Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
LinkedIn has one purpose, and that is to herd recruiters on your own terms. I'm a basic Windows admin dude who can barely reboot a server without making GBS threads myself, and when I wanted to look for new jobs about a year and a half ago I rewrote my profile to pretty much just say "Azure AWS Terraform Kubernetes" despite me not knowing anything about any of those things, and ticked the box that said I was open for calls from recruiters.

My cell phone almost melted from all the calls I got, and I got so many job interviews I had to cancel some just because there were too many. I got a 54% increase in salary at my new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

evobatman posted:

LinkedIn has one purpose, and that is to herd recruiters on your own terms. I'm a basic Windows admin dude who can barely reboot a server without making GBS threads myself, and when I wanted to look for new jobs about a year and a half ago I rewrote my profile to pretty much just say "Azure AWS Terraform Kubernetes" despite me not knowing anything about any of those things, and ticked the box that said I was open for calls from recruiters.

My cell phone almost melted from all the calls I got, and I got so many job interviews I had to cancel some just because there were too many. I got a 54% increase in salary at my new job.

What job did you end up going with? I'm guessing they didn't check for any of those things during the interviews?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Jiro posted:

Been job hunting since mid January since we were given the heads up that our contract was getting cut short ending at the end of February. It's....... I definitely hate it and it's soul grinding. My area of S. Texas has poo poo for actual tech jobs with the closest being San Antonio 3.5 hour drive just to get to city limits.

Ever since the pandemic, Florida and especially Texas has absolutely exploded with remote IT/Dev Jobs probably because they're low cost states for businesses and a time zone that covers North America and close to when US Markets open. Personally, I wouldn't mind either but I've got more family/friends on the West Coast and just prefer Cali vibes.

What's your skillset?

tokin opposition posted:

Go cloud if you want money, go networking if you don't mind always in demand in person work, security if you want to be a computer cop or h@x0r, or an MBA if you want to stop touching computers but still make IT money

Hot take, computers are computers. Personally, I don't care if it's On-Premise, Hybrid, Cloud or some bizarre air-gapped super secure system that decades old. You should be doing well if you are working with technology because this job isn't easy.

evobatman posted:

Part of me wants to stop working with traditional sysadmin stuff like AD, ADFS, ADSync, MIM/FIM, Intune, Azure AD, etc. and completely pivot to some generic DevOps Engineer role deploying whatever IaaS/PaaS in Azure through an ADO pipeline because I kind of feel like SysAdmin roles are getting crapped on as "cost centers" for the business. The pay I think for now is okay but the amount of work is quite high but there is too much risks of outsourcing and constant management re-orgs.

If I can't find something in a couple weeks, I'll flip it around but I really enjoy working with IAM. I guess I am the only person here who gets excited troubleshooting SAML authentication with Fiddler? :haw:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 24, 2023

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

tokin opposition posted:

Go cloud if you want money, go networking if you don't mind always in demand in person work, security if you want to be a computer cop or h@x0r, or an MBA if you want to stop touching computers but still make IT money

Cloud for the remote aspect, but security seems like an easier pivot with my background. I finished a CySa cert and maybe will start a CISSP soon. I dunno, I just don't want to be one of those exmil guys with a cert who points to a Nesus scan result and grunts.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
First day back after a week vacation in Puerto Rico and it feels great coming back to a place that isn’t on fire and not having a week of work backlogged waiting for me.

Apparently communication has somewhat failed though as I just found out a remote senior director was let go two weeks ago and nobody thought to let IT know.

Also have a notification at 3pm Friday of a new employee starting today. Thankfully my tech saw it right before leaving as while we are able to get a new user set up and ready to go in under an hour, it takes a solid 8-12 hours for the account to populate to all systems with m365.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
As I’ve learned, there’s network engineer jobs that are an on call hell hole switch janitor roles(hire anyone who can use a screwdriver and can subnet somewhat)and there are network engineer jobs where you’re network engineering config templates for the FTE switch janitors to get an ip/snmp up so you can configure the rest while the techs wait on the phone at some site. Plan accordingly.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 24, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Hot take, computers are computers. Personally, I don't care if it's On-Premise, Hybrid, Cloud or some bizarre air-gapped super secure system that decades old. You should be doing well if you are working with technology because this job isn't easy.

The pay gaps for on prem vs. cloud positions are intense. It’s also where you’ll still find plenty of work at this point too

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Or you can be Methanar where you ostensibly work in cloud infra but you still end up spending all your time troubleshooting network equipment in datacenters

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vulture Culture posted:

Or you can be Methanar where you ostensibly work in cloud infra but you still end up spending all your time troubleshooting network equipment in datacenters

look for half a mil in annual TC (before the valuation crash anyways) I’d put up with a lot of poo poo too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I preferred when he was raking leaves

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

i am a moron posted:

The pay gaps for on prem vs. cloud positions are intense. It’s also where you’ll still find plenty of work at this point too

Are VMware virt. guys and CCNAs getting paid less than their cloud counterparts?!?!?! It's literally someone else's computer!

Also, every position and project I've been on I am responsible for both On-Premise and Cloud aspects :sigh:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My title is "Cloud Engineer", but the extent of my interaction is occasionally asking if there could be an Azure issue :shrug:

All my poo poo is internal, and we call it "private cloud" because lol words mean nothing

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are VMware virt. guys and CCNAs getting paid less than their cloud counterparts?!?!?! It's literally someone else's computer!

Also, every position and project I've been on I am responsible for both On-Premise and Cloud aspects :sigh:

It’s way easier to find people who know traditional virt and networking than it is to find qualified cloud engineers and architects at this point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Virt and networking has been more or less the same for ages. Seems like azure changes every other week.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

I preferred when he was raking leaves
We can just be happy that his entire career is insane stories and that he shares them for our benefit

GreenNight posted:

Virt and networking has been more or less the same for ages. Seems like azure changes every other week.
Nominally, sure. The move from hub-and-spoke datacenters with saturated uplinks to CLOS topology with basically unlimited bandwidth isn't always acknowledged as the transformation it was. But ecosystems continue to evolve in ways that ease integration pain points. I first built a "service mesh" by hand a decade ago, and there have been plenty of products like Istio and Linkerd and Consul, but the game changes every time something like AWS's VPC Lattice enters the conversation.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 24, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

i am a moron posted:

It’s way easier to find people who know traditional virt and networking than it is to find qualified cloud engineers and architects at this point.

That's fair but I feel like if I found a decent Virt. guy who was easy to work with the bridge from On-Premise to Cloud ain't that big of a gap. There are some unique things with the cloud such as flexibility and scale but beyond that it's not like super amazing special. If you want that I can talk about AS/400. Hell, at one point I logged into OpenVMS.

GreenNight posted:

True, Azure, AWS, GCP change a lot and there always adding something which may or may not be useful. It's faster moving than OS upgrades every few years.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I may have found a perfect niche. I'm a network consultant who worked up from Helpdesk over about 20 years, but I also have a long background of doing all the grunt work which is a great perspective when I am giving those doing the grunt work templates and assistance. I've been in construction and remodeling on residential and commercial side long enough to know what's possible from a premise cabling/mounting, pathways, ducts, etc. Then after working for a lovely place that I learned the in's and out's of government, as well as a crash course in public infrastructure, I took everything I touched there and got into Intelligent transportation stuff.

I'll never feel comfortable asking someone to do something that I haven't done myself. Being on this end of it all for once is just loving awesome.

^^^
e: now a colleague of mine is about to start printing money. He is a ridiculously talented security guy with a lot of experience and also has an azure Architect cert. He might be onto something pen testing and remediating computing environments built in Azure.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 24, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That's fair but I feel like if I found a decent Virt. guy who was easy to work with the bridge from On-Premise to Cloud ain't that big of a gap. There are some unique things with the cloud such as flexibility and scale but beyond that it's not like super amazing special. If you want that I can talk about AS/400. Hell, at one point I logged into OpenVMS.

