Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yo FF, what's your opinion on Metternich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I wana see some fuckin Tau

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

the US is probably trying to put eastern Europe in de facto control of the EU because insane nazis are easy to control at a distance

just kinda let them murder people and throw them some money

Funny how the US underestimates western euro racism towards eastern euros.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Popy posted:

I wana see some fuckin Tau

τ

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Make a call of duty level that is nothing but completely flat geometry, light trees and the occasional trench filled with neck high muddy water. There is no shooting section but always the sounds of distant gunfire. After 25 minutes of real time holding shift while running forward to the objective the player is killed in a scripted artillery strike. The ending cutscene is a small bar fridge repurposed as a sperm refrigerator. The camera zooms in on the unplugged power cord, the socket now taken up by the vacuum cleaner plug as an old babushka vacuums the lab after dark, humming a tune to herself.

Fade to black. Loading screen for next level.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that's arma

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah if there's one thing arma will make you appreciate it's that modern warfare is endless trudging around a landscape without seeing anyone, then being shot in the neck from far enough away that you are dead before you even hear the gunshot.

If you have more than two braincells you immediately realize that anyone voluntarily signing up to do that in real life is a stupendous moron.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
are any of the Arma games playable as a straight single-player unmodded experience? everything I've ever read about them suggests that you either have to load them down with mods like its a Bethesda game, or you need a community to play along with you, or both

I think I have uhhhhhhh Cold War Assault on my GOG account

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Nix Panicus posted:

I thought you said you didnt get any of that Saudi oil money? This seems like roughly a billion dollars worth of models and paints

nah i got that from my second shift at the Neom poo poo shoveling factory.

also those were spread across time, i essentially replaced my videogame hobby with warhammer and it costs the same as buying a triple A game a month

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

There’s a newish giant biography out isn’t there?

I’m still getting through the one of Goethe.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

are any of the Arma games playable as a straight single-player unmodded experience? everything I've ever read about them suggests that you either have to load them down with mods like its a Bethesda game, or you need a community to play along with you, or both

cold war assault is renamed operation flashpoint, which you may have played way back when. it's renamed because operation flashpoint name got stolen by the publisher. also, arma games do have single player campaigns, but they're the exact thing described in the fridge vacuum post so unless you like that poo poo it's gonna be boring. the best thing about arma games is to get on mumble with a bunch of friends/family, design a quick mission vs the AI, and then play all night

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

are any of the Arma games playable as a straight single-player unmodded experience?

Arma 3 with Forgotten Few, OPEX or Hunter Six Scenarios, or the scenarios in SOG

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

Oh cool they made an American version of the f16

I think the Japanese F-16 copy is supposed to be slightly larger too.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Biden’s team fears the aftermath of a failed Ukrainian counteroffensive

quote:

The Biden administration is quietly preparing for the possibility that if Ukraine’s spring counteroffensive falls short of expectations, critics at home and allies abroad will argue that America has come up short, too.

They're mostly focused on how to deal with hawks arguing they should escalate further and doves arguing they should push for negotiations. That's not a line they can really ride, I think.

quote:

There has been discussion, per aides, of framing it to the Ukrainians as a “ceasefire” and not as permanent peace talks, leaving the door open for Ukraine to regain more of its territory at a future date. Incentives would have to be given to Kyiv: perhaps NATO-like security guarantees, economic help from the European Union, more military aid to replenish and bolster Ukraine’s forces, and the like. And aides have expressed hope of re-engaging China to push Putin to the negotiating table as well.

The Russians won't go for that.

quote:

“If Ukraine can’t gain dramatically on the battlefield, the question inevitably arises as to whether it is time for a negotiated stop to the fighting,” said Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations. “It’s expensive, we’re running low on munitions, we’ve got other contingencies around the world to prepare for.”

Anyhow. It's true. Western backing rides on whether the Ukrainians can succeed on the battlefield, or at least sell something as a success.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t know why we indulged the Ukrainian Army bleeding themselves white if we subsequently needed them to fight a major offensive, but I’m sure it all looked very reasonable on powerpoint.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Political appointees are running the circus.

