Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1308360/GUN_JAM/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256942060/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1681910590

More musically diverse Metal: Hellsinger although it does not look quite that good. And, only 42% positive.

And the studio failed to credit at least one of the producers (who is a goon). So, gently caress those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2320910/AMID_EVIL_VR/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256941987/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1681877099

quote:

A retro FPS for the ages! Completely rebuilt from the ground up for VR! Once branded a HERETIC. Now YOU have been chosen as our champion! Reclaim our sacred weapons. Take back our ancient lands. If you can stand... AMID EVIL.
93% positive out of 99

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1214670/Mr_Suns_Hatbox/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256902888/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1682012089

quote:

Mr Sun’s Hatbox is a slapstick, roguelite platformer about getting the job done at all costs. Upgrade your HQ, your team, and your tools so you can take on increasingly dangerous (and ridiculous) missions, wearing hats with amazing (or questionable) potential.
84% positive out of 84

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1627510/Deathchron/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256933067/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1678311956

quote:

Deathchron is an action side scroller where you play as a kid that finds an amazing mech to save the world.
No reviews yet. Under five bucks

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Shadows of Doubt

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256942784/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1682347930

quote:

An immersive sandbox detective stealth game set in a fully simulated sci-fi noir city of crime and corruption. Think like a private investigator and take on jobs to earn cash on your path to catching a serial killer. If you don’t catch them - they will kill again…

Shadows of Doubt is set in an alternate reality in the hyper-industrialized 1980s. Think like a detective and use a variety of gadgets as a private intelligence investigator, gathering evidence and making money by solving cases, finding and selling information and more.

Play your own way in a fully simulated world with hundreds of citizens. Discover, meet and tail individual citizens, each with their own name, job, apartment and daily routine, in unique, procedurally-generated cities. Each case has different culprits, clues and experiences for you to test your investigative skills.

Explore anywhere in the city! Every nook of every trashy bar, every place of work, every seedy hotel room… This dystopia is your oyster. Break into apartments, rifle through secret documents or hack security systems - even a discarded receipt can be the key to cracking a case. Trace the receipt back to an individual location, scour CCTV footage and match the time up to the receipt to find out who it belonged to!

The entire world is fully simulated. Each citizen has an apartment, job, daily routine, favorite things to do, places to go, and people to interact with. They live out their lives independently, in a world that moves on with or without you— uncover this knowledge and use it to your advantage!

This is one a lot of folks, including me, have been waiting for ever since it had a pretty good demo back in the demo fest. $17.99 on a 10% release discount right now. Still in Early Access.

Forest Ranger Simulator
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256927237/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1674847310

quote:

WHAT CAN YOU DO IN FOREST RANGER SIMULATOR
⚒️ Build & Repair - seatings, benches, feeders, bridges and more
🧰 Craft - create something useful out of not useful items
📚 Learn - read and learn about real life nature in your notebook
🐦 Feed - hungry animals such as ducks or birds need to be fed
⭐ Unlock Items & Badges - advance through game to unlock new items and get rewards
🏃‍♂️ Explore - walk, run, drive and watch beautiful nature by day and night
🗑️ Sort & Clean - help forest and clean it from garbage, lots of different trash need sorting
💰 Buy and Selll - use online store to earn some $
🪓 Gather - mushrooms, brushwood, timber, honey and more
🌲 Take Care of the Forest - estinguish fires, get rid of traps and more
DO WHAT YOU LIKE - it's sandbox, play how you like it!

This is very much for if you are into the early access janky simulator genre like I am, but I felt it was worth mentioning because the idea of "go around and clean up nature and feed the birds and remove illegal traps so they don't hurt animals" is a nice one at its core. Maybe worth a look if you are into chill stuff like House Flipper or Powerwash Simulator, although I will put in the warning that I've seen some pre-release streams and the game has some rough edges still. $13.49 on 10% release discount.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

StarkRavingMad posted:

Shadows of Doubt

This is one a lot of folks, including me, have been waiting for ever since it had a pretty good demo back in the demo fest. $17.99 on a 10% release discount right now. Still in Early Access.

This has been on my wishlist forever and I'm hoping some people can chime in with impressions, especially on the Early Access-ness of it. It's such an intriguing idea, I'm hoping it lives up to the promise

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Archmage Rises is out today. They had a demo of the full game for like two months and it certainly is interesting though I would warn that it is a true EA game and feels like pre-Alpha. I tried the demo last week and still ran in to all sorts of bugs, but I am keeping my eye on it to see how it progresses.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256940015/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1680816384

quote:

Prepare to immerse yourself in the freedom that you can normally only get out of a tabletop RPG. Empowered with magic, you will create your own story, and experience real consequences from the decisions you make. Will you be the world’s savior . . . or its destroyer? The choice is yours.

