Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big 3 contract fight will be a big step, there's fighting rhetoric coming from the presidential seat and an nationwide effort from the reform caucus building strike committees in different Ford, stellantis and GM factories, but they're still a minority position by # of members, it will be a good test of their tactics to prove how willing the UAW membership is to actually go on militant strike. But there also needs to be buy in and trust from that same membership, the reform caucus won every seat they contested but only like 20% of the membership votes in the first place and Shawn won with like a 0.5% margin. The reactionary old guard is going to work overtime to stymie the strike efforts and blame the new caucus for their own failures. Lot of interesting poo poo happening in this union before even considering the coastal higher Ed+legal contingents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
How will the repeal of right to work in Michigan affect this? Adding a bunch of conservatives and indifferent people to the membership will push the union in a less radical direction, assuming they bother to vote.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

shawn's right

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/04/10/vctl-a10.html
pretty big story recently here where truckers for a polish company have been striking due to exploitative conditions such as not paying wages for 2 months. the company even tried to send in fascist strike-breakers but police intervened

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/wolsanlim/status/1644577435118346241?s=46&t=f3DVHW2pFMXQdgOf2PA6XQ

Korean truck drivers also protested in solidarity

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this thread was at a shameful ZERO POINTS in the posting is praxis contest. i donated $501 (via writing off that much that the Fund owes me) to get us on the board.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!
typical liberal playing with spreadsheets and calling it material support

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost
hey all,

where can i find some good resources on organizing/mobilizing around Work-to-Rule?

my team has been getting hit with more responsibilities and there seems to be no plan to hire more resources to get us there, we had two brand new major efforts announced this morning that have basically doubled our workload in one particular area and from what I can see on my colleagues' timesheets, they are not holding themselves to the billable/admin time split that's part of our CBA with the company.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Necrobama posted:

hey all,

where can i find some good resources on organizing/mobilizing around Work-to-Rule?

my team has been getting hit with more responsibilities and there seems to be no plan to hire more resources to get us there, we had two brand new major efforts announced this morning that have basically doubled our workload in one particular area and from what I can see on my colleagues' timesheets, they are not holding themselves to the billable/admin time split that's part of our CBA with the company.

it’s so dependent on the specific rules of your company that there’s not gonna be any one-size-fits-all guide. however, for a militant action like that, I would recommend organizing it with a similar structure as though you’re starting a union from scratch: a committee of roughly 10% of the workplace, equally spanning departments and other divisions in your workplace (cliques, age groups, race, gender, etc), as best as you can make it.

it’s basically in two steps: getting a group together to read your workplace’s rules with a fine-tooth comb, then getting that group to talk to everyone to have buy in from the whole workplace.

if you feel comfortable you can go more in depth about the sort of workplace and what’s in your CBA

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

kingcobweb posted:

it’s so dependent on the specific rules of your company that there’s not gonna be any one-size-fits-all guide. however, for a militant action like that, I would recommend organizing it with a similar structure as though you’re starting a union from scratch: a committee of roughly 10% of the workplace, equally spanning departments and other divisions in your workplace (cliques, age groups, race, gender, etc), as best as you can make it.

it’s basically in two steps: getting a group together to read your workplace’s rules with a fine-tooth comb, then getting that group to talk to everyone to have buy in from the whole workplace.

if you feel comfortable you can go more in depth about the sort of workplace and what’s in your CBA

this is already super helpful, thanks - i definitely was thinking too small of a scope since really this is going to impact no less than 4 different teams, so it's going to be important to cross-organize rather than just how it's going to impact my team.

i work in a tech shop and one of our q1 goals that was announced was an effort to get all customers off of our legacy product versions and into the newest version on a 1yr timeline vs a 2yr timeline which...fine. we've automated a lot of the tedium and the move from one application to the other now only takes ~hr of work.

we found out this morning that on top of this, a product we own through acquisition has had its timeline moved up to be sunset in Q4 next year and we're going to be "asked" to handle the moves from the legacy product customers into the surviving app.

on top of these, we've also just been told that we are going to be responsible for migrating clients off of our current payment processor and into stripe - we handle a lot of regularly charged transactions (memberships, monthly sponsorships, etc) so this involves getting the tokenized data from processor A and formatting it to work with processor B, and we're not doing anything yet, we're going to continue moving customers to the new application with processor A as their processor and then we'll migrate them to the new payment processor as a separate migration, the recurring commitments of course being the part that takes the most time during a move to the new app version.

this is in addition to ticket-based/cs-related code work we're expected to maintain.

