Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh and meth testing! who could forget that bullshit lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh and meth testing! who could forget that bullshit lmao

Only for the protection of personal property rights though; we can't have safety testing on actual drugs for people who would consider using a drug as they're just not worth helping

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Always pissed me off when I would see a huge billboard of a real estate agent's face. Getting billboard money for being a glorified used car salesman

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
the agent for the place we bought keeps showing up on the back of busses around here

i was trying to forget you, mister 'hey i know we're signing stuff now but why not throw another 5k in'

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I hate that poo poo too. No making a lot of money out of your parasitic industry doesn’t make you a celebrity

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Worked for Donald Trump and John Key

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
this is a slander on honest banker and everyday bloke John Key

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

I've never met and do not know anything about any of those women, but can guarantee that if I did I would viscerally hate every single one of them.

Just looking at that is making me angry.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

ledge posted:

I've never met and do not know anything about any of those women, but can guarantee that if I did I would viscerally hate every single one of them.

Just looking at that is making me angry.

It's like the goatse magic eye, just unfocus your eyes and all you will see is the gaping rear end in a top hat in the centre.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Somebody explain to me why this is bad or why right wing idiots are pretending it is bad please

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/131835316/pm-chris-hipkins-defends-meng-foons-donations-to-kiri-allan

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Human Rights Commission is just too woke, you see

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

left-wingers taking bribes shows their hypocrisy while right-wingers taking bribes shows their business acumen.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

What can you even do with $10k these days. National were bribed ten times that amount

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

left-wingers taking bribes shows their hypocrisy while right-wingers taking bribes shows their business acumen.

Look, this will just make Labour beholden to his radical extremist idea of not doing a racism. Now we can’t have our politicians be seen to be influenced in this way.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/488574/more-green-members-criticise-kerekere-say-bullying-targeted-maori-pasifika

love this greens drama so much

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
did you guys know that it's easier for green members to vote their party out of existence than it is for them to agree a remit at party conference

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I still don't.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

exmarx posted:

did you guys know that it's easier for green members to vote their party out of existence than it is for them to agree a remit at party conference

Lol

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/ldr/488602/thousands-sign-cancer-patient-s-petition-to-stop-medicine-import-ban

if they can't even manage the transition of the caged egg ban then what a fuckin sick joke this'll turn out to be

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
IDGI what do egg farmers have to do with medicine imports?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

IDGI what do egg farmers have to do with medicine imports?

The flu vaccine, among a bunch of others, is grown in chicken eggs.

But no I suspect OP is pointing to an example of government incompetence in one area to suggest they are incapable of managing something significantly more complex in another area.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

The flu vaccine, among a bunch of others, is grown in chicken eggs.

But no I suspect OP is pointing to an example of government incompetence in one area to suggest they are incapable of managing something significantly more complex in another area.

The govts incompetence had nothing to do with the egg farming industry failing to transition away from cages. Why is it the govts responsibility to do that? I guess that's beside the point though - it's the banning of certain medicines that's the issue here

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

klen dool posted:

The govts incompetence had nothing to do with the egg farming industry failing to transition away from cages. Why is it the govts responsibility to do that? I guess that's beside the point though - it's the banning of certain medicines that's the issue here

The word ban is a bit misleading, the bill would require medications to meet certain standards before it can be imported

quote:

in the case of a medicine, about its safety, quality, and efficacy
It even has an rule that would allow for limited exceptions

quote:

A person may be able to import, supply, or export a therapeutic product that does not have a market authorisation if they have a licence or permit, or a provision of subpart 3 of Part 3 allows them to do so.

The woman in the article is importing a generic version of a cancer drug that is in use in New Zealand. As a known drug, it likely meets the same standards and the expensive testing hasn't been done to show this. If it doesn't meet those standards then letting people take it is dangerous.

The potentially more complex issue that is raised in the articles is advertising. People with serious medical conditions are extremely vulnerable to potential "cures". Is a givealittle page advertising? on balance, probably not. I would be willing to bet that if a legislative exception was made for such sites that they quickly would become so.

It is worth keeping in mind that New Zealand and the US are the only two countries that allow pharmaceutical companies to advertise directly to consumers. We also suck at enforcing existing laws around health supplements using careful wording to claim medical value.

The bill is replacing one written in 1981 which is not fit for purpose. It may very well have issues that need to be fixed with amendments. Assuming that the people who benefit most from the current legislation are the less than 50 who are importing tagrix from Bangladesh is naive.

I totally agree about the egg industry. SAFE are constantly surprising me with how effective their mix of campaigning and activism has been.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Content to Hover posted:

I totally agree about the egg industry. SAFE are constantly surprising me with how effective their mix of campaigning and activism has been.

