Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's no Reason for China to get involved unless NATO joins in directly.

There's still plenty of room for Russia to escalate, even if there's some volunteer battalions starting to appear from eastern parts of EU.

The Russians will be complaining about how they're all alone and nobody loves them, but it shouldn't be enough to stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

tbh mrs flake is right. The two of them get to live upper middle class pmc life and FF gets to read goofy french articles about how the SS would have won at dien bien phu

Yeah. I've been off reddit for months now and deleted twitter, so this is all that's left. Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media is squeaky clean, just photos at the sugar shack and pumpkin patch, season dependant.

I hate to say that she's right, because I'm well within the letter of the law, but these days you have to Slava heroyam or Slava home.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
cannot believe how close dragon fly is to bat in the poll

absolute stupid fucks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I hate to say that she's right, because I'm well within the letter of the law, but these days you have to Slava heroyam or Slava home.
The letter of the law only extends as far as the society around you allows it to, and that can change at any time.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Regarde Aduck posted:

cannot believe how close dragon fly is to bat in the poll

absolute stupid fucks

dragon fly evolves into a cool dragon, bat just gets a bigger mouth

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WRT artillery since the Napoleonic Wars, in the first year of the ACW neither side had enough guns or artillery officers for it to be concentrated and directed effectively on the battlefield. In the Eastern Theatre, it didn't make much of a mark at Bull Run and was largely absent in the battles in West Virginia. That was even more true in the Western Theatre where there were a handful of artillery batteries of US Army regulars, mostly old smoothbore guns, and they weren't used to much effect.

I have no idea how CWSAC works, but

for example there were only 4 (understrength, equipped with light smoothbore guns) batteries of Union Artillery at Rich Mountain, 2 batteries and a company (?) at Wilson's Creek, 2 batteries and one detached troop of 2 guns at Carnifex Ferry, 4 batteries at Ball's Bluff, of which 2 were militia, no artillery at Chustenahlah.

Eventually, that would change, but it took a long time for either side to equip and organize enough artillery units to decisively shape the battle, as the Federal artillery later would at Picketts charge, for example.

e: I've read, though I will leave it to one of you Yanks to explain it, that the politics of antebellum West Point had a lot to do with this. I think the other arms had better peacetime career outcomes in the years leading up to the Civil War, so there were already comparatively few artillery officers. Then, whatever % of the peacetime officer corps and West Point cadets immediately defected to the CSA.

Finally, while the south inherited basically no industry that could make modern guns, in the 1850s large amounts of artillery pieces were diverted to southern arsenals by southern officers in what may or may not have been a conspiracy. As a result, the Union started with less guns than it needed but was able to make more, and the south started with more than it needed but could not. The CSA was able to purchase British artillery pieces, until they destroyed the cotton harvest to blackmail Britain and France into entering the war (???) and subsequently had a hard time buying anything.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Apr 24, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Eventually, that would change, but it took a long time for either side to equip and organize enough artillery units to decisively shape the battle, as the Federal artillery later would at Picketts charge, for example.

Lee already had his rear end handed to him with massed artillery at Malvern Hill but somehow thought Pickett's Charge would work under worse circumstances

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

There's no Reason for China to get involved unless NATO joins in directly.

There's still plenty of room for Russia to escalate, even if there's some volunteer battalions starting to appear from eastern parts of EU.

The Russians will be complaining about how they're all alone and nobody loves them, but it shouldn't be enough to stop them.

I think the calculus for Chinese involvement will be as a counterweight to American/QUAD pressures in Taiwan and the South China Sea. The longer this conflict goes on, the more China can leverage this war as a pressure point. a strike in moscow may or may not cause them to react, but it could be enough of a political cover to do so if they choose to

rip the euros, they are caught in the middle and there’s no real winning move for them since they can’t determine us or Chinese policy, both of which ultimately affect them the most

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lee already had his rear end handed to him with massed artillery at Malvern Hill but somehow thought Pickett's Charge would work under worse circumstances

I'm still confused about what the plan was at Franklin. The flower of the southern planter class really thought they could outrun double canister I guess.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

IMO China would be wise to stay as far away from this conflict as possible and then swoop in to play peacemaker and set itself up as mediator between Russia and Europe. That way, if the US starts ratcheting up pressure on Taiwan they can glower scarily at Europe and maybe they'll stay home.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Megamissen posted:

dragon fly evolves into a cool dragon, bat just gets a bigger mouth

this is troubling

what else has been kept from me

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

this is troubling

what else has been kept from me

this mfer doesnt play pokemon

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

IMO China would be wise to stay as far away from this conflict as possible and then swoop in to play peacemaker and set itself up as mediator between Russia and Europe. That way, if the US starts ratcheting up pressure on Taiwan they can glower scarily at Europe and maybe they'll stay home.

also very plausible. striking moscow is basically extremely stupid and reckless, there’s too much uncertainty and could backfire spectacularly; the fact that the US is often in the dark on what Ukraine has planned is kind of terrifying for the world at large

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dixon Chisholm posted:

watched a friend play the most recent pokemon and was super grossed out about the biomechanical abomination motorcycle the kid was riding around

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

HOI2 is still a better game than 3 or 4

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

dk2m posted:

also very plausible. striking moscow is basically extremely stupid and reckless, there’s too much uncertainty and could backfire spectacularly; the fact that the US is often in the dark on what Ukraine has planned is kind of terrifying for the world at large

US/EU has their hand in the pickle jar regarding Ukraine and China. they desperately want to increase tension with China and get on a war footing but neoliberalism has made it impossible to have two wars running; one is already too hard

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This is what happens when you hitch your wagon to a bunch of nazis that want to achieve national purity through a crucible of fire and death.

Everyone knew this was going to happen, so just gonna have to suck it up and deal with the consequences.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dixon Chisholm posted:

they literally don't teach any of this at bat school

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

dk2m posted:

I think the calculus for Chinese involvement will be as a counterweight to American/QUAD pressures in Taiwan and the South China Sea. The longer this conflict goes on, the more China can leverage this war as a pressure point. a strike in moscow may or may not cause them to react, but it could be enough of a political cover to do so if they choose to

rip the euros, they are caught in the middle and there’s no real winning move for them since they can’t determine us or Chinese policy, both of which ultimately affect them the most

Still not clear to me what that would do or who would be pressured. Discounting Ukraine it'd be the euros and what would pressuring them do?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

genericnick posted:

Still not clear to me what that would do or who would be pressured. Discounting Ukraine it'd be the euros and what would pressuring them do?

keep them weak and subservient

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

they literally don't teach any of this at bat school

devry rear end bat school

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

This is what happens when you hitch your wagon to a bunch of nazis that want to achieve national purity through a crucible of fire and death.

Everyone knew this was going to happen, so just gonna have to suck it up and deal with the consequences.

hold on, the way you are describing this it sounds like the nazis are bad? I'm very educated in history and foreign policy thanks to watching two or three different cable news channels and you are really confusing me

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

confirmed: fox news are banderites

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1650539164440444930?s=20

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i wonder if the Gundam: One Year War mod for hoi4 ever got more updates

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

all of what glenn's saying is true, whether or not tucker actually believed it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

WRT artillery since the Napoleonic Wars, in the first year of the ACW neither side had enough guns or artillery officers for it to be concentrated and directed effectively on the battlefield. In the Eastern Theatre, it didn't make much of a mark at Bull Run and was largely absent in the battles in West Virginia. That was even more true in the Western Theatre where there were a handful of artillery batteries of US Army regulars, mostly old smoothbore guns, and they weren't used to much effect.

I have no idea how CWSAC works, but

for example there were only 4 (understrength, equipped with light smoothbore guns) batteries of Union Artillery at Rich Mountain, 2 batteries and a company (?) at Wilson's Creek, 2 batteries and one detached troop of 2 guns at Carnifex Ferry, 4 batteries at Ball's Bluff, of which 2 were militia, no artillery at Chustenahlah.

e: I've read, though I will leave it to one of you Yanks to explain it, that the politics of antebellum West Point had a lot to do with this. I think the other arms had better peacetime career outcomes in the years leading up to the Civil War, so there were already comparatively few artillery officers. Then, whatever % of the peacetime officer corps and West Point cadets immediately defected to the CSA.

Finally, while the south inherited basically no industry that could make modern guns, in the 1850s large amounts of artillery pieces were diverted to southern arsenals by southern officers in what may or may not have been a conspiracy. As a result, the Union started with less guns than it needed but was able to make more, and the south started with more than it needed but could not. The CSA was able to purchase British artillery pieces, until they destroyed the cotton harvest to blackmail Britain and France into entering the war (???) and subsequently had a hard time buying anything.

The relative lack of decisiveness I base so far on the Hess infantry book you recommended (haven't gotten to the volume on artillery yet, assume that will introduce a bunch more nuance).

His quick summary in that book on the artillery's overall effectiveness was that it was better on defence than offence because most pieces were too heavy to make effective mobile weapons, but despite their theoretical weight of shot the design of fuses and shells was still too primitive to make them decisive at long range.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

genericnick posted:

Europe is not at all self sufficient. they depend on the US and china equally. China knows this and can pressure Europe via Russia, as they’re doing already by economically integrating with Russia and supplying Russia with materials like chips they lost access to from the west.

The more overt this support becomes, the more China forces Europes hand to confront the policies set by the US; Macon even mentioned that europe should not “blindly” follow us policy. China, and by extension their vision of the SCO and BRICS, is becoming a parallel economy altogether, with bilateral currency swaps, it’s own indepdent bank (the New Development Bank) and huge infrastructure investments.

Europe has no real sovereignty and blew up their industrial prowess by making the cost structure of their economy quite difficult - paying western living standard wages and still having extremely high raw material inputs from expensive energy is the worst of all worlds. they cannot walk away from the increasingly Chinese led order, and so they are stuck between the US insistence on its rivalry and Chinese economic leverage over Europe

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ArmZ posted:

confirmed: fox news are banderites

Tying up loose ends

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wonder what the "Tucker Carlson in Russian" guy will do now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

The relative lack of decisiveness I base so far on the Hess infantry book you recommended (haven't gotten to the volume on artillery yet, assume that will introduce a bunch more nuance).

His quick summary in that book on the artillery's overall effectiveness was that it was better on defence than offence because most pieces were too heavy to make effective mobile weapons, but despite their theoretical weight of shot the design of fuses and shells was still too primitive to make them decisive at long range.

The 1841 artillery pieces had pretty cumbersome carriages, I can see that being a factor, for sure.

The other, since you jogged my memory, is that training horse artillery is really loving hard. The US could barely train enough horses and cavalrymen for the cavalry, which was small throughout the war. In light of that, teams of high quality horses that could tow guns at the gallop were not within their means, nor could they train farm boys and factory workers to ride them into action. Most artillerymen walked or rode on the limbers as field artillerymen.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Apr 24, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Popy posted:

i wonder if the Gundam: One Year War mod for hoi4 ever got more updates

people that make gundam mods for games are the most flakey rear end modders there are

so i'm guessing it did not

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Base HoI2, Darkest Hour, or Arsenal of Democracy?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
darkest hour really helped bridge the hoi2 to hoi4 gap

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Godlessdonut posted:

Base HoI2, Darkest Hour, or Arsenal of Democracy?

i read darkest hour and darkest dungeon, and now im gonna mod dd to be about pure aryan ukrainians freeing the land from orks, vatniks, nonwhites...

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

Wonder what the "Tucker Carlson in Russian" guy will do now.

TC is probably just gonna make a podcast

dk2m
May 6, 2009

tazjin posted:

TC is probably just gonna make a podcast

https://twitter.com/kylewalter_/status/1650553967917641746?s=46

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
probably im bad at the game but artillery is garbage in ultimate general civil war unless you get in canister range and stay there without the computer being able to shoot back

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dixon Chisholm posted:

i read darkest hour and darkest dungeon, and now im gonna mod dd to be about pure aryan ukrainians freeing the land from orks, vatniks, nonwhites...

"At last, wholesome Russian life can flourish -- if indeed there is such a thing."

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

dk2m posted:

Europe is not at all self sufficient. they depend on the US and china equally. China knows this and can pressure Europe via Russia, as they’re doing already by economically integrating with Russia and supplying Russia with materials like chips they lost access to from the west.

The more overt this support becomes, the more China forces Europes hand to confront the policies set by the US; Macon even mentioned that europe should not “blindly” follow us policy. China, and by extension their vision of the SCO and BRICS, is becoming a parallel economy altogether, with bilateral currency swaps, it’s own indepdent bank (the New Development Bank) and huge infrastructure investments.

Europe has no real sovereignty and blew up their industrial prowess by making the cost structure of their economy quite difficult - paying western living standard wages and still having extremely high raw material inputs from expensive energy is the worst of all worlds. they cannot walk away from the increasingly Chinese led order, and so they are stuck between the US insistence on its rivalry and Chinese economic leverage over Europe

America has troops in Europe. The ruling class will side with the US to the detriment of their citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Don't forget the filthy, domineering, gutless Poles, whose eradication will free Ukraine from their pestilent influence forever