game about to be over but it's pretty obvious it wasn't because my SEES social link was only at 6 so it was pretty obvious there was more game to play after that night. I just thought it was funny that the false game over was spoiled by their own system lol.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I got to the point in Persona 3 where you fight the last Shadow to take down the Dark Hour. It seemed to be trying to make me believe the game about to be over but it's pretty obvious it wasn't because my SEES social link was only at 6 so it was pretty obvious there was more game to play after that night. I just thought it was funny that the false game over was spoiled by their own system lol.

That's actually an inherent flaw to the calendar and S. Link system that's baked into Hashino's Personas, whoops!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Neeksy posted:

That's actually an inherent flaw to the calendar and S. Link system that's baked into Hashino's Personas, whoops!

I think it's somewhat better in Persona 4 , since you're maxed in the Fool social link when you confront Namatame and start the Judgment one if you pick the right path?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
they should just have non-standard numbers of ranks for social links, keep you on your toes

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think a good way to do it is just have social links for your outside friends and not involving your teammates or main story enemies/friends at all, or at least just don't have social links that advance at specific story beats.

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 28, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The issue with that is that it leads to weird stuff like being closer with that random classmate who wants to date his teacher than the guy you are actively fighting to the death alongside, which seems off, especially since the game is based on the idea that bonds with others is your power.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Neeksy posted:

This is an extremely silly thing to point out as an egregious, inherent flaw in a genre where the game literally assigns a numeric level to track your character's power and progress through the game.

Like, I know that you don't like the calendar system, but come on. It's pretty clear the game isn't over at that point just because you're only just hitting level 50 out of a maximum of 99.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
A lot of games have a max level cap you'll be nowhere near that you can beat the game at. Especially games with new game +.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Next persona game uses the french metric calendar and no one has a clue what's going on

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

A lot of games have a max level cap you'll be nowhere near that you can beat the game at. Especially games with new game +.

Yeah, but you can't even get any of the good demons you've been unlocking through Social Links at level 50 in Persona 3. Besides, most RPGs end you in the 70s.

The last RPG I played that expected you to beat it below level 60 was FFV.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, also, it's November. Even if you haven't played enough Persona games to figure out what November means, no story based around school semesters is going to end in fuckin November, get outta here.

I think the social link/confidant system works fine the way it is, it's mostly that most characters are failed by the writing in either the main storyline or their personal side story.

Like, the only character I think fully nails both aspects is Yukari, from Persona 3. Both her story and social link progression revolve around the cataclysm and the impact it had on her and her family. In the plot, she is distrustful of SEES and Mitsuru, because she views the Kijiro group as responsible for her father's death, but she eventually comes to trust Mitsuru and the team when poo poo starts getting real real, while in her social link, she resents her mother for moving on after her father's death, and as a result has grown to socially isolate herself, and eventually realizes that her mom's not a monster and it's okay to put yourself out there.

Both focus on her character and deal with similar ideas, yet are separate enough that they don't have to progress concurrently, and it's not a plot hole if you miss the social link because that one explores how she socializes outside of SEES.

It's probably a hard target to pull off something as coherent as Yukari for every single character, but I'd much rather they attempted that than get rid of party member bonding or giving it a ton of time gates.

You don't even have to give everyone a major plot storyline. I know people tend to be dissatisfied with it, but I think Yusuke is by far the best Phantom Thief, because once you get past his introduction (which is, admittedly, Not Good), the guy just never wavers and is always doing the right thing for the right reasons and urges others to do the same. That's a good thing! We don't need everyone to falter at a crucial moment, or have a personal relationship with an upcoming villain, for them to be a good character! He gets a self-contained confidant storyline that is entirely unrelated to the Phantom Thieves and deals with his personal issues, and it is heck of good; Yusuke is another perfectly well-rounded character that works in the system they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Having an inherent flaw doesn't mean it's -bad-, it just means that the game will not be able to hide its progression like others can. It will have to do other things in order to make up for telegraphing its pacing.