The government is terrified of them. They get monitored almost like a terrorist group lol

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bike tory posted:

The government is terrified of them. They get monitored almost like a terrorist group lol

Understandable, one of the countries primary industries is the exploitation of animals. SAFE represent a far greater threat to capital than extremists with guns.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Therapeutic products bill is desperately needed to rein in the loving awful 'supplements' industry we have in NZ. That said banning buyers clubs such as the one in the article is very problematic because frankly Medsafe is poo poo, slow and incredibly expensive so getting registration for many generic drugs is simply not going to happen.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Saros posted:

The Therapeutic products bill is desperately needed to rein in the loving awful 'supplements' industry we have in NZ. That said banning buyers clubs such as the one in the article is very problematic because frankly Medsafe is poo poo, slow and incredibly expensive so getting registration for many generic drugs is simply not going to happen.

A layman's reading of the bill suggests that it leaves a path for such groups, though they would need to apply for a "provisional authorisation" if the medicine has not been registered yet. How slow that process would be is unknown, I imagine for Tagrix it could be quicker as we have Osimertinib available as Tagrisso already.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its $10,000 (low risk, not many medicines would be that people actually want) to $70,000 for provisional consent and can take 6-18 months.

Only the manufacturer is able to supply the required information (detailed GMP data) and none of them will pay the fee and put in the effort to compile a NZ specific dossier, its a huge problem already and just doesn't happen for a lot of medicines because the market size is so small.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
maybe we should just piggyback off australia

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Saros posted:

Its $10,000 (low risk, not many medicines would be that people actually want) to $70,000 for provisional consent and can take 6-18 months.

Only the manufacturer is able to supply the required information (detailed GMP data) and none of them will pay the fee and put in the effort to compile a NZ specific dossier, its a huge problem already and just doesn't happen for a lot of medicines because the market size is so small.

I read it as leaving various options open if needed, there is a section on exemptions

The Bill (379) Exemptions posted:

The Regulator may exempt—
(a) a specific therapeutic product or other thing or a class of products or things from the application of any provision of this Act; or
(b) a class of persons from compliance with any provision of this Act.
And

The Bill (380) Compliance posted:

However, the Regulator need not comply with subsection (3) if satisfied on reasonable grounds that making the instrument without consultation is necessary because of a risk to any individual of death, serious injury, or serious illness.

This isn't to say that I think it would avoid bureaucracy in practice or have the funding or staffing to work, just that the bill as written allows for workarounds. Again, I am neither a medical or legal expert so my reading might very well be wrong.

The issue I see with this legislation is that unless it receives ongoing funding and adjustments as needed it will fail, which will be the justification for something worse. Which is exactly what I would expect given the current rhetoric from National.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Content to Hover posted:

I read it as leaving various options open if needed, there is a section on exemptions

And

This isn't to say that I think it would avoid bureaucracy in practice or have the funding or staffing to work, just that the bill as written allows for workarounds. Again, I am neither a medical or legal expert so my reading might very well be wrong.

The issue I see with this legislation is that unless it receives ongoing funding and adjustments as needed it will fail, which will be the justification for something worse. Which is exactly what I would expect given the current rhetoric from National.

You can trust that Saros is very well informed on this particular issue (like actually, this is not tongue in cheek)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the bill is going to require massive changes to medsafe, so it doesn't make sense to assume they'll keep doing everything in the same way

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Content to Hover posted:

The word ban is a bit misleading, the bill would require medications to meet certain standards before it can be imported

It even has an rule that would allow for limited exceptions

The woman in the article is importing a generic version of a cancer drug that is in use in New Zealand. As a known drug, it likely meets the same standards and the expensive testing hasn't been done to show this. If it doesn't meet those standards then letting people take it is dangerous.

if a given drug had already been approved for that purpose in say AU, EU, or US, is it still "dangerous" in NZ?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah technically, basically anything can currently be got via section 25/29 of the medicines act but it's inconvenient as hell for everyone involved.

The problem I see with the act is that there are a not insignificant number of edge cases which require Medsafe to be flexible, well resourced and capable of forward thinking which in my extensive experience it is none of these things, ever.

Then again the act is overwhelmingly needed and the small stuff can probably eventually be ironed out. Medsafe have surprised me several times this year so it's possible the needed changes are already underway.

Also fun fact, the annual amount kiwis spend on basically useless 'supplements' is almost twice the Pharmac budget that pays for every publically funded medicine in the country.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 26, 2023

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a bit out of scope vs pharmacy medicine but are sunscreens still legally treated/regulated as "beauty products"?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Cosmetics, yup lol.

Don't look too hard but the subsidised one almost certainly doesn't live up to it's SPF claims.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Saros posted:

Also fun fact, the annual amount kiwis spend on basically useless 'supplements' is almost twice the Pharmac budget that pays for every publically funded medicine in the country.

well there's a reason health 2000 is such a wide reaching franchise, and even when you're in an actual pharmacy it's not like we have the range of OTCs like the USA. instead we gotta wait 2 weeks, pay a gp to google up your symptoms, and you probably get an inferior drug of the same class.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Capital gains tax is back in the news, basically inland revenue research shows that the richest pay around half the effective tax in comparison to the average person due to capital gains.

The timing of the report is terrible, Labour will probably end up repeating their promise not to introduce new taxes and wealth inequality will continue to increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the timing of the report is extremely deliberate lol