Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

guppy posted:

Kiddo made a 1.75 mile hike this morning without any complaint -- well, without any complaint about the distance -- which is much better than I expected. Now, if I can only get her to walk continuously instead of stopping every little bit to eat one (1) peanut butter cracker.

I have almost no athletic socks these days and I ordered myself one six-pack of basic white tube socks and one pair of Darn Tough hiking socks. The tube socks are still in the mail, they're mostly what I hiked in as a kid, but the Darn Tough socks are here and I used them. They were fine. This was obviously a very short hike, but I plan to do longer ones as I get back into it. The Darn Tough ones are obviously quite expensive, something like $24 for a pair, vs. $15 for six pairs of basic athletic socks. I'm aware of the guarantee, which is obviously one difference, but beyond that, are they worth it for functional reasons? Worth it but only if you are doing some seriously hardcore hiking/backpacking? Not worth it at all? $24 is a lot for one pair of socks.

Socks with merino wool blend tend to be expensive, and a lot of the variation in price thereof comes from differences in stitch count or thickness of the fabric. Is it worth it? One of the main advantages is that they can usually be re-used several times before they really stink, which, among other things, means you don't really need to buy as many pairs in the fist place. If you don't care about that then I'm not sure there is a huge advantage over cheap synthetic socks. From a cost point of view, darn tough's are a pretty good deal if you only get a small number of pairs to begin with and use the warranty to replace them once they wear out.

If your regular white tube socks are cotton based then just about any synthetic or wool sock would be a better option, though. May not matter for short hikes, but if you are doing anything where blisters or wet feet are remotely a problem, cotton is a bad choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Biggest problem with DT socks is when you wear other socks you will be distracted thinking about how bad those other socks are.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

guppy posted:

I have almost no athletic socks these days and I ordered myself one six-pack of basic white tube socks and one pair of Darn Tough hiking socks. The tube socks are still in the mail, they're mostly what I hiked in as a kid, but the Darn Tough socks are here and I used them. They were fine. This was obviously a very short hike, but I plan to do longer ones as I get back into it. The Darn Tough ones are obviously quite expensive, something like $24 for a pair, vs. $15 for six pairs of basic athletic socks. I'm aware of the guarantee, which is obviously one difference, but beyond that, are they worth it for functional reasons? Worth it but only if you are doing some seriously hardcore hiking/backpacking? Not worth it at all? $24 is a lot for one pair of socks.

cheap cotton socks are fine until they get damp. once they do, they don’t dry out, which is likely to cause blisters. They’re a bad choice in even mild weather for the same reason - once you get damp you stay damp, and unlike wool, cotton doesn’t insulate when it’s wet. I’ve waded through streams in some pretty cold weather, changed into dry wool socks, and kept moving perfectly comfortably. That’s not something you can get away with in cotton socks, because they’ll absorb too much moisture from your wet boots and your feet will freeze.

If you don’t want to pay for darn tough, at least get a pack of wool/synthetic blend socks. costco has nice 4-packs of merino blend socks for like $12, but any wool/nylon blend is fine, it doesn’t have to be merino. Blends also come in lighter weights than pure merino, which is nice in hot climates.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. It's not a hardship to buy, I just didn't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it. If it is worth it, great. Sounds like it is.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have yet to find any wool socks that don't make my feet really hot. Thin ones, blends, different brands. Good in winter though!
I love my injinji toe socks year-round.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Huge fan of the Costco merino wool socks, they definitely hit a sweet spot in price/performance. I have put over 500 miles in brooks trail runners on a pack that's over 2 years old at this point and no wear issues - combination of heavy pack hiking, trail running, and skiing, and they've also gotten plenty of untracked wear in cold weather around the house and in casual boots.

That said I'm not very hard on socks compared to some I know, so take the recommendation with a grain of salt if you destroy socks and footwear regularly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You only need two pairs of socks if you buy from darn tough. Just wear one pair until the others rotate though the laundry.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have yet to find any wool socks that don't make my feet really hot. Thin ones, blends, different brands. Good in winter though!
I love my injinji toe socks year-round.

What kind of shoes are you wearing?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

COPE 27 posted:

What kind of shoes are you wearing?

Nikes, Asics, or trail runners usually. All pretty light and breathable shoes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Costco merino sock 4-packs are on closeout for $6.97 so grab em while you can. I have 12 pairs now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
While we're on the subject, is it normal that the Darn Toughs are rather snug? I bought the size L, for shoe size 10-12. I wear a 10 and they are perfectly wearable, but I was surprised how tight they were.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Laterite posted:

The Costco merino sock 4-packs are on closeout for $6.97 so grab em while you can. I have 12 pairs now.

