Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I could buy that if they were canning some of their lower-level talent or dropping a bunch of them all at the same time, but Tucker is their flagship personality and their most-watched show. Even for appeasement of the shareholders, I find it hard to believe they would fire just him.

Granted, there could be more firings on the way, but obviously we're a little starved for info beyond, "Hey, this wild thing just happened."

He may just be the first against the wall. Maybe they're hoping a big enough sacrificial lamb (who is also apparently a pain in the rear end to deal with, disrespectful of management and has an inflated sense of his importance to the network) will negate having to clean house on the management side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Charliegrs posted:

So Twitter being the poo poo show it is these days I can't tell if this is real.

It used to be easy you just had to filter by verified accounts to find sources that confirmed it. Now that filter just mainline purestrain libertarian children meming over 8 bucks and is somehow less honest than the unverified ones.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I guess the Don Lemon firing is real I just got a CNN alert for it. So yeah... Big deal I suppose did anyone really like that guy?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Charliegrs posted:

I guess the Don Lemon firing is real I just got a CNN alert for it. So yeah... Big deal I suppose did anyone really like that guy?
No

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so doesnt this also throw Tuck under the the law buses of Dominion and Smartmatic? Tuck is a freelancer that got thrown out of the Fox fort, he'll have to use his swason tv dinner wealth to directly defend himself.(oh and insure himself apparently? media has slander and defamation insurance apparently?)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Charliegrs posted:

Not his female coworkers apparently.

Lemon had the advantage that unhinged on-air personalities have where they sometimes asked wild questions that other people are too professional to do - particularly to people defending American gun laws. But, you had to take those with his weird rants about his cousin getting her hair done and how childish gay men are on the gay dating scene during a segment about a kidnapped 5th grader.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Lemon had the advantage that unhinged on-air personalities have where they sometimes asked wild questions that other people are too professional to do - particularly to people defending American gun laws. But, you had to take those with his weird rants about his cousin getting her hair done and how childish gay men are on the gay dating scene during a segment about a kidnapped 5th grader.
Sounds bad. We should throw a Don Lemon-party to celebrate him getting canned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It's Jesse Watters' time to shine.

It will never be Jesse Watters' time to shine. The man is a human anti-photon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I forgot that Matt Walsh’s Twitter was hacked last week and all his all his DMs were certainly scraped.

Tucker had to have been in there.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1650531186970591232

Post is reporting that him talking all that poo poo that came out in discovery is what did it, but I don't buy that.

i would. what do conservatives hate more than someone being "uppity"?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

I forgot that Matt Walsh’s Twitter was hacked last week and all his all his DMs were certainly scraped.

Tucker had to have been in there.

Don't forget, Walsh also got demonetized from YouTube for misgendering Dylan Mulvaney and has announced that his show will now be exclusive to Daily Wire. He's lost a major chunk of his income.

Also, the hacker has said they had inside help, so Walsh has to wonder who helped out.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its fine, just like all the other regressive young wonderboys. (oh and tuck too) his family or his wife's family have family wealth.

cant do anything about the youtube ego numbers problem. maybe he can ask Musk to do tier 1 support about his birdnumbers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

i would. what do conservatives hate more than someone being "uppity"?

not having all of the money/power. there's so many conservatives who are happy to put up with awful people for the sake of the grift. It feels hard to imagine Fox would get rid of a big cash cow over something petty. On the other hand, maybe they know people will watch the channel regardless if the person telling them what they want to hear constantly looks dumbfounded or not

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

Uhhh there's no chance he's running is there?

do you know how much power and money he'd have to give up to run for president?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1650541110945624076

Ok they must know there is some insane poo poo out there if they're pulling the trigger like this, I can't wait to find out what it is

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Nikki Haley comment.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VideoGameVet posted:

The Nikki Haley comment.

The Nikki Haley comment started the most recent round of scrutiny and trouble at CNN. But, it has been a thing for at least 15 years allegedly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CNN is saying that they did not actually fire Don Lemon. They claim that he had a mandatory meeting with management to discuss changes and his future (sounds like they were going to give the choice of losing his morning show, getting reassigned as a contributor, and making some other unspecified changes or get fired), but he decided to release a statement instead of going to the meeting.

