Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I had a cheapo ceramic honing rod for more than a decade that finally gave up the ghost and broke a few months ago. When considering replacements, I decided to go with the ATK recommendation. It's not cheap, but I had a gift card so decided to go with it.

Holy cow - if this is what honing rods are meant to be, then I may as well have not had one up until this point. I haven't sharpened my main chef's knife in about a month and a half, but when I use this rod, the knife just falls through veg.

If you need a honing rod and have the scratch for it, you will not be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I had a cheapo ceramic honing rod for more than a decade that finally gave up the ghost and broke a few months ago. When considering replacements, I decided to go with the ATK recommendation. It's not cheap, but I had a gift card so decided to go with it.

Holy cow - if this is what honing rods are meant to be, then I may as well have not had one up until this point. I haven't sharpened my main chef's knife in about a month and a half, but when I use this rod, the knife just falls through veg.

If you need a honing rod and have the scratch for it, you will not be disappointed.

I've always been a bit unclear about these, are you saying that it's sharper than when you had freshly sharpened it? I thought it was just a way to keep the knife in good shape by aligning the microscopic edge before use. I would assume a freshly sharpened knife is at it's best.

Do you also have to wash your knife after honing? It's essentially a file, I would think you do.

mystes
May 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Do you also have to wash your knife after honing? It's essentially a file, I would think you do.
I always do this after honing anyway. Maybe it's not actually strictly necessary with normal honing rods but I definitely don't want to eat bits of metal.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

A honing rod shouldn’t be removing any material from the blade, it works by ensuring the edge is straight with respect to the rest of the blade, not by filing down the metal like sharpening. I’ll still give mine a quick wipe with a towel afterwards most of the time but you shouldn’t need to.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arcsech posted:

A honing rod shouldn’t be removing any material from the blade, it works by ensuring the edge is straight with respect to the rest of the blade, not by filing down the metal like sharpening. I’ll still give mine a quick wipe with a towel afterwards most of the time but you shouldn’t need to.
I don't think you can guarantee that parts of the burr aren't breaking off though

Admittedly this will presumably happen with normal use of the knife too though

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

I've always been a bit unclear about these, are you saying that it's sharper than when you had freshly sharpened it? I thought it was just a way to keep the knife in good shape by aligning the microscopic edge before use. I would assume a freshly sharpened knife is at it's best.

Nah, it’s not sharper after honing than when it’s freshly sharpened but it’s close enough to be indistinguishable which is why I was so surprised given the amount of time since the last actual sharpening.

I do always wipe it with a cloth after honing just out of habit but I’m not sure that’s necessary.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
gently caress your Atlas, throw your Philips in the trash, got a new Rootin’ Tootin’ Pasta Sheriff in town

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7212153508559162650

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Years ago I was given a second-hand convection microwave and I used it all the time till it broke. I would now like to buy a new one to replace it but I don't really know anything about them other than that the one I had was good (but obviously is no longer available because you can never just buy the same exact thing you got last time). What's a good one to get? Where's a good place to buy one (in Melbourne)? Are there any features to look for? What do I need to know?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/04/23/business/bed-bath-beyond-bankruptcy/index.html

All stores closing for good this time, going out of business sales start Wednesday

Might be time to get that Omega juicer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/04/23/business/bed-bath-beyond-bankruptcy/index.html

All stores closing for good this time, going out of business sales start Wednesday

Might be time to get that Omega juicer
I'm slightly confused because the title is "Bed Bath & Beyond plans to liquidate all inventory and go out of business" but the text says "But store closing sales will begin Wednesday, and Bed Bath & Beyond will close some stores. Just how many -- or what happens to its 14,000 employees --depends on what happens next. A bankruptcy filing does not necessarily mean that a company is going out of business. "

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mystes posted:

I'm slightly confused because the title is "Bed Bath & Beyond plans to liquidate all inventory and go out of business" but the text says "But store closing sales will begin Wednesday, and Bed Bath & Beyond will close some stores. Just how many -- or what happens to its 14,000 employees --depends on what happens next. A bankruptcy filing does not necessarily mean that a company is going out of business. "

