Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Peteyfoot posted:

Odd question, but is there a roguelike or roguelikes that would be particularly suited for playing with an arcade stick?

Nova Drift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Adam Bowen posted:

Desktop Dungeons was one of the first indie games I remember being really hyped up for, I think there was a free alpha version that convinced me to pre-order and I remember being really excited following news about the game for a long time after that. It's still a great game, but I'm absolutely baffled by the remake. It is hideous, probably one of the worst redesigns I've ever seen, and significantly harder to read and plan your run as a result. It was really cool of them to make a new version and release it for free to existing owners, but I can't wrap my head around how nobody prototyped a dungeon first with this art style and saw that it didn't work at all.

drat I don't get this at all, I like the look of the remake a lot. I think the devs did a good job here and calling it "hideous" feels insanely disingenuous but I guess I never played the original so :shrug:

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

explosivo posted:

drat I don't get this at all, I like the look of the remake a lot. I think the devs did a good job here and calling it "hideous" feels insanely disingenuous but I guess I never played the original so :shrug:
The loss in readability is the issue :

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't really get the complaint, I can pick things out fairly easily in both pictures.

Also, really, zoom all the way out and you pretty much have the top picture just with 3d assets.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 18, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just gonna assume this is one of those things I won't get unless I played the original for a while and got used to how that game looks, I see all the same information and they don't need to have a giant side bar taking up 1/4 of the screen anymore. You can even zoom out to get a fully top down view of the map like the original if you want.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
honestly i always hated the finished version of DD's art, my favorite was the alpha build from however long ago that was.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea was gonna say, Desktop Dungeons was always a pixel art game to me, I didn't like the 'new' art in the paid addition so I never migrated over.

edit: looking back it now, it's a teensy bit rough, and I guess I'm projecting a bit from Spelunky. But Spelunky, that was a shame! Derek Yu's artwork was fab, I own the Steam version but still prefer to play the original.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 19, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Countblanc posted:

honestly i always hated the finished version of DD's art, my favorite was the alpha build from however long ago that was.

Yeah, this. I barely played Desktop Dungeons after its full release, but I played the poo poo out of the alpha that didn't even have the town screen.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is a free demo/prologue for a pretty neat roguelite called Shogun Showdown out on steam.

I liked it, check it out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nova Drift has a new update and it’s 50% off. Buy it people.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Nova Drift has a new update and it’s 50% off. Buy it people.

It's one of the few games that have a really good Itano Circus for you to use.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
It seems they did more than update the graphics too. The fighter has a different xp ability in the new one for instance.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is this the thread to talk about Revita? I got it on the recommendation of the Steam thread a couple days ago and I would like some tips on how to beat Acceptance. Reached this guy three times already and all three times weren't even close; the other bosses were much more manageable.

Specifically, I am having trouble with spear columns to second spear columns. Not sure what I am missing with the timing of the switch, or if there's actually a safe spot that I should be exploiting instead.

Great game, loving it so far. Fave weapon has been shotgun with bullets that pop out from the crosshair to create a sniper shotgun!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Artelier posted:

Specifically, I am having trouble with spear columns to second spear columns. Not sure what I am missing with the timing of the switch, or if there's actually a safe spot that I should be exploiting instead.

Revita rules! I think a lot people (myself included) are waiting for 2.0 to hop back in. For the spear columns all the warning decals are intimidating but iirc if you have trouble with the timing just make sure you're on the ground and scoot to the left/right when the rising spears vanish -- there's a grace period if you're on the ground since the second wave drops from the ceiling. If you hug the left/right walls I *think* those are spots that are never hit by the spear waves, but don't quote me on that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The above is correct on both counts. The timing for scooting between them definitely felt weird and tricky as a new player. But trust me, that's an attack you'll love to see once you figure it out because it leaves the boss wiiiide open for ages.

You can also reposition using a dash if you've got the hang of tweaking your dash distance. This is sometimes essential if there's lingering bullets on-screen.