Running a conflict on media cycles and twitter retweets. Mmm. That's good planning.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

None of this explains the Hitler

they just love nazis there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know why we indulged the Ukrainian Army bleeding themselves white if we subsequently needed them to fight a major offensive, but I’m sure it all looked very reasonable on powerpoint.

the ukrainians werent asking for permission, im guessing. That's certainly what the leaks suggest at least

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

could have been betternich

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Arma SOG is great because you can wander around in the jungle talking poo poo with your mates before Vo Nguyen Giap and his sixteen mates ambush you forcing you to retreat into a minefield while the extract chopper lazily flies over you blasting tunes

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

i think that was a purely ukrainian decision, you can find reports of nato officers advising ukraine to leave bakhmut since before the winter, plenty of news headlines that bakhmut will not decide the war, is not critical, etc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fuligin posted:

the ukrainians werent asking for permission, im guessing. That's certainly what the leaks suggest at least

I don't know why my army of bloodthirsty fanatical death cultists won't act in a reasonable and rational manner.

-me, a top strategic planner

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

i think that was a purely ukrainian decision, you can find reports of nato officers advising ukraine to leave bakhmut since before the winter, plenty of news headlines that bakhmut will not decide the war, is not critical, etc.

Admittedly, at the same time, the West also came up far short with the type of equipment they have been promising and the US probably didn’t consider what the loss of Bakhmut would have on morale.

That said, the Ukrainians clearly overcommitted in a way that gave the Russians exactly what they wanted.

The US clearly has political and economic control over the situation, but it is clear they can’t micro manage the AFU (granted this was the same for South Vietnam).

That said, if there isn’t any Spring Offensive I think there are going to be more questions internally in Ukraine of why is the war going on beyond trying to bleed the Russians here and there. Also, the US has already completely blown its load and didn’t save anything for possible negotiations at this point.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The load has been blown to the point where I'm not sure how Russia can trust anything the US/NATO/EU/the west offers them in a theoretical future negotiation.

Which is very bad, because wars end at the negotiating table.

Edit:
Feels like China is going to have to act as a guarantor to get anything done and just lol at the US accepting that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The US is simultaneously powerless and the puppet master of all war.

It’s a living!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Who says wars have to ever end?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

The load has been blown to the point where I'm not sure how Russia can trust anything the US/NATO/EU/the west offers them in a theoretical future negotiation.

Which is very bad, because wars end at the negotiating table.

Edit:
Feels like China is going to have to act as a guarantor to get anything done and just lol at the US accepting that.

The US has put itself in a position where the only way forward is for the Ukrainian state to be destroyed itself, which honestly probably isn’t that bad for the Russians even if it means a longer war.

For years, the US has been pulling levers until it overextended and trapped itself, and it is clear not only the Russians and the Chinese are going to press the advantage.

———

Also, the Afghanistan war didn’t really end in negotiations beyond “please don’t knock out our transports on the way out,” sometimes one side just collapses.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Taiwan is a bastion of anti-colonial POC freedom fighters standing up to the mainland Han Chinese imperialists who want to genocide them.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

the campaigns are pretty decent. the contact campaign is good. sog campaign is great but you really want a group of people for that.

Endman posted:

Arma SOG is great because you can wander around in the jungle talking poo poo with your mates before Vo Nguyen Giap and his sixteen mates ambush you forcing you to retreat into a minefield while the extract chopper lazily flies over you blasting tunes

:hai:

rip all the mike force servers though

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If Ukraine is unwilling to ever come to the negotiating table then, from the Russian perspective, how much harder is it to annex all of Ukraine rather than force some concessions?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ardennes posted:

The US has put itself in a position where the only way forward is for the Ukrainian state to be destroyed itself, which honestly probably isn’t that bad for the Russians even if it means a longer war.

For years, the US has been pulling levers until it overextended and trapped itself, and it is clear not only the Russians and the Chinese are going to press the advantage.

———

Also, the Afghanistan war didn’t really end in negotiations beyond “please don’t knock out our transports on the way out,” sometimes one side just collapses.

Yeah but Afghanistan was much more of a directly colonial project. The US and Afghanistan don't share a border, for instance. Russia and the EU, and also Ukraine if it continues to exist, are going to share a border once the war ends, and thus are going to have a to find a way to live together in peace. Unless the US majorly regresses, it's going to continue being an active and even physical presence in the EU, and possibly Ukraine as well, so the US and Russia too need a way to live together in peace. The alternative is the war not ending, and the risks of escalation an ongoing war contains. All this is true even if Ukraine utterly collapses.

