Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Retired Soldier, 3k gold, y/n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
No. Not worth it for the price.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'd buy a good hedge knight or a v good sellsword but I don't think I'd pay big bucks for another background, a good adventurous noble I suppose. This means I never get to see any of their events tho so probably just blow the money on them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Raiders can be good too. Also gladiators and assasins. Retired soldiers and swordmasters are almost never worth it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sticking my dumb dick into this beehive again (in spite of having 1500 hours and not completed a game). Which start is the best at the moment?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Sticking my dumb dick into this beehive again (in spite of having 1500 hours and not completed a game). Which start is the best at the moment?

Define "best".
Im absolutely loving the Oathtakers and Northern Raiders starts because it gives you a rock solid core to build up around. Gladiators too but limits your roster, which on the other hands keeps you from having too many bros.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tias posted:

Whichever one you enjoy the most really. Peasants, Gladiators, manhunters, cultists and the two new ones all change up the game in significant ways beyond ‘slightly different starting roster. The rest aren’t going to have a major impact on the bulk of the game.

Peasant runs tend to be harder at the beginning, but the extra men will always work out significantly in your favour if the run lasts long enough.

Gladiators make the early game easier, and the special abilities of the three gladiators are strong and make a gladiator company a good bit better than a standard 12 man company. You have to have a bit of experience though to plan around not being able to swap different bros in and out. This is probably only going to pose an issue doing the monolith and the kraken.

Cultists have potential to get very powerful; but the road there is paved with challenges.

Manhunters despite the extra men is a very challenging origin that forces you to play around substantial limitations.

And I haven’t played the two new ones in the most recent DLC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My personal favourites are peasants and merchant caravan because they both play to my personal favourite way to play which is having a veteran levels mod installed and playing far into the late game, which lets you turn even peasants into hardened warriors and means the reduced renown growth for the merchants is irrelevant. But all the starts are fun in their own way by providing different challenges and benefits. Probably the only one I've given a real try and not enjoyed very much is cultists and that's just because the early game grind is particularly annoying with them.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tias posted:

finally someone else with my "it's not about beating the game, it's about seeing how long you can survive in a random seed" playstyle

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I enjoy using breddit or whatever and edit/making a player character bro.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Day 80 and not a single whip has been found....wth

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’m trying the lone wolf start, is it recommended to recruit some meat shields with spears to take off some pressure or is it better to go at it alone from the start?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My experience with lone wolf was buying up a bunch of meat shields, forgetting to equip them, getting all of them killed by easy monsters, and repeating the process with increasingly better gear until my lone wolf was finally taken down and killed by heroic brigands. Dude was a menace to the local population and took so many restless young men from their mothers.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Star posted:

I’m trying the lone wolf start, is it recommended to recruit some meat shields with spears to take off some pressure or is it better to go at it alone from the start?

So a lot of people would run with the lone wolf by himself until he hits level 11, so he gets concentrated experience and becomes strong quickly. However when you only have the 1 guy, you are severely restricted in the fights and contracts you should take. Like really, anything more than a few brigand thugs is too dangerous. So I find that process a bit dull. One event to point out. When you have a lone wolf as your only bro, and are near a settlement, you can randomly get a free squire to join you. But that's not worth basing your run around. It may not proc and unlike the lone wolf, the squire's stats are fully random, he's not at all guaranteed to be good (squires have a high variance).

My approach would be to pick up any promising cheap bros. Don't feel under immense pressure to do so. Use them to guard your knight's flanks with spearwall and just body block. This will make him much more effective as he can cut down weaker enemies one or two at a time, instead of getting surrounded and brought down.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Star posted:

Always stay alone so you can have the squire event trigger and level the lone wolf quickly imo.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Not to poach players away from this great game but Wartales recently had its 1.0 release and is on sale on steam. It feels very much like battle brothers with regards to squad based combat, managing a mercenary company, doing contracts, etc., although it is a little more forgiving in combat. Feels like a more rounded out, less grim battle brothers that had more time in the oven.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Wartales is good. I’d say the combat isn’t yet as good as BB, and it generally feels less like a hardcore tactical strategy game, but the RPG elements are quite a bit better, and the world is fun to explore. Not exactly comparable but definitely worth checking out if you’re a BB fan, especially if you wanted more to the world than just combat. Really excited to see where it continues to develop now that it’s out and pretty obviously doing well.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Yeah I think it's still got some bits to iron out but if you've got hundreds of hours in BB like me and are looking for something a little different but close to the same it hits a lot of the same notes.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

have any of you played Wartales on the Deck? how is it?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I've just put it on my deck but haven't had a sec to play it yet. Will check in after I've done so.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It played fine. Personally I'm waiting for it to get native controller support before really opting to play it on my Deck, though, but I have a pretty low tolerance for emulated controls.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Checking back in after playing on the deck-

Is there a Wartales thread already? I won't keep posting about it here after this one if there is.
Edit: yes there is, here- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006006&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The controls are fairly quick to pick up, and I like that I didn't need to find a custom key binding to access most of the things you'd want to control. On the downside the script could be a little small for some, and using the right scroll pad + R1 to select some things needed a few reclicks to find it but that could be me not getting it quite yet. Also obviously the steam keyboard might be needed to enter text.

I didn't notice any other differences from playing it on deck vs PC except that it blasted through my battery's charge.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Cool! Thank you for trying it out and letting me know.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wartales got me to retry Battlebrothers after playing about 30 hours at launch but never getting past the early game. This time, things are clicking better.

I wanted to ask, is there any way to travel faster overland? I don't mean the passage of time, I mean something that will let me not spend a full day trying to overtake a quest target I only outpace by about 15%. If it's some sort of surprise or secret just leave it at "yes", but if there's some common mechanic I'm overlooking like purchasing pack horses, I'd appreciate if anyone could point it out for me. I tried to google it but I'm just getting a lot of search results for speeding up the passage of time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wartales got me to retry Battlebrothers after playing about 30 hours at launch but never getting past the early game. This time, things are clicking better.

I wanted to ask, is there any way to travel faster overland? I don't mean the passage of time, I mean something that will let me not spend a full day trying to overtake a quest target I only outpace by about 15%. If it's some sort of surprise or secret just leave it at "yes", but if there's some common mechanic I'm overlooking like purchasing pack horses, I'd appreciate if anyone could point it out for me. I tried to google it but I'm just getting a lot of search results for speeding up the passage of time.

You can hire a camp follower who speeds up your movement I think.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Wartales? More like Snorefails.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Skulker posted:

Wartales? More like Snorefails.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I'm struggling to put my finger on exactly why Battle Brothers is so much more fun than Wartales, but it definitely is.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The head writer for Battle Brothers, Casey Hollingshead, just published their second novel in the Battle Brothers setting. I haven't read either one but the first book was received well. I read The Black Company earlier this year which is another series about a grim fantasy mercenary band but I thought it was just ok. I stopped reading the second Black Company halfway through.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 23, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I'm struggling to put my finger on exactly why Battle Brothers is so much more fun than Wartales, but it definitely is.

I've only played maybe a half hour of Wartales but it seems to trade Battle brother's compelling gameplay loop for more narrative and RPG elements. Battle brothers has a much tighter set of core mechanics, but Wartales is going to let you go on quests, engage in life sim-ish mini games, and generally have an easier time of things.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
They're very different games, really only related by being turn based and about mercenary companies.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I did notice you'll travel back and forth between jobs and towns in both but it's so much more tedious in Wartales because you have to be much more hands on in navigating the overworld.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The head writer for Battle Brothers, Casey Hollingshead, just published their second novel in the Battle Brothers setting. I haven't read either one but the first book was received well. I read The Black Company earlier this year which is another series about a grim fantasy mercenary band but I thought it was just ok. I stopped reading the second Black Company halfway through.

Regarding TBC, I know this probably isn't helpful, but you're missing out - I was thinking the same thing in the second, I kept going and was delighted to see that it really pays off right near the end. After that, the series really kicked off, for me!
Thanks for the heads-up though, in any case! Since I didn't know they wrote BB novels. I'll have to keep an eye on it - very interesting!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I still can’t believe they haven’t been arsed to do an iPad port of this game. It would be a smash hit and sell like crazy. Especially since they did a switch version.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Major Isoor posted:

Regarding TBC, I know this probably isn't helpful, but you're missing out - I was thinking the same thing in the second, I kept going and was delighted to see that it really pays off right near the end. After that, the series really kicked off, for me!
Thanks for the heads-up though, in any case! Since I didn't know they wrote BB novels. I'll have to keep an eye on it - very interesting!

Can confirm, i've got the all of the black company books and they're very much good. There's a really slow bit that my eyes kind of glaze over through which is probably where most people bail out, but it gets better again later on. The backstory is needed.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Wartales launching got me curious, but after reading more about it and BB, I ended up picking up BB in the end (on greenmangaming, 3 days before the historical low on Steam, of course). Only got about 10h in but it's been a blast so far, and I'm shocked at how much the art style grew on me when it was the main thing that prevented me from looking much more into the game in the first place. Like, I found the combat screenshots really really really ugly. Yet now, I don't mind it anymore and just love how readable it is, which, unless I'm missing something, is critical considering the game doesn't do tooltips with enemy stats.

Early game was a bit of a struggle, financially. Contracts barely paid for food/salaries, not to mention tools/ammo and occasional replacement of fatalities. A few long-distance caravan jobs turned out to be easy and very decent money though, and I later got a big break with a shady figure making me break contract for 1500 crowns instead of the ~400 a town was paying. I now have to avoid the militia around that town, but that was totally worth it. I made some degree of profit from trading, generally buying at villages/towns, selling at castles, but it never felt like much. It feels more like something I can (now) do on the side of general contracting jobs for extra income, just like running down roaming parties.

Was pretty chuffed when I managed to get a bro to deliberately smash an enemy's head to get hold of his chainmail in good condition. Took a few turns for the flail headshot to connect, but connect it did. I only noticed afterwards that said bro also has the Brute (I think) trait which increases damage to the head. :getin:

Have to say I enjoy how the tutorial campaign doesn't really do handholding but just pushes those little events/decisions to point at a few of the directions one could take. I'm kind of comfortable now with 1/2 skulls contracts and my 12-man party. Not quite sure if I'm going to try out 3 skulls contracts, explore some of the ruins I found or travel south to try out the arena.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

FishMcCool posted:

Was pretty chuffed when I managed to get a bro to deliberately smash an enemy's head to get hold of his chainmail in good condition. Took a few turns for the flail headshot to connect, but connect it did. I only noticed afterwards that said bro also has the Brute (I think) trait which increases damage to the head. :getin:
"Maybe I'll just finish this one contract and then I'll go to bed."

Also, get your guys some decent daggers and use the secondary attack to avoid damaging armor and helmets when you're fishing for gear. Best to surround the victim, which usually ends up in them panicking and turning into a pincushion.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Those books get really wacky by the end. Like Frank Herbert by the end of chapterhouse of dune weird. Definitely read to the end.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I read them all and thought they were just okay. I enjoyed them enough to finish them obviously but they're not like all time faves or anything. For what I was told was a low fantasy setting magic is pretty OP in those books. Powerful mages might be rare but they could do some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Wow, the Arena is an absolute gold mine at my level (day 60 or so). Basically an extra 1k crowns a day, not even counting the xp. Hope it doesn't ramp up too fast in challenge and I can keep milking it some more.