Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That's a wheel lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

What's that horseshoe shaped thing under the seat stays?

They call it a cafe lock and it locks the back wheel.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

What's that horseshoe shaped thing under the seat stays?

Built-in bike lock.

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/blog/ebike-security

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Thoughts on using a phone mount for newer devices that have OIS? I've always heard that the vibrations/rattling will permanently mess up the OIS but wasn't sure if newer mounts have a way of suppressing those.

Bonus pic of my new Turris, which I finally had a chance to take out this week. Cruised up the areas around Mulholland Drive like a champ!

https://imgur.com/a/ksUaEMF

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 12, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Quad Lock put this out for motorcycles:
https://www.quadlockcase.com/products/vibration-dampener?variant=32819777372235

Not quite the same application, since the moto engine is a steady source of high frequency vibration, but clearly they take the problem seriously.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Is Huffy more reliable than Amazon chinese brands? $500 for an e-bike sounds too good to be true: https://www.huffybikes.com/everett-plus-huffy-electric-comfort-bike-e4860/

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
was lookin for a road/gravel bike but i came across this 1up roadster v2 and its tempting, anyone got opinions on it? https://ride1up.com/product/roadster-v2/

edit - ..though now after watching some videos on it.. they previously had a gravel version that had disc brakes that's maybe discontinued ..not sure its not on the website anymore i've messaged em asking if they will get more stock of it

i don't really have higher budget than 1k so i've also not really found any road/gravel ones yet. i remember looking in a local shop at some cannondales a year or two ago and they were 7- 800

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 14, 2023

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Turmoilx posted:

was lookin for a road/gravel bike but i came across this 1up roadster v2 and its tempting, anyone got opinions on it? https://ride1up.com/product/roadster-v2/

edit - ..though now after watching some videos on it.. they previously had a gravel version that had disc brakes that's maybe discontinued ..not sure its not on the website anymore i've messaged em asking if they will get more stock of it

i don't really have higher budget than 1k so i've also not really found any road/gravel ones yet. i remember looking in a local shop at some cannondales a year or two ago and they were 7- 800

Their new Turris might be close to what you're looking for.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i like the gravel/road bike look, that turris looks real chunky.

i found some bikes though over the past hour or so thanks to re-finding 99 spokes

just waiting for 1up to respond about the gravel version of roadster as far as electric ones go

update: lmao

no wonder i couldn't find it. i think it gets like 15-20 real miles on a charge thats not much in the ebike world i think? but to me thats pretty cool while keeping it all tucked in the frame

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 15, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

super having fun with these RipCurrents. I actually go for bike rides for fun now, and have been out with my spouse a couple times. The nice weather is just arriving, snow riding was fun too.

I am sold on the tech, and, while I think this is the fastest thing my wife would want and so if she ever upgrades it might be to something like a full e-MTB, I can very much see myself grabbing a Sur-Ron or similar to gently caress around on trails and backroads up here, and I think if I did that my desire for another actual motorcycle would evaporate.

Fred Dawes posted:

Is Huffy more reliable than Amazon chinese brands? $500 for an e-bike sounds too good to be true: https://www.huffybikes.com/everett-plus-huffy-electric-comfort-bike-e4860/

At 3x plus the MSRP I would not say the Juiced! build quality is "amazing" so I would assume if sounds too good to be true, probably is?

There's some e-dirtbikes in that range I am considering for my kid in a year or two but they are designed to go 15mph with a 90lb rider.

e: that huffy is a lower power deal, 20mph max with assist (vs 28ish on Juiced/Avalon/etc). Also it's a huffy. Have you ever owned a huffy? I assume it's a "normal" huffy frame which means total budget parts, thin aluminum, etc. I have broken a huffy pedal bike in half from relatively normal use, I believe.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 15, 2023

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

https://detroitbikes.com/products/detroit-bikes-electric-usa-made yall seen this before? new to me. they store the battery and motor all in the rear hub.

