Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Farg posted:

tg had a guy that was so incapable of understanding how someone could have fun playing a ttrpg because he exclusively played with insane people. it got so bad that it took over any topic whenever he would show up so people made a discord for the purpose of running games with him to try to fix him. anyways he was later banned from the discord people made for him because he scraped the server logs to build a graph of which posters got the most engagement on their posts in order to prove some sort of Point. also the server admin stepped down because they kept getting really drunk and posting insanely aggro poo poo at people at like 3am.

Endorph posted:

what is with these forums and turning fixing some random insane guy into a community project instead of just banning him

I would like to be against this, but I'd also like to be allowed to post. I think this ends up working a lot, but we hear about the failures more then the successes. A lot of goons will get corrected once and go "Oh thanks," other goons are projects, and the forums has serious "I can't quit you" energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Farg posted:

tg had a guy that was so incapable of understanding how someone could have fun playing a ttrpg because he exclusively played with insane people. it got so bad that it took over any topic whenever he would show up so people made a discord for the purpose of running games with him to try to fix him. anyways he was later banned from the discord people made for him because he scraped the server logs to build a graph of which posters got the most engagement on their posts in order to prove some sort of Point. also the server admin stepped down because they kept getting really drunk and posting insanely aggro poo poo at people at like 3am.

omg I remember this guy but I can't remember his name but I know exactly who you're talking about

Nuns with Guns posted:

He still does this.

:psyduck:

why is he still here, lmao, jesus

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have a fully painted Warhammer army now thanks to the pandemic free time. I've had way more lovely experiences with people who play GW games than I have mtg or fighting games by a wide margin. Actually thinking on it, I've had as many good experiences with Warhammer games as I've had bad experiences with mtg or the FGC.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

what is with these forums and turning fixing some random insane guy into a community project instead of just banning him

This is getting into... I don't know if it's even SAD territory, and I don't have any insight into the modding actions around that guy, but I guess it's general "when is someone too much to deal with?" debates that happen when someone's not an explicit creep or racist you can point to as a problem. And heck even then obviously that sometimes takes forever, jesus. People have asked about banning him before, but the problem is that he's completely unable to understand healthy social group dynamics and usually it becomes a problem when he starts trying to give advice or catastrophizes about the failings of a game that are more of issues with his personal neuroses. Outside of that it's not like his long-winded writing rises above anything a lot of other regulars write. It's like asking why Games still tolerates Barudak even though he's clearly a video game dumbass, basically.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

:psyduck:

why is he still here, lmao, jesus

It's happened less often, I guess. Maybe it could use more mod action to like, step in the minute it gets obvious, I don't know. The discord stuff hasn't been mentioned so explicitly before and that's pretty loving weird tbh.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
sometimes you just gotta watch and wait

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

People have asked about banning him before, but the problem is that he's completely unable to understand healthy social group dynamics and usually it becomes a problem when he starts trying to give advice or catastrophizes about the failings of a game that are more of issues with his personal neuroses
that sounds banworthy tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people have asked about banning him before, but the problem is that there's really good reasons to ban him

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Maybe there's too many reasons and they're only allowed to pick one?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Cthulu Carl posted:

Maybe there's too many reasons and they're only allowed to pick one?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-10-2017/d1Huh7.mp4

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

I play 5th edition sometimes :sicko:

same, its quick and easy to throw an adventure or character together for a one-shot and since thats all my friends and i have the time to get together for its perfect

these edition battles or "playing the game the wrong way/wrong game entirely" arguments are purestrain aids and thats why i avoid TG

(also love the new av boba)

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
for the uninitiated imagine you're in like the....bagel thread in the cooking forum. and then someone comes in and is all "bagels are good in theory but functionally its ruined because the other people at the table will just try to slap the bagel out of your hand when you try to pick it up" and then is completely caught off guard and very suspicious when people try to explain that thats not a bagel thing, he just is sitting at a table with crazy people. after 20 pages of discussion he finally says he understands and confidently state "some people are capable of eating bagels and some just can't."

