Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Yinlock posted:

It's amazing how insanely quick of a shift he had from the first serious threat in Sky to an absolute clownshow.

She doesn't though, she just kind of stands around while everyone talks about how cool she is but I don't think she ever actually helps anyone. Alisa uses her business resources and connections to help a lot and Sharon is Sharon but Irina just kinda sits there acting bored about problems she helped cause.

Her business practices(namely, the rapid profit-based expansion and letting each division essentially govern themselves as long as they were pulling in money) is what let the 5th division mass-produce mechs for terrorists right under her nose and eventually led to the takeover of her company. Alisa warns her about this(at least, how the rapid expansion is making her lose touch as to what's actually happening in her corporation) in CS1 I think, maybe 2. In one of Alisa's CS3/4 events it's also explained that the 5th division was able to be turned like this because their workers were not having the greatest time and so were easily bribed or encouraged to take out their frustrations on the company. The company is a mess but it's making money so Irina doesn't really care and it bites her in the rear end more than once(she never admits fault for it but still has the energy to talk down to Alisa a bunch)

Also I forgot that she took over because her dad didn't want to sell horrible death guns to the military. Just a real sterling human being. She has a couple cool moments but overall is just kind of horrible and never really changes for the better. And this is fine for a character we're supposed to hate, but her speeches sometimes get heroic music and people in-story often spend time talking about how cool she is, it's frustrating.

Irina actually being kind of crap at business but everyone saying she's a genius and worshiping her anyhow is the most realistic and believable part of this entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Irina is the parent, and people must respect their Elders

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ytlaya posted:

Irina is the parent, and people must respect their Elders

She certainly doesn't respect her dad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair Gwen doesn't exactly illicit a respectful tone.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I'm near the end of Chapter 2 of Azure. SSS spoke to Osbourne and terrorists attacked the conference shortly thereafter.

Some questions and a comment here. I could Google this to remind myself of the details, but I'm trying to avoid major spoilers and don't want to accidentally uncover too much info.

Do Trails SC and TC specify how much Osbourne knew about the attack on Hamel? Do we learn more about this in subsequent games? If Osbourne did know, it's going to be pretty drat ironic watching the SSS protect someone who caused Joshua so much pain, especially after he and Estelle became such good friends with the team in Zero.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's really CS4 stuff.

Late Cold Steel is pretty much where they start explaining Osborne so you get everything about how related he was to past events in there.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I finished Chapter 2 of my NG+ Hard run of Azure, using More Portraits in Azure and Azure Vitality. There was a neat special scene on the NG+ version, but it's definitely spoilers for Azure and CS 3+.

I think it was the writers doing the former by having the characters do the latter.

God drat why didnt anyone tell me these exist.

Guess I'll grab the steam versions and bumrush the games just to see that stuff eventually

Also Gilbert has the strongest glowup in the series From D to SS. Gilbert in every game please.
At the end of the day, Irina has some good moments, so I don't hate her, but she is like my least favorite of all cold steel characters, and I honestly think Rean marrying Alisa and being related to her would drive him to Sui*ide.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

MythosDragon posted:

At the end of the day, Irina has some good moments, so I don't hate her, but she is like my least favorite of all cold steel characters, and I honestly think Rean marrying Alisa and being related to her would drive him to Sui*ide.

Yes, you’ve said so, a couple of times.

~Imagine Spot~
Rean: Most of my family, friends, and students are doing fine. I’ve married a woman who is beautiful, rich, adores me, and shares many things in common with me. I’ve had troubles, big troubles, but I survived them and was able to carry on and prevail. However… my mother-in-law is emotionally distant.
*Rean sighs and unsheaths his Tachi*
~End Imagine Spot~

I mean… it’s not technically impossible… but it’s describing a version of Rean who is so emotionally fragile that ANYTHING at all could set him off. After all the other traumatic events which Rean went through and came out on the other side of, it hardly seems reasonable to assert that everything else, he could bear that – but being related to Irina Reinford? THAT's the straw which breaks the camel’s back?

There’s no indication that Irina even dislikes Rean in the first place! (And for his part, Rean seems to have a better opinion of her than Alisa does!) In CS 3, Alisa looks like she’s the happiest and most self-actualized she’s ever been because she no longer has “trying to please Mother” as her personal focus. And after CS 4, Alisa’s relationship with her mother is probably even improving, so "Alisa dumping on Rean because of Irina" doesn't seem likely.

