Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i pay good money to see the hottest uncut fork pictures online can't get it anywhere else.

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tylertfb posted:

This is a long stem:

Overripe banana for scale.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I yell at the wind. I am thinking about this because today's cardio day was done outdoors (Friday at the gym is usually around an hour on the stationary; today it was longer on the road bike), and I managed to have headwind for 75% of the back-and-forth ride both ways because Mississippi River. So, I yelled at it again, and... well, now I do this a lot.

Does anyone else yell at the wind when no one else is around? Year before last, on Christmas Eve, we had a crazy-warm day, and I put on the spandex and got on my bike. On one section of that loop, I was in a solid, no-break 20+ MPH headwind (before the frequent gusts) for about seven miles or so. At one point, when a gust felt like it might just stop me, I screamed, "MERCY!!!!!!!1". That's my go-to when the wind messes with me.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Nah man. I'm so fast I don't waste my breathe yelling at the wind, I just pass it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
save my yelling for car brained morons

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I yell at the wind. I am thinking about this because today's cardio day was done outdoors (Friday at the gym is usually around an hour on the stationary; today it was longer on the road bike), and I managed to have headwind for 75% of the back-and-forth ride both ways because Mississippi River. So, I yelled at it again, and... well, now I do this a lot.

Does anyone else yell at the wind when no one else is around? Year before last, on Christmas Eve, we had a crazy-warm day, and I put on the spandex and got on my bike. On one section of that loop, I was in a solid, no-break 20+ MPH headwind (before the frequent gusts) for about seven miles or so. At one point, when a gust felt like it might just stop me, I screamed, "MERCY!!!!!!!1". That's my go-to when the wind messes with me.

I yell at the wind, when it's really gusty or just wipes out your speed it's incredibly frustrating and I shout at it to make it stop. I'd much rather pissing rain than irritating wind.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Slavvy posted:

I yell at the wind, when it's really gusty or just wipes out your speed it's incredibly frustrating and I shout at it to make it stop. I'd much rather pissing rain than irritating wind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's right

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Garmin + Di2 question. Can you go back to a ride and see which gear you were in at any specific point or stats regarding percentage of time in each gear or the like?

I'm curious how much people actually use 50:11 or 52:11 or 52:12 gearing. And more specifically how much *I* would be using that extreme gearing. On my current bike I rarely get into that gearing, but don't know exactly how rarely.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

ilkhan posted:

Garmin + Di2 question. Can you go back to a ride and see which gear you were in at any specific point or stats regarding percentage of time in each gear or the like?

I'm curious how much people actually use 50:11 or 52:11 or 52:12 gearing. And more specifically how much *I* would be using that extreme gearing. On my current bike I rarely get into that gearing, but don't know exactly how rarely.

I have not seen these stats in garmin connect, but the SRAM one does give you that info exactly.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ilkhan posted:

It literally depends on the type of ride you've done that day?

I'm using 50/37x10-33

I have rides that look like

I also have rides that look like

Ideally you would want a centered bell curve. I spend very little time in 50x10. It is basically an overdrive gear for descending in groups.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 22, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

wind is just a hill in another dimension

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

A few weeks ago one of the guys at the shop told me about this nice stretch of road that gets almost no car traffic, I've been going there on weekends. It's about 6.5 miles long

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Well, that’s not good:

Was in a crash a few weeks ago so I guess I’ve been riding it like that for at least 3 weeks! This is my winter bike /commuter so I need to sort something out. Do I:
1. Try and source a new fork. A quick google doesn’t have any obvious cheap options, with similar spec at least
2. Buy a 2nd set of wheels for my gravel bike and commute on that with some more road-y tyres
3. New bike!

For option 3, ideal spec is something that’ll take 32mm tyres + mudguards, rack mounts, disc brakes, probably steel (never had a steel bike and I like how they look)

So far I’ve looked at Omnium CXC, Brother Kepler, one of the many Surlys (although they seem super pricey in the UK). Genesis CDF maybe? Anything obvious I’m missing?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

It literally depends on the type of ride you've done that day?

