Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bulletsponge13 posted:

I can't wait until he gets framed as a hero by certain spheres in the media.

Certain treason enthusiast congressmembers already are doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I've got Seattle on one side, Tacoma on the other, and Bangor across the sound so my nuclear war plans are to become free radicals

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I've got Seattle on one side, Tacoma on the other, and Bangor across the sound so my nuclear war plans are to become free radicals

We'll all just turn into chill & relaxed atoms on extended leave.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1649246577205350400?s=20

funny goodness, looking forward to F-15 video next

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A.o.D. posted:

I work in the world's largest rocket factory. I'm not worried about my post nuclear future.

I live near one of San Diego's many naval bases. I'm not worried either. My plan to stand outside with a paper towel roll sticking out of my pants while I give the missile the finger and hope my shadow gets burnt into a wall.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I live near one of San Diego's many naval bases. I'm not worried either. My plan to stand outside with a paper towel roll sticking out of my pants while I give the missile the finger and hope my shadow gets burnt into a wall.

Huntsville would 100% get flattened. Redstone Arsenal and all of the local defense industry related businesses around would ensure that. Maybe people on the other side of Monte Sano and Chapman mountains would survive, but the city would end up smoldering, radioactive red clay.

I guess the basement here would survive as long as the house didn't collapse into it, but that would make a lovely bunker. Best case scenario is one of our vehicles is still useable and 72 is clear as an escape route. To loving where though? Coastal Georgia?

gently caress it. Same deal as you. Wiggle my dick at the incoming apocalypse and hope for the best. Although... nuclear fire might clear up the pollen and mosquitos some.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I live next to a place with nukes and my workplace is also assuredly a target. So I'm gonna get vaporized unless I'm driving between the two.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

gently caress it. Same deal as you. Wiggle my dick at the incoming apocalypse and hope for the best. Although... nuclear fire might clear up the pollen and mosquitos some.

According to the esteemed futurist series Fallout, radiation just makes mosquitoes bigger and meaner. Sorry.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

According to the esteemed futurist series Fallout, radiation just makes mosquitoes bigger and meaner. Sorry.

Great. My luck, I end up a ghoul. Endless mega-squitos, forever.

I should really stock up on 12ga.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Personally, I look forward to rad scorpions with ghetto blasters doing noseblunts over the smouldering remains of my city

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I used to live immediately behind the Pentagon. Now I live nestled between DC, Goddard Space Center, and Ft. Meade. I'm boned either way. My wife does not like this topic whenever it comes up Her family likes to ask from time to time how bad things would be and surely even if it was only ONE bomb hitting DC, they would be fine. lol, no.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Arc Light posted:

Precisely.

It's not about the specific material that this particular goober leaked. It's that he did it at all. It's too late to undo anything that A1C Teixeira posted, but by nailing him to the wall, the US can at least try to keep the next idiot from spilling his guts on Discord for e-cred. Teixeira's info, in the big picture, isn't much that OSINT didn't already suss out, but that's irrelevant. Lots of classified material is boring, but it's classified because the means by which it was acquired is sensitive. Divulging that kind of classified data risks the loss of that source of intel if the adversary can extrapolate how the intel was gathered, whether that source is technological or an actual human on the inside. Given the caveats associated with the intel that Teixeira leaked, both of those are on the table, but more so the signals intelligence aspect.

Hammering Teixeira means the next person will think twice about revealing something that would get an asset killed.

Severity of punishment does not really deter. Literally nobody will leak the files if the sentence is 10 years but not leak if the sentence is 50 years.

"Research underscores the more significant role that certainty plays in deterrence than severity — it is the certainty of being caught that deters a person from committing crime, not the fear of being punished or the severity of the punishment."

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/247350.pdf

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

I used to live immediately behind the Pentagon. Now I live nestled between DC, Goddard Space Center, and Ft. Meade. I'm boned either way. My wife does not like this topic whenever it comes up Her family likes to ask from time to time how bad things would be and surely even if it was only ONE bomb hitting DC, they would be fine. lol, no.

In a way, we're all wilo567's balls. Denuded, irradiated, moisturized, in our lane, flourishing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm assuming the first 30 minutes of spicy cooking dust blowing east from the Great Pascagoula Pit (formerly doing business as Ingalls Shipbuilding) will take care of my family

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm thinking of looking up how to write "Hit here for extra points" in Chinese and painting it on my roof next to a bullseye.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Blistex posted:

I live above a Minuteman missile silo, and below another Minuteman missile silo.

Imagining WW3 and you hitting the ceiling with a broom. “Hey keep it down up there!”

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Personally, I look forward to rad scorpions with ghetto blasters doing noseblunts over the smouldering remains of my city

in a half pipe made up of ground down human teeth.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mlmp08 posted:

Sure, deterring criminal behavior is a key focus of the court system. But that doesn’t mean people are only deterred by 50 years in prison.

The real deterrent value for a dummy posting classified docs, even if he only does 5-10 is “we will catch you, dumbass”

IIRC studies on deterrence wrt criminal penalties function on two things 1) does the person believe that they will be caught (and this is the biggest factor) and 2) how severe are the penalties, with ofc diminishing returns on super long prison sentences (iirc the drop off is around 10 years but don't quote me on that).

edit: beaten by vahakyla with the study and everything

Vahakyla posted:

Severity of punishment does not really deter. Literally nobody will leak the files if the sentence is 10 years but not leak if the sentence is 50 years.

"Research underscores the more significant role that certainty plays in deterrence than severity — it is the certainty of being caught that deters a person from committing crime, not the fear of being punished or the severity of the punishment."

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/247350.pdf

key thing wrt severity is that there does have to be a consequences because 'will not get caught' is effectively the same in the risk assessment as 'there is no penalty for being caught.' That ofc comes out of a criminal justice context so the argument is made in the context of the question whether we should legislate more mandatory minimums and 3-strikes-laws and so on.

I suspect that there's also a weakness of simply transposing that onto mishandling classified materials cases because basically everyone in those cases will have been educated previously on the consequences of mishandling materials and likely has a better understanding of what happens if you willfully start leaking stuff than, like, some dude selling drugs does of all the potential laws he's breaking. It's a peculiar case because you actually could educated everyone on how bad the consequences are, though tbh there probably isn't much point making the penalties much more extreme since the current situation where it ends your career, you go to prison for a non-trivial amount of years, and you end up in a huge amount of very public disgrace is hard to top.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 23, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Herstory Begins Now posted:

IIRC studies on deterrence wrt criminal penalties function on two things 1) does the person believe that they will be caught (and this is the biggest factor) and 2) how severe are the penalties, with ofc diminishing returns on super long prison sentences (iirc the drop off is around 10 years but don't quote me on that).

meanwhile, in the bay area, we are performing extreme gymnastics in finding people who are very mad about being democrats because some parts of the left may be okay with assigning a 15 year sentence where we could have instead given someone life or death

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1649246577205350400?s=20

funny goodness, looking forward to F-15 video next

F-16s are much cheaper, like $10mil cheaper. I think the chances are, if/when the USA eventually gives them jets, it'd be much more likely to be F-16s than F-15s, for that reason if nothing else.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Can someone give me a tier ranking of fighter jets, I'm aware F22 is roughly equal to god, but below that I'm uncertain

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can someone give me a tier ranking of fighter jets, I'm aware F22 is roughly equal to god, but below that I'm uncertain

S tier: F-35
A tier: F-22, F/A-18
B tier: F-15EX, F-16
C tier: A-10 Warthog :v:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There's not really a significant difference in 'combat power' between the models within a generation if they have all been kept up-to-date with refits, afaik. Availability will probably be the primary factor in what Ukraine gets.

F-22 and F-35 are 5th-gen fighters, which emphasizes stealth and integrated battlefield awareness to a degree not previously seen. Ukraine is not going to get these.

F-16 is a 4th-gen multirole fighter excelling particularly at being relatively cheap and having been mass-produced so much that there's a gently caress-ton of them in existence now. As a bonus, a lot of NATO airforces that are currently upgrading to F-35s will soon be looking to get rid of their F-16s anyway, which is what makes it the most obvious candidate for Ukraine.

F-15s and F-18s are 4th gen too, but somewhat more expensive and not as a numerous as the F-16, so sourcing some for Ukraine along with the necessary spare parts for maintenance might be harder.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The F-35 is better than the F-16, and are good for multirole operations
The F-22 is better than the F-15, and both are specialized in air combat.

A-10s and F-14s suck.

The F-18 is over there in the navy corner doing it's own thing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The other problem with criminal deterrence is that your attempt to create an objective risk-reward framework that dissuades people from crime is colliding with the reality that criminals are the kind of idiot who will do something extremely criminal for minecraft discord server clout.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

S tier: F-35
A tier: F-22, F/A-18
B tier: F-15EX, F-16
C tier: A-10 Warthog :v:

The Superhornet upgrade to the F/A-18, sure. As far as I know the original is basically the same tier as the F-16 and friends. Though I think avionics were nicer than the F-16 even then.

The F-16 is fine. It's not cutting edge any more, but it still gets the job done and it's relatively cheap. And it's gorgeous, which is obviously very important.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Ignoring mission type:
F22 > F35 > F/A18, Euro planes > F16, F15, Korea planes > Russia Planes (either outdated or don't exist).

China planes are probably somewhere around Russia, but it's hard to know. While they're rapidly advancing, it's impossible to know true capabilities. They're probably being held back by engine tech more than anything.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 23, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ignoring mission type:
F22 > F35 > F/A18, Euro planes > F16, F15, Korea planes > Russia Planes (either outdated or don't exist).

China planes are probably somewhere around Russia, but it's hard to know. While they're rapidly advancing, it's impossible to know true capabilities. They're probably being held back by engine tech more than anything.

F-35 has more advanced weaponry and sensors than the F22, as well as the ability to basically see as one big jet across your entire group of F35's, and it doesn't even have to be F35s from the same country. Its data link capability among allied F35s makes it better than the F22 straight up.