Also don't forget to keep an eye on your self-kickback sending you into a spear.

Though while we're on the subject of Revita, I actually managed to complete the last "real" achievement the other day, one I honestly wasn't sure was going to happen - no hit clearing Last Resort. :toot:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Of the many "Card Rogues" of late, and doubtless others right now that haven't yet incidentally gotten caught upon my brain sieve, Dino Mercs may well be a distinctive one to watch having started Early Access given DINOSAURS and multi-deck orientation, mutators, and misc other smarter design attempts at something more arcadey.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1827640/DINO_MERCS/

quote:

DINO MERCS is an arcade-style roguelite deckbuilding game where you play as a veteran member of Dark Solar Defense, a shadowy private military corporation run by dinosaur mercenaries. The democratic government of the planet Velraterra has fallen to the fascist forces, and you've been hired to scavenge and compete with rival mercenary groups. To survive, you will go on operations, engage in fierce combat, and defend your forward operating base from attackers.

FEATURES:

Strategic Deckbuilding: In order to survive and complete your mission, craft multiple decks from a growing collection of cards. Different decks will allow for different strategies and gameplay experiences.
Multiple Playable Characters: Try out different cards and ways of playing by playing as one of three unique playable characters, with more to come!
Fight Enemy Mercs: Fight 15 different enemy dinosaur mercenaries, including Merc Killers, elite enemies that will test your limits.
High Score Chaser: The game's infinite nature and arcade style of play allows for ever-escalating levels of power and challenge.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

Is this the thread to talk about Revita? I got it on the recommendation of the Steam thread a couple days ago and I would like some tips on how to beat Acceptance. Reached this guy three times already and all three times weren't even close; the other bosses were much more manageable.

Great game, loving it so far. Fave weapon has been shotgun with bullets that pop out from the crosshair to create a sniper shotgun!

Just FYI if you're playing on PC the dev recommends that everybody opt into the beta branch version of the game, while all the new content from the upcoming big 2.0 update isn't in there, a lot of QOL/balance changes have been implemented and will make the game more fun (and a touch easier)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the Revita tips! As a person of sound health and mind, I have managed to obliterate Acceptance and I guess the real game starts now. Did it with sniper that had 130% damage, and just not buying anything in the last level so I could tank a million hits as I figure out the boss' patterns.

Also gonna hop onto that beta branch, wasn't aware, thank you!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I gave wildfrost a try and to be honest, I think it's low review rating makes sense.

Positives: the art is beautiful and the combat itself is pretty cool.
Negatives: the game makes you wait for long animations way too often, and the deckbuilding aspect is just extremely bad. The number of cards you get to see (and pick) is so low that it just doesn't work properly.

To clarify: I don't think the game is too hard (I won within the 2h period). But great art and good combat is not sufficient when the deckbuilding is so bad/limited.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Revita

Well, my next run my first relic was the Ambrosia, and uh...that was ridiculously easy whee

Question: Are tickets next run only or can I hoard them? I feel like sometimes they just disappear but I only unlocked the mechanic so not sure if I'm tracking it right.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Walh Hara posted:

Anyone else playing Warriors of the Nile 2?

I'm honestly extremely impressed, it's way better than my initial expressions from the screenshots/videos. It has the same balance philosphy as a game like Monster Train: you can get some ridiculously strong combos, but you can't plan it in advance and the enemy power ramps up fast enough that it's necessary (especially the optional act 4). The neat thing is that the level-up boosts are extremely conditional, which makes it sometimes difficult to predict what the best choice will be long term.
Next to that it has more content than I expected and the meta progression is pretty fast and not that impactful.

Still not entirely sure what the best economy choices are. I tend to prioritize carvings a lot, as opposed to getting weapon slots and items.

I picked it up during the last sale due to a reference in a thread, and after a string of losses and some metaprogression buys it's really clicked and I'm enjoying it a lot. It does feel similar to Monster Train but FF:T, and maybe a bit more randomness compared to MT. I had some ridiculously stupid tablet and gear combos pop for my first wins and can't manage to even get close to replicating a similar setup as there's just too much randomness to both what gear drops and what tablets you can choose. It's a positive change though, as I spent some time on a fresh install of Monster Train while on vacation and found myself largely steering down the same paths.

The length of a run is a bit long at ~2 hours for a 3act win.

I tend to avoid carvings and focus on items, especially if I have some gear that can be runed/enchanted. I did get a carving that doubled rewards from Elite battles that I got two uses out of, but one time I took (I think a carving) that gave me the option of re-rolling tablet rewards, except by that point I had a single tablet reward encounter remaining. It would be nice in some of those screens if you could drop back and look at the map of the chapter.

The best tactic for tablet choices I've found is to mostly focus on one character early provided each tablet choice you get for that character is complementary or at least generally useful, rather than spreading them out across each, and then try to focus on a 2nd one when/if gear and tablet options line up right. I tried act 4 once and died on the first battle as I had a very strong Saint of Dawn with many strong beetles, against ~10 AoE melee enemies who promptly chewed them all up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Artelier posted:

Revita

Well, my next run my first relic was the Ambrosia, and uh...that was ridiculously easy whee

Question: Are tickets next run only or can I hoard them? I feel like sometimes they just disappear but I only unlocked the mechanic so not sure if I'm tracking it right.

Next run only, you can't hoard them. It's kind of a weird system to adjust to but I really grew to like it -- even if you aren't in a position to win a run or unlock specific achievements etc. it's always worth pushing as far as you can because that means more ticket options for the next run

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
ravenswatch is really good, but very early access. if this ever becomes a game with a decent amount of content though, it's a must play

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Pervis posted:

I picked it up during the last sale due to a reference in a thread, and after a string of losses and some metaprogression buys it's really clicked and I'm enjoying it a lot. It does feel similar to Monster Train but FF:T, and maybe a bit more randomness compared to MT. I had some ridiculously stupid tablet and gear combos pop for my first wins and can't manage to even get close to replicating a similar setup as there's just too much randomness to both what gear drops and what tablets you can choose. It's a positive change though, as I spent some time on a fresh install of Monster Train while on vacation and found myself largely steering down the same paths.

The length of a run is a bit long at ~2 hours for a 3act win.

I tend to avoid carvings and focus on items, especially if I have some gear that can be runed/enchanted. I did get a carving that doubled rewards from Elite battles that I got two uses out of, but one time I took (I think a carving) that gave me the option of re-rolling tablet rewards, except by that point I had a single tablet reward encounter remaining. It would be nice in some of those screens if you could drop back and look at the map of the chapter.

The best tactic for tablet choices I've found is to mostly focus on one character early provided each tablet choice you get for that character is complementary or at least generally useful, rather than spreading them out across each, and then try to focus on a 2nd one when/if gear and tablet options line up right. I tried act 4 once and died on the first battle as I had a very strong Saint of Dawn with many strong beetles, against ~10 AoE melee enemies who promptly chewed them all up.

I've noticed my run time has been going down, despite climbing the difficulty ladder. First runs took me ~2h30 without act 4, but my last run took me 1h40 min including chapter 4 on challenge lvl 25.

Yeah, it's very rare that you can get all three warriors to godly status. Every warrior can become extremely powerful*, but you can't predict before the map starts which warrior you'll be focusing on. I think in most of my runs I end up with 2 warriors that are insanely powerful and one warrior that's just happy to survive.

*) I actually haven't been able yet to get the falcon hunter/icarus to this OP state yet, but I think I just never got lucky with her. The assassin is also weird: she never was completely broken strong, but she's also never useless. All others have reached "clears out act 4 almost alone" status.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I’ve tried the game but I legit can’t get to a point where one of the heroes starts carrying. It doesn’t help that I don’t like the 3 starting guys though

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I bought WotNile yesterday on this thread's advice and it's very close to the game I've been looking for for years--I've really wanted a good tactics roguelike that both A) isn't from the 'cover and guns' X-Com mold and B) has baseline abilities more interesting than just basic attacks. Horizon's Gate and Othercide are probably the two other games that have come closest to what I've been searching for, but this holds its own with those.

