Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got to level 7 today on my support class in Embers Adrift. Picked Sentinel as my secondary, so i'll be focusing on healing. Still running around the first zone leveling up, as the mobs there are still perfect experience, which is to say the game still levels slowly, but I like that! The level cap is only 50, so it hardly matters how fast it is. Got into a group today too and had a fun time going to some of outside group content areas of the zone. Just clearing whole camps, and it felt like old school Everquest all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
You can still play EverQuest

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

for example there are no buildings that you can enter,

No buildings that you can enter in an indie MMO strikes me as appalling and lame, meanwhile they are still making AAA Diablo games with no skyboxes, no rotating camera and no zoom function in 2023, which I will eventually buy and play.

Is this normal?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Mr. Pickles posted:

No buildings that you can enter in an indie MMO strikes me as appalling and lame, meanwhile they are still making AAA Diablo games with no skyboxes, no rotating camera and no zoom function in 2023, which I will eventually buy and play.

Is this normal?

Yes, because most people make their discretionary spending decisions on an emotional basis. You clearly have an emotional response to Diablo, probably due to playing the famously addicting early installments of the franchise when you were younger. You have no emotional response to Embers Adrift, derivative indie MMO #47.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It'd be cool if MMO's were fun'

but they aint

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hra Mormo posted:

Yes, because most people make their discretionary spending decisions on an emotional basis. You clearly have an emotional response to Diablo, probably due to playing the famously addicting early installments of the franchise when you were younger. You have no emotional response to Embers Adrift, derivative indie MMO #47.

there is a certain degree of cognitive dissonance here, then again D4 goes brrr while Embers Adrift is more of a "hurr durrr" ordeal

Anyway, I too wish MMOs were fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why would a Diablo game have those.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
the overly zoomed in view was annoying in the d4 beta but how else will you enjoy your microtransaction cosmetics???

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why would a Diablo game have those.

Well, in order to not be an exact replica of the titles which came before it. Why does D4 have to be a glorified reskin of D1? There you have it, this is everything wrong with the entire VG industry summed up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
But that is what people want in a series that never needed something like spin camera to look at skybox

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I can not think of a single ARPG where I ever thought, "I want to see the skybox"

I have played ARPGs where they added a rotating camera and though, "Why the gently caress did they do this, it just makes it worse visually to see things"

That game in question in warhammer 40K inquisitor - Martyr. You have to rotate the camera because your vision will be blocked constantly due to poor design choices like large structure that will block your view. Other ARPGs tend to not require a rotating camera by not having poo poo that blocks your view.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Unless the thought process is, old game simple, new game more complex and better, which is really loving stupid.

Like staring at a side scrolling metroid vania going, this is too close to the original metroid, they need to add more because it is 2023.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

I can not think of a single ARPG where I ever thought, "I want to see the skybox"

I have played ARPGs where they added a rotating camera and though, "Why the gently caress did they do this, it just makes it worse visually to see things"

That game in question in warhammer 40K inquisitor - Martyr. You have to rotate the camera because your vision will be blocked constantly due to poor design choices like large structure that will block your view. Other ARPGs tend to not require a rotating camera by not having poo poo that blocks your view.

IDK, I like Inquisitor Martyr more because of the rotating camera. Its pretty cool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

Well, in order to not be an exact replica of the titles which came before it. Why does D4 have to be a glorified reskin of D1? There you have it, this is everything wrong with the entire VG industry summed up.

I do generally expect a sequel in a series to have the same player viewpoint as previous entries.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

inquisitor martyr was a fun game (many fond memories of warping around as psyker and purging taints) but the camera only needed to rotate because most of the levels were networks of grey or green corridors that intersected in boring yet dumb ways. it was pretty clunky and could easily have been designed around (like most competent arpgs do)

i also remember lowtax playing that game and posting in the thread, rest in piss

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am still hoping Diablo IV gets onto Game Pass before launch, but there isn't a lot of time left. Hate that it's an online only live service game, but it's going to sell 20 million plus copies in its first day, and that is likely being super conservative about its sales figures (its almost certainly going to be more than that on launch day), so support for it should continue for a few years at least.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kaysette posted:

the overly zoomed in view was annoying in the d4 beta but how else will you enjoy your microtransaction cosmetics???

that's just an arpg staple for some reason

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone make a sequel to Hellgate London, but this time the game is good.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I said come in! posted:

I am still hoping Diablo IV gets onto Game Pass before launch, but there isn't a lot of time left. Hate that it's an online only live service game, but it's going to sell 20 million plus copies in its first day, and that is likely being super conservative about its sales figures (its almost certainly going to be more than that on launch day), so support for it should continue for a few years at least.

