Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

Lol when mookie started Deegan he was planning to only have Luna in the first arc as a minor character and then move on to other characters

I mean, that's fine. Minor characters becoming more important than you figured is a common thing in writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Happy Landfill posted:

Spark doesn't look like a cat, he looks like a tiny, hairy dude that walks on all fours

what's really frustrating is Mookie owned cats when he made DD but spark looks like that

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's not just that he only draws one face but that he actually moves towards drawing one face. Like how Snout started out looking different but he became pointy-nosed like everyone else.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He IS trying to draw Skullet with a very unique face, but he can't keep it consistent at all. Go back and compare all the times you see him, his face totally changes every single page.

And then there's Corpsemom, whose face is different from every other woman... because he draws her nose round instead of pointy, and that's it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's the same with The Redactor, who originally had a squarer jaw and could have been middle-aged:

Compare that to whoever this is, it's a completely different person:

edit: If it was anyone making this other than Mookie, I'd be sure it had to be a different witch. Just look at them!

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 23, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol her outfit has changed three times.

From elaborate with that pattern on her skirt and the fringe on the top having textures

to missing the straps

to basically just the same as Good Ink Witch except with a big white collar

Her boobs also grew

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Codependent Poster posted:

Her boobs also grew

Getting punched will do that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She's an ink witch, she redrew herself. Obviously

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This whole talk reminded me of what a joy watching Yoji Shinkawa work is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ouI8KXTdzhI&pp=ygUVeW9qaSBzaGlua2F3YSBkcmF3aW5n

This is just what I could find offhand, but I've never seen the man make a sketch, and the first time I saw him work, I literally screeched in agony that such skill existed. It was like looking into the face of God, an absolutely humbling moment. I do not understand his process, but it's just satisfying to watch him work, I could do it all day.

Mookie, however, is a mortal like most of us, and construction is vital for good results for mortal men.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's the same with The Redactor, who originally had a squarer jaw and could have been middle-aged:

Compare that to whoever this is, it's a completely different person:

edit: If it was anyone making this other than Mookie, I'd be sure it had to be a different witch. Just look at them!
Her brush also got more generic-looking. Like in that first strip you could visually distinguish between Main Ink Witch's brush and Evil Ink Witch's brush, now they're the same.

Well, I guess one's broken, but you get the idea.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

rudecyrus posted:

what's really frustrating is Mookie owned cats when he made DD but spark looks like that
"thank you master nya" that I said earlier was a quote from some "fan"art that I don't actually remember where to find and was hoping somebody would post.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Zereth posted:

"thank you master nya" that I said earlier was a quote from some "fan"art that I don't actually remember where to find and was hoping somebody would post.

here u go

reposting the old threads again for easy access to check for old fan art:

Tesseraction posted:

Comically enough I grepped IRC logs for "Dominic Deegan" after a URL and the result I picked linked to one of your posts in the final thread!

First thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3279023

Second thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386525

Third (and final) thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459522

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
That... "cat"... is terrifying.

Seriously, that's a human on all fours with a catface and a tail, right?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that's just spark, that's what he looks like

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Weirdly relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK1fzRnQhQ

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mx. posted:

that's just spark, that's what he looks like

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The weird thing is there's no other talking animals or familiars in the setting so Spark stands out as even more pointless and off-putting than usual.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Spark is something from the very beginning when it was a gag a day comic and never got updated to fit in better when it stopped being that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Boba Pearl posted:

Why is it not appropriate to say your style is ugly? When did "I drew it poorly on purpose" become acceptable.

I feel like in the very early days of the internet there was a bit of a prejudice against anime/manga styled art, like people thought it was worse than American comic art and had too much sameface and the like. So in the sense of "this is done in a different style than American comics, and is just as valid" that can be true. Like, Osamu Tezuka's art isn't bad just because it's simpler than Alex Ross's.

Since Mookie is very obviously doing manga inspired art, it would be very easy for him to go "Since my art is supposed to be different from American comic art, people who are criticizing it just don't understand it, it's still totally valid" and how he can just dismiss any criticism of his art as "No see it's my style."