I managed to get my first win on my third run, I think just in time to unlock the new classes. The game is fun, but it definitely has that "you need one of your characters to break the game to win" vibe people are describing. I've only ever been able to get the scythe warrior there, but by the end of my most recent two runs he was hitting some pretty goofy combos where he could rack up like 30 armor and then do damage to all nearby enemies based on his current armor x2. I have no idea how to make either of the other two characters come online, though--the halo archer is just so fragile, while the star mage can get locked down so easily; both other characters would inevitably just insta-die the moment they left the scythe guy's protective ult range. It doesn't help that the enemy AI is pretty good in a "ignore the high-defense character and just rush down the squishies" sort of way.

I'm hooked, though. It sounds like there are ways to make the other characters into room-clearing monsters, so I just have to keep trying stuff out with them.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

OtspIII posted:

I bought WotNile yesterday on this thread's advice and it's very close to the game I've been looking for for years--I've really wanted a good tactics roguelike that both A) isn't from the 'cover and guns' X-Com mold and B) has baseline abilities more interesting than just basic attacks. Horizon's Gate and Othercide are probably the two other games that have come closest to what I've been searching for, but this holds its own with those.

I managed to get my first win on my third run, I think just in time to unlock the new classes. The game is fun, but it definitely has that "you need one of your characters to break the game to win" vibe people are describing. I've only ever been able to get the scythe warrior there, but by the end of my most recent two runs he was hitting some pretty goofy combos where he could rack up like 30 armor and then do damage to all nearby enemies based on his current armor x2. I have no idea how to make either of the other two characters come online, though--the halo archer is just so fragile, while the star mage can get locked down so easily; both other characters would inevitably just insta-die the moment they left the scythe guy's protective ult range. It doesn't help that the enemy AI is pretty good in a "ignore the high-defense character and just rush down the squishies" sort of way.

I'm hooked, though. It sounds like there are ways to make the other characters into room-clearing monsters, so I just have to keep trying stuff out with them.

The first game I've won, my star mage was Aoe-ing a third of the map and instakilling enemies based on his amount of stars.
I think the easiest way to carry with someone is to give them all the tablets. During the game I'm speaking of, I gave epic/legendary upgrades to the warrior and hunter if I had them offered (and nothing particularly interesting for the mage), but most of the upgrades went to the mage.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
The Halo Hunter doesn't need a lot to come online, anything that gives her more damage will do. She just needs to secure a kill a turn to keep her in her halo form. With a few upgrades I find she's more than capable of killing the whole map by herself, and one of the characters that require the least investment to get going.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

The halo archer is super busted when you get her going. She just needs some damage and anything that interacts with her halo form. I was able to 1 round the 3rd and 4th zones with her by just triple attacking in halo form and sweeping the map.

You'll have to meta progression unlock parts of every units kit, but ultimately they are all capable of being your carry. Breaking the game is fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I cleared my first WOTNile run on my second try, after giving the Halo Archer an upgrade that lets her attack twice if there were two or more enemies within range (which, lol). She just kept murdering everything and refilling her Miracle Gauge. It was nuts.

That being said that run was long as hell! It took like 2 hours!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Halo hunter is especially cool when you start to get to use her ult when she's already in halo form. She has some very good +energy tablets/items as well.

Walh Hara posted:

*) I actually haven't been able yet to get the falcon hunter/icarus to this OP state yet, but I think I just never got lucky with her.

Fixed:
This icarus had the second highest amount of dmg of any character in any of my runs (at 17k).

The trick is that "if Z then act again" can trigger all of these "if X then +Y dmg this turn" things again, with the black sword doubling attack every time you use miracle.

