Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:siren: lol :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Mega Comrade posted:

If anyone is wondering, at least with most androids, this can be turned off in the settings.

Hah! Wish I'd checked this thread sooner. I'll give 'em this; it got my loving attention, holy poo poo :captainpop:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Turned off alerts on my main phone but forgot about my work phone. That was unpleasant.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Mine wasn't that loud but it was in very badly pronounced Welsh. As in American speaking Welsh words as if they were English. Lol. I wonder if you can listen on line.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Guess the government doesn't care if I die in a forest fire or freak asteroid impact. No alert on my phone.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mine wasn't that loud but it was in very badly pronounced Welsh. As in American speaking Welsh words as if they were English. Lol. I wonder if you can listen on line.

Mine was just an alarm. What did it say?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turned mine off :smuggo:

I shall die in ignorance!

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

My phone didn't do poo poo.

Guess I'll just die then.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol I got nothing. Id left the alerts on out of curiosity and didn't even work

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My phone didn't go off, but one of my housemates did. I know they need people to hear it but drat, maybe something a little more pleasant.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Didn't come through on my work phone (switched off but I wasn't sure if it was going to 'break through' somehow. Also didn't come through on my Nokia 105 phone which has a 4G O2 SIM in it so not related to SIM capability.

Oct 4, 2005

Wish i'd been in town when it went off, would have been fun to see everyones reactions.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They picked an incredibly annoying noise. When it goes off for real I'm going to ignore it out of spite.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jippa posted:

Mine was just an alarm. What did it say?

Dunno it was in bad Welsh ( not that I can speak Welsh but I know bad Welsh when I hear it!) I was laughing too much.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I didn't get anything. Possibly because I was watching a YouTube video

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Mine didn't go off either. I'm on Three if that's maybe it.

My wife's did and she's on EE.

Though it could also be that she's on an iphone while I'm in a Samsung galaxy.

Or it could be that my phone was on silent and hers wasn't.

Maybe this was the reason for the test. The government know its just another emergency thing that doesn't work on broken Britain.

I wonder which one of their mates they spaffed a few million quid to for this.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A particular breed of Welsh nationalist who thinks their phone's attempt to read out the message was a recorded part of the alarm is going to be PISSED.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Could be a Three thing as well. I'm on idmobile and they're a Three reseller. Mine's a Samsung too.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 23, 2023

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Didn't get anything, checked my settings and it seems "Recieve test messages from state authorities" was disabled by default.

What did it sound like?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

bruh that was loud as gently caress

Apparently i had mine disabled... i prefer to experience my nuclear explosions in peaceful ignorance. :lofty:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My phone that did get it is Smarty which rides on Three.
I think it's phone related not provider related.
My phone it arrived on is Android, Moto E30.

yeah people posting on Twitter from Spain etc where lots of British phones in use - no alarm there - it comes from the cell towers not via the phone companies apparently.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
nothing on my three or lyca, my cousins phone (on lebara) had the alert and barely registered the noise

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My phone was in another room so I just hurt this absurdly loud absurdly 2spoopy alarm sound from two rooms away.

I have disabled further alerts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

On a train and the conductor made an announcement a few minutes ahead of time to warn everyone, haha. I disabled it on my phone but I think I head an annoying ‘waaah’ sound from somewhere in the carriage. Well, that’s my story!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very glad that the government has invented the posting alarm.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Answers Me posted:

I’m not going to listen to any moralising on racism from the Labour right, but this was clearly a dumb thing to say that plainly ‘deserves’ (though will be gleefully pounced upon, ofc) all the blowback she’s going to get from it…

https://twitter.com/profdaveandress/status/1650034062608814089?s=46
I mean she couldn't have teed up Baddiel more perfectly if she tried, loving hell.

