Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i'm completely on board with the people theorizing that failing a campaign makes diana very angry, so she comes into your house while you're convalescing and takes your toys, to teach you a lesson

Absolutely, I think it's hilarious imagining Diana stomping through the house and just emptying the freelancer tools into a pillow case or a sack or something and tossing it into the lake.

But maybe it's more that as 47's handler, she's also responsible for enrichment exercises to keep him from becoming bored in his perfect Scandinavian house and meticulously filled out weapons walls. So she gives him trophies and tells him to decorate the shelves and put up posters etc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I kind of wish they’d positioned it as “hey, since we’re not ICA anymore, we need to get our tools from third parties. The freelancer tools in the safe house are just representations of those items, which are in actuality collected by 47 from these third parties moments before a mission commenced. If you gently caress up a mission, they all go to ground and you have to regain their trust.”

But it’s just a game. Really should relax.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I demand realism in the game where nobody recognizes the extremely charismatic and fit bald guy who seems to always be around when a famous person dies, even though he never changes his cover identity.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What, you don't constantly run into tall and surprisingly ripped bald white dudes in Japan?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do, but whenever I ask them for a name, they give a deadpan reply about who names are for which leaves me devastated for days :smith:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

What, you don't constantly run into tall and surprisingly ripped bald white dudes in Japan?

It's hard to tell since I have the memory of a goldfish, am too stupid to figure out how to open a dumpster or closet to look inside, and have been smacked in the head with a pipe wrench about half a dozen times.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

KillHour posted:

I demand realism in the game where nobody recognizes the extremely charismatic and fit bald guy who seems to always be around when a famous person dies, even though he never changes his cover identity.
I do appreciate that The Warlord elusive target has its African soldiers all be enforcers for the one white dude running around in their fatigues.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Huh, that sounds like someones firing a gun at the wall right next to me.

Better calmly investigate and tell no one else.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The last time they tried for a semblance of realism was Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, turns out it was just kind of annoying to have guards who aggroed from you being weird around them

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I think the gameplay justification is absolutely valid. The entire point of freelancer is that you don’t have access to all your stuff. If that’s not your thing, featured contracts are right there.

Honestly I think they might have made a mistake, letting you collect and store so much poo poo in your safe house. I love collecting this stuff but letting you keep maybe 10 to 20 items+weapons of your choice maximum on the walls would have made more sense from a gameplay perspective (force improvisation) and dodged the silliness of losing stashed items for arbitrary reasons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Turns out there's a spot you can crouch in the main foyer of Dubai and seiker the ET right at the start of the mission.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ghostlight posted:

As you level up your house you'll also get access to free tools from there, like you can fish off the wharf to get fish you can cut up to get a sedative vial, and find an emetic flower you can also distil into a lethal poison and workstation that lets you put any of them into a syringe.

There's a workstation that lets you turn your poisons into syringes?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Shooting Blanks posted:

There's a workstation that lets you turn your poisons into syringes?

Yes, it's a safehouse upgrade for the medbay in the basement. It turns the emetic mushroom into an emetic syringe. If you turned the emetic mushroom into a vial in the shed (an earlier upgrade), that vial becomes a lethal syringe.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Higher Freelancer levels unlock more stuff in the safehouse, including some pretty useful tools like syringes that you can actually keep in your tool cases.

There's a mushroom in one of a few random locations around the forest area, which acts as an emetic vial and has a weight of three.

Once you unlock entering the shed, there's a chemistry set there where you can then convert it into a lethal poison vial with a weight of zero (not a freelancer tool so you don't actually keep it).

And once you unlock fishing, you can randomly get a fish, which you can then cut open at the cutting board (using either the grape knife on the shed wall or the scalpel from the surgery room) to get a sedative vial with a weight of zero (again, not a freelancer tool).

However, once you have any of these three, you can then take them to the lab unlock in the surgery room and turn them into the modern syringes, which are freelancer tools that you get to keep. So there's three tools right there that you probably never have to pay for

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes, it's a safehouse upgrade for the medbay in the basement. It turns the emetic mushroom into an emetic syringe. If you turned the emetic mushroom into a vial in the shed (an earlier upgrade), that vial becomes a lethal syringe.

Does the syringe count as a "natural" poison for the sake of that challenge?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No, it does not. Fugu poison apparently does not count either. So I saved that challenge for dehydrated/foodie leaders on Santa Fortuna, Haven Island and Whittleton Creek. I have never tried doing the challenge on Ambrose Island, several bad experiences running into the lookouts made me stop saving that map for the showdown missions.

There's another challenge for killing a leader with Lethal Pills, and you need that specific vial for it. Other lethal poison vials don't work.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 24, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I've been slowly working my way through that pills one after knocking off High in Fibre, and the natural poisons one was going to be next after that. The latter at least I think you can do on regular Syndicate Members too?

Edit: No wait, I think that's the Lethal Pills one! :doh:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

KillHour posted:

I once went to a mountain retreat where you spend ten days meditating under a vow of silence and right in front of me sat a dude that was a dead ringer for 47, even had a scar in the back of the head¹. Now, it is not unusual for people to quit in these retreats, but there was a higher than average rate of quitters on this one, including my ride, and I honestly wonder how many of them are quietly rotting in a closet somewhere.

¹Spoke to him during the last day, cool dude, really well travelled BJJ instructor, which I guess is a decent cover identity.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dang, you can learn to do that? Here I thought you had to be a Mario 64 to make it work.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Lollerich posted:

OK, thanks that's very helpful. By loot pool you mean those loot crates? I usually only see "tools" in there but that video two or three posts up showed a gun in a loot crate. So that means if you somehow lose an ornamental weapon you can find it again in one of the crates?

Also, you said "on your person" that is definitely not true though. I lost all the tools in those three cases when I failed a campaign, even the ones I was not carrying. = Nevermind that, my reading comprehension is bad, it's late where I am.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I still don't understand why the developers thought his was a good idea, though. I can only assume that they are hosed in the head, and enjoy offending their players.

It's also worth noting that the 3 options you get at the start of the mission always correspond to the 3 loot boxes on the table. So if you want to maximize your chances of getting a specific item (the emetic poison dart gun in my case), you always pick the loot item that corresponds to that crate and just leave it in there, increasing the probability of getting the thing you actually want.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's also worth noting that the 3 options you get at the start of the mission always correspond to the 3 loot boxes on the table. So if you want to maximize your chances of getting a specific item (the emetic poison dart gun in my case), you always pick the loot item that corresponds to that crate and just leave it in there, increasing the probability of getting the thing you actually want.

I don't understand this - can you rephrase?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

I don't understand this - can you rephrase?

The three crates that hold your tools are three basic categories that correspond to what you get in lootcrates, and when you take something from a lootcrate you won't get it again because crates don't give duplicates. So if you want say, the crowbar, but the current lootcrate didn't give you the crowbar, take whatever the middle option is because that's going to eliminate 1 item from that pool of items that includes the crowbar and increase your chance of getting the crowbar next time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The three tools you're offered after a mission is one tool from the left case, one tool from the middle case, and one tool from the right case. So if you really want a particular left-case item, you can start by taking all the other left-case items until it eventually shows up.

I think that's what they're saying, anyway. No idea if it's true or not but it does seem to match what I remember.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ohhhh, OK, that's interesting. I knew that you couldn't get duplicates and therefore you could play with the pool by taking certain items but not that they matched the crates. That's excellent.

(As someone who just finally took the water canister and left it because that's just not something I use, and wanted to get it out of the pool, that makes sense)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

Ohhhh, OK, that's interesting. I knew that you couldn't get duplicates and therefore you could play with the pool by taking certain items but not that they matched the crates. That's excellent.

(As someone who just finally took the water canister and left it because that's just not something I use, and wanted to get it out of the pool, that makes sense)

This also works for items you find on missions. Doing new york and taking the chloroform bottle that always near the security room by the vault gets you one step closer to the dart guns showing up in a loot crate. Same goes for vendors, alway buy all their cheap items, or at least the items that are in the same crate you are interested in.

To me the dart guns are super useful, so many objectives are about poisoning your target or a guard. The dart guns are the easiest way to do it, and they don't consume the poison while you're doing it, so it's a lot more cost-effective as well. When I lose all my items and I have to start rebuilding, my first few missions I always pick an item from the poison crate and then I leave it in the safehouse, until the game has offered me both dart guns.

Biggest advice to a beginning player would be to think about map selection.
Never pick Colorado
Always pick New York (and rob the bank)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Always pick New York. Just always.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's a wonderful map.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Once more, gotta say that this mode has had me replay and appreciate the maps, especially the maps from 2 and 3, so much more than I would have ever done otherwise. Excellent work IO.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Game crashed at the end of a campaign, while on the way to the exit.

- campaign failed
- money gone
- all the tools I had rebought gone again
- classic Kalmer gone
- my only silenced gun also gone

:discourse:

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Strange. A crash should be like Alt-F4ing, which functions as just flat out resetting the mission. Unlucky that somehow that didn't happen for you.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

kanonvandekempen posted:

This also works for items you find on missions. Doing new york and taking the chloroform bottle that always near the security room by the vault gets you one step closer to the dart guns showing up in a loot crate.

That chloroform never makes it out of the map, because it always goes into the nearby ventilation system where you can put the security room to sleep and get into the vault unmolested

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

404notfound posted:

That chloroform never makes it out of the map, because it always goes into the nearby ventilation system where you can put the security room to sleep and get into the vault unmolested

And if you're on a showdown map, the phone goes in the security room as well and allllll your suspects come to you and go for a nap.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mierenneuker posted:

There's another challenge for killing a leader with Lethal Pills, and you need that specific vial for it. Other lethal poison vials don't work.
Technically, there are two Lethal Poison Pill types that work. There's the 1 point one that is a Freelancer Tool, and the on-map Lethal Poison Pill Jar that has no cost and can't be taken out. A good example of this is that there are lethal pills in the bathroom adjacent to the one where the coked-up banker does lines on New York; this pill jar does count for Pills Here!.

I'm pretty sure "natural" poison refers to Lethal Poison Frogs and possibly Lethal Poison processed from Emetic Poison Flowers, but strangely it doesn't seem to count the one processed from the Emetic Mushroom at the safehouse (unless it does?).

For Way of the Samurai, only two-handed katanas count. This includes the Katana, Masamune, and that one from the DLC pack. The Tanto, while it does count as a Katana Kill for the Prestige Objective, apparently doesn't count for 47 katana kills. I assume they thought the Tanto would make it too easy.

For the one that requires push kills on Syndicate Leaders, they have to be conscious. This differs from the Push Kill objective which explicitly says the target can be dumped while unconscious. I do not know why it's like this, as it's incredibly hard to know in advance whether a leader will be pushable while conscious.

Strelok works with any Druzhina variant, so use the Arctic because it's suppressed. All versions of the Druzhina take an eternity to pack and unpack though, so watch out. Might consider going to Berlin more often when working on this one, as Bikers are guard outfits that can freely carry sniper rifles.

Pretty sure any Fiber Wire-like item works for the one where you have to strangle leaders wearing necklaces. As long as it's a Garrote prompt it should do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

404notfound posted:

There's a second chloroform in the deposit boxes

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Stoked they brought elusive targets back. Was sad I thought I'd never get that winter coat.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That's a new failure! Alerted Hokkaido, one of my targets is in the sauna room you can overheat. No problem! Turn up the heat, lock the door, walk away. Except that locking the door puts you in cutscene where you stare through the door, and time is not paused - had a guard walk in on me while I did that. Oops.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So it turns out you can die in the safehouse! I was running around wildly firing my pistol and I guess I hit one of the explosive ducks in the tools cases and I was close enough… What’s hilarious is IOI haven’t planned for this at all because there’s no exit menu or anything, nor do you wake up again in the sickbay.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The last time I got the bug where I could shoot in the safehouse, I tried blowing up one of the crates from a safe distance. The good news is, the items don't get "lost" (they'll be there when you get back to the safehouse again), but you better have already picked out what you need for your current mission.

You could also just not blow up the safehouse, but where's the adventure in that?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Is it worth playing through Patient Zero? I just realized that with the upgrade to WoA, that content was added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it worth playing through Patient Zero? I just realized that with the upgrade to WoA, that content was added.

it sure is, though if you're used to the hint guided mission stories its a much more "hey, figure it out" approach

and if you make some poor choices on the final mission it can get extremely funny