Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the main thing for me from playing the demo, is they've GOT to improve their random NPC conversations. a lot of it is so terse that it feels like placeholder dialog. needs a lot more flavor and personality. i don't care if the person i'm interviewing is not even remotely connected to the case, they should at least say more than 5 words to my questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Cool, thanks.

Mordja posted:

D.O.R.F. RTS, that game being made in the OpenRA engine has a Steam page, not that I expect it to come out anytime soon.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2388620/DORF_RealTime_Strategic_Conflict/

I'm glad the indie scene has finally come far along enough that we've got up-and-coming devs making the dream follow-ups to games I played as a kid (Wario Land, Red Alert).

Communist Bear posted:

Shadows of Doubt is being released today (in 4 hours actually).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/986130/Shadows_of_Doubt/

It was very much a highlight of the last Next Fest demo and i'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
By the same developer as Concrete Jungle, believe it or not.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Communist Bear posted:

It was very much a highlight of the last Next Fest demo and i'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Only had time to check it out for a few minutes after it released, but it seems to be running much better than the demo did for me in terms of optimization, which is great since that was my main complaint with the demo.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The "immersive" part of the genre comes down to the highly grounded systemic interaction, and for that, I've seen no game do it better than Shadows of Doubt. Rooting through people's trash, seeing what channel they left their TV on last, re-dialling the last called number on their phones to find a lead - any lead - on a case quickly going cold, it's brill.

Jack Trades posted:

The term "immersive sim" has nothing to do with whether or not the game feels immersive or not.
Yes, it is one of the worst named game genres.

The only requirement to be an immersive sim is the first door you come across has to be locked and require the code "0451" :colbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is a 0451 genre.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Humankind is on super sale, how did that end up being vs Civ6?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ah, Cult of the Lamb is on sale apparently. I liked the demo way back when but did not get it at launch for whatever reason. Don't know if this new update fixes the issues I have heard about but now is as good a time as any to play it and it should be a good time at bare minimum.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Humankind is on super sale, how did that end up being vs Civ6?

Mechanically it's what you can expect from Amplitude: A lot of neat ideas and systems that ultimately end up being disappointing. But this one doesn't have the extremely creative worldbuilding to prop it up.

Check the last page of the Humankind thread for a lot of recent opinions (someone asked this question there back in November). If you're itching for a 4x game and like Amplitude you might enjoy it for a couple games but it doesn't seem to hold anyone for long.

edit: It's not on sale but for what it's worth Old World is a much more recommendable (IMO) historical 4x game that was released from Epic Jail last year, though it definitely shakes up the 4x formula quite a lot by making it more of a roleplaying game about your ruler and their dynasty (as in Crusader Kings) than a traditional empire-based 4x. Its lead designer is Soren Johnson, who also designed Civ 4.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 24, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

OK, I’m gonna ask the dumb question.

Is Aliens Colonial Marines worth playing? Like, at all?

Some qualifying notes;

1.) I’m a sucker for Alien/Aliens
2.) I’m a sucker for fan service
3.) I have a fairly decent tolerance for wonky rear end shooters. FPS games are my bread and butter and I’ve enjoyed mediocre ones before.
4.) I’ll be playing the PC version, so I can fix the AI with the .ini edit, but on Steam Deck, where the bigger overhaul mod apparently doesn’t work

It’s currently on sale aaaaand.. I guess I just want verification that it’s even possible to have a decent time with it. Or a warning if it’s irredeemable and not even worth that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's real bland, man. Your love of Aliens has to outweigh a lot of "if this had no license nobody would remember it".

A:CM is basically Dreamkiller with a 20th Century Fox skin.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know there's a big mod that obstensibly fixes a lot of stuff but I don't know if even that makes it worth playing.

I have been playing Fireteam Elite with some friends and that's pretty fun, if also complete nonsense.

