Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finished the main story of Stranger of Paradise. 10/10. Any shortcomings I noticed are made up by how awesome the rest of the game is.

How long does it take to advance the Bahamut DLC? I dunno if I'm in the mood for replaying tye entire game on Chaos and Bahamut difficulties right now.

Edit: Oh looks like I just missed discussion about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The fastest way to progress through the SoP DLC (probably, there are more knowledgeable players than me) is to ignore chaos difficulty entirely, go directly to Bahamut difficulty, turn dragon trials to the max, unlock “the rebel” (sunken shrine side mission) at the highest level you can and blow through that.

The objective of the “the rebel” is to kill an ogre and a malboro, but they’re in an area where you can knock them into water, so you just need to run past everything, then use an ability with knock back to kill them. Ninja(utsusemi for running past things)/sage (aeroga) or ninja/marksman (infinite starlight) are good choices. Completing this at level 400 with max trials gives you several thousand dragon treasures, which immediately unlocks the boss fights in dlc 1, gives you tons on job level unlocks and lets you buy a lot of anima crystals or rat tails as needed.

Once you’re done with that, “the stymied” is the easiest farm to get you ready for the rift. Run that a few times (or many, depending on whether you want to use extra mode against the dlc 1 bosses), cheese the dlc 1 bosses on extra mode, run the rift until you unlock item fusing, then grind “the stymied” again to farm the affinities you need for your build to push the rift further with no extra mode.

Thanks for this post, this was exactly what I needed to parse what the gently caress to do in Post Game. By god I'm going to make Gambler into one of my endgame classes if it kills me because I'm just a sucker for the archetype. Also it's funny to spin the wheel and get stupid poo poo like Ultima.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Looks like the NFT's came out. It's physical cards that you can get digital versions of too. How very weird.

https://store.na.square-enix-games....0CARD%20-%20AWS

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

Looks like the NFT's came out. It's physical cards that you can get digital versions of too. How very weird.

https://store.na.square-enix-games....0CARD%20-%20AWS

Hell yes. I've been counting down the days until this. Everyone else is like "I can't wait for FF16" or "I can't wait for Tears of the Kingdom," but I've been hyped for the Square-Enix NFTs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

imma fung those tokens

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Thanks for this post, this was exactly what I needed to parse what the gently caress to do in Post Game. By god I'm going to make Gambler into one of my endgame classes if it kills me because I'm just a sucker for the archetype. Also it's funny to spin the wheel and get stupid poo poo like Ultima.

One of the Rat Tail jobs for Gambler basically slots a Megalixir on the roulette. I'm probably gonna spend my first tails on Sage though because I need Ultima to hard carry me until I git gud

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Chillgamesh posted:

One of the Rat Tail jobs for Gambler basically slots a Megalixir on the roulette. I'm probably gonna spend my first tails on Sage though because I need Ultima to hard carry me until I git gud

That is very good and probably absolutely worth going for but hear me out...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Augus posted:

imma fung those tokens

I have been expressly informed that you CANNOT fung these tokens

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol square is run by nincompoops

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gambler gets guns, and therefore Starlight, which is about as bullshit as Ultima but without building up seals.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

jokes posted:

kill chaos? y/y

That's the only question Jack understands.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm a few hours into my very first run of FF6, playing on an SNES emulator, vanilla US release, no romhacks. Just began chasing down Terra after she took flight. Should I continue or restart with the pixel remaster? Or with a romhack? My reluctance with the pixel remaster is that I want something close to the original experience, and since I'm on retroarch I have access to a high quality CRT filter and I love how it looks. I'm not super concerned about QoL features but I also don't want to miss out on anything better just because I didn't do any research. I feel like I should be playing a romhack, but idk what's good. I'm having zero luck chasing down a consensus opinion on what's ideal for a first playthrough. Any suggestions?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

playing the original is fine
i'd be wary of doing a romhack for your first playthrough, even if it's one of the better ones you're kinda flipping a coin there

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The SNES version is extremely glitchy, just from using Relm. Some things don't even work correctly, like Goggles.
I'd pick PR version so SE decides to do a PR of FF9.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

every final fantasy is glitchy... but ff6 on the snes is the only one that will corrupt its save file with minimal effort

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

most of the stats dont even work in final fantasy 6 on the snes lol

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

The SNES version is extremely glitchy, just from using Relm. Some things don't even work correctly, like Goggles.
I'd pick PR version so SE decides to do a PR of FF9.

