Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Any world with more Toku could be considered Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, it's possible japan itself would be different if gundam never existed. it's a huge, beloved multimedia franchise whose main message was always that war is bad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
My guess is that in a "No Gundam" timeline we'd still see the Real Robot concept emerge, but it would probably end up being something that more overtly derives from Starship Troopers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the starship troopers OVA becomes a beloved classic and we don't get the Paul Verhoeven film?

I dont want to live in that timeline.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i, too, would not want to live in a timeline without gundam

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Schwarzwald posted:

The big thing is that without Gundam there's (probably) no Ideon, so the ending is gonna skew way more Go Nagai.

ehhhh, Ideon was already in prepro during Gundam's run and started basically immediately after Gundam got cancelled, only lagging by a couple months, and the duology films were produced basically simultaneously with the gundam films, so if Gundam never got its second wind from the compilation movies Ideon probably still shakes out more or less the same.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Huh! I knew the turnaround from Gundam to Ideon was pretty quick, but I guess I never really considered what that meant.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Ideon became the Real Robot juggernaut and every show had to have scenes of kids getting vaporized in crossfires.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is that in a "No Gundam" timeline we'd still see the Real Robot concept emerge, but it would probably end up being something that more overtly derives from Starship Troopers

Instead of the Super Robot vs Real Robot split, we have Mecha vs Powered Armor

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Finished Dynazenon. Good show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ideon is a Robot Show. It is not real or super

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Ideon is a Robot Show. It is not real or super

Not real?

Stairmaster, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not
comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Stairmaster, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared
with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Stairmaster, there is an Ideon. It exists as certainly as death and destruction and filler episodes exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Ideon! It would be as dreary as if there were no Stairmaster... no Gundam. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Ideon! You might as well not believe in Getter. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Ideon, but even if you did not see Ideon coming down, what would that prove? Ideon is much too big to fit in most chimneys, but that is no sign that there is no Ideon. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see Getter Rays melting people to death as they scream? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are untouchable and invisible in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s poorly built Entry-grade kit and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men* that ever lived could tear apart. Only Freedom, Light, Rage, Justice, Let's Go Passion, Gekiganger 3, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Stairmaster, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding. No Ideon! Thank God (and possibly, less importantly, God Gundam, God Mazinger, and God Zenon)! it lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Stairmaster, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, it will continue to blow the heads off of children.

*(We do not mention women here, because Nono split the unseen veil three weeks ago, and we've only just gotten it back together. It's a bit of a sensitive point.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/armoredcore/status/1651587012342980610?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Rubicon is literally a river tho? Jesus from way to gently caress up the lore lmao.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The Rubicon is literally a river tho? Jesus from way to gently caress up the lore lmao.

So is the river Ankh, and it catches on fire all the time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's just Cleveland

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I know Armored Core has got some real hosed earth going on but there's no need to be hyperbolic. It's nowhere near as bad as Ohio

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Gaius Marius posted:

I know Armored Core has got some real hosed earth going on but there's no need to be hyperbolic. It's nowhere near as bad as Ohio

this one is set on ohio planet

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bullshit. The trailer doesn't show any corn fields.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I really liked and beat Armored Core: For Answer, and happy they're making AC6. I'll probably wait a bit to try it, hopefully it's not too difficult, despite their recent reputation with the Souls games. Hope they aren't peer pressured into making this too hardcore or something. I actually like my games like I like my coffee, sweet and uh smooth. And hot. Is there a romance in this game? I want a romance in the Fires of Rubicon.

Speaking of alternate anime timelines. We need one where we got 100 episodes of New Cutie Honey OVA, and people talk about it like it's the rival for LoGH. Why couldn't New Cutie Honey be the longest OVA series ever made? Did people stop buying it? The demand must have been through the roof. I mention this since we were talking Go Nagai earlier, and Honey is his protagonist with truly good mental robot health.

Also I feel like sequels were less common in that golden period of the 80s / 90s, or at least there was a cap of like 50 to 75 episodes per franchise for the most part, with exceptions. Especially anime orginals, or ones not based on manga anyway. What if we got 200 episodes of Dirty Pair? It'd be knocking The Simpsons out in all the animated polls. How come we didn't get 100 episodes of Outlaw Star? Granted that is somewhat based on a shorter manga. Why not more Eat-Man 98? So my alternate timelines is just making way more episodes of everything I liked. Oh I got an F, well Professor Anime is a tough teacher, fair though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Heavy Metal posted:

I really liked and beat Armored Core: For Answer, and happy they're making AC6. I'll probably wait a bit to try it, hopefully it's not too difficult, despite their recent reputation with the Souls games. Hope they aren't peer pressured into making this too hardcore or something. I actually like my games like I like my coffee, sweet and uh smooth. And hot. Is there a romance in this game? I want a romance in the Fires of Rubicon.

It looks to be a return to be close to 1-3. They said mech speeds can be built from about that level of speed all the way up to 4's. (but maybe not as fast as builds people played in competitive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKbBfT30AM0)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I really liked and beat Armored Core: For Answer, and happy they're making AC6. I'll probably wait a bit to try it, hopefully it's not too difficult, despite their recent reputation with the Souls games. Hope they aren't peer pressured into making this too hardcore or something.

The secret lore nobody tells you is that pretty much all the souls games are actually easier than AC games, on average.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
From what I can gather having never played armored core before, the Souls games lack the ruthless economy of AC

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, everyone talks about how ~hardcore~ souls games are but the thing is that there are basically no actual consequences for failure or sloppy play in any of them except maybe sekiro, the worst that will happen is that you drop all your unspent currency if you die twice, and the games make it clear real early on that you do not want to be carrying a balance. In Armored Core you have to actually be good at not getting hit and not just brrrrrting ammo everywhere, because even if you complete your mission sloppy play will land your rear end in megadebt.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, everyone talks about how ~hardcore~ souls games are but the thing is that there are basically no actual consequences for failure or sloppy play in any of them except maybe sekiro, the worst that will happen is that you drop all your unspent currency if you die twice, and the games make it clear real early on that you do not want to be carrying a balance. In Armored Core you have to actually be good at not getting hit and not just brrrrrting ammo everywhere, because even if you complete your mission sloppy play will land your rear end in megadebt.

But if I get into megadebt they'll replace me with a better me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nuebot posted:

But if I get into megadebt they'll replace me with a better me.

Armored core did Cruelty Squad before cruelty squad :v:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

golf is canon

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's not the Evas playing giant angelrobot golf, so who cares :colbert:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The secret lore nobody tells you is that pretty much all the souls games are actually easier than AC games, on average.

Hmm, however you phrase it, I'd prefer something more like For Answer in difficulty/forgiving-ness on retrys etc versus a Bloodborne type of game. And difficulty is different for everyone. For example my fav MGS is 3, and I was saying to my friend how it's more forgiving than MGS2, I feel I can play kind of wild and sloppy etc. But for him it's way harder than 2, and he bounced off of 3 recently even. Everyone is different with that stuff.

And not to say AC games don't require skill, or need to be easy, just for some reason the particulars of For Answer appealed to me more than Miyazaki's other games. I find Bloodborne a lot harder than For Answer for example, but I'm sure if you master Bloodborne you can say it's easier, if you don't happen to click with For Answer etc. I only played a little of the older ones, my brother is a fan. I'm sure they have devilish moments.

For Answer did have one boss fight which I replayed a bunch for an hour or two, the one spot I found classically tough. I didn't get in mega debt or whatever and I beat the game. Was it not possible to reload the game, or restart the system or something? It's been a long time. Anyways, mechas are cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 4, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Heavy Metal posted:

Hmm, however you phrase it, I'd prefer something more like For Answer in difficulty/forgiving-ness on retrys etc versus a Bloodborne type of game. And difficulty is different for everyone. For example my fav MGS is 3, and I was saying to my friend how it's more forgiving than MGS2, I feel I can play kind of wild and sloppy etc. But for him it's way harder than 2, and he bounced off of 3 recently even. Everyone is different with that stuff.

And not to say AC games don't require skill, or need to be easy, just for some reason the particulars of For Answer appealed to me more than Miyazaki's other games. I find Bloodborne a lot harder than For Answer for example, but I'm sure if you master Bloodborne you can say it's easier, if you don't happen to click with For Answer etc. I only played a little of the older ones, my brother is a fan. I'm sure they have devilish moments.

For Answer did have one boss fight which I replayed a bunch for an hour or two, the one spot I found classically tough. I didn't get in mega debt or whatever and I beat the game. Was it not possible to reload the game, or restart the system or something? It's been a long time. Anyways, mechas are cool.

Honestly I'd argue Bloodborne is probably overall From's easiest game, you just need to understand how its systems work

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I already covered that possibility in my post. Have you played For Answer? I guess we've just underlined how everybody has different experiences with games.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 4, 2023

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the old king ending in 4answer was unbeatable to me on hard mode until i found a cheese spot lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It’s a funny comparison to me because for answer and bloodborne are probably the most similar between the two schools in the sense that they both heavily incentivize highly aggressive playstyle. Like the particulars of how they do it are very different but the core philosophy of being rewarded for getting right up in an enemy’s poo poo is the same for both, to a degree that neither the other AC games nor any of the soulsbornring games do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

It's not the Evas playing giant angelrobot golf, so who cares :colbert:

Rei looks nice in golf gear.

Besides, we've already got the Evas fishing and playing baseball. Rei 1 and Kyoko can let their family members have a chance to have some fun for a change.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eva's are not robot. Where is my boy Jetalone

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When do the Eva girls fight Eve and Aoi on the ruined Asteroid Char and Amuro golfed on?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Finished Dynazenon. Good show.

I know this is a while back, but I'd like to bring up one of the most impressive things about Dynazenon and Gridman.

They finished production over a month early for both shows. I was impressed at the time, but looking at the difficulties more recent mech anime have had, it stands out all the more.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Someone made a joke about how when english speaking americans try to make a giant robot series, they give us the bad Voltron cartoons and Gen:LOCK, but when spanish speakers try to give us giant robots, they either give us Pacific Rim or we get the new Voltes V show.

https://twitter.com/negikitsu/status/1655553563874185218?s=21

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We got Sym-Bionic Titan and The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot.

You can count the number of good mecha shows by Americans on one hand but we should value what we get. No defending GenLock though thst show is actively hostile to mecha Fandoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

We got Sym-Bionic Titan and The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot.

You can count the number of good mecha shows by Americans on one hand but we should value what we get. No defending GenLock though thst show is actively hostile to mecha Fandoms

Gen:LOCK is like "What if bad fanfic writers and people who go "Evangelion, unlike other mecha series, focuses on the characters" worked on a show together." Especially in Season 2.