Key features:

Every life is intimate, unique, and memorable. Feel each playthrough deeply.
Explore a true open world teeming with life, choice, and consequence
Immerse yourself in a player-driven story that evolves based on your decisions
Unleash dangerous spells that can have game-changing consequences
Cast magic to overcome obstacles and explore challenging dungeons
Procedural world generation featuring in-depth political, economic, and military simulations
Experience a never-before-seen religion/spirituality/worship system

$25 no reviews

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

StarkRavingMad posted:

Forest Ranger Simulator

This is very much for if you are into the early access janky simulator genre like I am, but I felt it was worth mentioning because the idea of "go around and clean up nature and feed the birds and remove illegal traps so they don't hurt animals" is a nice one at its core. Maybe worth a look if you are into chill stuff like House Flipper or Powerwash Simulator, although I will put in the warning that I've seen some pre-release streams and the game has some rough edges still. $13.49 on 10% release discount.

This company seems to be the leader for churning out early access simulators.
And if it ever gets finished I would totally buy it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

That Dang Dad posted:

This has been on my wishlist forever and I'm hoping some people can chime in with impressions, especially on the Early Access-ness of it. It's such an intriguing idea, I'm hoping it lives up to the promise

I've only done two cases so far but it seems really good. It didn't hold my hand at all for either case and they were both solved in completely different ways. Performance is kind of all over the place when you're in the city but other than that the only bug I've really run into was one apartment entrance where I fell through the floor.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Shadows of Doubt is loving awesome and 100% worth picking up if you are curious.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I picked up Shadow of Doubt, what the hell, looks really interesting.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm really appreciating the ability to enable or disable individual status effects in the gameplay menu for Shadow of Doubt, so I can turn off hunger and thirst when I'm on a "stakeout" rather than having to bother running back to the diner for food.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm really appreciating the ability to enable or disable individual status effects in the gameplay menu for Shadow of Doubt, so I can turn off hunger and thirst when I'm on a "stakeout" rather than having to bother running back to the diner for food.

You can expand your inventory and just carry a couple doughnuts with you. But, yes, having that customizability is always great.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dramicus posted:

You can expand your inventory and just carry a couple doughnuts with you. But, yes, having that customizability is always great.

But that's less space for all the stuff I steal, I mean evidence I collect

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Re:Fresh

quote:

Restore your town as you run, jump and dash through cozy locales while helping lovable townsfolk! Become immersed in a tight-knit community of animals and robots while becoming the town hero in this heart-warming solarpunk adventure.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256942880/movie480_vp9.webm
100% out of 12. 25% launch discount.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Stranded: Alien Dawn came out of EA, which makes it probably the first 3d Rimworld-esque game I've been following that actually released.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324130/Stranded_Alien_Dawn/

quote:

Brave a new world in Stranded: Alien Dawn, a planet survival sim placing the fate of a small marooned group in your hands. Forge your story through compelling and immersive strategic gameplay as you make vital decisions to protect your survivors from starvation, disease, extreme weather and more. From basic camps to fortified bases, create a stronghold to defend the survivors from attacks by alien creatures that roam an expansive and deadly alien world. Experience an epic and unpredictable journey.

Discover an expansive, living 3D world with remarkable flora and fauna
Manage your survivors’ needs, health and happiness
Construct and evolve your own unique base, and devise cunning defences to protect it and survivors from being attacked
Plant, grow, harvest and hunt down food. Stockpile useful resources and salvage material from fallen space debris
Research technologies to expand your horizons.
Provide heat, light, devices for relaxation and more to keep survivors on top of their game, ready to face the next challenge.
React to fluctuating weather and environmental events

Very Positive reviews. I wanna pick it up but playing way too many games right now already.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

Accessibility benefits everyone. You love to see it.

Man this is one of my absolute favorite threads on the forum even though most of the stuff y’all post is PC and I don’t even have a good gaming rig. I just love all the funny, weird, interesting, unusual things that get posted here.

It’s also funny to see blatant marketing from small teams. Yo solarpunk is not a thing stop it. lol.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

That Dang Dad posted:

I love the game but at the moment it's fairly rough in several ways. If you save often it's fine, there's even a quick save, but loading takes a while.

The bug I run into the most is one where I'll accept a side job but then the instructions I get are missing nouns. I'll be told to go to a phone at midnight but not where and also I suspect the time is wrong and is supposed to be sooner or at least different from each job I get like that. You can close a case whenever though so I just toss them and do another thing.

It also seems to have a memory leak or something as performance gets worse over time, and I lose the ability to zoom in and out with the map and corkboard until I restart the game. Also a lot of visual glitches and weirdness from the procgen but overall nothing insanely major I don't see them fixing by release.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

It’s also funny to see blatant marketing from small teams. Yo solarpunk is not a thing stop it. lol.

I'm not sure what your point here is, most people are copy/pasting the description of the game from Steam so yes, it is literally marketing. Also solarpunk is a thing, I've heard of it before this game anyway.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Tagichatn posted:

Also solarpunk is a thing, I've heard of it before this game anyway.