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1650545115897769985

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Oxyclean posted:

not having all of the money/power. there's so many conservatives who are happy to put up with awful people for the sake of the grift. It feels hard to imagine Fox would get rid of a big cash cow over something petty. On the other hand, maybe they know people will watch the channel regardless if the person telling them what they want to hear constantly looks dumbfounded or not
Fascist shitheads will piss and moan for a while, and then go right back to watching Fox News.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CNN is saying that they did not actually fire Don Lemon. They claim that he had a mandatory meeting with management to discuss changes and his future (sounds like they were going to give the choice of losing his morning show, getting reassigned as a contributor, and making some other unspecified changes or get fired), but he decided to release a statement instead of going to the meeting.

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1650545115897769985

My guess, he has something else lined up?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

zoux posted:

Ok they must know there is some insane poo poo out there if they're pulling the trigger like this, I can't wait to find out what it is

Just some light treason.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

zoux posted:

You're doing great at your job, hitting all of your targets, etc. Then one time, just one time, you cause your company to lose $787.5 million, and all of that good you did goes out the window. It really goes to show how loyalty in a job only goes one way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like the "matt Walsh dms were *real* bad" theory myself

Anyway yall are missing the boat here, he will move to Russia Today

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is it maybe possible that a guy who's been saying openly for literal decades now that he thinks 16 year olds are insanely fuckable might be a huge criminal sex creep? The world may never know...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reporting right now is that Tucker had no idea this was coming and was completely blindsided by it this morning, which makes it all the more sweet.

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1650557298039742472

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1650555447340937238

What's great is that we know exactly what the look on his face was!

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 24, 2023

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

zoux posted:

Place your bets, treason or sex pest

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oxyclean posted:

sure, but carlson bad-mouthed his masters. it's not unknown for self-absorbed monsters to torpedo their own interests simply because they weren't shown proper deference.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Zophar posted:

Por que no los dos?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zophar posted:

Why not both?

So it is sounding like there is possibly a lot more damaging stuff against him that Fox is trying to get a head of here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/semaforben/status/1650556406242717697

Abby Grossberg is suing Fox claiming they fired her after forcing her to lie about Dominion and alleging sexual harrassment/discrim at Fox.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Move to Russia Today?
No!
Move to Russia, today!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah him or Laura Ingraham seem like likely heirs to Tucker's spot. So not a huge improvement, but it's certainly a pleasure to see one more empty seat over there. And he's had such a long history and certainly deserves the dishonor.

It's entirely possible his replacement will be just as good as being bad... But it's also possible they won't. Fingers crossed.

I'm sure they will find a Great Replacement for Tucker.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Medicare is considering adding new diabetes and weight loss drugs Ozempic, Mounjaro, and Wegovy to their covered drug list. These drugs were originally for diabetes treatment, but they discovered that they seemed to be the first significantly effective weight loss drug and they have since been used off-label for weight loss. Two of them were eventually approved for weight loss in certain extreme cases in 2022. Using the drugs results in between 15% and 22% reduction in body weight over a year.

Under current law, Medicare does not cover any drugs for weight loss. The makers of the drugs are lobbying to change the law and allow drugs that are being prescribed for weight loss alone to be covered. However, given that the drugs are very new and very expensive, if 10% of Medicare patients who are obese or overweight began taking the drug (the estimated uptake percentage), then it could cost around $27 billion per year. That is equivalent to about 18.5% of all current Medicare drug spending.

In addition to the drug manufacturers themselves, many advocacy groups are pushing for more widespread adoption of the drug for weight loss. Preliminary results from a study that won't be completed until 2024 shows that semaglutide (the active ingredient in all of these drugs) reduces the risk of heart attacks, stroke, and death in overweight and obese patients who have had heart disease and there may be direct medical benefits to taking it for some patients instead of general benefits from reduced obesity. The drug companies, senior groups, and obesity organizations are likely to use the data from the study (once completed and assuming the final results show something similar) to push for Medicare to cover it.

