Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m putting on a movie for my toddler for the weekend and browsing Disney+. I scroll right past Zootropolis, and think “yeah we should watch Zootopia, not this mini series show. I’m browsing the categories because I’m lazy. I keep on seeing the Zootroplis show, but not Zootopia.

Eventually I stop being lazy and go to the search. I search and find Zootopia+. So then I finally see that they renamed Zootpia? The movie info screen has the new logo and summary of the movie, but the logo in the movie was Zootopia still. Did they rename the movie at some point? Or did I somehow get another region’s title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You got another region's title somehow. As far as I can tell it's called Zootropolis in pretty much everywhere but America.

Maybe you got another region's Zootopia alltogether too because one of the newscasters is a different animal depending on the region

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's called "zootropolis" in regions where "zootopia" was already trademarked, except in germany where "zootropolis" was also already trademarked, so it's called "zoomania" there

it wasn't a very original idea for a title

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zootopia+ is the one that's the series I think, too

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I’ve always had our account in America. No VPN or anything. I was wondering if they did a rebranding or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel the same way every time I see California Man instead of Encino Man.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I feel the same way every time I see California Man instead of Encino Man.
Just be glad you're not in a country where it's Florida Man

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Thr super mario movie is a wonderful lighthearted romp that was whimsical, sincere and really was fun all the way through, they absolutely did it justice and the rotten tomato critics are a bunch of joyless tramps, this is a really nice movie absolutely worth watching!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Robindaybird posted:

It is sad, but better a show goes out on a high note than to drag on and on until it becomes a zombie of itself, shambling as a hollow version of itself.

What would be nice if they allow shows to end on the showrunner's terms.

The Archer effect

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://twitter.com/Aiden1291/status/1649936271186313216

That we could have had Toadsworth, Toadette, and Captain Toad in this(granted regular Toad fulfills that role), but didn't upsets me greatly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The pipe being a shrine instead of just tacked on to 1910s infrastructure would have been nice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I liked the pipe just being this weird big pipe tucked away amongst all the normal pipes. The concept art of the shrine looks good, but for me, this pipe to be just kind of tucked away in plain sight amongst all the other normal pipes works better

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Thr super mario movie is a wonderful lighthearted romp that was whimsical, sincere and really was fun all the way through, they absolutely did it justice and the rotten tomato critics are a bunch of joyless tramps, this is a really nice movie absolutely worth watching!

Just got back from it with my 6 year old, and agreed on all counts.

Im actually really down with the canon that kart racing is central to kong culture more than then anyone else.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
That concept art has a cartoony-styled poster of the Beastie Boys in Mario's room

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I have viewed the Mario movie and can now continue regular consumption of this thread.

I really liked it, though the critics reaction meant my expectations started pretty low. It delivered on the premise of "everything from the games, but very pretty".

I can understand why critics didn't love it, especially without reverence for the source material. I have less understanding of this reaction that popped up in my Twitter timeline before I saw it and was thus living in my head:

A random twitter user I will not call out by name posted:

the cutscenes in mario odyssey made me so happy and this movie made me feel a dark pit in my stomach from start to finish. it has a bad heart
I can't abide people saying the movie lacked "heart", it was clear the animators put their whole rear end into this one.

People rightfully acknowledge the plot was paper-thin but so is every single Mario game (Paper Mario ironically notwithstanding). The sum total plot of the Odyssey cutscenes is "Bowser's airship is moving east and Mario is jumping on rabbits".

If anything, the movie takes Odyssey's plot and fixes the worst thing about it, Peach being a defenseless kidnapped damsel once again in TYOOL 2017. Having the lone female character fight back against her would-be kidnapper (or god forbid, not get kidnapped at all) seems like the bare minimum for a kids movie but it's a bar Nintendo still couldn't clear with the game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

I liked the pipe just being this weird big pipe tucked away amongst all the normal pipes. The concept art of the shrine looks good, but for me, this pipe to be just kind of tucked away in plain sight amongst all the other normal pipes works better

Yeah, that concept art is gorgeous, but I think they made the right choice just having the pipe be "there" instead of in a shrine. I feel like that makes it feel even more fantastical and magical, like it just appeared one day and no one even noticed because it showed up in a place pipes are supposed to be.

Edit:

Luigi's mansion is right there, I feel like Illumination is as eager to make that movie as I am to see it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, that concept art is gorgeous, but I think they made the right choice just having the pipe be "there" instead of in a shrine. I feel like that makes it feel even more fantastical and magical, like it just appeared one day and no one even noticed because it showed up in a place pipes are supposed to be.