YF-23 posted:

I do not think the gap between panels is nearly as big a problem as the fact that it draws attention to mookie's samefaced characters. It is good composition but it really needs more distinguishing features for the two faces. Hell, reading these pages with so many orcs around whose only difference is how their hair is styled and which are chockfull of "dramatic cuts" from one scene to the other I just found myself confused and unable to keep track of who each character is a bunch.

That's my biggest problem is that they all have the same face and a lot of them have the same hairstyle. Eltu, Suyan and the Spirit Father all look exactly the same. How the gently caress am I supposed to tell who any of these people are? The Spirit Father at least wears different clothing but Eltu and Suyan might as well be identical twins.

I think Mookie also realized this, or got some criticism about it, because it isn't too long until Suyan has his hair dyed black as some sort of "mark of shame" which conveniently finally allows the reader to tell the difference between him and Eltu.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's not just that he only draws one face but that he actually moves towards drawing one face. Like how Snout started out looking different but he became pointy-nosed like everyone else.

For the record this is the very first side profile we see of Snout.

This art isn't really good, but you can see how even within this comic Mookie's art has deteriorated and become lazy over time and Snout went from an ugly mongrelman to a pretty boy who looks the same as everyone else in side profile.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hair dye is a weird mark of shame. Head shaven, sure. Hair dye? Shaving a head takes no resources, dyeing it does. You're buying/procuring dye to say "this guy sucks." And when his hair grows out, you'll have to do it again! Are there root touchups of shame?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 23, 2023

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Would prefer a horror comedy webcomic about this weird little cat man. Like, everyone but Dominic is extremely weirded out by it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Codependent Poster posted:

lol her outfit has changed three times.

From elaborate with that pattern on her skirt and the fringe on the top having textures

to missing the straps

to basically just the same as Good Ink Witch except with a big white collar

Her boobs also grew
I just noticed...old Evil Ink Witch's hat used to have a black/dark hatband as well.

Now her hat's identical to Main Ink Witch's.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Chapter 26: The March Across Maltak, Part 3: The Crone of Maltak

I need to get this part out of the way because there's so much nonsense.

We start things off with a wet fart as Donovan tries to play white savior and pisses off the locals.

It's okay, he planned it all along! This is another case of Mookie's chronic allergy to characters making mistakes. I guarantee he posted the first comic, fans called out Dadgan's idiocy, so Mookie hastily came up with an explanation to make Donovan look smart. Except Donovan is just an ignorant buttmonkey, save for the instances where he's suddenly a sexy rock star or an expert swordsman or a crafty rogue.

Do I have to point out why "make the enemy angrier" is a bad idea outside of Looney Tunes?

You may notice Mookie's representation of nature consists solely of thick grass because he can't draw flowers or trees, and animals... we know how Mookie draws animals.

I admit -- if I was 15, I'd think the dialogue is cool. Baldy is so enraged he breaks his ankle.

Is it a rule that oracles, seers, and all that need to wear Dr. Who scarves?

Good thing no one rushes Baldy while he's monologuing. Here we see the "natives have a special connection/mystical power from Nature" cliche rear its head.

Look at Spark in the last panel. What the gently caress

gently caress, it's here. The all-consuming, bland nothingness, the jet-black mountains perpetually out of reach...

Dominic immediately switches to whiny dick mode. C'mon Reinholdt -- kill him here and claim you never saw him. It's the perfect murder!

Panel 7 makes me angry. There's no sense of depth, the horizon line is too high, the perspective's off, and Mookie's strict adherence to the eight-panel format is dumb. The right way to do this is a big splash page with two tiny figures surrounded by an endless rocky waste. Of course, that takes time and effort Mookie isn't willing to spend.

Somehow, Luna ended up outside the Crone's cave. I hate those mountains, they're all the same triangle shape.

It's Azazia! She's alive! Tension ruined by lame joke!

Azazia straight-up drugs Luna into a spirit journey -- excuse me, a "vision walk". Luna won't be bothered. The next sequence is so loving stupid -- Mookie's ignorance of history and human society is on full display, and it's topped off by some plot twists that are poorly thought out at best and insulting at worst.

I have no doubt Luna's boobs and neatly manicured bush would be front and center if Mookie drew this today.

where do i loving begin

1. It looks practically the same.
2. CARNIVOROUS. PLANTS.
3. All the clans have one defining characteristic.
4. Why would a single people fracture into different clans and compete with one another? When has this ever happened in history? Was there a natural disaster? A civil war? Dunno, just "time changes everything," like it's inevitable.