I don’t see what the source of this "suicide-inducing stress" on Rean would even be.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gilbert’s gimmick stopped being funny a while ago and it’s insane the heroes just keep letting him go

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gilbert is like the most reasonable member of ouroboros to show mercy to frankly, his crimes are being soldier number 46565 and attempted grand larceny. compare that to any other member of ouroboros, that they also just let go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gilbert's gimmick is that he sucks and always gets owned so keeping him alive is only beneficial to everyone.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Gilbert is God's perfect mistake and I love him.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
drat this topic is getting alot of activity.

been making slow progress in Azure final chapter, just taking my time.
love slowly traveling around getting the band back together. shed a small tear when meeting back with Tio. I never played CS1-2, so everytime some old classmate showed up, I'm just like oh well.

Here, the SSS bond is presented as pretty strong, so I buy all close everyone is. And I also saw Llyod do his speech or big brother thing to everyone, so I know why they all believe in him. Still not sure why EVERYONE in CS is so focused on Rean's charisma. Didn't see anything of him really that matched Llyod.

Loved the scene with Llyod and Rixia.
And the mafia dude is just like drat you, why do you have to be such a jrpg protag.

So far, gotten Tio and Randy back. Nice to have Rixia in the party as well.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've still been playing Zero, planning to do Azure then CS or maybe even doing the full Sky trilogy and/or even getting it to work on Vita in english but who knows if I can even muster up the motivation to do that.

I enjoy the SSS but god I am so sick of some of the stereotypical tropes they hang onto.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Argas posted:

I've still been playing Zero, planning to do Azure then CS or maybe even doing the full Sky trilogy and/or even getting it to work on Vita in english but who knows if I can even muster up the motivation to do that.

Can you not play Sky on PC?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tesseraction posted:

Can you not play Sky on PC?

I'm just weird and picky and would prefer somehow playing the evolution versions

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nah that's not weird. In my case I just imported the voice files https://github.com/chyyran/skyinstaller but I can appreciate wanting the updated UI.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tesseraction posted:

Nah that's not weird. In my case I just imported the voice files https://github.com/chyyran/skyinstaller but I can appreciate wanting the updated UI.

That would probably go most of the way for me, thanks

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

GateOfD posted:

Wait I just realized you somehow started at CS3 and then went back to Zero, playing no other games.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Argas posted:

I'm just weird and picky and would prefer somehow playing the evolution versions

Good news is, they are fully playable on vita and its a lot easier to hack a vita now, and also a lot easier to play games like them.
Bad news is, Vita3k is still too weak to play them, so thats the only option.

Unless you want to take a billion screenshots like I do, theres no real flaw of playing them on vita to my knowledge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

theres no real flaw of playing them on vita to my knowledge.

Battery life ain't what it used to be.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She sounded pretty betrayed when when Sharon left. In general she's a pretty decent mum to her older daughter.

It was a breach of contract, the most horrific crime imaginable.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Irina actually being kind of crap at business but everyone saying she's a genius and worshiping her anyhow is the most realistic and believable part of this entire series.

If we're going larger-scope it's mostly a Falcom thing where they correctly identify Problems with society but always stop just short of the finish line and swerve into "but CEOs are good though" while I cry

They do this again with [CS3/4, YSIX, all of Zero/Azure]Hugo in CSIV and the entire slum storyline in YSIX. Azure is the only time it doesn't happen as it's explicitly noted that Dieter running things like a business while having no real idea of what he was doing in terms of policy, and later the rush of absolute power, made him very easy to manipulate. He still gets some narrative sympathy but that's after he loses everything and is headed to jail so whatever.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 25, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the white cat arc in ys 9 made me want to send the writers to a corner to think about what they did

it was so fumble-fingered I couldn’t even get mad at it. definitely annoyed, though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like the Hugo stuff is kinda different from "CEOs are good".

I don't think its saying CEOs are evil but its clear who the game considers more morally correct in the Becky/Hugo rivalry.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GateOfD posted:

love slowly traveling around getting the band back together. shed a small tear when meeting back with Tio. I never played CS1-2, so everytime some old classmate showed up, I'm just like oh well.

Here, the SSS bond is presented as pretty strong, so I buy all close everyone is. And I also saw Llyod do his speech or big brother thing to everyone, so I know why they all believe in him. Still not sure why EVERYONE in CS is so focused on Rean's charisma. Didn't see anything of him really that matched Llyod.

Loved the scene with Llyod and Rixia.
And the mafia dude is just like drat you, why do you have to be such a jrpg protag.

So far, gotten Tio and Randy back. Nice to have Rixia in the party as well.