E: Oh wait you mentioned said mod

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Lord help me I'm playing XCOM 2 again

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I tried to play XCOM 2 recently and was surprised to learn that I actually hate almost everything about it in retrospect. I ended up playing XCOM 1 again instead and it felt like a much better game despite some nice QOL changes in 2 :effort:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played XCOM 2 again stuffed to the gills with content mods about a year and a half ago and while I won't argue that it was balanced, I had a blast.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I tried to play XCOM 2 recently and was surprised to learn that I actually hate almost everything about it in retrospect. I ended up playing XCOM 1 again instead and it felt like a much better game despite some nice QOL changes in 2 :effort:

I didn't like xcom 2 either despite loving the first game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

deep dish peat moss posted:

Same. While I can appreciate XCOM2's improvements, I think I vastly prefer XCOM1's setting and aesthetic.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. As a tactical rpg it's great, but it just does not feel like "xcom". No UFOs, less-alien opponents, fairly generic battlefields, forcing you into aggressive pacing, using stealth, etc.

Somehow it took away all the tension and mystique of the x-com series.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 24, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now I'm bummed out that Phoenix Point sucked, again.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Now I'm bummed out that Phoenix Point sucked, again.
Man, one of my biggest disappointments with Phoenix Point was how you never got to play as disheveled, ragged survivors with scavenged equipment, like what was shown in the first trailer. Instead it was all superhero weapons and armors from day one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoyed XCOM 2 removing your ability to snooze your way through most missions with overwatch traps and the randomly generated maps making each mission feel more unique. hell, the randomly-generated maps felt like they had better cover placement and gameplay flow than some of XCOM EU’s handcrafted maps. the geoscape also felt more interesting.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Finished Days Gone over the weekend at about 50 hours played. Note, I only used fast travel about 12 times because riding the motorcycle around is so drat fun. There is about 4 seasons of a heavily cliched TV show in there but I was just heavily involved with the core gameplay loop. I refrained from killing Hordes until the story pretty much says: "OK, we're going to need you to start killing groups of 300+ zombies at the same time now" because I wasn't even certain it was possible. But now I'm going back to starting areas and clearing mini-hordes of 25-50 zombies with an alarm clock and couple frag grenades, I think I could have done this much earlier in the game but I was under the impression that the Hordes would just respawn - but it turns out they don't! Near the start of the game I spent an hour or so killing off a horde streaming out of this cave via hit and run tactics before giving up. I returned to that horde like 45 game hours later and the Horde's "Health Bar" started at about 40%, I'm really impressed it tracked that state over that long.

The last reveal is utterly batshit crazy and got me intensely excited for a sequel that will probably never happen lol

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For such a core feature Days Gone hiding the hordes until basically the last act of the game is pretty weird. I liked the huge ones like at the lumber mill and school and sure keep those in your pocket but those small ones could probably be done the moment you have a machine gun.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Well Valve finally blocked the old Steam app from connecting to the chat servers so you now have to use their fresh new pisstake of a separate app for that. If you even CAN use it.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If you bounced off Phoenix Point at release or even a year ago I'd say give it another try, very different game to what it was imo.

It's still kind of an odd mix of tactics and faction sim game, but the experience overall has been rebalanced significantly with numerous patches. The DLC itself is kind of a mixed bag & the cybernetic augments one is the only 'must have' in my opinion.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Well Valve finally blocked the old Steam app from connecting to the chat servers so you now have to use their fresh new pisstake of a separate app for that. If you even CAN use it.

Good guy Valve saving you from having to chat with gamers

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I am hoping mods would fix whatever flaw on Pheonix Point over time.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Viewfinder ("photographs become reality" first-person puzzler) has a demo out now. will try it out later

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I tried using it this morning and the textbox lags on my Pixel 5 if there's like more than 2 lines of text in the message I'm typing.

I don't know how they are so bad at releasing mobile apps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How scary are The Forest, Sons of the Forest, and Green Hell?

Also which survival builder has the best combat system? If they're gonna force me to fight stuff I'd rather do more than just spam LMB.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nancy posted:

If you bounced off Phoenix Point at release or even a year ago I'd say give it another try, very different game to what it was imo.

It's still kind of an odd mix of tactics and faction sim game, but the experience overall has been rebalanced significantly with numerous patches. The DLC itself is kind of a mixed bag & the cybernetic augments one is the only 'must have' in my opinion.

