Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GlassEye-Boy posted:

CATL just announced what could be a game changer in battery tech at the Shanghai Auto show. Condensed Batteries with 500wh/kg energy density. Potential to pretty much blow solid state batteries out of the water.

https://www.catl.com/en/news/6015.html

quote:

CATL's condensed battery leverages highly conductive biomimetic condensed state electrolytes to construct a micron-level self-adaptive net structure

You know what else was biomimetic and self adaptive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Convince me this isnt Star Trek Multiphasic Field Core bs

quote:

To address the changes of the super high energy density materials resulting from electrochemical reactions, CATL's condensed battery leverages highly conductive biomimetic condensed state electrolytes to construct a micron-level self-adaptive net structure that can adjust the interactive forces among the chains, thus improving the conductive performance of the cells and in turn the efficiency of lithium ion transporting while boosting stability of the microstructure.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I have no idea what that copy means, but it’d be amazing if this were real and could achieve that energy density. Maybe someday we’ll be able to rip the guts out of a totaled car to build an electric light sport aircraft that can handle more than an hour aloft.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The latest Tesla app update, ver 4.20.69 lol right guys, adds trip planning and the ability to send that to the car. The only thing I see that's really missing is the ability to add a stop in the trip.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Loucks posted:

I have no idea what that copy means, but it’d be amazing if this were real and could achieve that energy density. Maybe someday we’ll be able to rip the guts out of a totaled car to build an electric light sport aircraft that can handle more than an hour aloft.

Aircraft batteries will have to be the air frame themselves.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
yea a lot of jargon thrown in there, I spoke with a friend that's in the industry and he believes its a dual chemistry system (whatever that means) and could be pretty epic if they can produce it at scale.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DoLittle posted:

My bad. I assumed they are the same based on the previous comment i.e. the type 2 plug that almost all EVs use in Europe.

Don't forget the pox upon our lands called type 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_3_connector

There is a lot of charging points with empty Scame outlets but providers like EnelX signed contracts with Renault to provide a minimum amount of charging points so it will stay forever, meaning an extra cable to lug around.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Tyro posted:

That sucks. I am also at the dealer with my Volt trying to resolve the fact that it's killing 12v batteries about every week, and the center console screen is dead. Their tech claims there's no draw on the system and the battery is fine (because I've had it on a tender for the last 2 weeks or so).

Is yours a gen2? The HMI unit (module that runs the center screen) is known for failing in GM vehicles; it is not a problem unique to the Volt. It will cost around $1k if the dealer replaces it. But there are places that will send you a new unit already programmed to your VIN for around $400; you just have to swap it out. (https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/replacement-gm-hmi/ is one I've heard of)

As for it killing batteries... Is this the same battery that it keeps discharging? If so I would say the battery is done for, even if any tester says its good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It's a pretty novel chemistry, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same thing as a PFM battery.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

stevewm posted:

Is yours a gen2? The HMI unit (module that runs the center screen) is known for failing in GM vehicles; it is not a problem unique to the Volt. It will cost around $1k if the dealer replaces it. But there are places that will send you a new unit already programmed to your VIN for around $400; you just have to swap it out. (https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/replacement-gm-hmi/ is one I've heard of)

As for it killing batteries... Is this the same battery that it keeps discharging? If so I would say the battery is done for, even if any tester says its good.

2019 gen2.

I replaced the 12v battery twice, this newest one was killed one time only and I recharged it then have kept it on a tender. So I'm hoping it's ok.

Ref the HMI, this one is on a CPO warranty so if these folks can diagnose it correctly I think it'll be a free repair.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well apparently they need to tear it down a bit to find out exactly which one of 2 parts is malfunctioning, but they confirmed something in "the radio" (service writer didn't seem to know Jack about hybrids or EVs) was malfunctioning and it will be covered under the CPO warranty. Bringing it back next week for that. He said one of the 2 possible parts should be a next day order. And he said he hopes it's not the other one, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mattfl posted:

The latest Tesla app update, ver 4.20.69 lol right guys, adds trip planning and the ability to send that to the car. The only thing I see that's really missing is the ability to add a stop in the trip.