Diablo 3 sold over 30 million and received some of the most embarrassing season content I have seen in an ARPG, so I guess we will see. The hope is the season pass $$$ will actually allow them to make fun unique content every few months.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Someone make a sequel to Hellgate London, but this time the game is good.

Destiny 2 seems like it's basically what Hellgate London was trying to be, just with a different setting and without calling itself an MMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kedo posted:

Destiny 2 seems like it's basically what Hellgate London was trying to be, just with a different setting and without calling itself an MMO.

I hate Destiny 2 so much. :sigh: Its such a bad game in just about every single way except how good the shooting feels.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I hate Destiny 2 so much. :sigh: Its such a bad game in just about every single way except how good the shooting feels.

Same! But it is, sadly, still better than Hellgate London.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kedo posted:

Same! But it is, sadly, still better than Hellgate London.

Fair point, that was my criteria. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thinking more about Embers Adrift and what I actually like about the game; the leveling experience is actually significant and matters. It's not just punishment until you get to the level cap and then you can experience the real game. Every single other MMO released over the last decade just makes it so that the leveling is an extended tutorial and doesn't actually mean anything. Embers Adrift, the actual game starts the moment you make your character, and this is a big breath of fresh air.

Other older MMORPGs do so much more a lot better, but Embers Adrift has those modern quality of life features that make it more approachable and easier to play. I can't go back to Everquest, its controls and UI just feel terrible and unapproachable.

Is this a game I would recommend to most MMORPG players? gently caress no. I think maybe one or two other goons in this thread are dumb enough like me to want to play this poo poo. Its so incredible niche, and its player numbers are like 15 - 20 people at any given time. Game is really cheap to run though, and the cost of the servers and bandwidth scale to what the devs need and for how many players there are. So they aren't wasting money just because there aren't 1000000000 people playing it at once. The monthly subs are enough to keep the game running indefinitely. This game has no publisher, there's no obligations or quarterly earning calls for the devs to adhere to.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Destiny 2 apparently looked at the pre-launch expansion events of something like WOW and said, "what if that, but every week". Last time I went to play it to maybe try to get into it, it threw me into a random cutscene and then mission about something I had no idea what was going on. I then went to see if I could figure out how to do the older stuff, and the answer is "no". You get the expansion which sticks around, then a year or whatever of live updates with literal FOMO missions that go away once the next one is added. And I guess these are at least partially locked behind season passes? Not to mention they are now "vaulting" their old expansions which is a nice way of saying "removing the expansion you paid for".

It's absolute dogshit, which is a shame because the minute to minute shooting in Destiny 2 is :discourse:

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Thinking more about Embers Adrift and what I actually like about the game; the leveling experience is actually significant and matters. It's not just punishment until you get to the level cap and then you can experience the real game. Every single other MMO released over the last decade just makes it so that the leveling is an extended tutorial and doesn't actually mean anything. Embers Adrift, the actual game starts the moment you make your character, and this is a big breath of fresh air.

Other older MMORPGs do so much more a lot better, but Embers Adrift has those modern quality of life features that make it more approachable and easier to play. I can't go back to Everquest, its controls and UI just feel terrible and unapproachable.

Is this a game I would recommend to most MMORPG players? gently caress no. I think maybe one or two other goons in this thread are dumb enough like me to want to play this poo poo. Its so incredible niche, and its player numbers are like 15 - 20 people at any given time. Game is really cheap to run though, and the cost of the servers and bandwidth scale to what the devs need and for how many players there are. So they aren't wasting money just because there aren't 1000000000 people playing it at once. The monthly subs are enough to keep the game running indefinitely. This game has no publisher, there's no obligations or quarterly earning calls for the devs to adhere to.

there's actually like a handful that played and enjoyed embers adrift on launch, theres even a thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014896

people seemed to like it until after like the first 10 levels or so before they burned out, which was my experience too. dont know if theyve made things better since launch though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kevin Bacon posted:

there's actually like a handful that played and enjoyed embers adrift on launch, theres even a thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014896

people seemed to like it until after like the first 10 levels or so before they burned out, which was my experience too. dont know if theyve made things better since launch though.

