Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

HopperUK posted:

I think it's this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O_mL1X4UMI

I go through phases of watching Abby Cox and Bernadette Banner and Morgan-- whatsername who all do historical costume stuff.

Karolina Zebrowska is also a delight for similar reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Not sure exactly which topic this belongs to but this one is closest I guess? :shrug:

I was reading an avclub article about celebrities trying to remove the blue mark on their Twitter accounts that Musk claims to be "paying" for (more likely, just not charging and having his engineers add).

In describing his actions, the writer says:

Elon Musk's general "lurked on Something Awful forums but wasn't funny enough to actually post" approach to online humor.

Pretty unusual to see our little corner brought to light these days!

Is this an indication of how this site has aged?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Not sure exactly which topic this belongs to but this one is closest I guess? :shrug:

I was reading an avclub article about celebrities trying to remove the blue mark on their Twitter accounts that Musk claims to be "paying" for (more likely, just not charging and having his engineers add).

In describing his actions, the writer says:

Elon Musk's general "lurked on Something Awful forums but wasn't funny enough to actually post" approach to online humor.

Pretty unusual to see our little corner brought to light these days!

Is this an indication of how this site has aged?

The AVClub is a husk of a site ever since their upper management roundabout fired most of their writers by forcing them to either move to LA with no COL adjustment to their salaries or quit. William Hughes is one of their most hacky writers and one of the few that took the deal. I wouldn't read that much into it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's not accurate either. Musk has spent the last year proving that he's not going to shut up just because he doesn't have anything funny to say.

He's the kind of person who'd get immediately chainprobed in FYAD, make a QCS thread complaining about it, then get dunked on more when people saw what his posts were like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Musk Rodd

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I think it's this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O_mL1X4UMI

I go through phases of watching Abby Cox and Bernadette Banner and Morgan-- whatsername who all do historical costume stuff.

Thanks! I look forward to checking it out

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tenebrais posted:

It's not accurate either. Musk has spent the last year proving that he's not going to shut up just because he doesn't have anything funny to say.

To further elaborate, and to prove the point, not being funny has never stopped anyone on this site.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Part of the procedure was soaking the clothing in urine for two weeks.

That wasn't unique to any particular dye. Bleaching the cloth is pretty important to get the color to stick in the first place (and boost the effect). Stale piss was a fairly common bleaching agent for centuries, because urine decomposes to ammonia.

Using massive quantities of this agent and worse is a big reason why leatherworking is noted in ancient sources as a particular blight on an area.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yep, as others have said, you wore a shift or chemise as your skin-layer garment, and it was basically just a tube of fabric that was easily washed. But at least in Western fashion up until the early 20th century, you had at least three layers between your skin and the clothes other people could see.

(I used to do a lot of historical recreation, so I can go on AT LENGTH about historical underwear)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tenebrais posted:

He's the kind of person who'd get immediately chainprobed in FYAD, make a QCS thread complaining about it, then get dunked on more when people saw what his posts were like.

It's really embarassing to me when I read about Musk's Twitter exploits, because "Giving celebrities I like a free Blue Check so that maybe they'll give me some clout and say I'm cool" simping is exactly something my 15 year old self would have done if he were in a position to do so.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

It's really embarassing to me when I read about Musk's Twitter exploits, because "Giving celebrities I like a free Blue Check so that maybe they'll give me some clout and say I'm cool" simping is exactly something my 15 year old self would have done if he were in a position to do so.

My Dad, who met him once and had a chance to chat for a while about engineering stuff, went from thinking of Musk as a pretty smart tech guy to a drooling moron who cooked his brain by getting addicted to social media.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Gnoman posted:

That wasn't unique to any particular dye. Bleaching the cloth is pretty important to get the color to stick in the first place (and boost the effect). Stale piss was a fairly common bleaching agent for centuries, because urine decomposes to ammonia.

Using massive quantities of this agent and worse is a big reason why leatherworking is noted in ancient sources as a particular blight on an area.

It's also why the sanitation company of Ankh Morpork is the richest company in the city

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Fighting Trousers posted:

(I used to do a lot of historical recreation, so I can go on AT LENGTH about historical underwear)
oh cool me too! what period(s)? i grew up in a crew that did revolutionary war era impressions

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gnoman posted:

That makes sense, I knew the various dye families had secret recipes for their dyes and different animals being fed different things to change the chemical makeup of the urine would enhance the secret dye recipe portion of the equation.

We know Romans knew that what an animal ate affected its flavor from treatises about preparing pigs for slaughter by feeding them snails that grazed from a particular plant.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Urine was also used in the production of all woolen fabrics: the ammonia was used to strip and clean the natural oils from the wool and tighten up the weave, ina process called fulling

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

the_steve posted:

Someone in a thread said that Musk is handling Twitter the way a Diablo Clan forum admin circa 1998 would and it's really spot on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

That Italian Guy posted:

Someone in a thread said that Musk is handling Twitter the way a Diablo Clan forum admin circa 1998 would and it's really spot on.

At this point, I'm kinda curious how many findoms he's bankrolling right now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

Urine was also used in the production of all woolen fabrics: the ammonia was used to strip and clean the natural oils from the wool and tighten up the weave, ina process called fulling

Also, the collection process for the treatment was called emptying.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

InediblePenguin posted:

Everything I've read that mentions fulling suggests fulling sucked major loving rear end, between the lifting of huge skeins, monotonous hammering and agitating, skin-peeling chemicals, being constantly wet, getting paid like dirt, etc.

I figure I'd probably be a fuller

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brawnfire posted:

Everything I've read that mentions fulling suggests fulling sucked major loving rear end, between the lifting of huge skeins, monotonous hammering and agitating, skin-peeling chemicals, being constantly wet, getting paid like dirt, etc.

I figure I'd probably be a fuller

Regular joes were only paid half a dollar per day for fulling, but anyone who'd been ordained got paid a full dollar

It was still hard work, but it was much better to be a buck minister fuller

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Everyone boo this person.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Regular joes were only paid half a dollar per day for fulling, but anyone who'd been ordained got paid a full dollar

It was still hard work, but it was much better to be a buck minister fuller

:vince:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

So my area of knowledge is European fashion, so obviously this isn't universal, but as mentioned previously, from at least the Classical era forward, the base layer of clothing was actually pretty unisex - the shirt or chemise. As time passed and fashioned changed, it might be styled differently, but however many layers might be on top of it, everybody's wearing a knee-length (ish) garment that may or may not have attached sleeves. (Unattached sleeves became more of a thing in the 1500s and would remain a staple of fashion until the late 19th century)

But if your chief undergarment is a knee-length tube of fabric, what (you may ask) is between your junk and the world? If you're wearing women's wear, naught but your petticoats and underskirts, and if you're in menswear, your shirt is divided at the thighs and you're tucking the tails between your legs, basically creating something of a onesie. Over the shirt, men wore overshirts, jerkins, jackets, vests, and about the 18th century, men wore hose that attached to their outerwear by ties or pins - whatever fashion dictated. Women wore some form of corsetry (and corsets/stays underwent a TON of variation and evolution over the centuries), the aforementioned petticoats/underskirts, and the parts of your outer dress. I say parts because skirts, bodices, sleeves, collars, and cuffs were frequently separate pieces.

Our modern underwear situation is in fact, really frickin' modern.

InediblePenguin posted:

oh cool me too! what period(s)? i grew up in a crew that did revolutionary war era impressions

Mostly mid 19th century, which I enjoy because the big bell hoopskirts of the 1850s and 60s are a lot of fun to wear, plus the hairstyles aren't too over the top.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This thread is making me want to get back into always wearing an undershirt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can really tell these fashions were developed by people living in cold places.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MokBa posted:

This thread is making me want to get back into always wearing an undershirt.