** ANDROID AUTO ** :argh:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mattfl posted:

I know you meant "missing from maps" but I needed another excuse to be angry about this.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Oh hey, Ford is sending Lightnings to Norway so that'll be interesting to see how a big dumb truck does in Europe

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Oh hey, Ford is sending Lightnings to Norway so that'll be interesting to see how a big dumb truck does in Europe

Surely even Europeans have to haul crap around. Maybe they don't want to necessarily look like they haul things around as a fashion/political statement, but the actual need to haul stuff market has got to exist. Right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cruft posted:

Surely even Europeans have to haul crap around. Maybe they don't want to necessarily look like they haul things around as a fashion/political statement, but the actual need to haul stuff market has got to exist. Right?

Euros are generally more class stratified between people who do the hauling and people who pay for things to be hauled.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

Ranger sales are rising due to wannabe yankees, thankfully they are too wide so they are usually beat up to poo poo by scratching poles, bollards and walls.
I'm expecting lightings to sell to a less macho subset of that crowd, which isn't a negligible amount.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Speleothing posted:

My cousin married a Norwegian, and there were quite a few Chevy Suburbans from Norway at the wedding. The demands and limits for vehicles aren't the same everywhere in Europe.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Speleothing posted:

Nice! That means Tesla Bjorn Lightning videos!

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Aino Minako posted:

Nice! That means Tesla Bjorn Lightning videos!

I've been wanting to see him drive a Lightning and a Rivian as well. He's goofy as hell but I like him and he's a big part of the reason I bought a Model 3 back in the day.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

sanchez posted:

I've been wanting to see him drive a Lightning and a Rivian as well. He's goofy as hell but I like him and he's a big part of the reason I bought a Model 3 back in the day.

I enjoy road tripping by proxy through his videos, since it’s not practical for me to do so right now. The car camping videos are great too, although he seems to do less of that lately.

I’ll be interested to see what consumption he gets with the Lightning on the usual 1000km challenge route. Guessing… not good.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

cruft posted:

There are quite a few trucks in Norway. However, due to there being no special regulatory loophole for trucks, most work vehicles are vans (which won't fill the cargo area with snow in the winter), and most privately owned hauling devices are trailers (towed behind normal cars).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

Europe, in general, uses vans or box trucks instead of pickups.

FilthyImp posted:

As usual with battery tech, I'll believe it when it's in use commercially.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Huh, TIL about yurp and vans.

Well, it sounds like y'all are about to get a taste of ELECTRIC FREEDOM

E: If no other market exists, I'm sure there are some angsty young men who want to buck the system. They'll find someone to sell the trucks to.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cruft posted:

I haven't verified this, but someone once told me pedestrian deaths went way down when automobiles started taking over, and I believe it. Horses are big, dumb, and prone to panic.

Each time we do something, things improve a little. It's awesome that we want to live in a world where things have improved significantly; that dream is what keeps us striving for further improvements.

Um I remember from some video, there were also basically no rules other than "every man for himself" before automobiles. I think this was the video, and it's very much on a 'cars bad' type of channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFgqNiFi0cw

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Videos are starting to trickle out from Jeep media launch in Spain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ehNlyTF9Y

Feel free to roast my purchase.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cruft posted:

Huh, TIL about yurp and vans.

Well, it sounds like y'all are about to get a taste of ELECTRIC FREEDOM

E: If no other market exists, I'm sure there are some angsty young men who want to buck the system. They'll find someone to sell the trucks to.

Contractor vans are a huge menace on the road in the US and people act like putting Ram guys in them will solve a problem

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

It is smaller than I thought! I thought it was 2008 sized but it seems to more of the size of Mokka.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DoLittle posted:

It is smaller than I thought! I thought it was 2008 sized but it seems to more of the size of Mokka.

It's closer in size to your e208 than a mokka or a 2008.

edit:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Contractor vans are a huge menace on the road in the US and people act like putting Ram guys in them will solve a problem

My dude you haven't experience existential terror until you have been drove by a tradie in a panda van 4x4, going faster on microscopic iced roads than Nasser in Dakar.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 23, 2023

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
My wife and I picked up an Ionic 5 RWD a few days ago. I've only put about 150 miles on it so far, but it is wonderful. My two minor complaints are that it doesn't remember your brake regen settings after you shut off the car and that it doesn't automatically lock when you walk away (even though it unlocks when you approach). Other than that, it's quiet and comfortable and plenty quick for everyday use. Haven't even had to charge it yet. Hoping that between the free Electrify America charging and the free/discounted charging at both of our workplaces, we can get away with not having to install a charger at home.

Between the dealer discount, Hyundai lease cash (I'm going to buy it out immediately), and state rebates, we're getting $12k off the car. The lease acquisition fees and termination fee only work out to about $1k, so definitely worth the hassle.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Congrats on the car! I love seeing the I5s around town. Very cool styling

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It only took 4 years for Tesla to allow controlling the wiper speed from the wheel.

https://twitter.com/laplasz/status/1649179635085725699

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have wiper control on a little switch on the stalk. It works pretty well and is $5~ or so in the build of material.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

I have wiper control on a little switch on the stalk. It works pretty well and is $5~ or so in the build of material.

Have you considered though that this solution is lame and not "thinking outside the box"?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheGoatTrick posted:

Between the dealer discount, Hyundai lease cash (I'm going to buy it out immediately), and state rebates, we're getting $12k off the car. The lease acquisition fees and termination fee only work out to about $1k, so definitely worth the hassle.

Nice! I was holding out for an Ioniq 6 because I like sedans, but its trunk is almost as small as my Fusion Hybrid's, and I'd like more cargo space. I'm going to go back and look at the Ioniq 5 again. Weirdly, it's suddenly more common at dealers here than the EV6.

My local Hyundai dealer now has a "manufacturer discount" on all of their EVs. It's reflected in their listed price, and I'm not sure what exactly that means. The most common one is $3750, which coincidentally is half of the federal EV tax credit (which none of their vehicles qualify for currently). I wonder if it's Hyundai scrambling to stay price-competitive with credit-eligible cars.

Edit: Oh! Another question -- if you use an Android phone, have you tried the Android Auto integration yet? I'm really curious how well it works on the Ioniq 5.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 24, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

I bet your wipers even turn on without the assistance of an 8-GPU neural net

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just came across this link showing EV registrations in California, kind of neat if you want to see what's popular: https://tableau.cnra.ca.gov/t/CNRA_...3AshowVizHome=n

21% market share in Q1 is pretty huge.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Nice! I was holding out for an Ioniq 6 because I like sedans, but its trunk is almost as small as my Fusion Hybrid's, and I'd like more cargo space. I'm going to go back and look at the Ioniq 5 again. Weirdly, it's suddenly more common at dealers here than the EV6.

My local Hyundai dealer now has a "manufacturer discount" on all of their EVs. It's reflected in their listed price, and I'm not sure what exactly that means. The most common one is $3750, which coincidentally is half of the federal EV tax credit (which none of their vehicles qualify for currently). I wonder if it's Hyundai scrambling to stay price-competitive with credit-eligible cars.

That's exactly what they're doing, per the Hyundai salesman I talked to. It's the inflation reduction act in action, attempting to lower the prices of some things.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ehNlyTF9Y

I'm impressed with the Miles/KWh claim of over 4. Better than my Kia Niro EV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TheGoatTrick posted:

My wife and I picked up an Ionic 5 RWD a few days ago. I've only put about 150 miles on it so far, but it is wonderful. My two minor complaints are that it doesn't remember your brake regen settings after you shut off the car and that it doesn't automatically lock when you walk away (even though it unlocks when you approach). Other than that, it's quiet and comfortable and plenty quick for everyday use. Haven't even had to charge it yet. Hoping that between the free Electrify America charging and the free/discounted charging at both of our workplaces, we can get away with not having to install a charger at home.

If it's like my Kia EV and has the 3 driving modes (Eco, Normal, Performance), there's a menu that lets you set the default ReGen for each of these.