Hey now, be fair, the goggles do exactly what they're supposed to, they make you immune to blind. It's just that blind doesn't do anything, unless your name is Strago.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Don't overthink it, just play the videogame, unless you don't like it. You can research this and that about optimal conditions to play it (which no one will ever agree on) but also you can just complete a playthrough in that time

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

final fantasy 6 is very easy and theres no right way to play it just enjoy

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Augus posted:

playing the original is fine
i'd be wary of doing a romhack for your first playthrough, even if it's one of the better ones you're kinda flipping a coin there

Tonfa posted:

Don't overthink it, just play the videogame, unless you don't like it. You can research this and that about optimal conditions to play it but also you can just complete a playthrough in that time

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 6 is very easy and theres no right way to play it just enjoy

Thanks this is what I needed to hear. I was having a good time and then I started reading up on the pixel remasters and that got me to reading about romhacks and I started catching FOMO. I will drill the forbidden knowledge out of my brain, cheers

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

:cheers:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cattail Prophet posted:

Hey now, be fair, the goggles do exactly what they're supposed to, they make you immune to blind. It's just that blind doesn't do anything, unless your name is Strago.
I take it back.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

most of the stats dont even work in final fantasy 6 on the snes lol

What was the first FF without at least one stat that didn’t work, 10?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

8 maybe?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No, in VIII, the Level stat doesn't work.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

what doesnt work in 9

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Final Fantasy rules

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what doesnt work in 9

The Black Mages.

After a while, at least.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Agents are GO! posted:

The Black Mages.

After a while, at least.

too soon

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Rather than stats 9 had some completely hosed attributes on moves like a few that have 0% accuracy

Battle Mechanics Guide posted:

=============
Thunder Slash
=============
A Thunder element attack to one enemy reducing their HP by a percentage.

Damage = [19 * Target Max HP / 100]

Notes:
0% Accuracy.
Does not work on bosses.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hellioning posted:

:hmmyes:

5 have broken stats?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what doesnt work in 9

The in-game timer if you're a pal player

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

Evasion did nothing in the original SNES release of FFVI, everything was governed by Magic Evasion
(From what I read recently when starting FFVI Pixel Remaster, anyway)

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Theotus posted:

5 have broken stats?

Vitality on equipment only affects the amount of HP gained from Regen IIRC

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

you could skip almost every boss fight in the original release of ff6 because of invisible being bugged and removing x-zone immunity from bosses

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pretty sure FF2's stats work as intended, with the only hiccup being that when an all-target spell is cast on your party, instead of increasing Magic Defense, it instead increases Firion's Spirit because the game coding considers it a White Magic spell being cast by Firion.

Here's a great in-depth guide for the NES version. This site in general has great content for the NES FF games!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Theotus posted:

5 have broken stats?

Kind of? The knife damage formula (which is also used by bows and whips) is supposed to scale off of both strength and agility, but for everything except the chicken knife, the agility portion of the formula can only ever be 0 or 1. However, there's an argument to be made that this was actually a deliberate change made late in development for balance reasons, and afaik it's never been "fixed" in any of the later releases. (The chicken knife not having this limitation is a large part of the reason it's so overpowered.)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Cattail Prophet posted:

Kind of? The knife damage formula (which is also used by bows and whips) is supposed to scale off of both strength and agility, but for everything except the chicken knife, the agility portion of the formula can only ever be 0 or 1. However, there's an argument to be made that this was actually a deliberate change made late in development for balance reasons, and afaik it's never been "fixed" in any of the later releases. (The chicken knife not having this limitation is a large part of the reason it's so overpowered.)

Yeah, current implementation results in a quick and dirty 'knives are really good on knife guys while they're competitive at all, but fall off when they're set to fall off'.

I will say that I've been really digging into the first SaGa game for the current fiesta, and it also appears to feature an errant 8-bit multiply that doesn't serve balance purposes at all. Could be a recurring blind spot, could be the inspiration for deciding to do it in 5, could be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames

Hellioning posted:

Levelling up in FFVIII is just to unlock hard mode.

I use a Mac instead of a PC now, meaning I can no longer play FFVIII with the Lunatic Pandora mods, which make everything look and sound beautiful. I'll have to download the Switch remaster, which only has a few QoL improvements, more annoying character designs and the same blurry PC port backgrounds. Using Bootcamp with a Win7 partition is probably my only option. Which sucks.

Zibraltar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 25, 2023