I like protecting my actual shirts from deodorant stains and, like, sweat. It lets them last a lot longer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have to wear an undershirt under any dress shirt I wear, otherwise my chest hair will poke through the shirt fabric :wookie:

And the protection from sweat/deodorant stains is a bonus, plus sometimes shirts will gape a bit between the buttons when you sit down, and I'd rather people just see the undershirt instead of my hairy bellybutton.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I have to wear an undershirt under any dress shirt I wear, otherwise my chest hair will poke through the shirt fabric :wookie:

And the protection from sweat/deodorant stains is a bonus, plus sometimes shirts will gape a bit between the buttons when you sit down, and I'd rather people just see the undershirt instead of my hairy bellybutton.

Plumber’s gut

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just bet it's been mentioned a few times but I'm rewatching himym for the first time since it came out and hot darn, it's aged.
Barney: se
Ted: incel comments and incel actions. Not always, not often, but a lot of his driving sentiment towards women is very entitled and creepy.
Robin: hmm I think she's probably aged the best. Shes' chill.
Lilly and Marshall: not problematic, but Jesus Christ their jokes are deeply 2007. Just lots of fedoras, me ladies, "youuuu sonofabitch!", Lots of star wars praise and praise of general nerdy(?) stuff, I don't know. Lots of 'dorky thing is actually.... AWESOME!!!'.

They actually start to cringe at Barney's se stories around season 3, 2007, and I wonder if the cast had a say in pushing that reaction. He still says the lines boldly but the reception starts to turn a little muted. Also can I just say, Jason Segel and NPH are acting the crap out of their roles, especially NPH, that guy throws himself at the cheesiness of being a sitcom character. It's almost satirical, i.e. often when he leaves the bar running he will wave his arms around and bump into things it makes no sense hell yeah.

One thing that absolutely has aged well? The indie music. Jesus Christ I think I'll always be a 2009 indie dweeb because that stuff is so cheesy and sentimental and forever 😎🆗

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Lampsacus posted:

Barney: se

I'm dumb, what is this an abbreviation for?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Se(xual predator)?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shame, Embarrassment

but actually, self-explanatory.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I figured it was sexual exploitation

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I figured it was sexual exploitation

That's probably it thanks

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

HYMIM starts off with the show viewing Barney as kind of a loser who thinks he's awesome but I think the viewer base missed the point pretty quick and the show and writing very clearly shifted its own perception of the character to being as cool as he thinks he is. At some point all of his creepy plans to get laid start working and the suit obsession becomes awesome. He has a straight up stormtrooper costume in his apartment and the show couldn't decide if it was cool or not.

I remember published versions of the Bro Code being sold in a bookstore and people trying to make Suit Up days a thing at my school around that time.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

My wife was big into HIMYM before we started dating so I started watching it and then gave up either the season before the last or very early in the last season. I got real tired of all the poo poo with Robin/Barney and especially Robin/Ted. Anyway my wife kept watching and told me how it ended and I felt so vindicated about giving it up. Probably should have earlier but still.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

was "bros before hoes" from that book, or was that already an established thing? I also seem to recall the "half-your-age-plus-seven" thing being something Barney pushed when it came to actually being steady with someone (sure didn't stop him from preying on girls in the 18-22 range as he kept getting older)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Aces High posted:

was "bros before hoes" from that book, or was that already an established thing? I also seem to recall the "half-your-age-plus-seven" thing being something Barney pushed when it came to actually being steady with someone (sure didn't stop him from preying on girls in the 18-22 range as he kept getting older)

Pretty sure both those were things long before HIMYM.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

fartknocker posted:

Pretty sure both those were things long before HIMYM.

I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's a shame because the most interesting thing about Barney is his desperate clingy loneliness that renders him vulnerable, but NPH was too charming and the character got kind of bent around that charm.