Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What I lf u want to sell music to people with cassette players? What then, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Paladinus posted:

I'll repeat again. There is no practical reason to release music on tape in TYOOL 2023.

E: It's not an awful gimmick, there is some charm to it, just like when new Commodore or Speccy games are released on tape or floppies, but it's not practical at all.

Already having all of the hardware and tapes to do so (thus making it a no money cost proposition) is pretty practical. Also, not everyone is trying to scale to selling beyond their smaller circles.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I'll repeat again. There is no practical reason to release music on tape in TYOOL 2023.

E: It's not an awful gimmick, there is some charm to it, just like when new Commodore or Speccy games are released on tape or floppies, but it's not practical at all.

There is a pragmatic and reasonable and practical reason to release cassettes in the modern day, which is that people will buy them for money. You’d be closer to the mark saying “there’s no practical reason for people to buy music on cassettes anymore” except you would sound like a robot then. At that point you may as well say “There is no reason people HAVE to hear rhythmic sounds so they should stop listening beep boop 🤖“. I don’t think your point is that people should stop doing it because you don’t like it or whatever, it just kind of sounds that way to address the practicality of something that has every reason to be as frivolous and fun as people want it to be.

Your total is $14.23, please pull around to the first window

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

freeedr posted:

There is a pragmatic and reasonable and practical reason to release cassettes in the modern day, which is that people will buy them for money. You’d be closer to the mark saying “there’s no practical reason for people to buy music on cassettes anymore” except you would sound like a robot then. At that point you may as well say “There is no reason people HAVE to hear rhythmic sounds so they should stop listening beep boop 🤖“. I don’t think your point is that people should stop doing it because you don’t like it or whatever, it just kind of sounds that way to address the practicality of something that has every reason to be as frivolous and fun as people want it to be.

Your total is $14.23, please pull around to the first window

Also I have multiple tape and record players in my house but aside from a PS4 absolutely no way to play a CD. I have tapes from the 80s that sound new, and CDs from the 90s that have degraded to unplayable. Why the gently caress would I want anything in that medium?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm giggling fondly at every decaying old that's ranting about cassette tapes being an obsolete hipster technology like the same doesn't apply to CDs :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's why I keep all my music in the cloud now, where it will never degrade or disappear :smugdog:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Keeping physical copies of your favourite media is an extremely good idea but someone ranting that CDs are somehow less hipster :kimchi:

Splicer has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Apr 23, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Also I have multiple tape and record players in my house but aside from a PS4 absolutely no way to play a CD. I have tapes from the 80s that sound new, and CDs from the 90s that have degraded to unplayable. Why the gently caress would I want anything in that medium?

Do PS4s play CDs? I though they didn't.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't think anyone's ever tried tbqh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

I checked, and it doesn't. I only remembered because the PS4 version of MGSV didn't support custom soundtracks and I guess it was because you couldn't rip tracks anyway. The PS3 version did and it obviously reads CDs as it is compatible with PS games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Nah, PS3 was the last one. Xbox does, which is presumably important to someone.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Also this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

iwentdoodie posted:

Do you own any tapes from the 2020s?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Do you own any CDs from the 2020s?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I do, actually. But only because I wanted the art book that came with it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have no idea, it's just the only thing I own with an optical drive of any kind.

Paladinus posted:

Do you own any tapes from the 2020s?

I bought 3 this weekend, 1 from a somewhat well known band and 2 from local bands.

They sell vinyl and cassette. No CDs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

How quaint

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I killed a man in ritual combat and a cassette tape clattered to the ground from the waistband of his loincloth. I placed the cassette into the boombox I always keep in my possession and I heard his mother’s famous recipe for banana bread and then a note indicating that whoever killed him has to care for his wife and children in perpetuity. Then he said “no takebacksies” and I couldn’t get out of it; it was ironclad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

freeedr posted:

I killed a man in ritual combat and a cassette tape clattered to the ground from the waistband of his loincloth. I placed the cassette into the boombox I always keep in my possession and I heard his mother’s famous recipe for banana bread and then a note indicating that whoever killed him has to care for his wife and children in perpetuity. Then he said “no takebacksies” and I couldn’t get out of it; it was ironclad

Wow metal tapes are hard listens

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Splicer posted:

Nah, PS3 was the last one.

So you're saying that there is no music for the PS5

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Paladinus posted:

who the gently caress cares

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder what kind of hosed-up mind you'd have to have to be able to bend the meaning of the word practical to exclude things that work just fine and literally literally are being used for their intended purpose all the time by loads of people.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wait a second, how do you know what you CDs from the 90s sound like if you have nothing to play them on?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I wonder what kind of hosed-up mind you'd have to have to be able to bend the meaning of the word practical to exclude things that work just fine and literally literally are being used for their intended purpose all the time by loads of people.

Once in a while someone releases a song on a wax cylinder, and someone else buys it, and listens to it on a modern wax cylinder player no less. Is it practical to release new music on wax cylinders?

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Apr 23, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cassettes aren't being used by "loads of people"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I checked, and it doesn't.

:aaaaa: I've owned a PS4 for like eight years and had no idea.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Paladinus posted:

Once in a while someone releases a song on a wax cylinder, and someone else buys it, and listens to it on a modern wax cylinder player no less. Is it practical to release new music on wax cylinders?
Your argument against CDs is strong. You've convinced me. CDs are the most hipster and retro of media.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Splicer posted:

Your argument against CDs is strong. You've convinced me. CDs are the most hipster and retro of media.

I literally don't have a way to play CDs (probably can dig up my old laptop, not sure it still works). But they are easier to produce and more people have a way to play them. That's the reason millions of CDs are sold every year for every thousand of cassettes, and for every single wax cylinder.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Paladinus posted:

Wait a second, how do you know what you CDs from the 90s sound like if you have nothing to play them on?

I threw out my last CD player when I got tired of lugging it from house to house and it being used maybe once a year, and once I got a newer car that was the end of CD players in our house.

I dont know why you're so mystified that people don't want to buy or listen to CDs, to the point of derailing a quotes thread because you just Have To Be Correct.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am mystified that people pretend cassette tapes are a thriving media format widely used by indie bands and big artists alike because of what great format it is, and not a silly gimmick that targets almost exclusively a niche audience of nerds.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Paladinus posted:

I am mystified that people pretend cassette tapes are a thriving media format widely used by indie bands and big artists alike because of what great format it is, and not a silly gimmick that targets almost exclusively a niche audience of nerds.

Cool, go tell your therapist about it or something

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

minidisc players

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Hit Clips

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
CD+G

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Has any hipster (:arghfist::corsair:) indie band released new Tefifon records? There must be an untapped market

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More people should release their music on GBA cartridges, imo. Now that's a good gimmick.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sapozhnik posted:

neither will the people they're creeping on

Don't do this poo poo here. If you have legitimate concerns, contact an admin.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I only listen to live music played by pan handlers on the streets. Everything else is too commercial.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

zedprime posted:

I only listen to live music played by pan handlers on the streets. Everything else is too commercial.

Just don't ask why their parents names are blue on wikipedia

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:vick: I Had Such a Mediocre Day :vick:

Vick to Price TD! posted:

I'm glad that you decided to see the light. Vote '5', please!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

zedprime posted:

I’ll take ten buskers over one panhandler any day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

there's a label in arizona or new mexico that exclusively releases stuff on tape, but i can't remember if they offer digital downloads or not. either way, my bandmate and i found out about it a few years ago when we released an album and we thought that was hilarious, so i put out an extremely limited run on 5 inch reel-to-reel tapes. to this day no one has purchased one

nobody bought it on any other format either lol