Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Is Age of Calamity fun? Do the stages take more than 15 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yes and yes, for the story ones

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Is there an easy way to switch between arrows (not bows) in BOTW without having to go into the inventory each time?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

With the bow equipped (maybe drawn?), the d-pad that changes shields changed arrows instead.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Gambrinus posted:

Is there an easy way to switch between arrows (not bows) in BOTW without having to go into the inventory each time?

iirc it's the "switch shield" button when you have a bow drawn

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yup, d-pad left with your bow out

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tokelau All Star posted:

If AoC ran well (i guess a PC emulator can probably handle that) it'd be on my top 10 action games ever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm waiting for the Switch 2 port

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
EDIT: Wrong thread

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tokelau All Star posted:

I often have times around the 45-minute range or longer in the main storyline battles, but that's taking time to look for koroks and loot. Most of the time there is a lull in the flow or you can avoid triggering events for that purpose. Overall it's not as hectic as the first HW unless you approach it that way deliberately, and the only time bonus you get is extra rupees. There's no rating system like in HW.

I thought it was great fun, there are a ton of shorter challenge and training stages too, just not nearly as many as HW but that's a pretty high bar.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been playing more Second Wind all weekend, and it's definitely still really fun, especially all the brand new content like a big cave system connecting the different parts of hyrule, but the quality of the shrine edits is very mixed. it seems like every shrine flips a coin and half the time the result is a fun twist on the original with a bit more difficulty and/or combat or something completely new and pretty interesting, and the other half the time the shrine is a 20 minute snoozefest where they filled literally every corner of available space with twisty corridors that you traverse, mindlessly pressing buttons and flipping switches while absolutely nothing of interest happens. Sometimes you fight a guardian scout!

some of the designers for these new shrines clearly took the "shrines are too easy/short to be dungeons" complaints a bit too literally lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/1649954255682564097

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Let me fuse a horse to the end of a spear or so help me god……

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If your horse is not the Giant Horse then you are just horsing around as they say

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Totk (and retroactively Botw) needs more insect enemies. I loving despise moths, so I would love to fight a big rear end version of Mothula. Also, most of my memories of OoT were looking for skulltulas

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Have we seen Tektites in the last few Zeldas?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SirBukkake posted:

Totk (and retroactively Botw) needs more insect enemies. I loving despise moths, so I would love to fight a big rear end version of Mothula. Also, most of my memories of OoT were looking for skulltulas

Very satisfying to get skulltulas and revisit kakariko to see the freak family slowly restored into an even more hideous visage.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I want a skulltula who's been cursed to become human and you gotta restore them to a skulltula

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want to crawl in the corner of a dungeon, not sit around in my povo shack.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fifty Three posted:

I want a skulltula who's been cursed to become human and you gotta restore them to a skulltula

To do this you have to kill humans and collect human tokens.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fifty Three posted:

same except I'm the human

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Mahoning posted:

Guardians are Tektites in an LSD fever dream.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Amppelix posted:

I've been playing more Second Wind all weekend, and it's definitely still really fun, especially all the brand new content like a big cave system connecting the different parts of hyrule, but the quality of the shrine edits is very mixed. it seems like every shrine flips a coin and half the time the result is a fun twist on the original with a bit more difficulty and/or combat or something completely new and pretty interesting, and the other half the time the shrine is a 20 minute snoozefest where they filled literally every corner of available space with twisty corridors that you traverse, mindlessly pressing buttons and flipping switches while absolutely nothing of interest happens. Sometimes you fight a guardian scout!

some of the designers for these new shrines clearly took the "shrines are too easy/short to be dungeons" complaints a bit too literally lol

I've been messing around with Second Wind too due to the posts in this thread about it and yeah, the overhauled shrines are a real mixed bag. If this is their idea of extra challenge then I don't think I want to find out what the Labors of the Hero are like.

Come to think of it, the last time I replayed BotW was before I got my OLED Switch, so maybe I'll just do that instead.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

superjew posted:

Guardians are Tektites in an LSD fever dream.

they're more like beamos and armos mixed together

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Totk needs those squirrel people who throw boomerangs

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Link should fight Dark Links who have progressions of ever more absurd vehicles and combo weapons.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shiroc posted:

Link should fight Dark Links who have progressions of ever more absurd vehicles and combo weapons.

I mean, Monolith Soft is a support studio, might as well throw some mecha battles in there

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

I desperately wanted the door to land on top of them at the end

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mahoning posted:

There are tektites in A Link Between Worlds. It's nearly a decade old, but if you disregard remakes and HD versions, it and Triforce Heroes are the last two new Zelda games before Breath of the Wild.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Shiroc posted:

Dark Link standing around like Trophy Thomas waiting to race you on his unholy contraption.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, Monolith Soft is a support studio, might as well throw some mecha battles in there

Start the game connecting meat to arrows, finish the game using Link's Evangelion powered by Hylia's soul against the Mass Production Evas powered by Ganon's.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shiroc posted:

Start the game connecting meat to arrows, finish the game using Link's Evangelion powered by Hylia's soul against the Mass Production Evas powered by Ganon's.

Also Din, Nayru and Farore are supercomputers and Hyrule is a simulation or something

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Antonymous posted:

they're more like beamos and armos mixed together

i thought they were the new beamos when i first encountered one and tried to throw bombs at its head

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Antonymous posted:

Totk needs those squirrel people who throw boomerangs

But with their character model straight out of the Link's Awakening remake :3:

(I'm not sure I made the connection that he's a goriya giving you a boomerang until now)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good videos or something that explains the tech behind BotW? Like for instance when you're way up high and it feels like you can see most of the map. I know it's not really rendering everything and you do see pop-in sometimes as you get closer to things, but overall it does a pretty good job of seeming like everything you can see from your vantage point is rendered and not some visual trick. But I'm assuming there are tons of visual tricks used that are integrated seamlessly. Like how there are times when a big mountain or location like Hyrule castle appears in the distance but seems a lot closer than it actually is or bigger than it should be at that distance.

e: especially considering it's doing all this on a Switch, and you don't experience framerate drops from up high, though you do in the more object-filled villages and such.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 23, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bringing back Like-Likes feels like it’d be a no-brainer since shields and weapons are already expendable

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

SirBukkake posted:

counterpoint: arachnophobia and insect-phobia can trigger even on cartoony insects and i have a personal vendetta against developers who put them in games when they cant think of anything more interesting

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Are there any good videos or something that explains the tech behind BotW? Like for instance when you're way up high and it feels like you can see most of the map. I know it's not really rendering everything and you do see pop-in sometimes as you get closer to things, but overall it does a pretty good job of seeming like everything you can see from your vantage point is rendered and not some visual trick. But I'm assuming there are tons of visual tricks used that are integrated seamlessly. Like how there are times when a big mountain or location like Hyrule castle appears in the distance but seems a lot closer than it actually is or bigger than it should be at that distance.

e: especially considering it's doing all this on a Switch, and you don't experience framerate drops from up high, though you do in the more object-filled villages and such.

I don’t have one on-hand but I’m pretty sure it mostly just comes down to good use of LOD and atmospheric fog.
LOD (level of detail) is a feature all games use where the game switches a model out for a simpler, lo-res version when you move the camera away from it. A model can have multiple LODs for medium distance and medium detail, far distance and low detail, super-far distance and super-low detail, etc.
And atmospheric fog is used so that distance objects get a kinda bluish haze over them so that you mostly just see their silhouettes and the low detail is less obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The game strategy guide for BotW must have a chapter titled "Oh, so all I have to do is pick it up and hold it?"