Yeah it gives an, and I don't know of a better way to put it, SCP feeling that I really dig that the shrine wouldn't.

quote:

[Edit:

Luigi's mansion is right there, I feel like Illumination is as eager to make that movie as I am to see it.

I feel like outside of a Mario sequel, DK and Luigi's Mansion is what Illumination is going to do next (aside from their own movies). I do really hope they are MOVIES and not shows. I'm sick of spinoff shows. I don't want to watch multiple episodes of a show, I want to watch one movie. I'm not really excited for the Knuckles show for this exact reason.

Also King Boo should be voiced by Alex Brightman

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Macaluso posted:

Yeah it gives an, and I don't know of a better way to put it, SCP feeling that I really dig that the shrine wouldn't.

I feel like outside of a Mario sequel, DK and Luigi's Mansion is what Illumination is going to do next (aside from their own movies). I do really hope they are MOVIES and not shows. I'm sick of spinoff shows. I don't want to watch multiple episodes of a show, I want to watch one movie. I'm not really excited for the Knuckles show for this exact reason.

Also King Boo should be voiced by Alex Brightman

Honestly, I almost rather we'd get these than try to shoehorn every single Nintendo franchise into an Illumination movie. We don't need a Nintendo cinematic universe, we don't need a Zelda movie (we definitely don't need one by Dreamworks), but Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country would be great spotlights on characters and settings that Illumination clearly enjoyed working on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Bee posted:

Honestly, I almost rather we'd get these than try to shoehorn every single Nintendo franchise into an Illumination movie. We don't need a Nintendo cinematic universe, we don't need a Zelda movie (we definitely don't need one by Dreamworks), but Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country would be great spotlights on characters and settings that Illumination clearly enjoyed working on.
How about Duck Hunt by Wes Anderson?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Urban champion by Christopher Nolan

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ang Lee's Kung Fu

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Ridley Scott's Metroid

James Cameron's Metroid II

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Ridley Scott's Metroid

James Cameron's Metroids

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Steven Spielberg presents: Return to Castle Wolfenstein

e: not a Nintendo game but I'm sticking to it

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
PUNCH OUT: A SPIKE LEE JOINT

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The Coen Brothers'
Wario Ware

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't like the rabbids, but if they're inevitable, get Joe Dante.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Fantastic Mr. Star Fox by Wes Anderson

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I decided to make this my first ever 4D movie because it seemed suitably stupid enough for the experience. The Mario vs. Donkey Kong fight almost killed me.

The movie was alright. At times the veil wears off and it looks very much like a theme park ad that surprisingly ends with a 2nd 9/11 but I had fun!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Crazy Ferret posted:

Fantastic Mr. Star Fox by Wes Anderson

College Humor made a short video for that like 12 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OGAs8FGzx4

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

HJE-Cobra posted:

College Humor made a short video for that like 12 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OGAs8FGzx4

Well, look at that. What a strange world.

Edit: VVV, well it is College Humor after all. The puppets seem pretty good tho.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 24, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wow that somehow managed to find the one way to make that concept not be funny.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
David Lynch's "Q*Bert." Martin Scorsese's "Wario Brothers." Frederico Fellini's "Donkey Kong Jr."

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sergio Leone’s Wild Gunman

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Oliver Stone’s Golf.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
those Smash Bros initiative jokes seem more and more inevitable by the 100 million

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

those Smash Bros initiative jokes seem more and more inevitable by the 100 million

Funny thing is, you COULD make it work. Just have it that they were all snatched from their respective universes and brought in to the island from Brawl(which I'm pretty sure is what actually happened anyway). Aside that, it's expected to crack $1 billion this week right? And it's not opened in Japan yet or did it open this week?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

doomrider7 posted:

. Just have it that they were all snatched from their respective universes and brought in to the island from Brawl(which I'm pretty sure is what actually happened anyway).

Nah, the basic premise of Smash is that they're all toys, that's why they all start out as and revert to figurines. The master hand is the kid's hand, their battles are the kid smashing their toys together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIwWCioBpEM

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MikeJF posted:

Nah, the basic premise of Smash is that they're all toys, that's why they all start out as and revert to figurines. The master hand is the kid's hand, their battles are the kid smashing their toys together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIwWCioBpEM

Was gonna go with that one, but wouldn't work as well as the Brawl one. It might still work since it worked for Lego Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's still the premise of Brawl, there's just an extra layer of play there generating the story. Tabuu is the taboo of playing with toys as you grow. But the characters are still gathered there because they're toys, we still see Mario and Kirby (I think?) pop out of toy form at the start of Subspace Emissary to fight.

But yeah they can pretty easily do a 'they've been kidnapped from across the multiverse in a manner suspiciously similar to marvel battleworld!' story.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 25, 2023