Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

Back in my day video game protagonists were muscled men with guns or women with big boobs (also with guns), subtitles weren't invented and if you wanted to change the controls you were a communist and by gum we liked it

Back in the day you'd go to the "Controls" screen and it would just be a picture of the controller with the buttons labeled as they were meant to be. No ability to change things around like some pinko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Subtitles?

You mean the names of the sequels in the series?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Back in the day you'd go to the "Controls" screen page in the manual and it would just be a picture of the controller with the buttons labeled as they were meant to be.
ftfy

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

back in my day there was only one control, it was one large spinning ball that you swiped your hand over as fast as possible to get a good tee shot and it was always slightly sticky with what you hoped was beer from other bar patrons :arghfist::corsair:

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Back in my day, you pressed buttons randomly and hoped you could figure out what they did before your rental period ended.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Len posted:

I've posted it in this thread before I think, but a guy I know is deaf in one ear and had a whole wall of text about the use of ASL in Spiderman, this was the video he started with

https://twitter.com/7Spideycomics/status/1324729061290217473?t=_c17LEiTGm6kjMMNCS4zog&s=19

Screenshots because it's a lot of individual discord messages and my phone didn't want to just copy everything at once

I love this aspect of the Miles Morales game and this extra info makes it even better. Thanks for posting

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Street Fighter VI has a character creator that lets you create some REAL gnarly poo poo, which is already the best idea any fighting game has had for years. It all actually matters, too, altering not just your character's reach but also things like the strength of certain moves; making a straight-up Popeye-looking motherfucker's gonna make your punches better, stuff like that. Speedruns and challenge runs have the potential to be hilarious, because the character creator actually being part of the game means that 'optimal build' is now rather more literal a term.

But I think my favorite minor touch to that part of the game is that their way of communicating your character's height is to put them next to a to-scale cardboard standee of one of the game's actual characters. It's just such a silly yet obviously practical solution, it's amazing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cleretic posted:

But I think my favorite minor touch to that part of the game is that their way of communicating your character's height is to put them next to a to-scale cardboard standee of one of the game's actual characters. It's just such a silly yet obviously practical solution, it's amazing.

Is it Dan? It really should be Dan.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
MINIMUM HEIGHT
MAXIMUM ARM

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bussamove posted:

Is it Dan? It really should be Dan.

It's not Dan (who actually wouldn't be practical because Dan's not in the game right now), it's actually Luke. Your trainer in-story, so you already have a bead on his relative height, but most importantly: he may well be the SF6 launch character most likely to have a cardboard standee of himself, in a gym that he himself operates.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

MINIMUM HEIGHT
MAXIMUM ARM

...Potemkin?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

An accessibility option I really appreciate in Horizon: Forbidden West is the ability to turn off high-pitched ringing from stuns, flash bombs, etc. For my whole life I've had incredibly strong tinnitus, so any option to not be reminded of the loud-rear end ringing in my ears is most appreciated.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There should be an Archer filter, so whenever that kind of sound appears you just hear Aloy going "Mawp. Mawp. Mawp..."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It's not Dan (who actually wouldn't be practical because Dan's not in the game right now), it's actually Luke. Your trainer in-story, so you already have a bead on his relative height, but most importantly: he may well be the SF6 launch character most likely to have a cardboard standee of himself, in a gym that he himself operates.

They should've used Sagat to gently caress with people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kitfox88 posted:

MINIMUM HEIGHT
MAXIMUM ARM

My character's just going to have Dhalsim-length arms normally, and then when I do the extendo arm attack it's going to go off the edge of the screen and back onto screen from behind me to punch myself in the rectum.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Some folks complain about the parrying in the Resident Evil 4 remake, I say it's one of my favorite little things in the game

https://i.imgur.com/L13LNrh.mp4

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

It's not Dan (who actually wouldn't be practical because Dan's not in the game right now),

Pass.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Randalor posted:

...Potemkin?

