Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Live edge column!

Seriously though, how do the roots get water?

I hope that toilet is ADA height!

‘Ey, sure thing boss, dat toilet’s ada’bout two feet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

hostel bathroom in Iceland

Wrong thread, this rules

Add a disco ball and it's peak 70s.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

random tumblr dump

Wouldn't it just be easier to thrown yourself down the stairs each morning and smash your ankles with a hammer? That way you wouldn't have to turn your stairs into Russian roulette.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Move over, insulated stairs. Heated stairs are here

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/MasterGir/status/1615940008224997376

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

random tumblr dump

Just noticed the outlet + shelf on the wall here.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

your house has a sick ramp, brah

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
2nd floor rented out with some weird tax stuff going on by having its main entrance across the property line? I was originally thinking climate controlled accessibility ramp to 2nd floor by someone that didn't want to do elevator or chair lift, but that grade looks way too step

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
"Fine, your mother can come live with us but I don't want to have to talk to her while she's on her way out to Bingo Night. What do you mean she can't use a spiral staircase?"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

They call it a stairlift but it's more of a funicular.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/Dub__A/status/1649898926533668865?t=qKQLrHBxWW754joYq0XeAg&s=19

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What's funny is that there's a lot of skill in that one! Just one tiny skill missing...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sentient Data posted:

2nd floor rented out with some weird tax stuff going on by having its main entrance across the property line? I was originally thinking climate controlled accessibility ramp to 2nd floor by someone that didn't want to do elevator or chair lift, but that grade looks way too step

It's a waterslide from bathroom to the outdoor pool. Whoopee!

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

It's a waterslide from bathroom to the outdoor pool. Whoopee!

Or a creative way to get waste water over the property line. In the biz we call it a poop chute

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

“You can’t build a grain silo here. Not zoned for anything but residential.”
“Oh. Oooooooook.”

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Enclosed fire escape or there used to be something at the bottom.

It immediately made me think of a connected farm.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Indoor ski slope

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The horse stable is upstairs.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Guy Axlerod posted:

Just noticed the outlet + shelf on the wall here.
It's a great place to put the old cordless landline phone so you'd have to run down the stairs to answer it.

Something I have been meaning to ask is whats the deal with the fiberglass insulation in american crawlspaces? I have seen dozens of pics of crawlspaces and they all feature apparently unsupported loose fiberglass that is either hanging down or has all fallen out completely, do the builders just cram the batts in between the joists and hope they stay there long enough to finish the house?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

coldpudding posted:

It's a great place to put the old cordless landline phone so you'd have to run down the stairs to answer it.

Something I have been meaning to ask is whats the deal with the fiberglass insulation in american crawlspaces? I have seen dozens of pics of crawlspaces and they all feature apparently unsupported loose fiberglass that is either hanging down or has all fallen out completely, do the builders just cram the batts in between the joists and hope they stay there long enough to finish the house?

Sir I don't think you get how to American construction. OBVIOUSLY that's what's done - are you suggesting they should take the time to either use better insulation that isn't prone to mold or somehow fasten the cheap insulation better so it doesn't fall out? Absurd - that would add at least 0.5% to the cost of the house are you insane.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

coldpudding posted:

Usually you take a roll of fiberglass insulation, stuff it in place, and then use a stiff wire a bit longer than the joist space and with the ends cut at an angle so they're pointy and push the wire in so it makes an arch between the joists and holds the insulation up. The wire is cheap, easy to install, and works surprisingly well until something disturbs the insulation. Keeping the insulation undisturbed is outside the scope of this installation.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

When my six year old saw this picture his face looked as if humanity had betrayed him.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cat Hatter posted:

Usually you take a roll of fiberglass insulation, stuff it in place, and then use a stiff wire a bit longer than the joist space and with the ends cut at an angle so they're pointy and push the wire in so it makes an arch between the joists and holds the insulation up. The wire is cheap, easy to install, and works surprisingly well until something disturbs the insulation. Keeping the insulation undisturbed is outside the scope of this installation.

Or the backing paper on the battens is an inch wider than the rafter space on either side and you run up and down the rafters with a staple gun.

This works until either the paper fails from humidity, or you have to move it to work under it precisely once.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Development of $900,000 homes in Utah starts sliding into the canyon they cost $900,000 because they overlook.

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1650172255161253888?s=46&t=ZnTIZXYEMHcybQkkyT0AJQ

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Liquid Communism posted:

Or the backing paper on the battens is an inch wider than the rafter space on either side and you run up and down the rafters with a staple gun.

This works until either the paper fails from humidity, or you have to move it to work under it precisely once.
That's probably the more common method, but I was trying to abide by the "Warning: this facing will burn and must not be left exposed" notice printed on the paper and ignored that as an option.

Phanatic posted:

Development of $900,000 homes in Utah starts sliding into the canyon they cost $900,000 because they overlook.

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1650172255161253888?s=46&t=ZnTIZXYEMHcybQkkyT0AJQ
Looks like the time that builder said they relocated a cemetery but only moved the headstones.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm really impressed that the top story pulled a rad backflip like some loony toons poo poo and left the first story/a facade thereof intact.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is plenty of house left, calm down.

The article I skimmed yesterday has photos from the other side, showing vegetation that was completely removed to open up the view to the canyon. You know, vegetation that holds all the earth together.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
On the plus side the guy filming now has their own canyon view

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gwely Mernans posted:

On the plus side the guy filming now has their own canyon view

Imagine four houses on the edge of a cliff.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Phanatic posted:

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1650277780855087110?s=20

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Had to be stoned when they made that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/mqdwmyy.mp4

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Maybe this whole bidet craze has gone a bit too far.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Live edge" is a trend I will never understand.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I'm the incompletely frosted window.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It’s just a clingfilm. They were too lazy to cut out the right-sized parts for the rest. Looks like poo poo but peels off in one second

e: actually I think the left pane may be the mirror image, which makes it look slightly more intentional at least I guess

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think the window used to be a doorway, look at the double frame. Also, all the plumbing is running through the exterior wall. At least they separated the bathroom flooring from the carpeted living room flooring. Maybe building a separate wall was not in the budget

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's actually possibly an accessibility thing going on there. My mom's parkinsons has gotten severe, and she has incontinence problems. With her mobility, the ideal situation is a toilet right next to the bed that she can get to in a minute without help. Without that, she has to wear adult diapers, and she gets a lot of anxiety about it and it's unpleasant etc. For a while when she was at my sisters they set up a portable toilet in a bedroom closet right next to her bed, so the door could be closed to keep it out of sight during the day and open so she'd have a toilet right there at night.

Anyway the shower is a bit more but for someone who can barely get up, it might be a lot nicer than having to transfer to a wheelchair to get to a bathroom down a hall. And with no lip, showering in a wet chair is also an option, might be hard to convert the nearest proper bathroom to that.

The bar right next to the toilet, the showerhead designed to work high and low, that all suggests a similar situation to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

But the listing says “1 bath” :cry: