Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Cuttlefush posted:

people just dont understand finnish sarcasm

it’s hard for me to give a Finnish citizen the benefit of the doubt, I’ve been hurt before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

that seems like an after the fact rational for somebody who has already taken a position against it.

maybe for the people spend every waking moment thinking of ways to gently caress with trans people but idk, hormones and poo poo literally change your body, that's the whole point of them. it's not a big issue, trans people are like 1% of the population and the percentage of them that are high level enough athletes that it would matter is even smaller than that, but it's not unfair to examine the issue. i'd want like the actual trans community and biologists to come up with the answer instead of some republican legislator.

contrapoints keeps getting repeatedly criticized for saying stuff that vast majority of people have never even heard of, if an actual trans person can't keep up with the lore of online activists how the gently caress do you even talk to literally any other human being?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The problem with "I'm okay with restricting trans people from sports if there's a 'legitimate' reason to do so" is that you're never going to have that debate in good faith no matter how you try. It's just going to lead to more discrimination

It's a fundamental misunderstanding of social and political dynamics to assume that there's space to have that discussion

This is essentially contras entire issue. Her vids are always twice as long as they have to be cause she tries to be measured so she can have maxxed out her decorum points by the end of the argument
A lot of breadtube seems to have real loving difficulty realising that this isn't a good faith debate and never will be.

so they do stupid poo poo like go on a pro JKR podcast hosted by a westboro baptist church person and think theyr gonna engage in the marketplace of ideas and have a fair debate about trans rights. Which is clearly, breathtakingly stupid and naive to anyone who understands the dynamics at play.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
A lot of breadtubers are just making content for people that are an underserved part of the online marketplace. being lazy lefties they have poo poo work ethic and don't churn out content fast enough for me!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Communist Thoughts posted:

A lot of breadtube seems to have real loving difficulty realising that this isn't a good faith debate and never will be.

This isn't entirely their fault, this is what happens when Dems try very hard to coopt a movement in bad faith.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Turtle Watch posted:

Gratz on fulfilling your dream of being in a military alliance with the Germans again

1v1 me in biathlon bithc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Don't most Olympic level athletes have "unfair" biological advantages anyway?

This loving fantasy of trans athletes overwhelming hard owned cis victories is just unrealistic scaremongering bullshit and doesn't deserve to be considered.

Uhhh in other news, From (the best horror show on the teevee) is back, and it's got a heroic communally organised faction.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

This loving fantasy of trans athletes overwhelming hard owned cis victories is just unrealistic scaremongering bullshit and doesn't deserve to be considered.
this is my perspective as well, and maybe it's a little easier to wrap my head around it because I'm friends with someone who was in the same event as Michael Phelps when he was competing in high school and absolutely destroyed everyone in his path

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Compromise position: let all college and pro athletes athletes go on the juice

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

agreed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but not hollywood. Carey Grant was in Gunga Din. It's like having all the Hollywood Chrises about being badass operators doming muslamic style terrorists while the main bad guy looks like Jeremy Corbyn.

I mean, the only difference between that and Top Gun is that Top Gun is more sanitized

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhhh in other news, From (the best horror show on the teevee) is back, and it's got a heroic communally organised faction.

there are lots of stories of cis women athletes who naturally have higher testosterone levels who have gotten banned/disqualified after testing, e.g. https://www.axios.com/2021/07/03/namibia-disqualified-naturally-high-testosterone-olympic

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

I'm always conflicted on this because while it's true I want to see the absolute limits of the human body tested, in physical contact sports like American football or even basketball there's already such a huge pressure to grind the bodies of mostly poor, mostly minority people into dust while dangling the promise that MAYBE you get to earn enough to get your kids a New Zealand bunker for the end of the world.

Maybe that's the real devil's bargain here: You get $100M immediately but are then required to take all the drugs and get cybernetics until you explode like the runner in the Animatrix

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
if you are someone who thinks the debate of trans people participating in athletics is legit you are at the very least too dumb to be an ally

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1650155463328284672?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

there are lots of stories of cis women athletes who naturally have higher testosterone levels who have gotten banned/disqualified after testing, e.g. https://www.axios.com/2021/07/03/namibia-disqualified-naturally-high-testosterone-olympic

I pronounce this dumb.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

and do you think mario is going to give back to his neighborhood? remember where he came from? hell no!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

exmarx posted:

in what world is some "bread tuber" part of pop culture

its the same dumb baby stuff people itt watch

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i have made the breadtuber thread, please talk about them in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030487

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

what if ash sarkar made a video about her boyfriend reading the wrong children's books instead of writing a clickbait article about it

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

if you are someone who thinks the debate of trans people participating in athletics is legit you are at the very least too dumb to be an ally

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Also bread tube suffers from the problem of making videos at a constant rate, so they are stuck dealing with the what algorithm wants.

This is not a video they can make:

YO gently caress JK rowling! She hates trans people.
*Video clips of JK Rowling's twitter posts.
- run time 2 minutes.
Like and Subscribe Beeoches! I'm OUT!

Their videos have to be long. To retain attention.
Their arguments need to have some mushyness to their videos so people can talk about in the comment section.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Also bread tube suffers from the problem of making videos at a constant rate, so they are stuck dealing with the what algorithm wants.

This is not a video they can make:

YO gently caress JK rowling! She hates trans people.
*Video clips of JK Rowling's twitter posts.
- run time 2 minutes.
Like and Subscribe Beeoches! I'm OUT!

Their videos have to be long. To retain attention.
Their arguments need to have some mushyness to their videos so people can talk about in the comment section.

i just amde a thread for this -_-

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
breadtube: meet breadthread

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

ArmZ posted:

no I'm finnish

that’s worse

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is breadtube?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Koirhor posted:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i have made the breadtuber thread, please talk about them in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030487

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Koirhor posted:

it’s for liberals (and Finns) don’t worry about it

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I love bread

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Because if they did they would also have to realize their epic debating skills are functionally useless, so they’re not going to do that.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ArmZ posted:

I'm missing something here. Streep and Allen appear to be in the same plane at the end, so the diopter only seems to matter for the very first close up of Allen? Why do all that in one shot then?

thanks for posting :tipshat:

as far as I can tell they slid it in and then blocked every moment of the scene to work with it. it's possible that at the end they could hold them both in focus or that Streep is standing upstage a little and they are faking their eyelines to each other. if you watch the second half I drew a white line where I see the diopter edge. it's clearly a different focus on the left and right

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Turtle Watch posted:

it’s hard for me to give a Finnish citizen the benefit of the doubt, I’ve been hurt before

N-Gage did have a racing game that involved a long, long plot line where you may or not get into a threesome called "Glimmeratti" (Don't worry, the link doens't have any nsfw, it's just some people that were doing an N-Gage showcase and played thru some of it.) So that's probably advertising that game.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Koirhor posted:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jesus that's fukkin dire

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bowel & Movement

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Because if they did they would also have to realize their epic debating skills are functionally useless, so they’re not going to do that.

I'm not sold this is true, you can change minds you just don't do it by engaging the people who are diehards with lovely fake arguments to placate your own sense of fairness

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Zeroisanumber posted:

jesus that's fukkin dire

I'd eat it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've eaten that canned bread, it's fine, just a bit dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat