Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

SettingSun posted:

It never bothered me in 5, except for maybe with Sancho. 4 opens with Burland and its nearly inscrutable Scottish accents, and then segues into a truly terrible Russian flavored broken English transliteration with Alena.

I debated for a while whether or not to stick to the NES version but I decided to opt for more features and direct control of my party.

The Alena bits bug me because she talks like an effeminate princess in Japanese, which is supposed to be a fun contrast with her kicking down her own bedroom wall whenever she feels like going out for a stroll. Then in the modern English version she just talks like Zangief, which has since carried over to games where she's voiced, like Dragon Quest Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

If y'all don't like "Inward, to battle!" then I don't know what to tell you. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SettingSun posted:

It never bothered me in 5, except for maybe with Sancho. 4 opens with Burland and its nearly inscrutable Scottish accents, and then segues into a truly terrible Russian flavored broken English transliteration with Alena.

I debated for a while whether or not to stick to the NES version but I decided to opt for more features and direct control of my party.

Alena speaks like someone tossed Zangief and the script from Clueless into a blender.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Finally finished Dq6 after 83 hours apparently. Last boss is probably the hardest I have faced.

Third phase is horrendous, having to kill the hands Left then Right before the head, because if you dont the left hand has Kazing, and even then you are hoping the right doesn't zing the left

Picking up Dq7 again now, mixed feelings on the graphics so far (3ds version)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Picking up Dq7 again now, mixed feelings on the graphics so far (3ds version)

Have you played the PS1 original? The notoriously tasteless gaming press of that era was, for once, absolutely correct: it is a hideously ugly game. I've only seen screenshots of the remake, but there's no possible way I'd ever complain about how it looks compared to the original.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it's amazing how bad it is, it's actively uglier than the snes dq6 graphics and the thankfully rare CGI cutscenes are some of the worst

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I do have to admire on some level that while everyone else was hyped about the crappy 3D graphics the new system could put out, Horii and the other DQ guys went “gently caress that poo poo, do you know how many vignettes we can shove in this game with two disks and mediocre 2D sprites???”.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Man I want some DQXII news. I also need to go back and finish XI though. Got to the very end of Act I and put it down for whatever reason.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You have very good video game material ahead of you.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Divinegon is an rear end in a top hat. He's all "I will grant you a wish if you can defeat me." So I fight him and defeat him and he just says "You took 46 turns, that's too long, gently caress you you don't get a wish" and kicked me out.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I bet Goku would enjoy that kind of wish-granting dragon.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Divinegon is an rear end in a top hat. He's all "I will grant you a wish if you can defeat me." So I fight him and defeat him and he just says "You took 46 turns, that's too long, gently caress you you don't get a wish" and kicked me out.

You clearly didn't want that wish hard enough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing DQVI for the first time, is there some trick to Murdaw round two or should I just bite the bullet and grind everybody up from level 13-14 to a higher level, and if so does somebody get like insulatle or something a la DQV.

I managed to beat him form 1 but it took like 20 solid minutes of gameplay and then I got wasted in phase 2 so I basically want to avoid that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Playing DQVI for the first time, is there some trick to Murdaw round two or should I just bite the bullet and grind everybody up from level 13-14 to a higher level, and if so does somebody get like insulatle or something a la DQV.

I managed to beat him form 1 but it took like 20 solid minutes of gameplay and then I got wasted in phase 2 so I basically want to avoid that

What’s your setup? He’s pretty brutal but if you stock up on Amor Seco and give Nevan’s staff to a non-Nevan character for optimal healing that helps a lot. And there’s fire claws for Carver if you never found them in the Keep, and the Frizzle cast helps a lot. Speaking of Carver, Murdaw’s phase 2 dodges Knuckle Sandwich a lot of the time but the first phase hardly ever does, so they shouldn’t take twenty minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

What’s your setup? He’s pretty brutal but if you stock up on Amor Seco and give Nevan’s staff to a non-Nevan character for optimal healing that helps a lot. And there’s fire claws for Carver if you never found them in the Keep, and the Frizzle cast helps a lot. Speaking of Carver, Murdaw’s phase 2 dodges Knuckle Sandwich a lot of the time but the first phase hardly ever does, so they shouldn’t take twenty minutes.

Fire Claw was dealing about 25 damage + 6 on hit with Hero doing another 20 with the Cauterizing (?) sword and nobody else able to do any real damage spells or physical. Seems like hes immune to Sap completely which is why I asked about if I should grind up in case somebody gets something like oomph.

Using Nevans staff is why I was able to stall through phase 1 extremely slowly, so I do have that on hand.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Murdaw shouldn't be immune to Sap? Milly gets Kabuff at 18 but you can't get Oomph or Insulatle right now. Either way it's the hardest fight in the game for quite some time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some bosses in a lot of the DQ games sometimes just resist sap and it's an annoyance to constantly cast it until it sticks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Fire Claw was dealing about 25 damage + 6 on hit with Hero doing another 20 with the Cauterizing (?) sword and nobody else able to do any real damage spells or physical. Seems like hes immune to Sap completely which is why I asked about if I should grind up in case somebody gets something like oomph.

Using Nevans staff is why I was able to stall through phase 1 extremely slowly, so I do have that on hand.

Yeah, Fire Claw isn’t terribly impressive as just a normal attack (at least against him) but that’s what Knuckle Sandwich is for, it’s basically treated as a status ailments in that some enemies occasionally/frequently/always dodge it but I don’t think phase 1 Murdaw can dodge it very much at all and it’s literally the best physical attack in the game as long as you’re not fighting something with high grapple resistance. And also the claw casts Frizzle like I mentioned before which is like 50-60 damage iirc, which is pretty useful. And if you’re not already doing so, putting Nevan/Milly (if she’s holding the staff of Ghent) on Focus On Healing can help since the game just cheats and reacts to the damage taken immediately instead of queuing up superfluous actions.

But yeah, it’s a pretty freaking brutal fight in how much damage he pumps out. I don’t think grinding for skills helps a great deal since Murdaw’s gating off vocations which means you stop learning skills by level up around when you fight him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Judge Tesla posted:

You clearly didn't want that wish hard enough.

Yeah but it still makes him a liar. He didn't say "If you defeat me fast enough" he just said "If you defeat me." And only after losing does he suddenly decide "Nah you know what? You still don't get a wish." Sore loser, imo.

But yeah I think I just need to grind, my party is in the mid 30s.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Barudak posted:

That fight seems unreasonably brutal for how early on it is. Cant remember my specific strategies but it's definitely one of the tougher moments in the game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

Fire claw (casts blazemore when used as an item) and whatever the healmore staff are called are both pretty huge for the fight. You will need to lean heavily on those because yeah, Mudaw is an unreasonable rear end in a top hat of a fight. It's probably not as bad in the remakes but playing the SFC version on a ROM and running into that fight resulted in me just abusing save states relentlessly. IIRC, the fight can quickly become unwinnable if his pattern RNG leans too heavily into AOE damage unless you're leveled a lot and even then you'll burn through resources extremely fast if you're stuck trying to heal from a bunch of constant big aoe damage.

I honestly think he's the hardest fight in the game (prior to the end) simply because you don't have access to class changing yet, so your options are much more limited.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

That fight seems unreasonably brutal for how early on it is. Cant remember my specific strategies but it's definitely one of the tougher moments in the game

This was my exact thought when I first fought him. Beat the first version and thought "ok that wasn't bad, a little tougher than the prior boss I guess" and then the 2nd fight started and I thought it was one I was meant to lose because he went so hard on AOE that I simply couldn't keep up while dealing damage.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
So when I was younger I heard the 'fact' that in the japanese version of the first Dragon Quest game the final boss wasn't the Dragonlord transforming but was just his pet dragon that attacked you and the Dragonlord transforming was an invention of the localization. Can anyone provide me with any reliable source for this or was it just an old internet urban myth?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The healmore staff is the Staff of Ghent

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Drashin posted:

So when I was younger I heard the 'fact' that in the japanese version of the first Dragon Quest game the final boss wasn't the Dragonlord transforming but was just his pet dragon that attacked you and the Dragonlord transforming was an invention of the localization. Can anyone provide me with any reliable source for this or was it just an old internet urban myth?