The Tienchak make no sense, like nearly every concept Mookie toyed with at this point. Their existence means the orcs shouldn't have split up in the first place! We learn the Orc War started because Siggy's dad was racist, go figure. But that's not the worst of it...

Thuen Gor's curse caused children, like Luna, to be born with Tusk Mouth. What? But wait, it gets worse!

1. I believe we find out someone removing their tusks rips out a part of their soul, which aligns with Mookie's view of plastic surgery as inherently evil (his opinion would evolve into "plastic surgery is fine as long as isn't for STUPID WHORES and their GIANT BOOBIES").
2. The idea of Luna embracing who she is laughable on its own, but this implies everyone else with tusk mouth died miserable and alone. How long has this been happening? Was there a timeline established (my guess is no)?
3. BIG HERO LUNA restores Maltak by simply existing. Whee.

Goddamn, those last pages SUCKED

And we top off that mountain of tripe with a stupid joke. gently caress.

you know what i'm done for now

Next time: dad jokes, how to tell orcs apart, dominic is a dick

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Who is Huk Thak and why does he want to kill Melna?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Ague Proof posted:

Who is Huk Thak and why does he want to kill Melna?

He's the orc with the goofy wooden spear. He doesn't want to kill Melna, he just wanders Maltak and helps people for some reason.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Did I miss it or did Luna have an arc where she came to accept her tusks and considered them beautiful/special/an important part of her?

...because I was under the impression that it more like, 'eh, doesn't matter, I met some people who aren't racist hicks'.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Starting a genocidal war just because some random dude wants to live with the orcs next door.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Did I miss it or did Luna have an arc where she came to accept her tusks and considered them beautiful/special/an important part of her?

...because I was under the impression that it more like, 'eh, doesn't matter, I met some people who aren't racist hicks'.
His dick's that good.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SubG posted:

I just noticed...old Evil Ink Witch's hat used to have a black/dark hatband as well.

Now her hat's identical to Main Ink Witch's.

Our protagonists are just so weak and lovely.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

This looks significantly better than the fight scene we're currently getting (and not just because Snout is taking a punch). You can see Mookie was making an effort rather than phoning it in.

Also lol that this Redactor Ink Witch also looks different from all the others. At least three versions of a character who has appeared possibly six times.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Among all the awful, sheltered, dumb, and at times racist and sexist choices on display above, the carnivorous plants somehow bother me the most. Wouldn't it end up being morally the same as eating meat if you thought about it for one second? But I guess then Mookie can't be smug about his characters sharing his veganism.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

New page is out.

Mookie cannot draw arms. It is physically impossible for Snout's left arm to bend that way.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

nice strong pecs on ink witch mk 2

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mx. posted:

indeed. Shame about her Elephant Man-esquely outsized left leg tho, must be hard to live with

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Billy Gnosis posted:

Among all the awful, sheltered, dumb, and at times racist and sexist choices on display above, the carnivorous plants somehow bother me the most. Wouldn't it end up being morally the same as eating meat if you thought about it for one second? But I guess then Mookie can't be smug about his characters sharing his veganism.
Correct. The orcs aren't vegans. They are obligate herbivores. Eating plants is not a moral choice for them, they literally can't digest meat and vomit it up if they try. And a lot of the plants they eat are animals that are made out of "plant" instead of "meat".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Hey Mookie this comic is meant to be from Snout's point of view, if he's barely conscious then feel free to skip to the end.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mx. posted:

What the gently caress happened to Snout's left leg in the last panel? If the calf is supposed to be in a kneeling position then where is his foot? If it's supposed to be tucked to the side then the top of Snout's thigh shouldn't be facing upward, it should be facing the audience. By all accounts, Snout's left leg looks like a piece of salami.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Hey Mookie this comic is meant to be from Snout's point of view, if he's barely conscious then feel free to skip to the end.

Easy mistake to make, it's from Mookie's point of view. There's more than one Mookie present.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

The loving Hobbit trilogy :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dabir posted:

She's an ink witch, she redrew herself. Obviously

If this was in the hands of a competent artist/author, this would be very clever.