Unless something changes they will liquidate everything, so unless like a new PE firm or bank wants to inject capital which is highly unlikely.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The email I got said they were "working on a plan to wind down operations" so barring a white knight coming in and purchasing them, it sounds like that's what is going to happen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://blog.cambro.com/2023/01/02/cambro-debuts-the-next-generation-of-food-storage/amp/

Cambro has redesigned their food storage containers so that the handles no longer stick out, you can squeeze more into a shelf, airtight lids, and optional water drainage trays

Not a fan of the figure 8 shape but oh well

Edit: they’re keeping the old design too

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 25, 2023

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK

mystes posted:

Most of the BBBYs by me are already extremely dead and gone but might need to see if ones hanging on still to see if its got any kitchen gadgets. The ol espresso machines getting a bit long in the tooth.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Good call, I might swing by and see if they have a decent food processor. I wouldn't use it much, and I have to figure out where I'd store it - but if I can snag one cheap it'd be worth it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone have any experience with Japanese cast iron kettles?

I bought one because they're supposedly good for making green tea.

However, despite following all the recommendations for seasoning it (boiling concentrated black tea inside), any tea I make has a very pronounced metallic taste. It's uncomfortably similar to blood :barf: And the water becomes gray/dark even with no tea in it.

Am I doing something wrong? None of the articles I read describe such a strong metal flavor.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Annath posted:

Anyone have any experience with Japanese cast iron kettles?

I bought one because they're supposedly good for making green tea.

However, despite following all the recommendations for seasoning it (boiling concentrated black tea inside), any tea I make has a very pronounced metallic taste. It's uncomfortably similar to blood :barf: And the water becomes gray/dark even with no tea in it.

Am I doing something wrong? None of the articles I read describe such a strong metal flavor.
I haven't tried one but maybe leave it filled with the concentrated black tea inside overnight? I think people do stuff like that for bluing knives. Shouldn't you be able to see whether it's converted to black iron oxide inside? (I assume that's the goal)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nm

mystes
May 31, 2006

You ninja edited it but I don't actually know anything about japanese cast iron pots and I wouldn't really trust an unenameled one not to impart a metallic taste either. I was just responding based on the process they were describing because I know black tea can be used for bluing so I assume that's the goal, but I don't know whether that is actually sufficient to prevent it from imparting a metallic taste.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

mystes posted:

I haven't tried one but maybe leave it filled with the concentrated black tea inside overnight? I think people do stuff like that for bluing knives. Shouldn't you be able to see whether it's converted to black iron oxide inside? (I assume that's the goal)

I'll try that.

The articles I read describe 2 different items: unenameled kettles for boiling water, and enameled teapots for brewing tea.

What I have is the former type.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey, what's a good waffle iron?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have the suspicion that others are better but I love my Griddler. Removable plates for flat, grill, and waffle. The plates are dishwasher safe, which is very important if you have less kitchen time to hand wash, like if you have young kids

Less storage space than standalone panini press and standalone waffle maker, which is why I got it in the first place

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

I'll try that.

The articles I read describe 2 different items: unenameled kettles for boiling water, and enameled teapots for brewing tea.

Unfortunately, an overnight soak with 3 bags worth of black tea doesn't appear to have altered the coloration or condition of the interior of the kettle :saddowns:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

prayer group posted:

Probably the Cuisinart WAF-F40. I've got the now-discontinued WAF-F20, which appears to be identical to the newer WAF-F40. But I don't own one to do a side-by-side comparison.

The WAF-F20 was, in turn, nearly identical to the Waring Pro WMK600, which was discontinued right before the WAF-F20 was introduced (Waring and Cuisinart are both Conair brands). So it seems like they've just started changing the model numbers every couple years, but I don't go through waffle irons fast enough to have done any A-B testing.