I didn't see any at my church, what are they like? Ankle-high? Crew sock?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

guppy posted:

While we're on the subject, is it normal that the Darn Toughs are rather snug? I bought the size L, for shoe size 10-12. I wear a 10 and they are perfectly wearable, but I was surprised how tight they were.

They do feel a bit snug going on but are super comfy after a couple minutes so I guess they stretch out nice.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

xzzy posted:

You only need two pairs of socks if you buy from darn tough. Just wear one pair until the others rotate though the laundry.

The only reason I own more than two pairs of DT socks is because they keep coming out with cute designs. Like look at this. This is adorable.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

guppy posted:

Yes this is normal and helps prevent blisters but size up if it bothers you

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I have used DT socks, and would recommend them. But I have found that Silverlight help prevent blisters much better, not exactly sure why... They also offer a lifetime guarantee.
https://silverlight.store/product/silverlight-socks/

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I didn't see any at my church, what are they like? Ankle-high? Crew sock?

They are crew socks ... honestly I was surprised they still even had any.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My costco (seattle, north end) still has a lot of the wool socks. I like this years version much better as they are less fluffy. They are tall crew socks though. Most of my summer hiking is done in lower just above the ankle socks. 1/4 crew I think?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I picked up a pair of REI Kindercone 30 sleeping bags on Facebook Marketplace. $35 for the pair, used once.

Is this temperature rating for kids sleeping bags for comfort or lower limit? We are going car camping next weekend up by Idyllwild/San Jacinto, lows are in the mid-30s. We are bringing plenty of warm clothes, but just wondering about the bag ratings.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 30, 2023

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FogHelmut posted:

I picked up a pair of REI Kindercone 30 sleeping bags on Facebook Marketplace. $35 for the pair, used once.

Is this temperature rating for kids sleeping bags for comfort or lower limit? We are going car camping next weekend up by Idyllwild/San Jacinto, lows are in the mid-30s. We are bringing plenty of warm clothes, but just wondering about the bag ratings.

I would assume limit, and augment it with a small blanket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe kids bags use the limit value.

So the 30 bag in mid-30's temps is kinda on the edge.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Plus make sure they have a sleeping pad of some sort. Otherwise the ground will suck the heat out of them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sleeping pads are r-value 6 or 7 iirc. Extra blankets and hats and coats are coming. The dog will have a bed and her own puffer coat.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have a kindercone 25 and we have definitely taken it all the way to the high 20s several times with a 3-4 year old. I put my sweater over her in the middle of the night cause I was worried, unclear if it was necessary or not as she slept like a rock. And of course she was on a sleeping pad.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Specific recommendations for hiking pants? I don't remember worrying about this as a kid, but I have no idea what I used then. These days I am old and mainly own jeans, chinos, and formalwear, none of which are really fit for purpose. I was browsing REI and Backcountry, I would love not to spend $100+ on technical pants since I'm not and probably never will be super hardcore, but maybe that's the way to go. I only need a couple pairs. It would be nice if they could also double as climbing pants -- I only really climb at the rock gym at the moment, so they don't need to survive actual rocks -- but it's not critical. I did find a few pairs on sale for $50-55 but they don't have my size (well, one is available in black, but that seems like a bad idea).

My use case is cool-to-hot weather, I don't do much winter hiking. Currently I am hiking only a few miles at a time as I haven't done this in forever, so right now I can wear jeans or whatever and it's fine, but I'm looking to go longer distances. Longer like 6-8 hours, not longer like a week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Prana is a thread favorite. Their Zion pant is a great all-execpt-extreme-weather option.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I got a few pairs of pants and shorts from mountain warehouse. They're not super technical but also cost like twenty bucks each. Ive used them on multi day outings, ultra marathon length trail runs, mountain biking etc without issue. They might be dog tier clothes for uncultured swine but it's all I know so no regerts.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I like my Columbia hiking pants, but mostly because they actually fit.

I have some North Face ones that are fine too.

I've got some base layer tights from Mountain Warehouse and like them as well, so seconding the recommendation to look there.

For pants, I think a lot of it comes down to fit, pocket preferences, and the kind of environment you need your pants to stand up to.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a Prana convert, pants and shorts are both great.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The best part of Prana Zions is the adjustable waistband. I have a pair several sizes too large so that I can easily fit thermal layers underneath, and I just have to tighten the waist to make them fit. No belt necessary.

