Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

manero posted:

How is everybody else handling the imgur situation? I just created an account, but I'm not sure I want stuff sitting on imgur going forward. Has anyone found a good alternative yet?

It turns out I am happily vindicated to just hotlink Holbrook's comics directly in the face of Imgur so Kevin and Kell isn't going away any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/1-3/41

I love how this entire situation would have resolved itself without her :allears:

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:allears: The Creeps are great.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

I can’t figure out what this thread is doing - are we reading all these comics day-by-day together? Are people just posting their favourite strips as they encounter them?

Yes and yes. Welcome to the thread!

On Sundays I post Junk Drawer, a good comic, and Home Free, a :wtc: comic.

Junk Drawer

Home Free

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I'm real glad folk liked Blueberry - not that it was a chore or something I disliked doing, posting it like that; but it is nice to know it was appreciated. You're all very sweet.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Unless there's more people unable to see my comics than have mentioned it, imgpile.com has been working great for me as an Imgur replacement.

Retail

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Unless there's more people unable to see my comics than have mentioned it...

I have to reload your posts fairly regularly to make your comics load in all the way, but it's not a big hardship.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

These Halloween Comics Feel. Racist. In-Universe. Somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOOXRD1LanI

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Currently babysitting my nephew and niece while my sister-in-law is in labor and still made me laugh

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Darthemed posted:

Unless there's more people unable to see my comics than have mentioned it, imgpile.com has been working great for me as an Imgur replacement.

Julet Esqu posted:

I have to reload your posts fairly regularly to make your comics load in all the way, but it's not a big hardship.

yeah imgpile comics almost never load for me but i hate retail anyway so didnt strike me as a problem :V

now that its being offered as an alternative for other comics i might be interested in tho i gotta speak up about it

on the gripping hand im honestly glad we had the great firewall issue a few months back that gave us a head start on new hosting

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Darthemed posted:

Retail

No you dingdong you actually saved yourself another day of celebrating your relationship. Any major holiday is good day to ask someone out if you are a cheapskate or simply poor .

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've noticed that imgpile has trouble on awful app but works fine in an actual browser(including mobile firefox). Testing one in mobile discord works fine too - I think the problem is with the awful app and not imgpile itself.

e: Dropping a note about it in the awful app thread now that I've managed to figure out where it is.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Stone Age Caper

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Many of my posts are associated with my Imgur account, so we'll see how they last ... and in any case, it feels a bit optimistic to expect posts on the Internet to last.

Pogo 8/3-5/50

hoc opus hic labor est: this is a tough job

Archie Betty 3/6-8/47

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life (and it just dawned on me that I could theoretically make this an imgur thing without legal repercussions, but I'm still bitter, so not just yet) for April 21, 1927! Our cover artist this week is LJ Holton.

John Held Jr. meets the Phantom, apparently:

Don Herold indulges in the sweet science:

Fred G Cooper finally gave up on the fake trivia shtick, but is still making me work for it by hiding his latest all over the magazine.

Gluyas Williams has standards of decency not to be crossed...

...but Walter Van Arsdale knows what real shame looks like.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 23, 2023

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

ANSU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Somebody posted this in the Discord and it's actually pretty decent so I figured it's worth sharing here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zBaAKS2fE

Also, through that I discovered that there are a bunch of semi-new animated Peanuts specials on Apple TV+ which I checked out over the weekend (specifically "Lucy's School"). They're pretty good! The animation is gorgeous and they do a really good job capturing the best parts of the strip/old tv specials. I'd definitely recommend checking them out if you're in a position to do so.

Also, they somehow managed to make my like/root for Lucy which is pretty impressive.

:qq: She opened the window so Snoopy could finally study with the rest of the class!

Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 21, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 27-28, 1993)

Halfway there!

Big Nate

Dunce

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sad day when I agree with Nate

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
FTR Bob gets a measly $9.07 and should totally spring for Hawaii instead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

the answer is yes, with 9 bucks left over. They can celebrate at Arby's.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zereth posted:

No he washed up on what turned out to be an inhabited island and didn't, like, contact anybody until he turned up back in santa royale.

Wasn't him not getting in contact for several months with Estelle also the reason why she started thinking of dumping him in the first place? :laffo: I remember it being Wilbur saying he went on a trip somewhere in Asia looking for disaster zones to report about. Though why a guy who writes for a newspaper pretending to be a woman giving relationship advice need to cover disaster zones was a mystery to me.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samovar posted:

and... that's it! Those were the adventures of Blueberry, from start to finish...