That all said, what's everyone's favourite à la minute waffle recipe? I like fancier yeasted versions and ones that involve whipping a shitload of egg whites into peaks, but a lot of the time waffles + protein are an aw fuggit meal. My go-to low effort waffles are the King Arthur ones (with half the sugar, because what's up with those guys), but they're merely serviceable.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I use cast iron waffle irons over my gas range. Waffle recipe is sourdough. I can't go back to regular waffles now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Annath posted:

I'll try that.

You may need to consult more specialized equipment help. May I suggest the tea thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
already salivating at converting my korean scallion pancake recipe into waffles and topping it with gochujang-sauce fried chicken btw. thanks for the recs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

prayer group posted:

already salivating at converting my korean scallion pancake recipe into waffles and topping it with gochujang-sauce fried chicken btw. thanks for the recs.

Hmm that sounds good

Now I wonder if I could waffle okonomiyaki or takoyaki

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You may need to consult more specialized equipment help. May I suggest the tea thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984

Nice! I didn't see that thread, thanks!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm that sounds good

Now I wonder if I could waffle okonomiyaki or takoyaki

both sound great. i’m gonna attempt okonomiwaffles for sure

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

prayer group posted:

I use this one since it's the only one I can find that can flip a waffle without taking up valuable storage space.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

My friend went to Japan and at my request picked up a beautiful sujihiki knife from the oldest knife shop in Kyoto. Now I need to learn to take care of it. Whetstone recommendations? Do I really need a coarse grain and fine grain whetstone or can I just use one whetstone? Any universal sized sheath recommendations to protect it/material that the sheath should be made from?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

pandy fackler posted:

My friend went to Japan and at my request picked up a beautiful sujihiki knife from the oldest knife shop in Kyoto. Now I need to learn to take care of it. Whetstone recommendations? Do I really need a coarse grain and fine grain whetstone or can I just use one whetstone? Any universal sized sheath recommendations to protect it/material that the sheath should be made from?

I appreciate you came here with intent to show respect to the tool, absolutely though you shouldn't cut corners (heh) for a knife from the oldest knife shop in Kyoto so yes it deserves to be sharpened properly, which means a minimum of two grits and an optional stropping after. Even the cheap generic knife sharpeners you find all over the place use two grits.

The King KW65 is a double grit setup and it's very good for the money. I got mine on Amazon. I wouldn't worry about stropping at this point unless you feel gung ho. I would honestly say you should practice the sharpening with other knives first. Please show us your new knife!

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Thank you for the recommendation! Here is the knife:

The handle is unfinished wood, I'm thinking it would make sense to lightly sand and treat with mineral oil? The shop's name is Shigeharu and dates back to the Kamakura period, they don't sell or advertise online. Needless to say this is now the most prized item in my kitchen.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

pandy fackler posted:

Thank you for the recommendation! Here is the knife:

The handle is unfinished wood, I'm thinking it would make sense to lightly sand and treat with mineral oil? The shop's name is Shigeharu and dates back to the Kamakura period, they don't sell or advertise online. Needless to say this is now the most prized item in my kitchen.

drat, that is a fine knife.

Shame they don't sell online... I wonder if the staff speak enough English to take an order by phone lol.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Annath posted:

Shame they don't sell online... I wonder if the staff speak enough English to take an order by phone lol.

I bet they speak plenty of Japanese that also works on the phone.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Annath posted:

My friend said they relied heavily on Google translate to communicate so I'd enlist the help of someone who speaks Japanese if you want to give it a try.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I bet they speak plenty of Japanese that also works on the phone.

But, see, I'm a lazy American who only speaks English.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Annath posted:

It's labelled as kanetaka so if it's the same kanetaka as https://www.kanetakahamono.com/, they have a listing on rakuten and it might be this one: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/kanetaka/10000761/

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

mystes posted:

It's labelled as kanetaka so if it's the same kanetaka as https://www.kanetakahamono.com/, they have a listing on rakuten and it might be this one: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/kanetaka/10000761/

I may be mistaken about where it came from! My friend didn't actually tell me the name of the shop or anything so I did some sleuthing and came to that conclusion.