Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Nordick posted:

I think it was because it sounds cool as poo poo

In A Gadda Da Vida just wouldn't be the same without it :colbert:

e: Or House of The Rising Sun of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mister Speaker is right though-- being available in churches definitely played a huge element in it. People get comfy learning on it and hearing it, and then learn how to push the limits.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mind the walrus posted:

Mister Speaker is right though-- being available in churches definitely played a huge element in it. People get comfy learning on it and hearing it, and then learn how to push the limits.

Also rock and roll started as a conscious blending of blues and gospel. Including a church organ is kind of natural.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

OwlFancier posted:

organistrum/hurdy gurdy video

That's interesting, it didn't occur to me that a Hammond's wheels are essentially an electric hurdy-gurdy. You reminded me that this is a thing, and I think it fits the thread very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKE0TT1qo8E

I'm not sure in what way this guy has 'prepared' the Horror Gurdy other than alternative tunings, but this is haunting. I kind of want an Apprehension Engine; the guy who 'invented' it is a luthier from around here - but apparently the base model is like $10k.

Nordick posted:

I think it was because it sounds cool as poo poo

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also rock and roll started as a conscious blending of blues and gospel. Including a church organ is kind of natural.

:hmmyes:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Oh, it's that sound from every godspeed you black emperor album

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Apprehension Engine was my third favorite indiana jones movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It sounds like a Charles Stross 'Laundry Files' book

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ye olde ghostebuster equipment

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Neither actually a Hammond - Vox Continental combo organs which were cheap transistor organs rather than the tonewheel style. Used by garage bands because they cost (and weighed) a fraction of the big B3/C3 setups.

@Mister Speaker The Hammond is a surprisingly good church organ when played clean and without rotary speaker. Laurens Hammond hated the Leslie and refused to buy the company when he had chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iajKU3EeBc4

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I once saw a band named Hammers of Misfortune that used an electric B3 (i think) organ. They also said that was one of the reasons they didnt tour much.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

I once saw a band named Hammers of Misfortune that used an electric B3 (i think) organ. They also said that was one of the reasons they didnt tour much.

Yeah everyone is like 'Holy poo poo! A Rhodes piano for only $75!' and then they pick it up and realize it's 100lbs.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

This reminds me; a Finnish sculptor, Markus Copper, bought a set of used organ pipes when a church was removing theirs and used them to build a mechanical sculpture that was meant to mimic the sounds whales make. The result, called Archangel of the Seven Seas looks cool and was recently showcased at the local museum of modern art:

Video about the topic (cw: self-harm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjfykusxsM)

As an aside, Copper also made some other neat (or "neat", depending on your views) sculptures:

Juggernaut, a massive steel ball that had heat sensors and a motor so that it could roll over and crush the audience to death if they went to the cage with the ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-w1FHPK_A&t=237s
(I timestamped the relevant bit; it's just a short showcase of the sculpture)

Sixpack of Instant Death, a set of 6 metal sculptures that contained explosives with each one having a lock and a corresponding key; if the sculptures were connected to each other and and each had its key turned in its lock, the sculptures would all detonate. The Finnish police actually hunted these down some years ago to neutralize them.

Bourgeoisie door. Get it?

To me there's something really fascinating about this kind of unusual & brutal art. Especially the idea of a sculpture that tries to roll over the audience is oddly interesting.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorZcOzNcgE

This is also on topic because Ian Gillan's insane banshee wails are badass as hell

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Hempuli posted:

Markus Copper

This rules, thank you for posting it.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

...the hammond organ is arguably an electric hurdy gurdy.

And sounds better than this, as neat as this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6vv4IPGgRk
Counterpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdCU75EMqh4

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Why even pick up a hurdy gurdy if you don't want to play it properly

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm not really a hurdy gurdy man unfortunately

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You can't be all willy nilly with your hurdy gurdy you silly billy

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

If you're gonna commission a custom hurdy gurdy, it's just got to have a dragon on it somewhere.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
https://i.imgur.com/prJHoSt.mp4

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

drat it why won't my monitor turn on

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A gremlin! Drive it away!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Kenning posted:

A gremlin! Give it scritches!

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3FGiNRyGqg

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Giving cats fur was truly the greatest PR move in history

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

They really do look like weird--rear end goblins when they stand like that. They're uglorable. Endearingly scrotal.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was thinking about watching the machinist, is it good?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Someone call Boston Dynamics to mount this on some legs.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

What would this typically be used for?!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jakabite posted:

When a dual or triple minigun isn't cutting it, obviously.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jakabite posted:

Imagine the hill they’re shooting into is brown civilians in a country that has oil

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jakabite posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's designed to be ship mounted to be able to intercept incoming missiles.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Jakabite posted:

Monetizing chud masturbatory habits.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's designed to be ship mounted to be able to intercept incoming missiles.

I strongly suspect this is an old quad M2 mount meant for AA that's been repurposed. Four fifties is terrifying. Four miniguns is loving comical :stonklol:

Phalanx has one gun per, uh, pod. But I don't know about other countries/setups.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think this is just chuds dicking about. Yes people can buy miniguns of course they can what kind of fool would suggest that you shouldn't be able to.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Roblo posted:

I think this is just chuds dicking about. Yes people can buy miniguns of course they can what kind of fool would suggest that you shouldn't be able to.

Honestly it's less problematic than being able to buy semi auto rifles. What's a civilian with a minigun gonna do, rob a bank? Pull it out to end an argument?

I mean, it could probably do both of those things. But somehow it hasn't come up, unless you believe that report of a cartel in Mexico mounting one in a panel fan and using it for a drive-by.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you buy a hand crank gatling gun, I think that doesn't technically count as a machine gun under US law because it's not firing multiple rounds per trigger pull. I don't know if that extends to electrically driven versions of the same mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
It's for these types of situations ofc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nNJ4v-k_Ng