Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

No it shouldn't have had any of that dumb bullshit at all. Should have been about Obi-Wan on the fringes of society getting reluctantly pulled into helping exploited moisture farmers unionize against Jabba, or helping a group of Jawas fight off a group of corrupt Sandtroopers taking collection money, or helping a small town rid themselves of local gangsters or, hell, freeing slaves like he and Qui-Gon failed to do. Some real Man With No Name stuff, about a guy wanted by the Empire who felt like he has to attone for his sins by helping the people the Jedi never did.

Mando kinda ate its lunch on that front, but Kenobi still would have been a much better show focusing on that sort of thing.

Now I’m picturing a show combining Obi-Wan’s character and the Tusken train plot from Book of Boba Fett, while eliminating both shows, and I wish I lived in that world.

Like he wants to help this tribe who captured him, because he’s starting to understand them, but he also needs to get back to watching over Luke, so there’s that constant struggle.

I’m trying to think if that contradicts how he treated the Tuskens in ANH, but he just fights off one group of them who attacked Luke, and says they’re not as efficient as Stormtroopers (which has always been a bit of an lol line), so I think it works fine.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Risking fan-fiction territory, my ideal Obi-Wan show would have had flashbacks to a pre-Clones-era Anakin begging Obi-Wan to visit Tatooine to free his mother, with Obi-Wan spouting some nonsense about attachments and Anakin becoming resentful when denied. And also flashbacks to Anakin talking about his dreams of coming back to Tatooine to free the slaves. Then the present story would be about Obi-Wan haunted by his failures and trying to make it up to Anakin by follow through on what he and Qui-Gon should have done during TPM but failed to do because they were too wrapped up in Jedi bullshit.

But then Disney would have had to substantively recognize the prequel films, and we can't have that.

thrawn527 posted:

says they’re not as efficient as Stormtroopers (which has always been a bit of an lol line), so I think it works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TA9coGLzM

Though, yes it's a bit lol when we see sand people as sharpshooters in TPM.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 23, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The mistake is in perceiving Obi Show as happening before A New Hope, when it’s actually a retroactive narrative bridge between Episode 3 and the “Sequel Trilogy”.

As with Solo, Obi Show exists to smooth out the rough transition from the Lucas films to Episode 7 and 8 by insisting that things like The Resistance and The Knights Of Ren have always existed; we just didn’t see them. In this way, Obi Show and Solo covertly remake the Original Trilogy into something more in line with what the Disney films became. Episode 4 is ancillary, while 5 and 6 effectively don’t exist.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 23, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Sequel Trilogy movie's already hitting turbulent water

quote:

An unnamed actor was supposedly part of his pitch to Lucasfilm, and we've previously heard that Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, who worked with Lindelof on Watchmen, was that star. Whoever it was is no longer part of the project as a result of rewrites which have either changed the role significantly or written the character out. It's also speculated that the actor chose to walk away when the writer did.

As we've noted, Ridley wasn't expected to be the movie's lead, though these rewrites might change that. With John Boyega's Finn now expected to be part of this follow-up to The Rise of Skywalker (it's set 15 years after the events of that story), it's possible he's the movie's new main character; it's simply too soon to say.

Kennedy recently told reporters that the current version of the script is set to be finished by May, and this latest report claims that pre-production begins in August with cameras then rolling next February.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
lmao yes please give me another multi-year time gap in the plot Disney, it went so well last time!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Disney's time gap options:
a) 15 to 30 years so we can act like the universe somehow reverted back to the same state as the start of the previous trilogy
b) Literally the next day so you have to work with exactly the same stakes as the end of the last movie

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm shocked that Boyega is willing to reprise the role honestly.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
has that been confirmed? I also find it shocking and if it's actually happening, I wonder at what terms.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
He ain't coming back until Trilogy X ten years from now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm shocked that Boyega is willing to reprise the role honestly.

The dumptruck full of money or/and absolute guarantee of main character face of the franchise-ness must have been enormous to do that if it really happens.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I'll believe it when I see it happen

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The lovely star wars rumor sites get to eat good again for a while.

Anyway I don't think boyega coming back is that implausible. This scenario avoids him getting disney plus'd which was always his red line, maybe he can extract some kind of guarantee they won't do his character so dirty this time, and much like daisy ridley it's not like his career has been that wildly successful since (in my worthless opinion)

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 24, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

just make finn a jedi and let him actually do poo poo, and back up the money truck - that'd get boyega back imo and i'd want it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

have him be a force user good with a lightsaber but when people ask if he's a jedi now he says no, then looks in the camera and clarifies that he's still able to get laid unlike those guys

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Disney realized they haven't completely Fisher'ed Boyega yet and they cannot let that stand!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Tell him he's gonna be a jedi then undo it all in post and film his reaction at the premiere

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vim Fuego posted:

Tell him he's gonna be a jedi then undo it all in post and film his reaction at the premiere

There's Ray Fishering someone's role and then there's Terry Crewsing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uySrYIj8mhE

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neo Rasa posted:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

thrawn527 posted:

Now I’m picturing a show combining Obi-Wan’s character and the Tusken train plot from Book of Boba Fett, while eliminating both shows, and I wish I lived in that world.

Like he wants to help this tribe who captured him, because he’s starting to understand them, but he also needs to get back to watching over Luke, so there’s that constant struggle.

I’m trying to think if that contradicts how he treated the Tuskens in ANH, but he just fights off one group of them who attacked Luke, and says they’re not as efficient as Stormtroopers (which has always been a bit of an lol line), so I think it works fine.

He doesn't even fight them off, he just makes a weird howling noise - you could retcon it that it wasn't to scare them off, it was just some cultural signal, that he was telling them in their own language that the kid's under his protection and they need to clear out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Neo Rasa posted:

Holy poo poo - I remember this. So loving bad. What a disaster of a movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

thrawn527 posted:

There’s a good chance the Tusken plot from BoBF actually WAS that. All the early scripts and other behind the scenes info we’ve gotten of the Obi Wan project had it taking place all on Tatooine and heavily involved the Tuskens. Combined with how we know BoBF was cobbled together from pieces of other shows like Mandalorian S3, there’s a high probability Boba’s entire “going native” flashback plot that had no connection to anything else on the show yet took up a third of the runtime, was a repurposed version of the abandoned original Obi pitch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a loving mess.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Vintersorg posted:

Holy poo poo - I remember this. So loving bad. What a disaster of a movie.

It had some cool parts, at least. During the pandemic I decided to watch allll the Terminator movies and I feel like that one aged OK.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Schwarzwald posted:

...who ever complained that Grievous needed more explanation?!

He gets basically the exact same introduction and level of backstory Vader does in A New Hope

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Glottis posted:

It had some cool parts, at least. During the pandemic I decided to watch allll the Terminator movies and I feel like that one aged OK.

The whole sequence starting at the gas station and leading into the Harvester and the Moto-Terminator chase is a great action setpiece.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Inbetween Clone Wars seasons I decided to dabble in some Star Wars shows I'd never seen. Tales of the Jedi was surprisingly good. Like, they made Dooku an interesting character? And the action is kind of tasteful and understated. Conversely, Star Wars Visions loving sucks! I thought it was supposed to be several different animation styles but its one mildly interesting Kurosawa riff and then eight samey anime shorts that run from mediocre to godawful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like Tales of the Jedi but I don't get why the first two Dooku episodes are essentially the same story.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I didn’t realize Tales of the Jedi was out; I just looked at the episodes on Disney+ and a full half of them are about Original Character (Do Not Steal) Ahsoka? That pretty much kills my interest in the show.

The old school Tales of the Jedi comics were sprawling epics and rad as gently caress, this new series bearing the moniker (and appears to be more like Tales of One Character) doesn’t deserve to share the name.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I didn’t realize Tales of the Jedi was out; I just looked at the episodes on Disney+ and a full half of them are about Original Character (Do Not Steal) Ahsoka? That pretty much kills my interest in the show.
You can just watch the Dooku ones, they are entirely unconnected from the Ahsoka stuff.

I assume the second season will cover new characters too.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Xenomrph posted:

weird thoughts. the star wars movies are all about original character (do not steal) luke skywalker and his dad, original character (stolen into slavery) anakin skywalker

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Wolfsheim posted:

Inbetween Clone Wars seasons I decided to dabble in some Star Wars shows I'd never seen. Tales of the Jedi was surprisingly good. Like, they made Dooku an interesting character? And the action is kind of tasteful and understated. Conversely, Star Wars Visions loving sucks! I thought it was supposed to be several different animation styles but its one mildly interesting Kurosawa riff and then eight samey anime shorts that run from mediocre to godawful.

that's how all those things tend to go, going as far back as the animatrix. i'm not sure there's been any one of these anime anthologies of a western property that has ended up as anything other than mediocre-at-best.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ungulateman posted:

weird thoughts. the star wars movies are all about original character (do not steal) luke skywalker and his dad, original character (stolen into slavery) anakin skywalker

The things I like the most about the Star Wars franchise are the things that don’t focus strictly on Luke and his dad. It’s a big galaxy. Shoehorning Ahsoka into everything is lame. Make up new characters and don’t spend half the season of an anthology show on your OC (do not steal).