at first looking at it i was thinking oh yeah this is slick where are they hiding the battery though those tubes look too thin ..and that they were it aint there

seems pretty easy way of converting a bike too probably

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

First popularized by Superpedestrian with their Copenhagen Wheel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_Wheel

I still see some riding around Boston, maybe since this is where they were developed.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I just got a new ebike, and i’m curious about some parts that are on it:

Whats the purpose of the 4 plastic things on the front shock absorber tubes? And I shouldn’t remove the foam things that are under it right?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

To stop you from denting things when that triple tree fork turns too far.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Any thoughts on this cute little REI bike?

https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike

I like the size and racks, but have no idea about the rest. Is an REI bike with a Bafang motor at this price a decent deal?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Looks good to me. The brakes and drivetrain is what I would expect in that price range, and similar to what I've got a on my Aventon Pace. I'm jealous of the front rack and center stand, and for what it's worth I ended up spending a lot more to get to similar utility with my Pace.
The only concerns that pop to mind are the lack of fenders, but the chonky frame and racks might help keep you dry in wet conditions, and that it's class 1, so if you have a long commute and want to go faster than 20mph or ride without pedaling (boo) it might not be a great fit.

If you have an REI nearby for test rides and service it would be a no-brainer.

In a semi-relevent digression, I did a half-day tour around Tokyo earlier this month on a IIRC, Panasonic SW ebike. Something like this, but beat to poo poo and black:

250w mid drive, 3-speed hub and a 15mph PAS cutout. Starting around $700 with a 200wh battery. And it was perfectly cromulent for moving boomer tourists up and down hills all morning. It really made a point to me about how-little e-assist you need to turn a mediocre bike into something super useful.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Been using my Swytch kit on my Brompton for a couple of weeks now, and I really like it. It makes the hills around where I live MUCH nicer, and I've actually taken this thing out to go shopping, something I basically never did before I converted it.

I got the bigger battery pack (180Wh/~30 km), but that's still on the lower end of most ebike battery capacities, so I need to be kind of frugal with the motor usage. Still, even just using the motor for climbing the big rear end hill leading to my house and when I need to ride with traffic makes the bike way more usable than it was before. I'm still shifting gears and using my legs for the majority of my ride.

It's got a bit of rolling resistance, being a direct drive motor. But I previously had a dynamo on this bike, so it's really not much more/any more than I'm used to.

The placement of the battery connector means that the prime real estate for a phone and water holder is taken up. I've ordered a stem mount and mount that should make better use of the limited real estate available. I'll also be replacing my existing dynamo powered front light with a mount and battery powered one since it no longer works for lack of a power source.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tigren posted:

Any thoughts on this cute little REI bike?

https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike

I like the size and racks, but have no idea about the rest. Is an REI bike with a Bafang motor at this price a decent deal?

20" no suspension looks like a shorten wheelbase quasi cargo bike.

If you want a proper cargo bike, there are a few good ones in that price range. Like Lectric and Ride1up both have it. There are at least 5 good cargo bikes announced this year, I cant remember all their models. There are at least one come with front suspension.

If you just want a compact bike, I think a folding 20x4 is a more utilitarian approach.

I would only consider this one if you can get at least a 20% discount. The orange color is a plus.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you want a proper cargo bike

This size (that OP said was nice) is a growing segment, maybe kicked off by the Tern HSD. Minimal length for having a large rear deck and decent wheelbase. Specialized’s version can carry over 400lbs, so it’s pretty proper in my book.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

isn't no suspension preferable on a budget bike to an extremely cheap spring suspension fork? especially with those tires

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

webcams for christ posted:

isn't no suspension preferable on a budget bike to an extremely cheap spring suspension fork? especially with those tires

Nah just look at every 1k to 2k bikes, all of them have cheap front suspension. It definitely helps in potholed road.

I mean you don't NEED it, because you can get a seatpost suspension. But I would count the lack of front suspension as a $100 minus.

kimbo305 posted:

This size (that OP said was nice) is a growing segment, maybe kicked off by the Tern HSD. Minimal length for having a large rear deck and decent wheelbase. Specialized’s version can carry over 400lbs, so it’s pretty proper in my book.

Yeah I still haven't seen a proper rear hub copy of the GSD/HSD. However I have seen a couple folding 20"+ mega batteries (30AH-40AH) + factory rear seat included offering this year. So I think the Chinese bikes are using raw power to solve this problem. But they are brands I have never heard of so i won't recommend them.

Edit, actually there is a copy of HSD

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/globe-haul-st

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 25, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Suspension doesn't really matter, but that bike looks silly. It's got a small rear wheel but a high deck.

This is the SUV compared to the HSD's wagon. It's got enormous trail tires for no reason, and those baskets are just going to be ponds in the rain; the HSD accessories are much better.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 25, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That’s the one I mentioned.

evil_bunnY posted:

This is the SUV compared to the HSD's wagon. It's got enormous trail tires for no reason, and those baskets are just going to be ponds in the rain; the HSD accessories are much better.

I assume there’s at least one drainage hole for each bucket.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
See I want a rear hub shorten wheel base copy of the HSD. I like the smaller size, it takes up less space for apartment dwellers. Accessories doesn't matter, I can get third party accessories cheaper. Or just build your own homedepot running board and monkey bar.

If I have 2 kids and I want a new ebike right now, I would get the Xpedition cargo. I really like the idea of 2 identical batteries. I think this is the way to go for cargo bikes. But I would love to see a slightly shorter Xpedition. Shorter bike is also easier to carry on a hitch trailer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

See I want a rear hub shorten wheel base copy of the HSD. I like the smaller size, it takes up less space for apartment dwellers. Accessories doesn't matter, I can get third party accessories cheaper. Or just build your own homedepot running board and monkey bar.

Tern has everything
https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/bikes/471/nbd
Well, I guess not on the hub motor.

There are smaller bikes, but their lower quality means they’re usually heavier, which offsets the size some.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I assume there’s at least one drainage hole for each bucket.
One review I saw specifically mentioned there weren't.

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

One review I saw specifically mentioned there weren't.
lol that specialized can't figure out how to correctly put buckets on a bike

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hard pannier style buckets really can't carry stuff. It's much better to just offer a milk crate giant basket option.

One thing that's extremely good at hauling poo poo IME is a bucket childseat. That tall bucket shape and the front handle bar make it very easy to just drop a giant supermarket bag in it and be secure.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 25, 2023

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

I mean you don't NEED it, because you can get a seatpost suspension. But I would count the lack of front suspension as a $100 minus.

imho cheap suspension forks basically end up feeling like springs, and they weight like 3-4x as much as rigid forks. they also are an energy suck if they are springing up and down a bit with each pedal stroke.

big tires or a decent suspension seatpost have a lower weight/speed penalty

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Man_of_Teflon posted:

imho cheap suspension forks basically end up feeling like springs, and they weight like 3-4x as much as rigid forks. they also are an energy suck if they are springing up and down a bit with each pedal stroke.

big tires or a decent suspension seatpost have a lower weight/speed penalty

every criticism here is negated by the existence of pedal assist. All efficiency variables on an analog bicycle are negated by the motor. That's why the fat tire bike is so successful, you get all the inclusivity of all of its off and on road comfort and capacity and all the drawbacks are meaningless because it's an ebike
Cheap suspension is for comfort, not performance.

Tern IMO makes the best cargo bikes in terms of what you get for the price other than the hard core types like Bullitt and Butchers and Bicycles

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

lol that specialized can't figure out how to correctly put buckets on a bike
They're completely out of their element TBH. The Tern GSD was a *masterful* first attempt at a 20" wheel cargo long tail, but half the trick was the extended accessory range. Now some smaller outfits make cheaper equivalents/knockoffs with inexpensive power/finishing kits but spesh's attempt is just silly. It's a HSD that's 150% the weight and less useful.

Huggybear posted:

every criticism here is negated by the existence of pedal assist. All efficiency variables on an analog bicycle are negated by the motor. That's why the fat tire bike is so successful, you get all the inclusivity of all of its off and on road comfort and capacity and all the drawbacks are meaningless because it's an ebike
Cheap suspension is for comfort, not performance.
undamped suspension really isn't confidence-inspiring TBH, when you hit a bump mid-corner you want one motion up, one down and done; not endless rebound.

Big tires are great on cargo e-bikes, provided they're designed for road-riding. Knobbies are *SO* noisy and so much less trustworthy to take corners on.

Tern does make legit great bikes. That new riese+müller multitinker is the only thing that comes close, and it's *even more* money and has some real drawbacks.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 26, 2023

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Huggybear posted:

every criticism here is negated by the existence of pedal assist. All efficiency variables on an analog bicycle are negated by the motor.

this is a good point re: efficiency and weight, the impact on range is probably fairly negligible vs the increase in effort on an analog bike.

I do think the pogo effect from cheap suspension forks can be dangerous, in that it can give you the comfort and confidence going over small bumps to get you riding faster than you would otherwise, and then it makes you lose traction in a less predictable manner when you hit a big bump at speed.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Was curious about getting an ebike for commuting type stuff, but I'm also considering old-school mopeds because I like to pretend that I know what socket wrenches are for.

Are there any ebike brands with a reputation for a good amount of repairability/hackability/diyity? I know bafang makes mid-drive kits that you can kinda-sorta slap on whatever, but it might be cool to get something at least somewhat purpose-built.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The noise difference is stark. Nowadays when I see an increasingly rare moped, it bugs me how loud they are for having barely more zip than a class 3 e-bike.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

The noise difference is stark. Nowadays when I see an increasingly rare moped, it bugs me how loud they are for having barely more zip than a class 3 e-bike.

Yeah, and I'm not too chuffed about the prospect of huffing burnt oil, an ebike would be nicer, but I also am incredibly leery of buying 1500 dollars worth of proprietary whatever, having some sensor eat poo poo a year later and having the whole thing turn into lawn ornamentation. So... yeah, any companies with especially good track record of generic/available components?

Edit edit: I've looked and it seems bosch or bafang would be the go-tos? Anyone know a good commuter/city bike with either in a mid drive for ~1500?

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 3, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Got out for my first ride of the year last Saturday and half of the many bikes I passed were electric. I'd heard about the crazy sales but this is the first time some real anecdata slapped me in the face. My Trek Allant is still humming along great. I'd almost swear it gives some assist even set to none because it rides way too well for a 55lbs bike.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

49cc mopeds are also slow as BALLS compared to an e-bike with decent torque. Modern mid-drives have the torque approaching that of a small car.

Mirconium posted:

Yeah, and I'm not too chuffed about the prospect of huffing burnt oil, an ebike would be nicer, but I also am incredibly leery of buying 1500 dollars worth of proprietary whatever, having some sensor eat poo poo a year later and having the whole thing turn into lawn ornamentation. So... yeah, any companies with especially good track record of generic/available components?
You can probably get a mostly un-integrated electric moped from somewhere.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mirconium posted:

Was curious about getting an ebike for commuting type stuff, but I'm also considering old-school mopeds because I like to pretend that I know what socket wrenches are for.

Are you talking about super 73 style moped or "Vespa"? You have to say what country you are in.

quote:

Are there any ebike brands with a reputation for a good amount of repairability/hackability/diyity? I know bafang makes mid-drive kits that you can kinda-sorta slap on whatever, but it might be cool to get something at least somewhat purpose-built.

I mean, Luna sell bike made in bafang kits so its easy to diy yourself. But don't expect to save much money.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Mirconium posted:

So... yeah, any companies with especially good track record

Check out Grin Technologies in Canada (https://www.ebikes.ca) if you really want to DIY - very solid components engineered in-house, high quality parts sourcing, fantastic customer support... quite expensive.

We bought a pair of all-axle kits with one (very nice) charger for around $3500 iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbMH3AsYFh4&t=9s a work of art no cables to be seen and surely to cost a small fortune