Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Morrow posted:

We said the same thing after Beck or Hannity. There will be a new Muppet in the same timeslot spouting the same rhetoric.

It's Jesse Watters' time to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Prism posted:

Always take screenshots. This is gone.

My apologies. I checked multiple sources and it seemed legit so I figured that it would stick around. I'll try to keep screenshotting in mind next time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Did any of the major personalities mention, on air, a mea culpa in reference to Dominion? Could have been part of the settlement and Fox is terminating anyone that doesn’t comply. Pure speculation.

The settlement is not public, but they did confirm that Fox agreed to apologize and take steps to address the problem. Nobody from Fox has issued an on-air apology, but the company did release a press statement saying it regrets the situation and issuing a very mild apology. There's no info on whether staff changes were included, but that would be very unusual for a settlement against the entire organization to require agreeing to immediately fire one specific on-air performer with no correction.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah, I hadn't really thought of it, but I think you're right. Kill the filibuster for two years when they next have a trifecta, then pull the ladder up behind them right before they lose the Senate and dare the decorum-poisoned Democrats to do the same as them. It's the exact same logic as McConnell refusing to hear Garland's appointment to the SCOTUS: sure, the Democrats could pull the same maneuver on us, but they won't, so why shouldn't we do this?

Democrats would definitely kill the filibuster again if Republicans do it first.

Garland was a pretty rare situation in which their primo conservative judge died during an election year, so Democrats are not very likely to have the same situation happen anytime soon.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Why not? Do you believe Democrats would be willing to steal a SCOTUS seat like McConnell or no?

Now, yes. Before Republicans did it, maybe not. There is no reason for them not to considering the now historical precedent and political gain.

small butter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 24, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Tucker's been fired?!

https://abc7ny.com/tucker-carlson-leaving-fox-news-out-leaves-dominion-lawsuit/13180147/

quote:

NEW YORK -- TV host Tucker Carlson and Fox News have "agreed to part ways," Fox said in a statement Monday.

"We thank him for his service to the network," Fox said in a statement, noting that Carlson's last show was on Friday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's probably a combo of things: the text leaks where he calls all his viewers and Trump morons, the fact that while he was the biggest draw on cable news, they couldn't sell ad space to anyone but Mike Lindell, the fact that $787m is a good chunk of revenue for even Fox News, etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

is pepsi ok posted:

I definitely wouldn't frame it as pro choice, but he absolutely has broken from the Republican establishment messaging on abortion, specifically that overturning Roe was a (political) mistake and that from here everything should be left up to the states. The latter got him some blowback from pro-life groups who want to push for a national ban.

It's a smart political move that puts him at odds with the Republican establishment and in line with the majority of Republican voters.

As of this week, that is the official position of Congressional Republicans. So, Trump was ahead of the game and is in sync with the GOP establishment position.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let the door hit your rear end on the way out and knock you into a thresher, Tuck.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wait is Hannity not on Fox?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Apparently so

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1650527867527200769?t=NGwYXh5ee452OcYO1emgeA&s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Tucker's been fired?!

https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1650525755892219905

Sure sounds like he thought he was doing a show tonight.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dick Trauma posted:

My apologies. I checked multiple sources and it seemed legit so I figured that it would stick around. I'll try to keep screenshotting in mind next time.

It is legit, but the original Tweet had a spelling error and looks like he deleted it and reposted it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Morrow posted:

We said the same thing after Beck or Hannity. There will be a new Muppet in the same timeslot spouting the same rhetoric.

Yeah, but that's like saying there's a backup quarterback who has a helmet and pads and throws the ball. It's true, but Fox certainly behaves as though he's a more effective messenger for their their chosen rhetoric than the back benchers.Do you think there's someone else that's going to get the same engagement for white nationalist talking points, who we only hear of less because they don't have the same time slot?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

wait is Hannity not on Fox?

He still is.

He got bumped out of the primetime slot for several years, but was promoted back to 9 pm after Bill O'Reilly got fired.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also lol at Tuck, a non news program host/face being reported by not only NPR's hourly news brief, but other npr show hosts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Laura Ingraham is still on Fox right? Pretty sure she's a barely closeted Nazi. She will probably get Tuckers spot.

I mean, they keep trying to close the closet door but it keeps hitting her outstretched arm.

She was the one that outright sieg heiled Trump during the 2016 election, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, but that's like saying there's a backup quarterback who has a helmet and pads and throws the ball. It's true, but Fox certainly behaves as though he's a more effective messenger for their their chosen rhetoric than the back benchers.Do you think there's someone else that's going to get the same engagement for white nationalist talking points, who we only hear of less because they don't have the same time slot?

I hear they got this guy at their AAA club who is just insanely white nationalist, he's already putting up insane raceWAR numbers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It will be interesting to hear what the entire background behind this was. So far, no other hosts have been penalized by Fox and it is extremely unlikely that Dominion's settlement included a requirement to fire any specific person, let alone just Tucker.

Tucker's producer recently left the show and sued Fox for sexual harassment and discrimination on Tucker. Unclear if that is related, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It's Jesse Watters' time to shine.

Yeah him or Laura Ingraham seem like likely heirs to Tucker's spot. So not a huge improvement, but it's certainly a pleasure to see one more empty seat over there. And he's had such a long history and certainly deserves the dishonor.

It's entirely possible his replacement will be just as good as being bad... But it's also possible they won't. Fingers crossed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I believe this makes Tucker Carlson the only person ever to have a primetime show cancelled on every single national cable news network.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Countdown begins till Tucker’s ‘I’ve been cancelled’ tour.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It will be interesting to hear what the entire background behind this was. So far, no other hosts have been penalized by Fox and it is extremely unlikely that Dominion's settlement included a requirement to fire any specific person, let alone just Tucker.

Tucker's producer recently left the show and sued Fox for sexual harassment and discrimination on Tucker. Unclear if that is related, though.

Everything right now indicates it was extremely abrupt

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1650527565671542784

Can't rule out some additional scandal that we are as yet unaware of.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My current theory is that they pulled him into an emergency meeting and told him to tone it down, and his reaction left them with no other choice. He’s probably used to wielding a lot of backroom power and wasn’t ready for it to be taken away by the settlement

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

zoux posted:

When you cost the boss $787m....

Still, this is stunning, he's far and away the biggest draw on Fox and probably the biggest white nationalist voice in America. There is no bigger platform for him than Fox News, this is going to have a massive positive effect on political discourse in the US.

Won't he just end up going to the other chud channel? ONN? OAN? Whatever the one is for people who think Fox is too left leaning?

Sure, it's not going to bring Fox down in a blaze of glory, but it isn't like Tucker has to go home and live off his "heir to a TV dinner dynasty" money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

My current theory is that they pulled him into an emergency meeting and told him to tone it down, and his reaction left them with no other choice. He’s probably used to wielding a lot of backroom power and wasn’t ready for it to be taken away by the settlement

The biggest offenders in the Dominion suit were Maria Bartiromo, Hannity, and Lou Dobbs. Tucker was just the most successful one, but he actually wasn't the most egregious.

If they don't do anything to Bartiromo, Hannity, or Dobbs, then this was likely not primarily because of the Dominion suit.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

the_steve posted:

Won't he just end up going to the other chud channel? ONN? OAN? Whatever the one is for people who think Fox is too left leaning?

Sure, it's not going to bring Fox down in a blaze of glory, but it isn't like Tucker has to go home and live off his "heir to a TV dinner dynasty" money.

Not sure he's going anywhere with outstanding litigation. Might just do a podcast for a year.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the_steve posted:

He'll get a gig but he's not gonna get 4 million+ viewers a night anywhere else. Probably not going to get paid nearly as much either, which doesn't make any difference to us, but I'm sure he's not happy about it.

zoux posted:

I hear they got this guy at their AAA club who is just insanely white nationalist, he's already putting up insane raceWAR numbers.
lol

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

I believe this makes Tucker Carlson the only person ever to have a primetime show cancelled on every single national cable news network.

Impressive, the EGOT of white supremacy mouthpieceing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

the_steve posted:

We're talking about audiences in the low 100ks at best, he was drawing 3.5m a day on Fox, there is no better place he can go. I'm sorry, you're just going to have to accept that this is unalloyed good.

https://twitter.com/donlemon/status/1650533617636966400

Bad day to be a piece of poo poo cable news anchor, it seems

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I guess we'll see if the time slot is the most important factor in creating an iconic Fox hatemonger. If it could do it for Carlson it can probably work for anyone they stuck in front of the camera at that time.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Didn't Pirro and Bartiromo get shitcanned in the last couple of weeks as well?

Edit:

zoux posted:

Pirro and Bongino.

Ah; my bad.

Aegis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 24, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pirro and Bongino

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1650531186970591232

Post is reporting that him talking all that poo poo that came out in discovery is what did it, but I don't buy that.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Aegis posted:

Yup, slow realization at fox that if they leave garbage out it’s gonna attract raccoons.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Aegis posted:

No. There was a rumor that went around that they had, but it was based on one person's speculation that they might be fired, iirc

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Rumor has it he reacted to his firing with the same dumbfounded open-mouthed gape he has in reaction to everything else.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Pirro and Bongino

Post is reporting that him talking all that poo poo that came out in discovery is what did it, but I don't buy that.

It seems very unlikely that this was the main reason. But, it would be very on brand if Fox fired him not because of the stuff he said on air, but because he was using work email to talk poo poo about his boss and the court case brought it to their attention.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

zoux posted:

Pirro and Bongino

My guess is they're trying to appease shareholders by showing them that they're taking steps to avoid another half-billion settlement in their next suit vs. Smartmatic.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Yiggy posted:

Yup, slow realization at fox that if they leave garbage out it’s gonna attract raccoons.

That's slander. Raccoons can be cute.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

zoux posted:

We're talking about audiences in the low 100ks at best, he was drawing 3.5m a day on Fox, there is no better place he can go. I'm sorry, you're just going to have to accept that this is unalloyed good.

https://twitter.com/donlemon/status/1650533617636966400

Bad day to be a piece of poo poo cable news anchor, it seems

So Twitter being the poo poo show it is these days I can't tell if this is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Oracle posted:

My guess is they're trying to appease shareholders by showing them that they're taking steps to avoid another half-billion settlement in their next suit vs. Smartmatic.

I could buy that if they were canning some of their lower-level talent or dropping a bunch of them all at the same time, but Tucker is their flagship personality and their most-watched show. Even for appeasement of the shareholders, I find it hard to believe they would fire just him.

Granted, there could be more firings on the way, but obviously we're a little starved for info beyond, "Hey, this wild thing just happened."