Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

ConanThe3rd posted:

There's also the whole "matrix says no" thing going on, too.

Okay, that's very funny if it somehow applied

just very "what were we just talking about" while Anemone facepalms

Or hell, maybe the people in charge are aware of the amnesia effects around certain things and weaponize them whenever a conversation on TV gets too close to uncomfortable truths. Now I sound like Rue, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
We all know Rue is right about everything though. I don't see how it could go any other way.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like somebody, somewhere, is presumably freaking out about the whole "early barrier shutdown" thing, which makes it unlikely that anybody with information on the topic will just be overlooked. We haven't actually seen much of upper management so far, but sure the work of coordinating the defense of literally all remaining humans as far as we know isn't just handled by agents and the media?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like somebody, somewhere, is presumably freaking out about the whole "early barrier shutdown" thing, which makes it unlikely that anybody with information on the topic will just be overlooked. We haven't actually seen much of upper management so far, but sure the work of coordinating the defense of literally all remaining humans as far as we know isn't just handled by agents and the media?

Yeah that's a good point. This might be the way they learn that Undine is a person of interest and get them to contact her asap. Which might be how Undine and co learn some more about why things are the way they are, or at least partially. (since the whole amnesia thing is well.. a thing)

At least Goops can be discussed without being memory holed so there's gotta be some secrets that aren't affected. So the people in charge probably know something?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rand Brittain posted:

This would also be a great time to bring Rat Man back into the story, if he somehow dodges the amnesia effect since he's not a resident.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The working theory is messed-up MG and they can say: we (that is, HP, the famous celebrity and not a backup dancer survivor) think there's a rogue MG out there stalking and killing other MGs and we've both seen her. Also she makes prank calls sometimes?

The famous solo MG leading a vengeance crusade on-behalf-of writes its own celebrity TV headlines

We the reader know wot did it, but in-universe nobody has any reason to link it to the barrier shutting down early

It's going to be awkward if a reporter ambushes the other survivor of the Team Alchemical massacre for a reaction.

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 23, 2023

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Studios must like doing these MG interviews as they don't have to spend as much on the make up department

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I feel like we’re about to get some new, more team-oriented costumes next page with that hang on the (absolutely adorable) hand-holding.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They will merge into a single extra powerful MG.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bussamove posted:

I feel like we’re about to get some new, more team-oriented costumes next page with that hang on the (absolutely adorable) hand-holding.

Minimum is going to be matching accessories.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kennel posted:

They will merge into a single extra powerful MG.

Heartful Water? Alchemical Punch?

… Soggy Slap?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Moist Martial Arts

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Steam Punch

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mrs. and Mrs. Wells

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Heartful Tropical Punch

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

A thought, since I've been rereading: I've noticed some examples of short-range wireless transmission, like a TV remote and wireless microphones, but along with the lack of cell phones I don't think we've seen radios? Or anything that couldn't just be wholly wired in some way, like cable TV or the announcement system. Maybe I've missed something obvious or just haven't hit it again in my reread, but now I'm wondering if long-range wireless communication like radio technology was just completely excised from society when they bottled up because, perhaps, radio signals can get through the outer barrier. Or maybe there's something else going on making radio near-useless.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I believe Mary has specified on the Discord that the barrier messes with wireless communications. One of the early pages in chapter 1 originally had Tessa looking at a mobile phone while she was waiting for her friends, but that later got edited into her looking into a mirror. A slightly later page with Sylvia using a laptop was edited to be a calculator.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't source it but I feel like she's said all radio communications is impossible and the TVs are all wired. What wireless tech exists is magical girl tech like Mingxing's old arm. That's why MGs don't coordinate with radios and have to use flares as distress signals.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 4, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I kind of wonder how useful radio technology would even be if you're permanently confined to a single city. There are still some things it would be good for, but if you can potentially have wired connections to literally every location you could ever go to, it might not be worth maintaining the technology.

(Actively coordinating magical girls by radio seems like it would result in a much more military-style operation which seems to be either impossible or undesirable... possibly just because having that would be out-of-theme.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That may be so, but even within a team having comms would help. And distress calls would be meaningful.

I do wonder why they don't have the entire city subtly CCTVd, come to think of it. Maybe they don't have small camera technology available. (Really, it's one of those things that would just be off-theme, I suspect).

Or maybe cameras would just get covered by the inner barrier.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 4, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Being able to coordinate MG teams would be insanely useful and a sort of dispatcher system would help save more lives in the short and long run. But it also plays into the idea of isolation the setting has going on that everyone has to pick their territory and assistance is based on chance as to which other teams might be in the surrounding area for any given incident.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's off-theme, and I also suspect that by formalizing it too much, they'd risk making the public more aware that their city is basically protected by press-ganged child soldiers, rather than freelance volunteers. And with an effectively endless supply of magical girls available, losing a few here and there is a small price to pay to keep people from asking difficult questions.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's worth noting that in chapter 13 a safety centre had to wait for the barrier to reset even to use their landline phones, so the inner barrier is loving with telecoms even harder than the big bubble. Any camera system would probably only be able to record and store what it sees for later, which might be useful for forensics but won't help in any immediate tactical sense.
The loudspeakers announcing the barrier hours do seem to operate normally, but they still operate normally when everything is going wrong, so they might be entirely self-contained units just playing a tape on a clock.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
This is too drat cute.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Do you think they rehearsed that, or does choreography naturally come with being a MG?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
We have to wait for the second half of this are you kidding me

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if that's Undine's ribbon still materialising, or if it's adopted the same 'end in a white glow with blobby bits' that Kokoro's has (except with bubbles instead of hearts)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Managers: "Dammit, we should have saved that for the press conference."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

maltesh posted:

Managers: "Dammit, we should have saved that for the press conference."
That's exactly what I was thinking. But for what they're actually doing, it's better that they saved it, since it'd definitely take attention away from their talk about Goops.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Maybe this will be the moment where Arthur looks at them and goes "Oh" and it clicks that they're not just friends. :v:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

They're doing a little Charleston :kimchi:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Gaaaaaaay.

Good for them!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

Maybe this will be the moment where Arthur looks at them and goes "Oh" and it clicks that they're not just friends. :v:

“Oh they’re best friends, I get it now.”

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
That's adorable and I'm very happy for the two of them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pseudoscorpion posted:

They're doing a little Charleston :kimchi:

No seriously, is someone in universe recording this because this is adorable.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

This is TOO cute, oh my god. I'm going to absolutely die when the next page goes up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

No seriously, is someone in universe recording this because this is adorable.

According to word of god, transformations happen in a magical place outside of space and time and anyone outside of the girls themselves just see them transform in an instant flash.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Bussamove posted:

“Oh they’re best friends, I get it now.”

"I didn't realize they'd become roommates!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How much do we have to kickstart for this to be fully animated, because I am in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
https://twitter.com/freesiavacadoo/...ingawful.com%2F