rox
Sep 7, 2016

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Farg posted:

for the uninitiated imagine you're in like the....bagel thread in the cooking forum. and then someone comes in and is all "bagels are good in theory but functionally its ruined because the other people at the table will just try to slap the bagel out of your hand when you try to pick it up" and then is completely caught off guard and very suspicious when people try to explain that thats not a bagel thing, he just is sitting at a table with crazy people. after 20 pages of discussion he finally says he understands and confidently state "some people are capable of eating bagels and some just can't."
if the guys so consistently unpleasant that he got kicked out of the discord meant for him specifically to have fun and constantly misunderstands social cues have any of you guys ever considered that hes a completely unreliable narrator and that hes probably the problem in his experiences

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We have to wait until the weird tg guy starts playing board games at strip clubs, and then he can be banned in 3 more years.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Endorph posted:

if the guys so consistently unpleasant that he got kicked out of the discord meant for him specifically to have fun and constantly misunderstands social cues have any of you guys ever considered that hes a completely unreliable narrator and that hes probably the problem in his experiences

yeah probably. i am not invested in the quality of posting of the traditional games forum personally however so idk

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Forums Pets are the worst poo poo ever and shouldn't be tolerated at all.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Joey McChrist posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

that sounds banworthy tho

I don't mind asking the TG mods wtf is going on there because I agree it's been off and on disruptive for a long while. I'm not trying to defend him or the modding action around him. I just don't know how to address individual user problems because it feels too personal to take to SAD or a feedback thread, and he's not really amusing enough for a Saga here.

Actually, no wait, it was a bit funny when he said his "friends" were running real-money poker nights that fell apart after it became clear the host was only running them for everyone because he was the most experienced poker player and was coming away with all the money every time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

its one thing if its someone whos like actually funny or entertaining, but every subforum needing their own special moron who nobody likes is the most fail poo poo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
A large part of it is like that one tumblr that goes on about how people don't want to exclude others if they've been excluded before, I get the feeling that SA wasn't really always big on inclusivity, and now overcorrects.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't mind asking the TG mods wtf is going on there because I agree it's been off and on disruptive for a long while. I'm not trying to defend him or the modding action around him. I just don't know how to address individual user problems because it feels to personal to take to SAD or a feedback thread, and he's not really amusing enough for a Saga here.

Actually, no wait, it was a bit funny when he said his "friends" were running real-money poker nights that fell apart after it became clear the host was only running them for everyone because he was the most experienced poker player and was coming away with all the money every time.
its not personal to ask about posts made on a forum that everyone can read lol. its not drama if its just like 'hey this guys consistently weird and offputting and disruptive.' its not like youre talking about his mother

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GBS has their own forums pet that they isolate in a single thread and don't let him post anywhere else and it's absolutely bizarre, only even know about this because he'll break containment and poo poo up other forums before getting slapped.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

its one thing if its someone whos like actually funny or entertaining, but every subforum needing their own special moron who nobody likes is the most fail poo poo

Yeah every single one of these has been a bad time for everyone who isn't in on the "joke"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

GBS has their own forums pet that they isolate in a single thread and don't let him post anywhere else and it's absolutely bizarre, only even know about this because he'll break containment and poo poo up other forums before getting slapped.

Who?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

nom epique or something. he's on another account now though since he got banned. It came up in SAD like a week ago and it was very o_O to have the gbs mods just talk non nonchalantly about their forums pet

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think it's genuinely ok, better, and healthier to tell someone what the problem with them is, then secretly / openly seething about them, and if they don't get it it's better to keep a community healthy by getting rid of turbo weirdoes. I can't think of a single forum that doesn't moderate people who don't fit in in some way, either through excessive abuse by the users, or by the administrators restricting their access to posting.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

nom epique or something. he's on another account now though since he got banned. It came up in SAD like a week ago and it was very o_O to have the gbs mods just talk non nonchalantly about their forums pet

Seth Pecksniff posted:

nom epique's gimmick, through at least three different accounts since 2016, was to post threads. Not just any threads: one line threads, one word threads, no content threads. He would constantly do it. You'd gas one thread and probe him, he'd be back. You ban his account, apparently he has no idea how to reregister so he creates a new one. He hates Joe Biden, Xbox, tips back the Yeti, all sorts of poo poo.