This was a slower run than usual, my run before this took 1h33 (also including act 4).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was reviewing the new roguelite games on Steam. These held my attention:

Trinity Fusion. Metrodvancia + roguelite + self-proclaimed good combat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Ebjk0A864
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uum9F-WH9c
(they are different trailers, thumbnail can't be trusted)

Crab Champions. Risk of Rain 2, but with a crab. Of course. Super positive reviews on Steam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA3mHF4W980

Neon Echo. Side scrolling anime thing. I lol'ed with the voice acting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-20pJR3PzLU

Bio Prototype. I have to try this because it looks a game like Brotato or Nova Drift, a game with emphasis on build variety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2venFrhD7cE

Mr. Sun's Hatbox. It has hats!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCta8yoMPw

OTXO. Clearly if you want Hotline Miami's action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rF8pdlKs3E

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 23, 2023

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

The dev has stated he was inspired by MGS 5 and Spelunky. There's also a bit of X-com base building and culling hordes of rookies with lovely perks until a few stand outs level up.

It's definitely very Spelunky because you WILL die to multiple goofy interactions as you learn what all the various hats do.

Reposting my videos from the Steam thread:

https://i.imgur.com/NNYLOfa.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/UKW8Ekm.mp4

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Any game that has "dehat" as a verb at least deserves a look.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Copying my post from the steam thread:

I finished Mr. Suns Hatbox after 10 hours. I'd highly recommend the game, it doesn't overstay its welcome and the gameplay itself is super addicting.

I don't know how the dev managed to combine Spelunky/Heat Signature with Peace Walker/MGS5 but somehow he did. Its fun to unleash your inner loot goblin by fultoning everything you can see and the absolutely wild physics shenanigans happening with all the weapons/hats/traps is insane. The balance is a bit off (there are a few guns you always want to use and some you never will, same with quirks etc.) but overall I had a great time. Give it a chance! Edit: Also a ton of little charming details in the game, each stage has the alarm sirens in sync with the music if you trigger the alarm.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 23, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Big Bio Prototype fan here

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone tried OTXO yet?

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone tried OTXO yet?

Played a bit, 3 runs, beat the first boss. It is what it says on the tin: Roguelite Hotline Miami-like with a health bar and a slow-mo power. You start each run able to choose one buff for free, things like tighter shotgun spread, longer combo time, killing enemies refilling your focus bar. You earn currency by killing enemies, with fast kills building a combo that earns you more. You can spend the currency on buying more buffs every few levels, or dump it into unlocking new buffs. I haven't seen all the meta-progression and unlocks let, but the gameplay is pretty fun.

My only complaint is the balance feels odd. Maybe its too much Hotline Miami, but you have too much health and it refills completely every room. And focus doesn't rebuild fast enough/last long enough. I think I would prefer having half the health but better slow-mo powers. Its still a lot of fun, though. Minor complaint: no friendly fire for enemies. Had two enemies stack up on a door, I rolled out between them and one fired a shotgun at me, which passed harmlessly through his buddy. Very disappointing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Revita

So I beat the game up until 5 shards, and they're like collect these items at these two areas. The issue is, I don't actually know how to trigger either thing. In that same run, I did manage to go to the Deepest Sea or whatever it was called, the underwater area with frogs and ducks of death, but I have no idea what I did to trigger that. I guess it could be chance but with how fine-tuned the game as a whole is, I seriously doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Artelier posted:

Revita

So I beat the game up until 5 shards, and they're like collect these items at these two areas. The issue is, I don't actually know how to trigger either thing. In that same run, I did manage to go to the Deepest Sea or whatever it was called, the underwater area with frogs and ducks of death, but I have no idea what I did to trigger that. I guess it could be chance but with how fine-tuned the game as a whole is, I seriously doubt it.

You gave shields to the goddess statues that appeared in the icy caverns. To spoil you on how to access the other alt-zone, you want to shoot the beehives in the first zone. One will be in a secret eoom