I'm using 50/37x10-33

I have rides that look like

I also have rides that look like

Ideally you would want a centered bell curve. I spend very little time in 50x10. It is basically an overdrive gear for descending in groups.

The 50x10 ratio is great for me to actually put power down when descending. Love it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Well, that’s not good:

Was in a crash a few weeks ago so I guess I’ve been riding it like that for at least 3 weeks! This is my winter bike /commuter so I need to sort something out. Do I:
1. Try and source a new fork. A quick google doesn’t have any obvious cheap options, with similar spec at least
2. Buy a 2nd set of wheels for my gravel bike and commute on that with some more road-y tyres
3. New bike!

For option 3, ideal spec is something that’ll take 32mm tyres + mudguards, rack mounts, disc brakes, probably steel (never had a steel bike and I like how they look)

So far I’ve looked at Omnium CXC, Brother Kepler, one of the many Surlys (although they seem super pricey in the UK). Genesis CDF maybe? Anything obvious I’m missing?

If you are after steel in particular, the Ribble CGR 725 is a good value.
Fairlight Strael or Secan if you want something fancier.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The 50x10 ratio is great for me to actually put power down when descending. Love it.

I'd need to do some extreme cadence drills to get that kind of spread across the cassette here lol

(the 2t gaps reduce the useful cogs for me though too)

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The Croix de Fer is super heavy, Surlies are indeed too pricy for what they are in Europe, I don't know much about the cxc but the bb looks very high in pictures so I guess that leaves the Kepler which I hear is an ok bike. It's very similar to the Straggler though but dunno about the price difference for you.

If you wanna spend more I know people who are very happy with their Fairlights but that's a step up in price.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Well, that’s not good:

3. New bike!

A new fork will be £100 to £200+ might be something to get advice from the LBS on. Easily worth doing though.

https://www.merlincycles.com/road-bike-forks-111352/

Have you checked how much heavier a steel disc brake bike will be be vs. your current bike?

For new bikes, look at Kinesis. New or used, plenty of options that fit your criteria, except for being steel. Racelight 4S Disc is a good used option, now discontinued. Or anything with a titanium or alu frame & discs from them will be decent. RTD, GTD etc.

Genesis is fine too. The equilibrium is another option, a bit lighter than the CDF, but still steel.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
just bought my first set of spd pedals the PD-M520 holyshit .. these pedals are heavy what the hell.. i dont think even my bmx pedals ever weighed this much.. feels like 1lb each lol :psyduck: i read these are good to start with

prior experience: only flat pedals

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Metal pedals just weigh more than cheap plastic pedals, the M520s aren’t especially heavy by MTB standards

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Metal pedals won't do this:

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

just been so long since i handled some pedals i guess, i NEVER! used plastic pedals.. aluminum though.

tarlibone, riding along the river huh.. how do you avoid the bug clouds from going into your eyes and mouth in the summer.. it'd be my favorite place to ride especially at night if it wasn't for the bug cloud along the whole path :getin:

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 22, 2023

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Turmoilx posted:

just been so long since i handled some pedals i guess, i NEVER! used plastic pedals.. aluminum though.

tarlibone, riding along the river huh.. how do you avoid the bug clouds from going into your eyes and mouth in the summer.. it'd be my favorite place to ride especially at night if it wasn't for the bug cloud along the whole path :getin:

Trail bug clouds are not my fave, but I just accept that you're gonna snort/eat one every so often.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I absolutely love my CdF as a winter bike but yeah it's heavy af, 15kg as I've got it set up

I put a grx crankset on it so hills weren't quite so torturous which helped

It's utterly bombproof

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skarsnik posted:

I absolutely love my CdF as a winter bike but yeah it's heavy af, 15kg as I've got it set up

I put a grx crankset on it so hills weren't quite so torturous which helped

It's utterly bombproof

Which is fine, but unless you’re doing loaded touring or something on it, just seems pointless extra weight. Double the weight of some bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I tell myself my heavy as gently caress bike just makes me fitter

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Goes downhill really well

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah my steel commuter is 13kg with front and rear racks, fenders, dynamo light etc.

I notice the weight when I ride with folks on racier setups, but don't mind it when I'm using it for commuting.

In retrospect I probably would've gone with an alu frame instead of steel, but most of the weight comes from the racks and poo poo, so I doubt I'd get the total below 10kg without spending a lot on light stuff.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I tell myself my heavy as gently caress bike just makes me fitter

Everything I read about Bromptons said they aren't good on hills but I've been having a blast pushing ~28 lbs of foldy bike up and down hills and pedestrian ramps. ymmv

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Turmoilx posted:

There are two riverside (more or less) trails in my area: Confluence Trail and the Sam Vadalabene (aka Great River Road) trail. Confluence doesn't really have a bug cloud problem because it's mostly either on top of a levee or down in Granite lovely. What you do have are large bugs that like to dive-bomb you; I haven't swallowed one of those yet, but they hurt when you hit 'em.

Vadalabene, on the other hand, can be nasty with clouds of bugs. I can usually see the clouds ahead of me, and I just put my head down, close my mouth, and plow through. The real problem is when you stop: the sweat starts gathering on your skin, and in a couple of seconds, you're in the center of a cloud of bugs.

As for night riding, Confluence is closed from dusk to dawn, and I'm not sure about the Vadalabene. But that said, in the summer, the bugs are a thousand times worse at night. You don't have the clouds of little gnats or anything, but you have an insane amount of mayflies and other river flying insects that near as I can tell just fly around looking for lights to swarm or cars to splatter onto. Driving on the river road at night leaves your car covered in bug guts. I would not want to be on my bike on that route.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Gear question: is there a CO2 tire inflator that uses the cartridges meant for airguns, which are unthreaded?

I ask because I have several airguns that use these cartridges, and thus I have a bunch of the cartridges on hand. I want a small emergency repair kit and I like the idea of a CO2 setup over a frame pump, but they all seem to use a threaded CO2 cartridge.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Metal pedals won't do this:

much easier to work on now

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my mtb bb sounds like it's full of gravel and the lbs isn't open on weekends. time for a new bike

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

much easier to work on now

That’s right

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Gear question: is there a CO2 tire inflator that uses the cartridges meant for airguns, which are unthreaded?

I ask because I have several airguns that use these cartridges, and thus I have a bunch of the cartridges on hand. I want a small emergency repair kit and I like the idea of a CO2 setup over a frame pump, but they all seem to use a threaded CO2 cartridge.

There are loads on aliexpress and you can even get ones that can use both kinds

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

looking at bike parts online with no target/direction just lookin to look and this is kinda mind blowing to me https://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram-red-etap-axs-shifter one shifter is 500 bones

the prices they put on somea these things thinking about how other parts of similar design but for not bikes are.. not like this

oh ok i see its carbon, and electric somehow

someone: i could make that on a pi.

what do you think is the most over priced bike part that is simply made ? or not simply made just inflated

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 23, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Has to be the absolute black jockey wheel thing with plastic bearings

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ilkhan posted:

You can get stats if you have either the 12 speed or the EWU-111 wireless unit, and have the garmin connected to it. Plug the file into https://di2stats.com.

bicievino posted:

Yeah my steel commuter is 13kg with front and rear racks, fenders, dynamo light etc.

I notice the weight when I ride with folks on racier setups, but don't mind it when I'm using it for commuting.

In retrospect I probably would've gone with an alu frame instead of steel, but most of the weight comes from the racks and poo poo, so I doubt I'd get the total below 10kg without spending a lot on light stuff.

Aluminium's not safe for racks if you're putting any load on them, so steel is definitely real. (Titanium is something that doesn't rhyme but works similarly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Titanium takes the strainium