And I’m saying this as a person that has had a Star Wars OC (do not steal) for roleplaying/gaming purposes for nearly a quarter century; I like my character, but even I know I gotta sideline him so other characters get a chance to shine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I would have liked to have seen other characters too but we're talking about three 15 minute episodes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Wolfsheim posted:

Conversely, Star Wars Visions loving sucks! I thought it was supposed to be several different animation styles but its one mildly interesting Kurosawa riff and then eight samey anime shorts that run from mediocre to godawful.

Star Wars Visions absolutely slaps. Terrible opinion. "Samey anime" - actually they all feature fairly different styles within the genre of what you'd call "anime". You wouldn't say that GI Joe & Courage the Cowardly Dog had the "samey american animation" style. Its hard to say something like Tatooine Rhapsody is the same style as The 9th Jedi or Akakiri or T0-B1. The 9th Jedi, The Duel, The Elder, The Village Bride, Lop and Ocho, The Twins and Akakiri were all top notch!

That being said, if you're still going to be a person with bad taste and don't like anime there is a new season of Visions thats global coming out May 4th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSXqU92cymY

This has some more globally different styles of animation.

Xenomrph posted:

The things I like the most about the Star Wars franchise are the things that don’t focus strictly on Luke and his dad. It’s a big galaxy. Shoehorning Ahsoka into everything is lame. Make up new characters and don’t spend half the season of an anthology show on your OC (do not steal).

And I’m saying this as a person that has had a Star Wars OC (do not steal) for roleplaying/gaming purposes for nearly a quarter century; I like my character, but even I know I gotta sideline him so other characters get a chance to shine.

There is going to be a new season of Tales of the Jedi focused on other characters ( do not steal )

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerkface posted:

There is going to be a new season of Tales of the Jedi focused on other characters ( do not steal )

Watch Filoni have 3 episodes about Plo Koon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Watch Filoni have 3 episodes about Plo Koon.

Every episode has Ahsoka trying to find different ways to save Plo Koon, and every time she does, his death only gets worse and worse and worse

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Every episode has Ahsoka trying to find different ways to save Plo Koon, and every time she does, his death only gets worse and worse and worse

Being blown up in their own fighter jets is Plo Kloon's peoples' way of entering paradise.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jerkface posted:

Star Wars Visions absolutely slaps. Terrible opinion. "Samey anime" - actually they all feature fairly different styles within the genre of what you'd call "anime". You wouldn't say that GI Joe & Courage the Cowardly Dog had the "samey american animation" style. Its hard to say something like Tatooine Rhapsody is the same style as The 9th Jedi or Akakiri or T0-B1. The 9th Jedi, The Duel, The Elder, The Village Bride, Lop and Ocho, The Twins and Akakiri were all top notch!

I legit do not understand why you'd let Takashi Okazaki design characters for the duel but not animate the short in his instantly recognizable style. What a strange move.

Luckily if you enjoyed "the duel" they let him do a one shot comic in his style that acts as companion piece with the same characters. It rules, total love letter to everything from sam jackson to moebius and is a really short self contained read. (the translation isn't the strongest, marvel kinda cheaped out on that I guess)

Confusingly it's named "star wars visions #1" despite being a one shot, cuz again, marvel.

e: also context: Takashi Okazaki is the creator of Afro Samurai

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Xenomrph posted:

The old school Tales of the Jedi comics were sprawling epics and rad as gently caress, this new series bearing the moniker (and appears to be more like Tales of One Character) doesn’t deserve to share the name.

You're telling me the guy who has read every single xenomorph spinoff comic series is too good for 45 minutes of Ahsoka content

Jerkface posted:

Ehhhhhh I'll give you that the Kurosawa one, the Astro Boy one and the final one all have a pretty distinct style but the rest all just kinds of blend together into "an episode of something like Inuyasha but they're called Jedi instead of Demon Warriors." The bunny girl one is especially egregious in the realm of 'change two things and you'd never know it was Star Wars' and the twins one is peak anime 'super teens screaming random poo poo at each other while colors happen and then it ends'

And like 6/9 of them just do "what if the lightsaber....was a samurai's blade?!" but like...yeah? That connection was already very overt in A New Hope. You've made the subtext text!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

All Ahsoka stuff has been great and she’s basically as beloved as Luke is at this point.