Wars can certainly go on for a very long time, even longer than any of us will be alive, but they do gotta end sometime. In the interest of regular people I'd prefer it to end in the shortest possible term, but given all the poo poo the West has pulled, I just don't see a pathway to a negotiated peace any Russian leader could accept. I also don't see the Russian state collapsing any time soon, certainly not before the Ukrainian state does. But again, suppose the Ukrainian state does collapse, then what? All this poo poo between the West and Russia continues to exist, and the willingness to talk and negotiate is still at the level that war is the only option left.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
the Ukranian line has been, the entire time, basically no negotiation, not one inch of soil

to the point there are credible allegations of them assassinating their own negotatiators when peace might break out

so like, there's that.

Simultaneously the west has had people up and down the stack running around saying all of the past agreements were just to buy time to rearmament

so like, there's that too.

Is their idea of Russian leader permanently set on Gorbachev now or something? Why would they even consider any of this?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If Ukraine is unwilling to ever come to the negotiating table then, from the Russian perspective, how much harder is it to annex all of Ukraine rather than force some concessions?

probably impossible, but also not even a goal that would make sense. even if Russia's original plan had worked they were going to install a friendly regime, not annex everything.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

When I connected a few of the dots, she said that if it is true, then it's a matter of national security, I'm risking our careers by saying things like that, I heard about them from places I shouldn't go, again for the sake of our careers and access to confidential files, I had better not say anything to anyone online about it, and on and on.

Your wife is not a true poster.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/opinion/status/1650487604373073920?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah but Afghanistan was much more of a directly colonial project. The US and Afghanistan don't share a border, for instance. Russia and the EU, and also Ukraine if it continues to exist, are going to share a border once the war ends, and thus are going to have a to find a way to live together in peace. Unless the US majorly regresses, it's going to continue being an active and even physical presence in the EU, and possibly Ukraine as well, so the US and Russia too need a way to live together in peace. The alternative is the war not ending, and the risks of escalation an ongoing war contains. All this is true even if Ukraine utterly collapses.

Wars can certainly go on for a very long time, even longer than any of us will be alive, but they do gotta end sometime. In the interest of regular people I'd prefer it to end in the shortest possible term, but given all the poo poo the West has pulled, I just don't see a pathway to a negotiated peace any Russian leader could accept. I also don't see the Russian state collapsing any time soon, certainly not before the Ukrainian state does. But again, suppose the Ukrainian state does collapse, then what? All this poo poo between the West and Russia continues to exist, and the willingness to talk and negotiate is still at the level that war is the only option left.

To be clear, the best thing would have been if this war hadn't happened, and if there could be real negotiations, it would be better for everyone. That said, what is good isn't necessarily the same as what is possible.

Honestly, the Russians see the end of the Ukrainian state as probably the best way to achieve that peace. The Ukrainian state isn't going to live peacefully with Russia for long, even if a ceasefire/treaty is signed, and Russia knows it will continue to simply be a staging area for future NATO arms shipments. If the Ukrainian state collapses, then the Russians set the terms, and NATO isn't anywhere close to being ready for war (both materially and politically). Perhaps, that doesn't mean Russia simply annexing the entire country, but it does require them to degrade the AFU to the point where it can't provide a stable frontline.

As for Western/Russian relations, they will just continue to be poor, but ultimately, I think there is more and more of a sign that Europe would probably be willing to talk about restoring some economic ties at some point in the future.

The Russians don't really have a reason to stop if they know the West isn't going to go to war over Ukraine, and perhaps the only thing standing between them and victory is time.

speng31b posted:

probably impossible, but also not even a goal that would make sense. even if Russia's original plan had worked they were going to install a friendly regime, not annex everything.

I would say impossible is a bit too far, but it is more likely they want a compliant regime with them controlling most of Ukraine east of the Dnieper. That said, there isn't a reason for the Russians to give in to a weaker deal, but rather what is going to work best for them in the future.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Apr 24, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

(and maybe nukes)

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Frosted Flake posted:

NATO doesn't care about Ukraine winning. They just want to damage the Russian military and economy as much as possible. The fact that a broken Ukraine will be an eternal source of anti-Russian terrorists and extremists is gravy.

The only reason they're concerned about the success of a major offensive is that if it fails, it means that they're no longer bleeding the Russian army, so its time to turn off the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

The US is simultaneously powerless and the puppet master of all war.

It’s a living!

do you think chile wanted pinochet?