A huge part of my career has been consulting on private endpoints/private DNS/regular old DNS/Microsoft PaaS in the cloud at this point. There are also people printing money on knowing how to run k8s on the various cloud flavors from AWS/GCP/Azure. Knowing IaaS and how to make servers work is not particularly valuable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we're working on private endpoints right now and oh boy is it a mess

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I can unfuck it for $500/hr just lmk

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Just kidding I barely do my real job I ain’t taking side work

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Just kidding I barely do my real job I ain’t taking side work

:hmmyes:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If I can't find something in a couple weeks, I'll flip it around but I really enjoy working with IAM. I guess I am the only person here who gets excited troubleshooting SAML authentication with Fiddler? :haw:

Cloud identity is absolutely a thing, it’s what I was doing at my last role. It’s just less AD/azureAD and more vendor specific implementations. Ping, Okta, Forgerock, Sailpoint. If you understand how saml/oauth/oidc work you can absolutely find a position in the 150k range doing that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

i am a moron posted:

A huge part of my career has been consulting on private endpoints/private DNS/regular old DNS/Microsoft PaaS in the cloud at this point. There are also people printing money on knowing how to run k8s on the various cloud flavors from AWS/GCP/Azure. Knowing IaaS and how to make servers work is not particularly valuable.

When I say AD I'm including DNS in that and you are right there are a lot of gotchas with Azure DNS especially when it linked back On-Premise. As for virt. it is true that some of those guys never had to touch dns, networking, etc. or put a ton of time into managing storage. That doesn't necessarily carry over that well.

As for as K8 goes... How lucrative is that exactly? It is just deploying and managing AKS or beyond that? For context, I know little about containers...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we aren't having any real problems with the private endpoint service itself our big rats nest is a combination of support for legacy stuff and making it available for self service

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

xsf421 posted:

Cloud identity is absolutely a thing, it’s what I was doing at my last role. It’s just less AD/azureAD and more vendor specific implementations. Ping, Okta, Forgerock, Sailpoint. If you understand how saml/oauth/oidc work you can absolutely find a position in the 150k range doing that.

Sometimes, I feel like Identity is a super unique thing and it does seem that only large big corporation really care about it. I know most of the ins and outs of Azure AD and I've done migrations from Okta and Ping. Okta is interesting but crazily expensive but developers seem to really enjoy what's offered by Auth0 since the acquisition. Ping Identity is interesting but it is obscenely complicated and complex.

If I were to learn anything next - it'd be SailPoint. I'm not exactly sure what the hell it does but it's absolutely hot at the moment.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Teleport is hot too.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The Fool posted:

we aren't having any real problems with the private endpoint service itself our big rats nest is a combination of support for legacy stuff and making it available for self service

For self service the best thing* I found was to centralize all your PDNS zones and tell people to leave the DNS portion of their PE configs blank and write a policy that adds them automatically to the zones (this breaks for geo replicated services and I had to move all that to an infoblox solution but 95% of the zones are fine like that IME)

* This also assumes you’re linking them into DNS vnets and has all the conditional forwarding

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If I were to learn anything next - it'd be SailPoint. I'm not exactly sure what the hell it does but it's absolutely hot at the moment.

i'm in the periphery of a sailpoint implementation, ama

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

i'm in the periphery of a sailpoint implementation, ama

Really dumb basic question, why would I choose SailPointIQ over like just developing some simple internal application or something that would just trigger PowerShell Scripts to do whatever with a user?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Really dumb basic question, why would I choose SailPointIQ over like just developing some simple internal application or something that would just trigger PowerShell Scripts to do whatever with a user?

it's about risk mitigation and dev-hour investment in a complex environment

We have 30k-50k employees at peak, with significant seasonal based expansion and reduction

once implementation is finished, sailpoint lets us have some jr security engineers janitor policy definitions and the iam team only needs to worry about exceptions

rolling your own works, and is even the right decision for a lot of environments but there's a couple of important considerations:

when a business rule changes, how difficult is it to update the implementation?

If something goes wrong, who is responsible?

How much dev time will it take to build and maintain an in house solution that's only 20% of the vendors product?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

For self service the best thing* I found was to centralize all your PDNS zones and tell people to leave the DNS portion of their PE configs blank and write a policy that adds them automatically to the zones (this breaks for geo replicated services and I had to move all that to an infoblox solution but 95% of the zones are fine like that IME)

* This also assumes you’re linking them into DNS vnets and has all the conditional forwarding

the terraform module is handling a lot of that, vnets are managed centrally, zones are created by the module and linked, and we have an custom in house thing that manages the conditional forwards in onprem dns

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

True self service eschews picking IAC for people :science: this is not my opinion

I did make a module for it but then you get into ah jeez Rick how do we make people use it and you take a look at sentinel and it’s like yea gently caress this I’m just gonna use policy and if someone makes their own disconnected PDNS zone we’ll just send them the documentation after they troubleshoot their ‘DNS issues’ for 15 minutes to three weeks depending on how determined they are not to talk to the platform team

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

both the blessing and the curse of my current environment is that using the platform is not optional

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bored and sitting in an urgent care waiting room m, someone entertain me

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Day 3 of a firewall migration, and management thinks we're not getting paid enough to deal with this poo poo.

Also who knew that cisco and palo doesn't always play nice when using OSPF. Probably because of some dumb config error somewhere.

So we're using static routes in TYOOL 2023 :haw:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Fool posted:

rolling your own works, and is even the right decision for a lot of environments but there's a couple of important considerations:

when a business rule changes, how difficult is it to update the implementation?

If something goes wrong, who is responsible?

How much dev time will it take to build and maintain an in house solution that's only 20% of the vendors product?

But regardless of what you do, once you have a decently functional and successful IAM solution you'll find you have a shitton of business knowledge encoded in it, and it will be a huge ordeal if it ever breaks, or someone decides it needs to be replaced.

The more custom systems your business has, the more custom code your IAM solution will need.

There is no such thing as an IAM solution that does not need customization, extensive business knowledge, and buy-in from every layer to cooperate in discovering and implementing the actual requirements.

And as with any software, make sure that whatever you do, you have the ability to test and preview changes, before a minor typo wreaks havoc on 95% of your users.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

It's amazing how many environments don't grasp this, and don't understand why "who's supposed to have access to what" isn't a problem they can just pay a vendor to make go away. The value of this kind of software is in proving an audit, not in management.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Your application A push today is causing problems! Look at this ticket! Can we please please stop the push?!

Oh no! hm, this ticket is for application B?

It happened exactly after your push!

Oh no! hm, but, on spending 3 more seconds reading the ticket it was put in yesterday? And they report it's been happening for a few days?

*six hours of silence and counting*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Umbreon posted:

What job did you end up going with? I'm guessing they didn't check for any of those things during the interviews?

When the recruiters called me I pretty much said "I'm an on-prem Windows dude that is looking to move into cloud stuff, what do you have for me?"

I went for working with Privileged Access Management at a big bank. They were looking for someone with Microsoft experience to do infrastructure stuff. The money is great, but the bureacracy is absolutely killing my soul. I've gone from being Domain Admin in my previous job to having to wait a month to have a disk expanded from 100 to 200 GB, and I have to provide a business justification for it. Trying to get a new VM - a thing where I could previously right click, New Server - took three and a half months. I've tried to protest and tell them how IT stuff is done at a real company, but everyone agrees that it should be this way, and just throws more money at me to get me to shut up.

I won't be here forever, but for now the money is financing fixing up my old house, restoring my old car and still having money left over to put in index funds for my retirement.

I've also done the AZ-900 and SC-900 while here, and have started working on the AZ-104, since we get free certs.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 25, 2023