It certainly helped with my Swedish! I now know all sorts of helpful and relevant words like 'skjutjarn' and 'guldgruvor' and... uh... well... maybe they weren't all that helpful. Still! I'm glad I did it! Thank you all for your time and attention.

I cannot thank you enough for all of the time and hard work (and creativity in translations!) that you put into this. I thoroughly enjoyed it all, and remain very impressed with the quality of the art and expositions (your final analysis notwithstanding).

I remember from my childhood, young adult years Europe, that there is (was?) a fascination with the American West, and wonder if it has to do with Europeans/British Islanders presented with (as they saw it) virgin, untamed land, and how they responded to it - something none of them had seen for several dozen generations. I do remember that the treatment of First Peoples as ...regular people as remarkable, given the utter lack of same in the mainstream literature in the US, particularly as a boomer.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Wasn't him not getting in contact for several months with Estelle also the reason why she started thinking of dumping him in the first place? :laffo: I remember it being Wilbur saying he went on a trip somewhere in Asia looking for disaster zones to report about. Though why a guy who writes for a newspaper pretending to be a woman giving relationship advice need to cover disaster zones was a mystery to me.

It's because Wilbur drunkenly falling off that cruise ship during a dramatic reenactment of Titanic was actually the *second* large boat-related near-death Wilbur has experienced! The first time he and his daughter were on a cruise or a ferry or something and the ship straight-up sank. As I recall, they weren't *too* far from land at the time, but they did have to swim a little bit. He used this harrowing experience to land himself a second column with his paper, "I Shouldn't Be Alive," where he interviews other brave souls like himself who almost died in some way or another.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 21, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Why is the plant mom jerking off her plant son?

gently caress you Holbrook.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

People in films and TV are always wasting food. Have you noticed? So often, one bite and away it goes. When police buy a dog from a van then immediately have to pursue a criminal, leaving behind their lunch! Grisly. Shouldn’t be allowed. What crime is important enough to have to immediately discard your luncheon?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

quote:

What crime is important enough to have to immediately discard your luncheon?
You don't understand! There are black people!

Krazy Kat(October 1, 1916)

$632 in 1916 is $17,208.78 today

Little Nemo(February 18, 1906) Happy President's Day!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The_Other posted:

Kit + The Wolf

quote:

People in films and TV are always wasting food. Have you noticed? So often, one bite and away it goes. When police buy a dog from a van then immediately have to pursue a criminal, leaving behind their lunch! Grisly. Shouldn’t be allowed. What crime is important enough to have to immediately discard your luncheon?

Multiply the amount of wasted food by the amount of takes.

I once did an tv-ad gig and took a single bite out of ten pastries.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Kennel posted:

Multiply the amount of wasted food by the amount of takes.

I once did an tv-ad gig and took a single bite out of ten pastries.

It's the same reason actors are usually drinking out of opaque cups, because the cups are usually empty since taking multiple drinks over multiple takes can cause problems even if it's just water.
If it's a wine scene, they usually just have to pretend drink.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

The original joke was untranslatable.

"Pääseekö Aeroflotin koneilla Alaskaan?" "Do Aeroflot planes fly to Alaska".

"Alaskaan" can either be the illative form of Alaska, ie. "to Alaska", OR it can be ... I don't even know what the form is called, but it can also be an expression of doubt added to the end of "alas", down" to make "alaskaan", ie. "Do Aeroflot planes even land?"

And the woman replies "Oh they can definitely always get you down".

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

I've noticed that imgpile has trouble on awful app but works fine in an actual browser(including mobile firefox). Testing one in mobile discord works fine too - I think the problem is with the awful app and not imgpile itself.

e: Dropping a note about it in the awful app thread now that I've managed to figure out where it is.

Alas, no. I'm browsing on Chrome and almost always have to reload the page when I get to Darthemed's posts to get all the images to appear. Never happens with anyone else.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 25, 1956)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tomati

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/23/03

Brenda Starr 11/5/50

Smokey Stover 4/4/54

Everyday Movies 5/5/36

"What difference does it make what I think of him -- he's married already, isn't he?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/4/41

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 25, 1956)

Is Alfred going to the the secret half brother…

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Mary Worth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiXyAAw1Ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I really like the abrasive health inspector character :3: