Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah, a pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Or they polished up one area for the E3 demo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hatty posted:

Yeah, a pandemic

They're a team of three(?) working in Australia, one of the countries least affected by the pandemic. How did covid delay the game for four years?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

this is what Hollow Knight looked like in the first trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSPJXlYjENE

them showing off some snippets of the game does not mean it was anywhere near completion

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

adelaide got the bapanada variant

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah that just isn't normal and speculating about what's happened isn't particularly deranged.

I believe in Silksong

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Yeah this. A ton of people are going to play that game on day one the moment it's available. And if it's anywhere near HK in quality (let alone if it somehow surpasses it) it's going to do insanely well. Doesn't matter how long it takes for it to come out.

And you know with all these studios rushing bug ridden messes out of the door to meet arbitrary deadlines and putting their employees through inhumane crunches, it's nice to see a studio take their time and be committed to delivering a good experience.

It'll be ready when it's ready and it'll probably be one of the best games you've ever played. The people who are actually stressing out about it or think it's going to somehow ruin the game because it misses some hype window for release or whatever should just chill a little bit. It'll be worth the wait.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 24, 2023

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Some data points to consider:

-It usually takes indie devs years to finish porting PC games to console, and often performance is affected in the process.
-One of their playtesters said this year on their Discord that they're really busy with QA.
-TC have already said Silksong is bigger and more complex than the Hollow Knight ("Hollow Knight feels like a tech demo.").
-Hollow Knight received gameplay and performance updates for years.
-Hollow Knight took a short time to complete, but only by TC crunching themselves to the point of depending on other people to bring them food.

This time, they have a playtesting team of size greater than 1, are aiming for simultaneous release on multiple consoles, are likely trying to spare us from repeating the history of Flukenest or the unintentional nail arts in White Palace, and are hopefully taking better care of themselves.

The total radio silence so close to the supposed release date is a little weird but the financial success of this game is guaranteed and we're dealing with a fanbase that will put together a theoretical world map based on nothing but prerelease material and subtle indicators of where areas might blend into one another. They clearly don't see the need to say anything, and I respect them for that.

In conclusion, bafanada.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I suspect Silksong will be full of bugs when it launches. hell, hollow Knight is STILL full of bugs. can't think of a single area where you won't run into one that could end your steel soul run

e: path of pain, maybe. been a while

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Depends whether king/wingmolds count as bugs

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Hollow Knight was enough of a hit that its sequel would still receive a lot of hype if it released 5 years from now. The only thing that could really kill it is if they released a subpar sequel

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

People getting hyped up for no reason every time there's a nintendo treehouse is no longer the worst thing about this thread. That honour now belongs to people writing conspiracy theories about things behind the scenes going horribly awry.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just to be clear, I don't think a game like this with a fan base that dedicated is able to "miss the boat" as Tom put it, I was just pointing out that this is some of the narrative surrounding the game, and the relative radio silence compared to most other releases that are this deep into their development cycle is largely the cause of that. I'm sure team cherry don't give two shits lol.

I'll be buying it sight unseen day one (which I can't say for many games these days) as well as probably gifting it to people too. It's gonna be a smash hit no matter when it comes out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Pretty much every game goes awry during development, sometimes multiple times. The ones that come out well just overcame it successfully.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they just announced silksong fairly early in development because 'playable hornet' was originally supposed to be dlc and were at least upfront about that. the final big hollow knight update was only released in august 2018 and silksong was announced in february 2019 - they're a tiny dev team so it's not hard to figure out it had only been in full time development for around half a year at most then.

they've just handled the marketing pretty weirdly by having long periods of radio silence without really communicating that those would happen. but they also probably have correctly calculated that the game was a big enough hit that people aren't going to stop caring about the sequel just because they didn't say much about it for a while, so putting effort into any sort of updates when they're such a tiny team probably isn't the most productive. they might have originally intended to have it out sometime in 2021 based on the first game's development time frame, but scope creep, not pushing themselves to crunch, etc. are probably what pushed it out.

since it's still supposed to be releasing within the next two months i'm half-expecting a surprise drop in one of the upcoming not-e3 presentations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
People acting like 4 years of dev time is even remotely long, let alone concerningly so. It's gonna be 6 years between breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom, and nintendo probably has more than 3 employees.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mymla posted:

People acting like 4 years of dev time is even remotely long, let alone concerningly so. It's gonna be 6 years between breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom, and nintendo probably has more than 3 employees.

To be fair that one is also an outlier, it's the longest gap between any two Zelda games ever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are they likely to be under any contractual pressures? It seems to me like an indie studio with far more money than they expected to get from their previous title would be in a very good position to survive a long development cycle

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
team cherry are insanely wealthy because they get $5 any time someone says "bapanada"

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bapanada :homebrew:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mymla posted:

We’re coming up on 4 years since 20 minutes of live gameplay showing off multiple zones, npcs, and bosses, with polished graphics, that concluded with the hosts saying solksong was “coming soon”, though. Not 4 years since they first started working. I don’t think anybody who watched that demo at the time came away thinking Silksong was still multiple years out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
due to their strong religious beliefs team cherry have been developing this game while following all Precepts of Zote which has somewhat hampered development time

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Silksong is going to be a lifestyle game that takes the rest of your human lifetime to finish, only to realize that there's a good ending for which you haven't fulfilled the requirements.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Oenis posted:

Silksong is going to be a lifestyle game that takes the rest of your human lifetime to finish, only to realize that there's a good ending for which you haven't fulfilled the requirements.

Life imitates art

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Jinh posted:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

team cherry are insanely wealthy because they get $5 any time someone says "bapanada"

Jinh posted:

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

No Dignity posted:

They're a team of three(?) working in Australia, one of the countries least affected by the pandemic. How did covid delay the game for four years?

Silksong has never been delayed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

Silksong has never been delayed.

In two months it will be :twisted:

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Team Cherry told me they’ll only release Silksong if poster cactus apologizes for being rude.

lih
May 15, 2013

Mymla posted:

it is actually going to be longer between hollow knight & silksong than between botw & totk which is already on the long side for aaa dev cycles

it's understandable enough just they kinda bungled the messaging early on. not that it's actually going to hurt them though

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Think I asked previously but considering hornet was part of the Kickstarter are they just ignoring that goal at this point?

lih
May 15, 2013

when they announced silksong they said that it would be free to all kickstarter backers because it was a replacement for the playable hornet dlc that was originally a kickstarter stretch goal

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh that’s cool, good for them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Let's loving destroy Team Cherry

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh that’s cool, good for them.

hollow knight only had about 2000 backers so it's a drop in the bucket really, the game didn't blow up until well after the kickstarter

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Only made like 60000aud.

Meanwhile another game which explicitly is aping Hollow Knight's style (not that this is a bad thing, I'll happily play Crowsworn) got 1.2 million bucks, which is moderately ironic.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

to be fair team cherry's only previous output was a newgrounds game with a 1/5 rating so skepticism was justified

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cloth DLC when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

to be fair team cherry's only previous output was a newgrounds game with a 1/5 rating so skepticism was justified

how many other dev teams have that kind of record I wonder. "well your first game was poo poo, but then you made a masterpiece that reshaped an entire genre and inspired countless imitators"