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1650068217782566915?t=nWUUnPRBICvrbsxstybQMQ&s=19

I feel like what she was going for was "this is what the technical definition of racism is," and in my experience no matter how carefully that's worded, people tend to view it as "that's not serious enough to be viewed as racism." Also that's not what the technical definition of racism is either.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's had the whip withdrawn and is now definitely going to be blocked from standing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
when you gently caress up so badly that even Baddiel can dunk on you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's an omission so glaring, and simultaneously necessary for the premise to stand, that I don't remotely get how she didn't think of it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's rather frustrating that the left of the Labour Party, the few who remain, keep just loving tapdancing into the giant open bear trap labelled "Jewish Topics" when Starmer is looking for every reason to purge anyone non-white.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

No alert here (also on Three). Guess I’m going to be getting caught short in the event of a nuclear attack.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

It's an omission so glaring, and simultaneously necessary for the premise to stand, that I don't remotely get how she didn't think of it.

Well, it fits her explanation that this was an uncompleted first draft that she sent by mistake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, it fits her explanation that this was an uncompleted first draft that she sent by mistake.

But that's what I struggle to buy, if she actually acknowledged the loving holocaust shaped hole in that series of statements it would invalidate what she wrote earlier. It does not appear unfinished but rather the whole thing is just wrong.

"I wrote it by mistake" is the kind of non-explanation I would expect from that dickhead who put "I'll sort out the travellers" on their campaign leaflets.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-work

quote:

In an emergency, mobile phone masts in the surrounding area will broadcast an alert. Every compatible mobile phone or tablet in range of a mast will receive the alert.

Emergency alerts work on all 4G and 5G phone networks in the UK.
Your mobile phone or tablet does not have to be connected to mobile data or wifi to get alerts.

Emergency alerts are free. You do not need to sign up for them or download an app.

Reasons you will not get an alert

You will not receive alerts if your device is:

turned off or in airplane mode
connected to a 2G or 3G network
wifi only
not compatible

Compatible mobile phones and other devices
Make sure your device has all the latest software updates.

Emergency alerts work on:

iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later
Android phones and tablets running Android 11 or later
If you have an earlier version of Android, you may still be able to receive alerts. To check, search your device settings for ‘emergency alerts’.

If you want to see an alert again
To see an alert again, go to current alerts or past alerts.

You can also search for emergency alerts on your mobile phone or tablet.

Opting out of emergency alerts
You can opt out of emergency alerts, but you should keep them switched on for your own safety.

To opt out:

Search your settings for ‘emergency alerts’.
Turn off ‘severe alerts’ and ‘extreme alerts’.
If you still get alerts, contact your device manufacturer for help.

Your personal data
The emergency services and the UK government do not need your phone number to send you an alert.

Data about you, your device or location will not be collected or shared.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

But that's what I struggle to buy, if she actually acknowledged the loving holocaust shaped hole in that series of statements it would invalidate what she wrote earlier.

"I wrote it by mistake" is the kind of non-explanation I would expect from that dickhead who put "I'll sort out the travellers" on their campaign leaflets.

Charlotte Nichols - Labour - not suspended nor whip withdrawn.

Also:

https://twitter.com/bencooper/status/1321873862238285824?s=20

Lisa Nandy - Labour - not suspended nor whip withdrawn.

Good Lord - last person I would have expected:

https://twitter.com/johnmcternan/status/1650105316548247552?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She is indeed a very good fit for the party, should be in the shadow cabinet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/perthshiremags/status/1650143101443244032

For those who, like me, didn't recognise this street and assumed it was somewhere like Birmingham, that's Buchanan Street, Glasgow, NotEngland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's interesting is the deafening silence around sectarianism.

Sectarianism isn't racism, but that's not the same as saying sectarianism isn't as bad as racism.

And there's often intersection too, such as when it is assumed that any member of an ethnic group or clade is by definition involved in a certain religious group (like the blurred line between Islamophobia and Asian bashing).

But even without that sectarianism is plenty capable of causing a lot of damage, yet doesn't often get its own discussion in England (other than to blame Northern Ireland for inventing violence).

e: ^^^ Should have done it in Edinburgh for the troll value.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Abbott is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

lol this is why the corbyn project failed.
left constantly umming and ahhing while the right latch on to it like it's mein kampf.

if Diane Abbot hasn't earned the right for some leeway to properly explain herself then who the gently caress is going to get any support

This is not a suspendable offense nevermind taking the whip and hounding her out of Westminster.