Congress has introduced the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act, which would remove the prohibition on Medicare covering weight loss drugs and therapies, every few years for the last 12 years. It seems like it may have a bigger push behind it this year with the introduction of these new drugs.

However, these drugs alone would dramatically expand the costs of Medicare if they were covered. Because the drugs are so new, significant reductions in price or cost to manufacture aren't likely any time soon. One study estimates that the cost of the drugs would have to be reduced by about 60% before it would be cost-effective for Medicare to cover them.

Archive.is seems to be down, so I can't post the full article text behind the paywall.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1650499923912151043

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 24, 2023

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

zoux posted:

What's great is that we know exactly what the look on his face was!
underrated comment. Might be the painkillers I'm on but made me spit my coffee.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bugsy posted:

I'm sure they will find a Great Replacement for Tucker.

I'm earnestly curious if FOX plans to go even chuddier after the recent round of firings or if they want to pull back.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
What if this is Murdoch plot to somehow pin the Smartmatic case on Tuck-Tuck :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Medicare is considering adding new diabetes and weight loss drugs Ozempic, Mounjaro, and Wegovy to their covered drug list. These drugs were originally for diabetes treatment, but they discovered that they seemed to be the first significantly effective weight loss drug and they have since been used off-label for weight loss. Using the drugs results in between 15% and 22% reduction in body weight over a year.

Under current law, Medicare does not cover any drugs for weight loss. The makers of the drugs are lobbying to change the law and allow drugs that are being prescribed for weight loss alone to be covered. However, given that the drugs are very new and very expensive, if 10% of Medicare patients who are obese or overweight began taking the drug (the estimated uptake percentage), then it could cost around $27 billion per year. That is equivalent to about 18.5% of all current Medicare drug spending.

In addition to the drug manufacturers themselves, many advocacy groups are pushing for more widespread adoption of the drug for weight loss. Preliminary results from a study that won't be completed until 2024 shows that semaglutide (the active ingredient in all of these drugs) reduces the risk of heart attacks, stroke, and death in overweight and obese patients who have had heart disease and there may be direct medical benefits to taking it for some patients instead of general benefits from reduced obesity. The drug companies, senior groups, and obesity organizations are likely to use the data from the study (once completed and assuming the final results show something similar) to push for Medicare to cover it.

Congress has introduced the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act, which would remove the prohibition on Medicare covering weight loss drugs and therapies, every few years for the last 12 years. It seems like it may have a bigger push behind it this year with the introduction of these new drugs.

However, these drugs alone would dramatically expand the costs of Medicare if they were covered. Because the drugs are so new, significant reductions in price or cost to manufacture aren't likely any time soon. One study estimates that the cost of the drugs would have to be reduced by about 60% before it would be cost-effective for Medicare to cover them.

Archive.is seems to be down, so I can't post the full article text behind the paywall.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1650499923912151043

Might still result in an overall cost savings given how harmful obesity is generally.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
We need a topic change.

WARNING, suggestive grave-dancing on pages 76,77, 78...

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Zophar posted:

I think both are very likely. All of the various texts and emails that were dug up during the Dominian hearings, I could see some really problematic communications between Tucker and Russian agents being unearthed. His narratives on the Ukraine war this last year have been literally the same as Russian propaganda channels. I doubt he came up with that all on his own.

Or Fox found Tuckers "mychildsexcrimes.txt" and canned him for that. We may never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Charliegrs posted:

I think both are very likely. All of the various texts and emails that were dug up during the Dominian hearings, I could see some really problematic communications between Tucker and Russian agents being unearthed. His narratives on the Ukraine war this last year have been literally the same as Russian propaganda channels. I doubt he came up with that all on his own.

Or Fox found Tuckers "mychildsexcrimes.txt" and canned him for that. We may never know.

Narratives aside, back during Trump's first election run RT was basically simultaneously posting poo poo that Fox was, sometimes before Fox did stories. I remember one story was basically broke on RT that was something about Hillary that probably came from Republican party operatives and then Fox had an article with all the relevant details up like five minutes later with details no other outlet I could find had.

They've been in cahoots for awhile even outside of Tucker. Ditto for the Hunter Biden laptop stuff, which was transparently being sourced out of Russia at at least one point.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 24, 2023