I loved how in the middle of Lloyd's speech Cao is like "gently caress" as it becomes obvious that Rixia is being super swayed by it. He's probably my favorite of the 4d chessmaster characters in the series because he's on the backfoot a lot and gets blindsided by purely emotional appeals or stuff like Lloyd just walking in his front door and being like "ok what are you up to dude"

And yeah I like Rean but boy is Lloyd ironically a breath of fresh air after 4 games of that guy. He's insanely proactive, smart(most of the time), has some degree of self-respect, and his relationships with women don't take over his entire life like CS3/4 Rean.

Especially the proactive part, as a low-rung anime cop he has every excuse to just kinda wander around waiting for something to happen but he's always very aggressive in dealing with or investigating problems and it rules every time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

the white cat arc in ys 9 made me want to send the writers to a corner to think about what they did

it was so fumble-fingered I couldn’t even get mad at it. definitely annoyed, though

it's weird because the NPC dialogue has poor people saying stuff like "I don't wanna work my rear end off 24/7 to just barely be able to exist" and the moral is apparently "yeah but do it though"???

That's what I mean by them swerving at the last second, they're usually on the right track but can never quite make it over the finish line and it leads to weird poo poo like that. It never feels malicious or anything, just...why, You were so close.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like the Hugo stuff is kinda different from "CEOs are good".

I don't think its saying CEOs are evil but its clear who the game considers more morally correct in the Becky/Hugo rivalry.

Throughout CS3/4 there was always the implication that Hugo was just using the corrupt dude as a fall guy, his actions during 3/4 back this up as it's often noted that Kleist is taking advantage of their big government contract to just openly muscle local business out of the way and take over. When asked about this he threatens Rean to prove it or shut up rather than actually answer. He's also apparently helping hunt down Ash at one point.

And then near the end of CS4 he was just apparently on the level the entire time, apologizes and offers to resign? And then becomes a good guy??? why do any of this then, what was the point of like 2 games' worth of buildup aaaaaaa

I mean yes it's clear that Becky is the moral one here but while it's not exactly a case of "CEOs good" it's still a swerve into "no but it's fine though" at the last second. It's a shame because that was a cool direction to take both characters, having their schoolyard rivalry increase in scope with far greater stakes is a neat direction for them. e: IMO have Becky directly beat him in business and expose his corrupt dealings and set him back on the straight & narrow rather than the halfassed resolution we get instead

This might be a case of CS4 really obviously running out of time/money though.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 25, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GateOfD posted:

I never played CS1-2, so everytime some old classmate showed up, I'm just like oh well.
Still not sure why EVERYONE in CS is so focused on Rean's charisma. Didn't see anything of him really that matched Llyod.

Missing 150 hours of context will make you very confused!

Also, it's spelled "Lloyd"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, CS1 basically sets everything up to make you care about Class 7. And as someone who started with Cold Steel, the end of 1 hit me very hard and in CS2 the scenes where you reunite with each member work just as emotionally as reuniting with the SSS in Azure for the same reason: you got to know each of them in the first game and got emotionally attached.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have a couple of questions that I just remembered:

CS1: Is it ever explained how Valimar ended up in the Old Schoolhouse and why Arianrhod showed up to save Class VII in Lohengrin Castle?

If the answers are in Reverie, don't actually spoil it for me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MythosDragon posted:

Good news is, they are fully playable on vita and its a lot easier to hack a vita now, and also a lot easier to play games like them.
Bad news is, Vita3k is still too weak to play them, so thats the only option.

Unless you want to take a billion screenshots like I do, theres no real flaw of playing them on vita to my knowledge.

Generally I've just found that I prefer playing stuff on PC. While playing my Switch hooked up to my primary monitor and using my secondary monitor is very close to the same experience, there's still some downsides to it. Dunno how the battery on my Vita is and I'm used to the fussiness of moving files back and forth and other poo poo, I'm also a lot older and more tired than I used to be so I dunno where my tolerance for troubleshooting this poo poo lies anymore. Oh well, problem for future me.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I have a couple of questions that I just remembered:

CS1: Is it ever explained how Valimar ended up in the Old Schoolhouse and why Arianrhod showed up to save Class VII in Lohengrin Castle?

If the answers are in Reverie, don't actually spoil it for me.

Entire Cold Steel saga, 1-4, spoilers below

Dreichels left Valimar after the war because he wasn’t needed anymore, Thors specifically I guess because Dreichels built the school so it would be an inconspicuous place to hide Valimar. Maybe some navel gazing “Valimar will watch over the next generations as they become the foundation of the world” or something

Like Dreichles, Lianne had left Argreion at Logherin Castle because the war ended and it wasn’t needed. When the Phantasmal Blaze Plan was underway, the Divine Knights were going to be needed for the Rivalries, so she just so happened to pick the time to retrieve her Divine Knight when Class 7 had their Field Study in Legram. And I guess she saved them because Rean, her reincarnated lover’s son, was in danger.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 25, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I guess both those explanations were buried somewhere in CS4?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It’s not explicitly said, but you can intuit it

We know that the Witches try to hide the existence of Divine Knights every time they've appeared, and since the Vermilion Apocalypse was sealed away and Dreichles was crowned, there was peace in Erebonia. So the logical next step would be to put away the Divine Knights since they're too powerful to be unnecessarily running around. Now that I think about it, 'The Old Schoolhouse" was there first, so Dreichles probably built Thors around it. I'm pretty sure in CS2, Celine says that there was a Divine Knight at Logherin Castle, but after the Field Study she felt the presence left. Either way, Lianne didn't need her Divine Knight since she was crazy strong to begin with. And we know from CS4 that Lianne still loves Dreichles and vowed to watch over his reincarnations. She also viewed Rean as the son she never had so that factors in protecting him when he wasn't directly in the way of the Phantasmal Blaze Plan or The Rivalries

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 25, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don’t see what the source of this "suicide-inducing stress" on Rean would even be.

Rean is in love with Irina and Alisa finds out

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, you’ve said so, a couple of times.

~Imagine Spot~
Rean: Most of my family, friends, and students are doing fine. I’ve married a woman who is beautiful, rich, adores me, and shares many things in common with me. I’ve had troubles, big troubles, but I survived them and was able to carry on and prevail. However… my mother-in-law is emotionally distant.
*Rean sighs and unsheaths his Tachi*
~End Imagine Spot~

I mean… it’s not technically impossible… but it’s describing a version of Rean who is so emotionally fragile that ANYTHING at all could set him off. After all the other traumatic events which Rean went through and came out on the other side of, it hardly seems reasonable to assert that everything else, he could bear that – but being related to Irina Reinford? THAT's the straw which breaks the camel’s back?

There’s no indication that Irina even dislikes Rean in the first place! (And for his part, Rean seems to have a better opinion of her than Alisa does!) In CS 3, Alisa looks like she’s the happiest and most self-actualized she’s ever been because she no longer has “trying to please Mother” as her personal focus. And after CS 4, Alisa’s relationship with her mother is probably even improving, so "Alisa dumping on Rean because of Irina" doesn't seem likely.

Yeah, it's not like Rean is without a mother figure in his life, if anything Alisa gets the better end of the deal by having a loving mother-in-law with Lucia Schwarzer

Edit: Thinking about it, all of the OG Class 7 girls would get a sweet Mother in Law. Laura, Emma, and Fie’s are dead, Alisa’s mom is emotionally dead to her :v:

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 25, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Very few of either class 7s have full living families. I think it's just Gaius, Juna, Kurt and Rean?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Do we know anything about Emma or Fie's bio-parents?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Some Numbers posted:

Do we know anything about Emma or Fie's bio-parents?

CS4 Emma's mom was a wandering witch no mention of a father, Fie is just an orphan

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

thinking about resuming my Trails in the Sky FC playthrough. I sure wish there was an autobattler or combat skip mod or something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I guess both those explanations were buried somewhere in CS4?

The first half of your question is answered in CS2 (end of Chapter 2 / intermission evening) when Valimar recalls being previously piloted by Dreichels, and you combine this with the comment by Principal Vandyck in CS1 when talking about the Old Schoolhouse that every principal was told to safeguard it until the chosen day, as told by the founder - why he then decided to have Class VII explicitly go farting around in it on free days is never quite explained other than the usual levels of suspended disbelief for the legendary military academy where people have to relearn the history of the War of the Lions despite Rean also teaching it to a kid half his age in equally deep detail as a side-quest in CS1.

The second is answered partially by SgtSteel91 but also in CS4 I seem to remember her specifically saying she intervened because of the people involved - remember that Rean and Laura both have some emotional ties to her past, but there were also two innocent children there and her entire schtick is being of upstanding moral character; letting children die isn't congruous with that.

Actually thinking about it, the constant rehashing of the history of the War of the Lions is meant to make it stick out in the player's memories but it just strikes me that everyone in Erebonia apparently can't remember their fundamental history unless it's retaught to them on a yearly basis every year since Sunday School. Which also isn't just on Sundays.

Which reminds me of that very funny part in Zero early on where Lloyd and Elie talk about how they both went to the same Sunday School but never met each other because they had Sunday School on different days of the week. Mosunday, Tuesunday, Wedsunday, Thursunday, Frisunday, Sunterday.