Finally, Kit came up with the idea that he should have his own thread. The catch was that he could only post in that thread. He could create rules for the thread, he could threadban people. If he posted outside that thread, he'd be probed and all the rules and threadbans would be null and void.

Amazingly, it worked! He didn't post any new threads, and his own thread sort of took on a life of its own. We finally released him from that posting jail a while ago. The thread has its own, weird and frankly impenetrable culture in there. It survived in spite of him, not because of him.

Contrary to what people think, he was never prohibited from posting outside of GBS. It was a dumb thing for him to do and he reaped what he sowed, but that's the name of the game.

We did it as a sort of last resort. Yes, we could have banned him and I know I'm gonna hear "you should have just done that over and over" but it worked out for us in the end. He posted outside GBS and got hit for it and that's the end of this story.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

seems like it'd be easier/a lot more lucrative for el jefe if you just kept banning the weird guy imho

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wherever the line between "just annoying" and "disruptive to the point where they shouldn't post any more" is, there are always going to be people who are just barely on the right side of that line. There's a difference between putting up with those people and actively indulging them til they snap though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

"The thread has its own, weird and frankly impenetrable culture in there" should be grounds for firebombing any thread from orbit but alas, it's celebrated by GBS

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
this insanely weird "no we have a duty of care" behavior towards poo poo posters has no place on the forums and once someone has become a literal project to try and fix they need to go.

Careful Drums was beating his kids and the E/N thread was drinking the kool-aid that they had to keep him around to help him or he would get worse, and it was some noble mission of charity or some such bullshit, heavily enabled by the same mod who chased people all over the forums and threatened them to go back to their E/N thread and keep posting or she would level conseqeunces.

And it wasn't until synthy, the person now banned from reading anything but IZ and FYAD, posted a thread stating "why the gently caress is this allowed" that anything happened to fix the situtation.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

So what's going on in this thread??

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884274&pagenumber=62&perpage=40#post497756584

Why hasn't this guy been permabanned for abusing his kids? Why is Bobbie Wickham still a mod? Why are there other mods posting in that thread with nothing happening? Hello??

The poo poo that gets people banned around here is insane when compared to this loving drunk child beating yokel.

How is this post considered normal? Nobody responds to it at all, lmao. What the gently caress are you people doing

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 24, 2023

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Ibram Gaunt posted:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Joey McChrist posted:

these edition battles or "playing the game the wrong way/wrong game entirely" arguments are purestrain aids and thats why i avoid TG

I’ll read and sometimes post in system neutral tgd threads but yeah some people there get real loving weird about edition poo poo

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

free synthy

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Joey McChrist posted:

same, its quick and easy to throw an adventure or character together for a one-shot and since thats all my friends and i have the time to get together for its perfect

Yeah if certain TG regulars don't like a game it's basically impossible to talk about

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

lobster shirt posted:

pinkerton is still around in the corporate security space lol

The guy who domed some trump protestor in Denver a cpl years ago was a Pinkerton. Never did hear how that turned out.

Also I am like 50hrs into Y5 and still haven't finished Saejimas part.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

its not personal to ask about posts made on a forum that everyone can read lol. its not drama if its just like 'hey this guys consistently weird and offputting and disruptive.' its not like youre talking about his mother

I'm personally mixed on it still, that might just be me feeling bad about direct public call-outs in a passive nerd way though, so I'm sorry if that comes off really limp. I did reach out to the TG mods about this because that discord log scrape really makes me uncomfortable.

TheSwizzler posted:

I’ll read and sometimes post in system neutral tgd threads but yeah some people there get real loving weird about edition poo poo

I think this a good point to advertise the TG Feedback Thread, because I know I expressed that I felt like there was still some touchy edition warring stuff there, but I think it helps to get a lot of perspectives from people. I think it's a cool forum that gives a lot of good gaming advice, and it should be a place everyone feels welcome without tired nerd meltdowns happening over dumb poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m not sure if e/n should be considered part of this whole trend since talking people through their issues is part of how that forum works, though it does result in occasional moments of spectacle like with delphisage and carry on then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

rodbeard posted:

Yeah if certain TG regulars don't like a game it's basically impossible to talk about

There's at least one psycho in the MTG commander thread who reports every single post I make in it because I don't like cEDH