F22 would win the dogfight, but the F35 would kill the 22 before you got to the merge.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
However its true they-won't-tell-us capacities stack up, I perhaps should have it put it last because nobody other than the US is really in a position to have a luxury air superiority only fighter and it's so expensive even the US lost interest.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

M_Gargantua posted:

A-10s and F-14s suck.

I think you're missing an extremely important point which is that the F-14 looks super rad and thus I believe it belongs at the top of the chart.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If we’re going by looks, bring back the F-4 Phantom.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
@ me when we have VF-25's

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Slashrat posted:

There's not really a significant difference in 'combat power' between the models within a generation if they have all been kept up-to-date with refits, afaik. Availability will probably be the primary factor in what Ukraine gets.

F-22 and F-35 are 5th-gen fighters, which emphasizes stealth and integrated battlefield awareness to a degree not previously seen. Ukraine is not going to get these.

F-16 is a 4th-gen multirole fighter excelling particularly at being relatively cheap and having been mass-produced so much that there's a gently caress-ton of them in existence now. As a bonus, a lot of NATO airforces that are currently upgrading to F-35s will soon be looking to get rid of their F-16s anyway, which is what makes it the most obvious candidate for Ukraine.

F-15s and F-18s are 4th gen too, but somewhat more expensive and not as a numerous as the F-16, so sourcing some for Ukraine along with the necessary spare parts for maintenance might be harder.

This, as noted, the actual discriminator is that there have been 4600+ F16s built and are operated by approximately everyone and will perform from pretty well to exceptionally well in all the roles needed by Ukraine. So, some can be spared without any real impact and parts and training on maintenance is readily available.

The F15E would probably be overall better but there have been only 400 of those made and sending even a few dozen is going to impact other things.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Not to mention, there are several state air guard wings in the process of replacing their 16s with 35s. Surplus them for a dollar.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Certain treason enthusiast congressmembers already are doing this.

The wild thing is that they don’t even have a reason to want this guy to go free other than, “he’s white and Christian and it’s embarrassing to Biden”.

They actively take positions in opposition to the national interest and call themselves “patriots” and their constituents seem to think that’s appropriate.

Anyway, in other rumor news the scuttlebutt is that Teixeira was able to get access to all those docs because he was acting as a document courier. He’d be handed the locked bag and the key and then just drive home, open the bag and take pictures.

I assume these docs are all collateral (I haven’t seen them and won’t go looking) because I thought that SAR docs require a 2 person carry for precisely this reason?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 23, 2023

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Most of what's been referenced in the news media has been briefing slides, so you're probably right.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

orange juche posted:

F-35 has more advanced weaponry and sensors than the F22, as well as the ability to basically see as one big jet across your entire group of F35's, and it doesn't even have to be F35s from the same country. Its data link capability among allied F35s makes it better than the F22 straight up.

F22 would win the dogfight, but the F35 would kill the 22 before you got to the merge.

Is this because the F22s stealth doesn’t hold up to the F35s radar capabilities? Or are you assuming integration with other high powered/low frequency radar sources? And if F35s can detect the F22s well enough to take them down at range, what prevents anyone else from using the same methods?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is this because the F22s stealth doesn’t hold up to the F35s radar capabilities? Or are you assuming integration with other high powered/low frequency radar sources? And if F35s can detect the F22s well enough to take them down at range, what prevents anyone else from using the same methods?

Stealth fighter does not equal invisible fighter, this was Trump's mistake. The fact that the F35 can pass targeting and sensor data back and forth between aircraft seamlessly allows you to do something akin to what fire directors on battleships used to, use far apart view points to determine that the thing you're looking at is in fact a plane and not a bird, and give you a better idea of it's bearing, range, and speed. Remember we're talking way BVR fighting, look down/shoot down stuff and not top gun maverick poo poo, so you can figure out a stealth fighter is out there, your targeting systems can pass that info to your missiles and you can engage the target even though it's low observable

(Caveat: I'm not actually sure if the F35 *can* use sensor data this way at this time, but it is definitely within the realm of possibilities for a distributed sensor/data setup like it has. If it can, nobody's going to say it can until 2095 or whatever)

In a 1v1 dogfight though in visual range both planes would have a hard time shooting each other down, but the f22 is more powerful and agile than the 35, so better than even odds of it winning if it can close.

This isn't exactly germane to Ukraine poo poo though so maybe should be in the airpower thread.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 23, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you think of fighter jets in a wins-above-replacement state of mind, they're really, really suboptimal for Ukraine. GBAD is cheaper, and the cost for a third party to sustain future Ukrainian 4th-gen jets for Ukraine's jets is huge compared to paying sustainment costs for entire armored units and building up additional artillery round production, to be donated for free.

I guess a European country could just ship old F-16s to Ukraine and say "figure it out," without providing a maintenance and logistics pipeline but that seems pretty pointless.

But in a gamble between which is better, spending $300 million getting a fighter squadron off the ground vs spending that money investing in expanded artillery or SAM production capacity to Ukraine, I bet the latter is a more operationally and strategically relevant payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GBAD is a far better investment for Ukraine than hooking them up with a fighter squadron. In a perfect world you'd do both so you can do intercepts of things that slide between your batteries of GBAD, but ground based defenses are far more bang for the buck and much easier to train than a Western fighter.