Their release schedule is new playable content every month. They are focusing around the level 20 - 40 range currently, adding new dungeons, quests, and leveling locations to all of the zones. There is a new dungeon being added that is being released over three phases. One phase each month, that adds a massive dungeon that takes hours to get through. Its like Everquest, where everyone is in the same instance, but the dungeon is so big that you're not really going to run into other groups.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Cutedge posted:

Destiny 2 apparently looked at the pre-launch expansion events of something like WOW and said, "what if that, but every week". Last time I went to play it to maybe try to get into it, it threw me into a random cutscene and then mission about something I had no idea what was going on. I then went to see if I could figure out how to do the older stuff, and the answer is "no". You get the expansion which sticks around, then a year or whatever of live updates with literal FOMO missions that go away once the next one is added. And I guess these are at least partially locked behind season passes? Not to mention they are now "vaulting" their old expansions which is a nice way of saying "removing the expansion you paid for".

It's absolute dogshit, which is a shame because the minute to minute shooting in Destiny 2 is :discourse:

I cannot comprehend the inclusion of FOMO gameplay content in MMOs. With transmog/mounts, you can at least understand the developer's contempt for the players that were not able to log in to get their shiny pegasus mount during the 3 day window, but gameplay content with a timer attached to it? That makes no sense.

I think it was Guild Wars 2 that did something like a dungeon that was only temporary?

MMO developers are weird.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I remember getting to cap in GW2 then the first living world season was just a cutscene because they didn't let anyone play that content anymore. Very weird. Looks like they reversed that decision though and revamped/rereleased some of it last year.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_1

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they released the entire thing as a living story season, yes. it was a "if you're not playing now you'll miss it" thing and it only took them 10 years to put it back in lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have friends that swear by Guild Wars 2, they consider it their favorite game ever. I have never been able to find the appeal in the game. I know its a really good MMORPG, but just not for me.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Guild Wars 2, at least to me, brought the next iteration of MMO questing that was always the typical "go to npc, pick up quest, collect 15 koala testicle, turn in". Being able to run around and just play the game was amazing.

Unfortunately, the gameplay loop loses steam fast once you realize there's no real vertical progression. For those who want horizontal progression with a cool world to run play in, I completely understand the appeal of it.

It also has no monthly fee, which is a bonus.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
vertical progression is dumb and bad so gw2 is good
i'd like ff14 a lot more if i didn't have to grind new gear every 6 months. just drop more glams in dungeons, the stats don't have to keep going up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The sweet spot for me is dont increase the level cap, but have gear tiers that you work towards in the end game. I like that Lost Ark does this, but it shoots itself in the foot by having a massively discouraging resource sink, and extremely difficult group content that is required for progress.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i like a lot of things about GW2 but I wish they tried to do something about the visual clutter, it's hard to make out enemy tells or determine which spots on the battlefield aren't being sprayed with translucent goo

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

i played embers adrift for a couple hours and died too many times and gave up. my gamer spirit is weak.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Every time I go to play GW2 I always feel like I'm at a loss for anything meaningful to do. If I want better outfits, I either just farm gold or spend real cash. If I want mount skins? Cash. I already have the best gear so I have nothing upgrade there. Like it feels that the only meaningful activity I can do is farm cash to exchange into cash shop currency, and there's nothing else I can do to get anything cool. You can't even change your outfit because the consumables that do so are limited and sold on the cash shop. I keep going back to try it because there is no monthly sub and I want to find some mmo to play, but I just don't understand what the hell people actually do there.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I just log in whenever there are new zones to explore because that's the thing GW2 does so well. Few weeks to finish the zone, see any relevant meta events, maybe do a celebration event and I put it back down for a bit. It's insanely easy to just come back to whenever with no pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaysette posted:

inquisitor martyr was a fun game (many fond memories of warping around as psyker and purging taints) but the camera only needed to rotate because most of the levels were networks of grey or green corridors that intersected in boring yet dumb ways. it was pretty clunky and could easily have been designed around (like most competent arpgs do)

i also remember lowtax playing that game and posting in the thread, rest in piss

I played it recently because I wanted to scratch that ARPG itch and already owned it and it was actually a lot of fun. Probably stopped me from buying Last Epoch at the time.

Of course what I truely want to play is Marvel Heroes :doom: :rip: