Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Universal ammo worked fine in ME2 and ME3. It doesn't inherently lead to bad combat.

TBF, ME 2&3's ammo system works a bit differently than DX: IW.

In Mass Effect ammo pickups provide a set amount of ammo for all the guns you are allowed to (ME2) or choose to (ME3) carry. The aim was more to encourage use of all your weapons than prioritizing one over the others.

Even then there were fights in ME2 where you could really gently caress yourself with certain classes that used minimal weapon loadouts. The Collector ship floating platform sequence and the final boss fight spring to mind here. The Legendary Edition of ME2 gave you a lot more heatsinks to avoid that problem, so they knew the system didn't work well with some of the battles.

Little things dragging ME3:LE down:

The Citadel DLC can be a lot of fun, but it has some major difficulty spikes, one of which isn't helped by the weight system effecting power cooldowns. They force you to use only a very heavy pistol, without mods, during a long Sushi bar->markets fight early in the DLC when you are without any squadmates. A power focused class like Engineer could mitigate having limited ammo, but the increased cooldowns can make that sequence a royal PITA on Insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's mandatory to play Mass Effect LE on PC. That way you can cheat to skip the mining grind in 2, and actually afford the countless weapon upgrades in 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never had a problem with affording upgrades in ME3 but cheating your way to 99999 credits in ME1 and minerals in ME2 is almost mandatory for enjoyment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

madeintaipei posted:

TBF, ME 2&3's ammo system works a bit differently than DX: IW.
It does and that's why I think universal ammo doesn't deserve the bad reputation it sometimes has.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It does and that's why I think universal ammo doesn't deserve the bad reputation it sometimes has.

Arguably that's because ME2+3 doesn't have universal ammo, it has universal ammo pickups

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I liked the mineral scanning in ME2.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Universal ammo worked fine in ME2 and ME3. It doesn't inherently lead to bad combat.

ME2/3 did mitigate it a bit by splitting the ammo into 2 types - Normal and Heavy Weapon.

I think using shotgun ammo to fire the grenade launcher would have led to issues there too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
ME2's problem is that heat sinks were slapped in at the last minute to replace the original Ghostbusters style reloads and the method they went with is a mess. It's trying to do the RE4 style use up ammo -> get more ammo dynamic thing, but the spawn points for ammo are atrociously placed and the whole thing only barely worked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Solution: Play Vanguard.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Funny thing, I was playing a Vanguard. And frequently encountering fights that were to risky to go ham on (admitedly I was bad at the game all but certainly) and more pertinently fights that were far too outside charge range or my personal favorite, ones that featured enemies on isolated balconies you flatout weren't allowed to charge because you'd get stuck. Enforced shooting galleries.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing Vanguard sucks on higher difficulty, the charge becomes effectively worthless and is just a good way to get yourself in the middle of a bunch of enemies that kill you immediately.

John Murdoch posted:

Funny thing, I was playing a Vanguard. And frequently encountering fights that were to risky to go ham on (admitedly I was bad at the game all but certainly) and more pertinently fights that were far too outside charge range or my personal favorite, ones that featured enemies on isolated balconies you flatout weren't allowed to charge because you'd get stuck. Enforced shooting galleries.

This too

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I loving loved playing on the highest difficulty with vanguard but its usually after Horizon before it comes online and before that you are made of paper and bubbles. I got use to loading checkpoints.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah the ammo part wasn't why the combat sucked so bad in ME2.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I am on Mission 11 of the Advance Wars remaster and thus far there's been 2 missions that had unit production buildings. When you combine no reinforcements with premade armies you don't really get to lean into Max or Sami's strengths, Andy is basically always the best option.

Edit: I'm a moron

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Apr 25, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know it's the point but I'm in the middle tier of Lobotomy Corp and there's way too many plates to spin and I have the type of broke brain that can't handle meat grinding my people. I installed some mods and it's better but people can still get instant killed by abnormalities :negative:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Riatsala posted:

I am on Mission 11 of the Advance Wars remaster and thus far there's been 2 missions that had unit production buildings. When you combine no reinforcements with premade armies you don't really get to lean into Max or Sami's strengths, Andy is basically always the best option.

Edit: I'm a moron

Having beaten the advance wars 1 remaster, I can't think of a single mission I played where Sami would have been the best choice. Either it was Andy because I figured indirects would be useful, or Max for raw wrecking potential. The first mission you can pick Sami on isn't even a good one for her, really.

And yeah, the first game is pretty stingy on missions with unit production. Or missions without fog of war.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

didn't AW1 make the AI cheat in fog of war so it just didn't apply to their AI at all? was that changed in the remaster?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Owl Inspector posted:

didn't AW1 make the AI cheat in fog of war so it just didn't apply to their AI at all? was that changed in the remaster?

Yes. In the remaster the AI needs to have vision of your unit in order to attack, the same way the player does. The fog of war missions are all a bit easier as a result.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vanguard in ME2 was terrible because it was way too easy to get stuck in terrain after a charge. ME3 fixed that though and it was great.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Everspace 2 is generally really fun and really brings back that old Freespace feeling I've been craving.

There's a tiny little thing though. I can't stand when indicators in menus don't go away. Usually this means that I have to go through like the journal to mark everything as read. Luckily Everspace 2 just allows me to hold X to mark everything as read, which is great!

But also there's a perk upgrade system which costs resources, and since I hit the threshold of having enough money (and all the resources) to get that upgrade there's an indicator in the menu that won't go away. Only it's an expensive upgrade and having the 13k credits is more important to me right now than the minor benefit of the upgrade.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

marshmallow creep posted:

I loving loved playing on the highest difficulty with vanguard but its usually after Horizon before it comes online and before that you are made of paper and bubbles. I got use to loading checkpoints.

this. ME2 vanguard is rough early on but once you have more abilities unlocked you start to become unstoppable. you dont become unstoppable until you reach ME3.

Insanity is trivialized by Vanguard in ME3 and Andromeda.

Banshees are the only slight roadblock in ME3 and so long as you roll backwards immediately after a charge they cant instakill you.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Been playing Astlibra because I've reached the depths of Silksong-related despair where I am playing literally anything even slightly Metroidvania to get my fix. It was a soft recommend with the caveat that it gets too horny sometimes. The gameplay is basically fine and even kind of enjoyable and I was having a good enough time with it, thinking that the occasional boobified character designs were as horny as it gets, maybe some dialogue but I found the story tedious and have just been skipping most of it. Well, now all this happened with literally no breaks between in my last hour of play:

- MC and his either mentally deficient or absurdly naive tag-along mage obliviously stay overnight at an obvious love hotel
- Tag-along mage gets afflicted with a magic flu that makes her sexily comatose in the love hotel bed, many sly smiles from the townspeople follow
- In the course of treating said illness, meet some kind of time goddess who is a huge mostly nude woman with jiggle physics. She flat out asks if you find her fuckable
- After saving the mage, stumble on two village girls in a secret lesbian tryst (they were about to be sacrificed and this is how they wanted to go out)
- Enlist the aid of local perverted old craftsman to build something to "help" them. Much winking and nudging is had. A set of white underwear is necessary for this
- Only the local nun (the only non-slut in town, apparently) has pure white underwear, which she gladly whips off right in front of us
- Turns out the old man was building...a wig. To disguise the MC as a girl so we can take the place of the chosen sacrifices. The purpose of the white underwear is waved away
- To complete our disguise, we need women's clothing. Our tag-along mage (who again, seems to be mentally about 4 years old) gives us her robes. She doesn't have a second set so continues on in her underwear
- On returning to the girls, they assume we're there for a lesbian orgy and are immediately down (to repeat, they are minutes away from being brutally sacrificed)

We are then thrust into a boss battle among the grisly mutilated remains of past sacrifices which might have been effective in a Soulsy way but was just disturbing in a much worse way given the lead-up. It's like the creators had a "horny anime" valve in their brain and it could simply no longer be contained at this point. Things seem to have course corrected now but god drat. I generally don't clutch my pearls at anime but it was just getting exhausting. Despite accomplishing our goals, my mage still has not put her clothes back on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sally posted:

Banshees are the only slight roadblock in ME3 and so long as you roll backwards immediately after a charge they cant instakill you.

Except in multiplayer, because lag. :negative:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

John Murdoch posted:

Man I kinda miss ME multi-player. That was a really fun time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I played a shitload of ME multiplayer to unwind after tough days at work. I called it my ME time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

John Murdoch posted:

lmao yahh.... ive been there...

dead...

on the floor...

killed by a banshee oneshot because of lag.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Where The Water Tastes Like Wine is a beautiful experience, but a terrible game

it's hard to get invested in the quest to find the next story when the default walk speed is rear end, the "dash mechanic" only slightly increases it, and the stories that level up are completely random

granted, this is much less of a problem in the early game where you're just wandering and vibing and there's a cool new thing pretty much every two steps, but when you just want to track down the important NPCs and get them done it becomes such a slog

watch a longplay and maybe buy the OST, don't actually play this

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
The Last of Us 2 has a hilariously badly told story. It uses a ton of flashbacks to kinda explain the motivations behind some scenes but it is so inept. I know writing for video games is really tough, things change a lot during development, etc. But emotionally involving your audience is not rocket science. I'm getting real Mike Stoklasa here:
Abby should be the first player character. It could have a cold open like MGS2, showing Jackson and the rift between Joel and Ellie. And then move to Washington, getting to know Abby (without saying who her dad is). Go through the Washington chapters with both characters in sync, not revealing that they're really adversaries. And then go to the big showdown. Instead the story goes back to the beginning about 10 hours into the game and it loving sucks. It's like they came up with the characters and the story beats and hosed up the way to tell it. Bad writing.

It doesn't help that Abby is a really boring, flat character. She's like a charmless Nadine Ross. It's especially weird since Druckmann pulled wrapping up Uncharted really well.

The gameplay is great, though. The fights are tense as poo poo. Stealth is way better than in the first game.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

pillars of eternity 2 is a really good game because i tried to play a priest of woedica and i couldn't be mean enough. i was actually taking combat penalties because i was too nice lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

oldpainless posted:

I played a shitload of ME multiplayer to unwind after tough days at work. I called it my ME time.

Hey how are the kids?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

watch a longplay and maybe buy the OST, don't actually play this
But man, what a great soundtrack.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Vic posted:

Hey how are the kids?

More educated with less buying power than my generation

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

oldpainless posted:

More educated with less buying power than my generation

more like oldhopeless

gently caress. Now I'm sad.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

more like oldhopeless

gently caress. Now I'm sad.

At long last, my posting mission is accomplished and I can lay this alt to rest. Goodbye friends.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Where The Water Tastes Like Wine is a beautiful experience, but a terrible game

I think I said that exact thing here back when I played it. Very cool stories and structure but the "gameplay" is dogshit

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I do not like how the battle network games like to lock at least one, usually garbage, battle chip behind a virus that's extremely obnoxious to S rank, not because it's hard to fight or anything but because it has an incredibly rare appearance rate and only shows up in one or two encounters where an S rank is even possible, and usually requires a very specific approach to do so. Like in 2, where that virus is the Ocotovian, because if you don't enter the fight and luckily draw a screen-wide PA on your first turn it's likely going to take you too long to kill both it and the armored enemy with it within the right time frame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

Been playing Astlibra because I've reached the depths of Silksong-related despair where I am playing literally anything even slightly Metroidvania to get my fix. It was a soft recommend with the caveat that it gets too horny sometimes. The gameplay is basically fine and even kind of enjoyable and I was having a good enough time with it, thinking that the occasional boobified character designs were as horny as it gets, maybe some dialogue but I found the story tedious and have just been skipping most of it. Well, now all this happened with literally no breaks between in my last hour of play:

- MC and his either mentally deficient or absurdly naive tag-along mage obliviously stay overnight at an obvious love hotel
- Tag-along mage gets afflicted with a magic flu that makes her sexily comatose in the love hotel bed, many sly smiles from the townspeople follow
- In the course of treating said illness, meet some kind of time goddess who is a huge mostly nude woman with jiggle physics. She flat out asks if you find her fuckable
- After saving the mage, stumble on two village girls in a secret lesbian tryst (they were about to be sacrificed and this is how they wanted to go out)
- Enlist the aid of local perverted old craftsman to build something to "help" them. Much winking and nudging is had. A set of white underwear is necessary for this
- Only the local nun (the only non-slut in town, apparently) has pure white underwear, which she gladly whips off right in front of us
- Turns out the old man was building...a wig. To disguise the MC as a girl so we can take the place of the chosen sacrifices. The purpose of the white underwear is waved away
- To complete our disguise, we need women's clothing. Our tag-along mage (who again, seems to be mentally about 4 years old) gives us her robes. She doesn't have a second set so continues on in her underwear
- On returning to the girls, they assume we're there for a lesbian orgy and are immediately down (to repeat, they are minutes away from being brutally sacrificed)

We are then thrust into a boss battle among the grisly mutilated remains of past sacrifices which might have been effective in a Soulsy way but was just disturbing in a much worse way given the lead-up. It's like the creators had a "horny anime" valve in their brain and it could simply no longer be contained at this point. Things seem to have course corrected now but god drat. I generally don't clutch my pearls at anime but it was just getting exhausting. Despite accomplishing our goals, my mage still has not put her clothes back on.

what in the sam hill

e: like i bought it after reading the same caveat you did with the same assumptions you had but this isn't horny, this is hornest

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Apr 26, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

fastest turnaround time I've ever experienced on learning that a game existed and wishing that it didn't

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’m just curious how you manage to fit all that in a Metroidvania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Maxwell Lord posted:

I’m just curious how you manage to fit all that in a Metroidvania

Usually between the screens full of enemies. Like, remember how metroid fusion had those rooms where the robot would stop you to talk to you? Imagine if that was an entire anime town and instead of a robot talking to you it was like three anime girls.