Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The :biotruths: stuff definitely gets weird but still not even that crazy looking at nature, bagworms anybody? Heck, fathers being good parents is more the exception than the rule in the animal kingdom from all I've seen, even with mammals.

Also funny that these species all live in a galactic society with such a wide variety of species and wacky life cycles that they're happy to explain it to people of other species and not assume they'll behave the same way, which of course makes sense but it's definitely a contrast from what this kind of sci-fi is usually like, overrelying on misunderstandings and all.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Eli Manning is Peyton Manning's little brother and is kind of a doofy guy. more soft-spoken and shies away from the limelight that Peyton seems to flourish in. most notable for beating the tom brady led patriots in the superbowl TWICE, i instantly became a fan. anyway, relevant to the comic some players will inexplicably play like absolute trash for 3/4 of a game and then come out playing their hearts out in the last quarter.

So what you're saying is he's basically a shonen protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Basil calls in an airstrike.

Bybloemen

Title drop! Rooooll credits.

Like many former courtiers, Pieper is a cynic at heart.

(Do ho ho ho, etymology joke)

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance chapter 12.5 special project: featured interviews, part 5 - Bureau of Magic special envoy Mushiro, the Plaid Menace, Winged Judgement, bearer of the word LAW and goddess of the seven part world.

I still find it funny that the iron fist of the magical government, the cop of cops, possibly the most dangerous magician we've encountered so far, is a serious minded (and seriously violent) schoolgirl.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hempuli posted:

The Accidental Space Spy

108 - Evolution of the schnyfs :biotruths:

Y-CHROMOSOMES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So what you're saying is he's basically a shonen protagonist.

but a likable one, tho.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Samovar posted:

Y-CHROMOSOMES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

At this point I think I trust Thorsby over your "conventional" science.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: "It's rare that devils have the patience to learn martial arts, but I wouldn't want to be one of the unlucky sods that runs into one that does." - Yag Vitro, Guild Boss

quote:

Pride

Alt: K I L L B O S S

quote:

“DEMON FLIPS THE CART

A strong internal/external style that grants a practitioner unbelievable muscular strength. While not as reviled as infamous styles such as Leisure Kicks, Ecstasy Dart, or Hundred Wind Ghost Blade, it is nevertheless seen as a rude, renegade, and unrefined style, and as such has no official schools and must typically be learned by seeking out a wandering master. It is a popular style of many famous belligerent or mendicant knights, including (famously) the warrior monk Ippo Kemon who once defended a bridge by clogging it with a wave of dead men and horses.

It can only be learned by men and devils, who have the abundance of black Atum needed. A student of this style kindles their Atum and internal forces with unbelievable heat, by eating certain herbs and ingesting certain roots over a few weeks of time, during which the practitioner must train intensely. The result of this process produces a voracious and incredibly strong hot black Atum that suffuses far more of the body than normal, spilling over from its meridians and saturating the flesh itself, an effect which is normally quite painful and can in some cases cause a person to quite literally burn to death.

The masters of this style sweat profusely when they let this energy suffuse them totally, and their body becomes red and flushed with blood, and even seemed to steam. They are capable of absolutely absurd feats of strength, such as lifting an ox cart overhead with one finger, lifting a house sized boulder, or (as I once witnessed in a duel) hurling an opponent several hundred meters into the distance. An old master once boasted to me that he had hurled a royal sailing ship at an opponent once while drunk in his youth, which I calculated later was about 2000 short tons (2500 imperial tons).

The well known drawback to this style is a practitioner must eat and drink around three or four times as much as a normal person of their weight in order to stoke their internal fire. Without such regular fuel, their own body is consumed and they quite literally combust. The masters I talked to were rather unconcerned about this particular quirk and took it as a matter of religious importance, one of them going as far as to say that most old masters that know their time is getting near stop eating, so that when they next enter battle their body will consume many of their opponents in its violent self immolation.”

– Manual of Hands and Feet
It's very likely that this style is what KILLBOSS here is using

Alt: And you thought there wouldn't be a training montage!

quote:

82 White Chain Returns from Emptiness to Subdue Evil

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I like Kill Boss' punk aesthetic.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Guess which bad bitch is actually managing to build a backlog?!!!!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

How far through Chako are we, by the way?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Emzedoh posted:

How far through Chako are we, by the way?
Shrimp is strip 93 out of a total of 135, plus we have 8 more chapters of ChaCha, Chako to go.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

post-coma, we examine where the characters have gotten to

mr boop
book 3, 112-117
https://mrboop.net/

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Allison clearly not having finished her training as "never tell someone to hit you again harder" is a very important rule

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

rodbeard posted:

I'm there in spirit since I got lazy and went to the bodega for dinner tonight.

Bonus egg

what the actual gently caress is your avatar my guy?

I can't tell if the people love you or hate you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I wasn’t expecting Gamer Gilligan and I certainly wasn’t expecting Libertarian But Somehow Actually Moral Popeye

Edit: I am now seriously wondering if the existence of Gamer Gilligan thus posits the existence of Gamer Lovey Howell

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Libertarian But Somehow Actually Moral Gamer Popeye.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

personally i'm pleased to see popeye clarify that he is not a paedophile

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He should wear a shirt that says it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

what the actual gently caress is your avatar my guy?

I can't tell if the people love you or hate you.

It seemed funny at the time

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is funny

impzone card probably better tho

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 41

Chapter 42

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
OK, I talked to Medenmath (who posts it in the other thread) and they gave me the go-ahead to use their source. This might change when Imgur does its thing, but we'll get to that when we come to it. If you get caught on the series the way that we have, I highly recommend looking into buying the recent Fantagraphics imprints. Besides being beautifully printed at the original size, the books also have a lot of bonus material like behind-the-scenes pictures, interviews, and analysis of various aspects of the material.

A little background: Hal Foster was born in Nova Scotia in 1892 but moved to Chicago in his twenties to pursue a career as an illustrator. In 1928, he was hired to create a 10-week long newspaper comic strip adaptation of Tarzan. Foster felt dubious about this at first, thinking of newspaper comics as a 'lesser' medium than illustration. However, it would change the course of his career for the rest of his life. Working on Tarzan gave him the itch to create his own original work in the medium. This impulse led to the creation of Prince Valiant, which he would dedicate himself to from age 45 to age 79. Valiant went through several beta versions with Foster first titling the project Derek, Son of Thane and then Prince Arn. He pitched the story to William Randolph Hearst, who was enthusiastic about having a new strip by Foster to run in his paper after the success of Tarzan, and the strip began publishing in 1937.

Our story begins! Prince Valiant's family is fleeing the fictional Nordic country of Thule for the shores of Britain. I think Val is supposed to be around 14-15 years old at this point, certainly no older. Things start out a little rough and dry, but the story and the artwork will get more juicy as Foster gets warmed up.

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (February 13-27, 1937)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

THE DRAW PLAY

sometimes refs miss completely brutal, obvious calls that the whole world saw happen and then call ticky tack penalties either as "make up" calls or just because they're lame and suck (also i want to know what kind of situation would call for a 12 yard penalty for a false start. THAT'S some shenanigans right there)

so this one time the pittsburgh steelers had just the worst uniforms. i dont remember what the occasion was but they played in these alternate uniforms maybe just 2 or 3 times. everyone hated them and made fun of them for looking like bees or differently colored old timey prisoner clothes.

FILE PHOTO

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Touhou Peanuts

Nue Houjuu: A... nue, which is a chimaera-like youkai in Japanese mythology. Can make any object unidentifiable. The Extra Stage boss in Touhou Seirensen ~ Undefined Fantastic Object. Based on Lydia, who would a) constantly tell Linus he was too old for her (she was two months younger than him) and b) often claim she had different names.

Touhou Gumon Kuju ~ Symposium of Post-mysticism is one of the official Touhou infobooks.

Hatate Himekaidou: A tengu reporter who runs the newspaper Kakashi Spirit News. She's the second one to appear after Aya Shameimaru, who in turn runs the Bunbunmaru Newspaper. Rather than go out and get news, she uses Thoughtography to be able to see distant events, and can get pictures by inputting keywords in her cameraphone. Many jokes about how she just uses Google to get material for her newspaper have been made.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Chug and Shadow have a better handle on Popeye's voice and mannerisms than either of the people doing the official comics right now IMO

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

rodbeard posted:

It seemed funny at the time

noooo I loved it it was based, sometimes what the gently caress is the appropriate reaction to something AND what makes it cool.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Apr 23, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Apr 24, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

This took me a few moments to get, well done.

Wakako-Zake 16th Night: Yakisoba (Fried noodles)

Wakako-Zake 17th Night: Fresh spring rolls

Little sceptical about that little just-so story at the end, but I do love fresh spring rolls.

Next up: the stinking rose.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Owl at Home posted:

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (February 13-27, 1937)

Amused to see the hostile natives trope applied to Britons, although what's this about fen dwellers? Did the Britons just pawn Valiant's family off onto some whole nother group? It wasn't even their land to grant?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 42
This comic keeps being really good

Fingerpori

ANSU

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

107 - Valor
108 - Evolution of the schnyfs :biotruths:
109 - Clout and Alacrity
110 - Revealer of malevolence

111 - Life near the Invisible Zone

112 - Firewood

After the backlickers, (old) knirpels and tailcutters, I like how generally polite and friendly the schnyfs seem.

Alien species seen: 39 (+17; revealer of malevolence, snout of vigilance, seekers of congregations, tendrils of jitteriness, mumbler of the delving, maker of messes, inflictor of pain, swinger of orifices, choker of cunning, besmircher of trees, sacrificer of tongues, renouncer of skin, mudclad knight, beast of cleanliness, peeper of hovering, brawler of jealousy, hider of its face, )
:biotruths:: 6
Talking character deaths: 6
Deaths overall: 32

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

hider of its face, not even the ole turn off your monitor trick works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Dolmistaska