i've done a little bit of initial research and our time tracking tools are built out currently to consider 5:35 of billable work every day as 100% utilization and have verbal confirmation that this is in fact the case and made a hand-written note with date/time/name of manager that confirmed.

i think what's going to be important is the question of how the 'administrative' remainder of time is spent - i haven't been able to come up with any sort of hard documentation that says it should be spent on process improvement, or timesheet related stuff, or HR bullshit or whatever.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
is your workplace work from home or in-person? actions are possible at both, but it'll affect what you can do.

now's a good time to talk about escalating tactics. basically, you want to lay out a series of things you can do, as you build union power and militancy with your coworkers by doing these actions together. instead of doing one thing, and if it doesn't have the effect you want, then uhhhh figure something else out, you plan a series of things to do until you win whatever you want to win. you can think of these actions as a spectrum of "cool" to "hot," where "hot" means more confrontational and higher-risk. so an example spectrum of actions, from cool to hot:

everyone wears matching union t-shirts or slack profile pic of the union logo
everyone wears matching buttons or slack profile pic that say something like "5:35 billable hours" or something else directly related to the issue at hand
everyone signs a petition...
...and marches to the boss to hand-deliver it
coordinated work-to-rule (slowdown)
wildcat strike

not all of these actions are necessarily what i recommend, just examples of escalating actions.

what you want to do are what organizers call structure tests. say that you've built a committee, everyone is hyped and ready to go. your first structure test might be getting everyone to sign their name to a petition. Amy, Barbara, and Charles are your committee members for divisions A, B, and C of your company, respectively, and they're all saying how radical their division is and how everyone is ready to fight with them. they're tasked with getting 100% of people in their division to sign on to the petition. Amy gets 95% of division A, Barbara gets 80% of division B, and Charles gets 30% of division C. well, your structure test showed a structural problem! seems like you have more organizing to do in division C. maybe Charles is a poor committee member, or isn't well-liked in his division, or is internally feeling more hesitancy about the strategy than he's telling you about. it's way better to find this out with something like a petition than it is when you're relying on division C to do a work-to-rule or a walkout.

plus, this gets your rank-and-file engaged earlier in the process; it's easier to call on people again once you've built a relationship, instead of asking them to do something big out of nowhere. and, starry-eyed workers who think their company and boss are just the bestest will just be shocked- shocked!- that the company didn't fix their problems when you sent them a well-argued petition with their names signed to it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
oh and what’s the union steward situation there

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

kingcobweb posted:

oh and what’s the union steward situation there

most of our stewards are new to organizing, and the few times I've thought we had cause to grieve something I didn't really get the sense that there was much interest in talking it out or even getting into a scuffle with the company over it.

to give some minor context, we were one of the bunch of shops that got hit with layoffs in early q1 and one of the positions eliminated was a coordinator for our team (part of the bargaining unit) - scoping custom work, managing resource assignment, etc. This role was also handled by a manager of the team (not part of the bargaining unit) - scoping really deep technical work would typically go to the manager and stuff like custom reports or duplicate analyses would get scoped by the coordinator. There was also a 3rd manager in play at the time who was not responsible for assigning or scoping work.

recently the manager who typically assigns out work was on leave for a day and the manager that does not assign out work was tasked with...assigning out work. when i raised that

1) a manager should not be assigning out work as that is the task of a BU member, especially one who was laid off regardless of whatever informal status quo existed before ratification of the cba
2) a second manager who never was responsible for assigning should not now be assigning out work they never previously were not part of any sort of informal status quo you might be trying to honor now

the answer I got back was a sort of tepid, not-rock-the-boat answer indicating that there was nothing there that we could grieve.

the idealist in me says it's a strategy of picking your battles, but given some other disappointments that are a bit more public than i'm comfortable sharing i'm not entirely certain our parent or parent-parent orgs are very interested in staking a flag over one position that was eliminated because...market unionists gonna market union.

we do currently have a weekly solidarity selfie in one of the corporate slack channels that ELT takes part in, perhaps it's time to consider escalating that to an HR-related channel or something a bit more high traffic than '#random'

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

my personal experience is that management is always looking for a place to slide in the thin edge of the knife; I’d at least call a labor management meeting (if that’s in your contract) over that poo poo, and grieve it if that doesn’t go well.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

kingcobweb did a great job covering the work to rule stuff

I repeat all the time at work: do what you can, in the time you’re given, with the resources you’re provided. and given that we do physical labor, I throw in ‘safely.’

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kingcobweb did a great overview. doing something very confrontational like a work-to-rule action without buy-in from every worker can be going too fast. it'll be too easy for management to pick people off and demotivate everyone. the problem with passive unions arises when nobody tries to fix that problem by putting membership through the motions of collective action on less confrontational issues, to develop class consciousness among membership and build up to a strong and militant membership.

a book that goes into more in-depth discussion of the sort of steps kingcobweb talked about and has a bunch of case studies is No Shortcuts by Jane McAlevey. i admit i haven't read the whole thing myself but my local refers extensively to it for our organizing strategy.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Apr 24, 2023

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
ok thats cool. imho

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1650548923440803848

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

kingcobweb did a great overview. doing something very confrontational like a work-to-rule action without buy-in from every worker can be going too fast. it'll be too easy for management to pick people off and demotivate everyone. the problem with passive unions arises when nobody tries to fix that problem by putting membership through the motions of collective action on less confrontational issues, to develop class consciousness among membership and build up to a strong and militant membership.

a book that goes into more in-depth discussion of the sort of steps kingcobweb talked about and has a bunch of case studies is No Shortcuts by Jane McAlevey. i admit i haven't read the whole thing myself but my local refers extensively to it for our organizing strategy.

No Shortcuts is the famous one, but people should read them in reverse order if they’re new to unions. A Collective Bargain, then Raising Expectations, then No Shortcuts.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

just ordered the German edition of No Shortcuts. need to step up my labor organizing Wortschatz

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

just ordered the German edition of No Shortcuts. need to step up my labor organizing Wortschatz

please tell me it’s called like Nein Shortcutten

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it's Keine halben Sachen, which is also the german title for the 2009 hit Bruce Willis comedy, The Whole Nine Yards

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost
totally not related to the union situation I'm having at all, but I thought you all might appreciate my wife's boss putting in an all staff email that no one is allowed to use any of their accrued time off for the rest of the school year

:hmbol:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this poo poo is so bleak

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1652009882898378753?s=20

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Isn't that supposed to be a worker coop? Wtf is going on?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Isn't that supposed to be a worker coop? Wtf is going on?

consumers co-op. VERY different.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Imagine the people who are going to get an interview jfc

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tom Smykowski posted:

Imagine the people who are going to get an interview jfc

I'd rather not, thanks

sube
Nov 7, 2022

sube posted:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/04/10/vctl-a10.html
pretty big story recently here where truckers for a polish company have been striking due to exploitative conditions such as not paying wages for 2 months. the company even tried to send in fascist strike-breakers but police intervened
Update:
https://twitter.com/atemaedwin/status/1651942467791384578?s=46&t=f3DVHW2pFMXQdgOf2PA6XQ

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Meanwhile, in “the freest country in the world;”

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/news/florida-republicans-pass-anti-union-bill-reject-democrats-attempts-to-soften-its-blow-34058624

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

That reminds me they sent me an email about voting for the board since I have a membership. Is there any campaign among members to vote out the antiunion board members and replace them with people who aren't total shitheads?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wow this is awful. requires any public sector employee to maintain 60% membership of their workplace in a state thats already open shop + right to work, or else they get decertified by the state. And of course cop unions were excused from this requirement. Fairly blatant attack on educators, fuckin trash bill. Condolences out to the florida workers, this is going to be brutal to deal with

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I’m amazed that a state can decertify a union. I thought that poo poo was covered on the federal level, but lol US, I guess.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

In Training posted:

wow this is awful. requires any public sector employee to maintain 60% membership of their workplace in a state thats already open shop + right to work, or else they get decertified by the state. And of course cop unions were excused from this requirement. Fairly blatant attack on educators, fuckin trash bill. Condolences out to the florida workers, this is going to be brutal to deal with

Don't forget that with 20 hours of in-class observation time those cops can then teach k-12 in Florida!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

this thread was at a shameful ZERO POINTS in the posting is praxis contest. i donated $501 (via writing off that much that the Fund owes me) to get us on the board.

This maneuver got this thread a third place ranking by 1 point, meaning this thread gets its own smiley/emote designed for yalls use! If there's anything in particular any of you want feel free to discuss and come to some sort of consensus so we can get it done for yall.

croup coughfield posted:

typical liberal playing with spreadsheets and calling it material support

=GOODS(GOT,TEN)

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hell of a way to celebrate labor day

https://twitter.com/shut_downamazon/status/1653073173221449733

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
it’s strike night in Hollywood

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1653244160873500675

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

burn hollywood down

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

here're the actual points of contention:
https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1653272585252257793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm sure this has come up elsewhere in the thread, but are there any good resources for trying to work coworkers through the very basic concept of us having shared interests and that we could achieve things working together? I've been trying for a few years, unsuccessfully, which bums me out because my old job got crushed in layoffs after I left.