Yeah, I kinda liked Phoenix Point a lot, coming at after it was content complete. My major issue with it was pacing, a lot of doing the same mission types before the game opens up with more variety of equipment, classes and scenarios.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did you know? Dead Island 2 came out last week. Of course you didn't! It's an EGS exclusive.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
The Find All games are on sale now, just picked them up and played through 1 and 2, thanks to The 7th Guest, Jordan7hm and Blattdorf for the recommendation.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 24, 2023

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Communist Bear posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/986130/Shadows_of_Doubt/

trip report; solid. It has some early access jank that you'd expect, mostly in the odd bug here and there. nothing show stopper in five hours. it feels pretty lively and there's a lot of paths to solve a problem because of that, but at the end of the day the gameplay loop basically is;

get a shoestring information on someone
run around using the crumbs to fill out the dossier until you get a name
look them up in the phonebook
break into their house and do whatever task you need to do

the biggest thing against it I guess is it does simulate a pretty dense, tall city; most of the buildings are skyscrapers with 10-20 floors, all but the ground floor being residences of office - and the ground floor being cafes, little medical clinics, pawn shops, etc - so it does get kind of samey. On top of that the maximum map size is 5x5 blocks I believe, or somewhere around there. It's a very vertical map admittedly, but again that's all just same-y residences, so there isn't a lot going on.

still good tho, an easy recommend especially for 18 bucks

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bumhead posted:

OK, I’m gonna ask the dumb question.

Is Aliens Colonial Marines worth playing? Like, at all?

Some qualifying notes;

1.) I’m a sucker for Alien/Aliens
2.) I’m a sucker for fan service
3.) I have a fairly decent tolerance for wonky rear end shooters. FPS games are my bread and butter and I’ve enjoyed mediocre ones before.
4.) I’ll be playing the PC version, so I can fix the AI with the .ini edit, but on Steam Deck, where the bigger overhaul mod apparently doesn’t work

It’s currently on sale aaaaand.. I guess I just want verification that it’s even possible to have a decent time with it. Or a warning if it’s irredeemable and not even worth that.

I mean, it's about on par with Duke Nukem Forever to me.

It's a janky cobbled together frankenstein of a game that should have been taken out back to pasture long before it saw the light of day.

But it sounds like you have your mind made up already, me and 2 buds played it all the way through while drunk off our asses and had some semblance of a good time just making references and laughing at broken scripted sequences, glitched models, hilariously awful voice acting, and crashes.

Get Fireteam Elite instead but only if you have buds to play it with cause the bots are braindead.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Anybody play Archmage Rises yet? I liked the demo from what I saw of NextFest, but I'm not sure how that translates to the full game (albeit still in early access).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Mordja posted:

Did you know? Dead Island 2 came out last week. Of course you didn't! It's an EGS exclusive.

I was waiting for this until I found out it was EGS.
There was some site that got a preview copy and tried changing their cpu config around to try and test for different speeds.
Turns out it has Denuvo and they got locked out from playing it after too many tests.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/dead-island-2-is-using-the-denuvo-anti-tamper-tech/

e: oh, it looks like they later got that fixed, still lol.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

zoux posted:

How scary are The Forest, Sons of the Forest, and Green Hell?

Also which survival builder has the best combat system? If they're gonna force me to fight stuff I'd rather do more than just spam LMB.

There's a Survival Simulation megathread that can offer more specific advice. In some games you can turn off hostiles altogether. I've heard a lot of praise for Green Hell's survival stuff. The Forest scared me quite a bit back in the day.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gamerofthegame posted:

but at the end of the day the gameplay loop basically is;

get a shoestring information on someone
run around using the crumbs to fill out the dossier until you get a name
look them up in the phonebook
break into their house and do whatever task you need to do

Wait, you mean this thing is nearly a Covert Action-alike? Why did nobody tell me???

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Nancy posted:

Thanks so much for posting this. I kick-started it then never played it when all reviews said it was trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I actually enjoyed it when I played through it with the cybernetics & gene modding DLC whenever that came out. It could have been a lot more but it's much closer to x-com ufo defense in spirit than the firaxis reboots.