Camo is half off right now: https://www.prana.com/p/stretch-zion-pant-ii/1969791.html

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

random dumb question: can you fly with kahtoola microspikes in your carry-on?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I was gifted a pair of these Wranglers and they’re pretty decent. Bought another pair myself, the price is right https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-wrangler-flex-waist-outdoor-cargo-pant-NW780.html

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

guppy posted:

Specific recommendations for hiking pants? I don't remember worrying about this as a kid, but I have no idea what I used then. These days I am old and mainly own jeans, chinos, and formalwear, none of which are really fit for purpose. I was browsing REI and Backcountry, I would love not to spend $100+ on technical pants since I'm not and probably never will be super hardcore, but maybe that's the way to go. I only need a couple pairs. It would be nice if they could also double as climbing pants -- I only really climb at the rock gym at the moment, so they don't need to survive actual rocks -- but it's not critical. I did find a few pairs on sale for $50-55 but they don't have my size (well, one is available in black, but that seems like a bad idea).

My use case is cool-to-hot weather, I don't do much winter hiking. Currently I am hiking only a few miles at a time as I haven't done this in forever, so right now I can wear jeans or whatever and it's fine, but I'm looking to go longer distances. Longer like 6-8 hours, not longer like a week.

Eddie Bauer makes pretty good pants (specifically their first ascent guide pants) and their convertible guide pants are my favorite convertibles of most brands. They're slimmer fit and very flexible, plus they don't look ultra goobery compared to most zip offs. I have a few pairs and I really enjoy them. The biggest problem with eddie bauer pants are that the stitching isn't always the best. It has been much better in more recent years. I used to frequently rip the stitching off the back pockets but now they double stitch it so its better.

BUT I will say that the Prana Zions are fantastic pants. I really like them a lot. I will probably try their zip offs at some point because I enjoy their pants a lot. I do feel like their fabric could use a little ... finesse though. Its soft but there's a weird scratchiness to it. Yes you pay for them but you get great pants. I didn't think I would like the adjustable strap on the waist at first but after wearing them, its nice. Also like the snap buttons to keep the cuffs in place when you roll em up.

My biggest thing are good pockets. I like a good secure pocket, either in depth or with a zipper. I don't like huge baggy cargo pant pockets though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Favorite pants I've found with zippers on all pockets is the marmot scree pants. The material has a nice stretchy feel to it. Biggest downside is they feel miserable when wet.. dries fast but the material clings worse than denim as long as it's soaked.

Wish there was a combo of the Zion and scree pants, I wouldn't wear anything else.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Patagonia Quandary have always served me well. A bit more tapered fit than Prana if that's your style.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bloody posted:

random dumb question: can you fly with kahtoola microspikes in your carry-on?

TSA says no, but then they also say yes to crampons (but at the discretion of the agent). Probably best to just check a bag if you’re taking some.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

guppy posted:

Nylon is nylon, but a bit of special flavoring in the thread mix with spandex and other fibers can make a big difference in stretchiness and comfort, and that's where the Prana's come in as a frequent recommendation. I really liked the pair I got awhile back, but that doesn't fit my post-pandemic waistline anymore and I'm not keen to spend that kinda money again. So, honestly, my go-to for affordable and pretty decent hiking clothes is Academy Sports of all places.

In particular, I've always really liked their Magellan line of clothes. 30$ for good pants, and everything I've bought from Academy has held up great over the years. Plus they have a good size range (important for me as a sasquatch person), and I think it looks and feels pretty indistinguishable from the more expensive brands I've bought over time.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I strongly dislike pants with asymmetrical pocket configurations. I own two pairs of Prana Zions, but the butt pockets being different bugs me, and makes me wear my wallet on the opposite side I normally wear it on. I don't often use the cargo pocket but only having it on one leg is also annoying. I prefer Eddie Bauer Guide Pros.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Recently I've been using some Orvis pants I got from Costco for $17/pair and they've help up real well scrambling up granite boulders and some run-ins with cholla out in the desert, and light bushwhacking in the chaparral bits of the mountains here.

Not sure if it was a one-off or how much they really are but I like them a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've got a variety of outdoor pants and I like my Columbia ones the best because they're very thin and light, and I haven't managed to tear them yet. I have some from Costco and REI and such and they're thicker and better for trudging through brush or over boulders and logs but the lightness of the Columbia ones is still my preferred.