Never heard that one before, but I know the american manual makes up an origin story for the Dragonlord in which he finds out he has the power to command dragons upon accidentally finding a dragon in a cave and discovering it would obey his orders as a pet dog would so I'd bet the origin of the rumour was someone jumping to conclusions after reading that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Drashin posted:

Myth His dragon form is his true form.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beat Murdaw via complete obliteration due to power leveling and yall telling me tricks with the fire claw to crank out more damage.

If hes not immune to Sap the success rate is stupid low because I tried many times and never got it to connect

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Beat Murdaw via complete obliteration due to power leveling and yall telling me tricks with the fire claw to crank out more damage.

If hes not immune to Sap the success rate is stupid low because I tried many times and never got it to connect

Congrats! Enemies will continue to hit like trucks but you get vocations now, and by extension a way to just poo poo out damage with impunity right back. And I think I mentioned something earlier, but if there’s not an NPC at Alltrades to explain advanced vocation prerequisites (I think there’s one but I can’t quite remember) you should look up a guide to avoid tedious grinding later. Also, would very much recommend going for Paladin for Carver as opposed to Gladiator, his MP isn’t amazing but his stat growths tend to trend from being an archetypical slow as poo poo warrior to a decently fast character eventually, which makes him real good for dropping heals. That’s just me though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I uh, apparently wildly overleveled myself because I couldn't figure out how to beat Demon-at-arms. Apparently he's a lot easier if you talk to yourself before the battle but I didn't know you could do that do welp here we are.

Making carver a paladin, partially due to recommendation and partially cause I want to have my party have at least one person who mastered the advanced vocations

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
He’s still not super easy unless you’re making Hero a sage tbh, Zap is a lot of damage but lol at your MP as a warrior/martial artist.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hes got apparently like 1000 less HP and no longer unlimited MP if you nerf him.

Im really kind of annoyed how every single boss is immune to Sap and yet the game holds oomph out on you until without ultra grinding the <checks notes> first boss who can dispel your buffs.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Replaying DQ11 and Vince just gets away with murdering all those people, huh? For some reason I remember him being a more sympathetic character.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DQVI stuff: Ok Blackmar is weak to Sap which is good cause his gimmick of "yeah I can summon a thing to full heal me before you can react" would otherwise be awful. Instead hes a wimp.

I feel like the devs did not intend for you to get the Hero vocation, because Im in the final dungeon and even with a session of turbo grinding Im not even halfway into the hero's advanced vocation

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It makes you think that for anyone else to take the hero class they have to master four middle classes.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

It sucks especially if you go the Gladiator route that takes forever to master.

I've started Dq7 and I'm really not feeling it so far, the little individual worlds just feel a bit basic and I'm not feeling the big story yet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The hero can get there pretty quickly with Luminary

For anyone else its a post game class

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SettingSun posted:

It makes you think that for anyone else to take the hero class they have to master four middle classes.

Hero for everyone else is intended as a postgame thing at most and even then you're probably not going to unlock it unless you explicitly grind to do so. When I played DQ6 on an emulator, even using max frameskip and a "any battle gives vocation progress" to farm slimes for job progress it was hours of grinding (and like 20 hours or so on the game's clock).

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Replaying DQ11 and Vince just gets away with murdering all those people, huh? For some reason I remember him being a more sympathetic character.

Yep! I remember it being kind of jarring on my first playthrough. He even admits what he's done and the crowd is still cheering him on, it's one of the weirder story beats of the game.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sherbert Hoover posted:

It’s just like real-life pro wrestling.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll be the killjoy and say that nobody died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Yeah, he wasn't killing anyone, just sucking off their fighting essence.