Hey he's tall as poo poo, I think only Faust is taller. :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dan is DLC fodder, I expect. Everyone likes him but nobody wants to play as him, so save the effort for more serious characters early on in development.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Some folks complain about the parrying in the Resident Evil 4 remake, I say it's one of my favorite little things in the game

https://i.imgur.com/L13LNrh.mp4

You can parry the autocrossbow lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWGYq7-7uPA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol goddamn, I figured you could bat away the first couple shots but it would get you after that :aaaaa:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

this is so awesomely dumb

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, but can you parry an RPG?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can you parry the minigun?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Leal posted:

the only person with fast enough knife skills would be krauser

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leal posted:

I’m pretty sure I saw the icon flashing when I got caught out once, so probably

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Leal posted:

Can you marry the minigun?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

the only person with fast enough knife skills would be krauser

But Leon defeated Krauser using knife skills...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RULES OF NATURE

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dan is DLC fodder, I expect. Everyone likes him but nobody wants to play as him, so save the effort for more serious characters early on in development.

I think plenty of people would want to play as Dan, but he's absolutely DLC fodder, basically for that reason. If you're planning Street Fighter's roster and have to answer the question 'what characters are beloved enough to have an immediate fanbase with no changes, but the game wouldn't feel weird not having', Dan is absolutely there. As is Akuma, Poison, or Rose.

Like, consider M. Bison in comparison. He's standard and popular enough that it almost feels like you need a reason not to have him (and in SF6 that answer is 'he dead'), and if he's not in the base game then he can't be DLC without some other hook, because M. Bison is just that standard. But Dan's always been extra frosting on the cake, and it's frosting that's unique and beloved enough that if you sold him as a DLC character, nobody would be mad about it just being Dan.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Is Bison proper dead? Like definitely not coming back dead? or is it going to be oh gently caress his psycho power brought him back?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yes. He's totally forever dead, the only way to play as him anymore is to play Street Fighter games before 6 from now on.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hasn’t Bison died before, or am I misremembering?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Intrigued by the previous post I read a story summary and yes he’s come back several times from things that should have killed his body / soul / evil psycho essence or whatever. Any writer who wanted to bring him back has plenty of prior art to point to.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Hasn’t Bison died before, or am I misremembering?

In basically every game he's appeared in, yes, but canonically he's died three times, I think?

In Street Fighter Alpha 3 when his Psycho Drive machine is destroyed and he goes from Meat Bison to Mini Bison.

In Street Fighter 2, probably killed by Akuma.

In Street Fighter 5 after whatever happens in that plot, I don't know.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Is Bison proper dead? Like definitely not coming back dead? or is it going to be oh gently caress his psycho power brought him back?

I mean, in SFV's story mode Ryu killed him in a way that seems to circumvent the way he usually comes back, and since then he's only appeared as a vengeful ghost in a couple character stories, and maybe as one of the attacks of JP, one of the SF6 characters who also seems to use Psycho Power (he's got an attack that sends out a spectre that looks like it might be wearing M. Bison's uniform).

So while it's vaguely possible M. Bison might come back, it wouldn't work at this point to have him just come back as 'M. Bison, jacked guy with the red hat and coat that does Psycho Crusher'.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If the capcom had spent a fraction of their trillions of street fighter blood diamonds on health insurance raul Julia would still be ruling cambodia with a benevolent iron fist

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

m. dieson

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"For me, it was Easter Sunday"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
OMG I went back to Mad Maestro on ps2 after not touching it in months due to the third song kicking my rear end badly (Finale of the Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Sains) and I finally got past not only that one, but the next one too, which felt a lot easier. I'm glad that I'm finally making progress in that game because it's really hard and there aren't a lot of classical music based rhythm games, and it's just fun. I particularly like that if you rush the timing or go too slowly, so does the orchestra, same with being too loud or quiet, because YOU are the conductor and they are only following your lead. It's such a hard game as it's entirely based on the PS2's pressure sensitive button that no one ever used. Also looking at the manual apparently there are other pieces hidden in Medley Modes where if you play well enough you can switch to an entirely different piece and a single mistake takes you out of it, but completing it gets a bonus game unlocked. I had no idea that was even a thing as I'm averaging D ranks on easy :P

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Apr 23, 2023