Solarpunk is so fetch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why does punk get all the genres

where is my cyberpolka, or steamrap, or solarMongolianthroatsinging

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Hwurmp posted:

why does punk get all the genres

because you only need to know 3 chords and how to shout incoherently into the mic

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
cyberpolka's not dead- a thread for discovering interesting new genres

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
saw an article about hopepunk but didn't read it, not sure how you glue hope to a tophat or a jean jacket vest

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245560/Roots_of_Pacha/

quote:

Discover, gather, and farm vegetables and herbs. Explore the surrounding wilderness to find animals to befriend and domesticate; fish the shallow and deep waters to see what lies in their depths; and mine the darkest caves filled with mysteries and secret powers.

Begin your journey of discovery as you develop the tools and ideas that reshaped the primitive world. Learn to process and preserve food (meat, vegetarian, and vegan options), begin metalworking, create beautiful pottery and art, unlock your clan’s spirituality, and invent new buildings to expand your village any way you want.

A tight-knit community of people will ensure your village’s survival, each with their own fears and dreams. Develop friendships and overcome hardships together. Grow your village by inviting people from other clans to live with you. Participate in primitive festivals and rituals to Pacha, mother nature, and her elements. And when the time comes, find your true love ❤.

Customize your character’s appearance with the best cosmetics the stone age has to offer. When you’re done working on your face, work on creating the most amazing farm around. Don’t stop there! Design, place, and decorate your own unique home to return to after a hard day’s work.

The game was developed from scratch with multiplayer support in mind. Live together with friends and share your talents and resources to help the clan evolve. Ride your favorite animals together. Compete in fishing, have fun at festivals, and participate in milestone multiplayer cutscenes.

It's a prehistoric-themed farm/life sim. Can't see the reviews because Steam is exploding on me at the moment, but rated Mostly Positive. 10% off sale for release.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Metroidvania Afterimage is out now, had an eye on this one for a bit so I hope it's good. Reviews are currently 71% positive

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Sadly most of the negative reviews are in Chinese and machine translations butcher the gaming lingo they use so it's hard to know what the complaints are.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

haldolium posted:

OTXO

a hotline-miami-like, but not as punishing as you get a healthbar and slowmotion on demand. Feels pretty good to play, nice soundtrack too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2kCJNI5mdc

I picked this up based on the soundtrack and gave it about an hour and refunded it. I like the concept but man oh man did the controls feel slippery for me. I was trying to adjust the cursor speed/mouse sensitivity and whether it was set to 1 or 100 it didn't feel any different. It also didn't recognize like half the buttons on my gamepad. I think if you're more tuned into the default speed this wants to play at, you'll have a better time than I did (and they'll probably fix it in a patch).

I think the problem for me was that after an hour looking at a black and white (with a splash of red) color palette and very samey rooms, I realized I didn't want to spend the time getting into the zone with the game. There's very little visual identity for any of the levels and there's only, i think, 2 or 3 different enemy types besides the bosses (which look cool). I think this is meant for people who want to focus purely on the improvisational bullet ballet with no frills, no friction, and no focus on environments and that just isn't for me. YMMV!

Soundtrack beats rear end though, I bought it on bandcamp, it's a perfect workout album.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

I'm not sure what your point here is, most people are copy/pasting the description of the game from Steam so yes, it is literally marketing. Also solarpunk is a thing, I've heard of it before this game anyway.

My point is that describing an aesthetic by creating a bespoke portmanteau is both funny and kinda useless. It’s not that serious lol.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Shadows of Doubt PSA: The print scanner can scan footprints in addition to fingerprints. It tells you the size of their shoes. I used it to ID a receptionist with only 3 datapoints, shoe size being one of them.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

That Dang Dad posted:

I picked this up based on the soundtrack and gave it about an hour and refunded it. I like the concept but man oh man did the controls feel slippery for me. I was trying to adjust the cursor speed/mouse sensitivity and whether it was set to 1 or 100 it didn't feel any different. It also didn't recognize like half the buttons on my gamepad. I think if you're more tuned into the default speed this wants to play at, you'll have a better time than I did (and they'll probably fix it in a patch).

I think the problem for me was that after an hour looking at a black and white (with a splash of red) color palette and very samey rooms, I realized I didn't want to spend the time getting into the zone with the game. There's very little visual identity for any of the levels and there's only, i think, 2 or 3 different enemy types besides the bosses (which look cool). I think this is meant for people who want to focus purely on the improvisational bullet ballet with no frills, no friction, and no focus on environments and that just isn't for me. YMMV!

Soundtrack beats rear end though, I bought it on bandcamp, it's a perfect workout album.

https://lateralis.bandcamp.com/album/otxo-original-soundtrack here's a link for convenience because it truly bops.

However, I also bounced off OTXO hard. Playing it I realized how much the story structure, vague and feverish as it was, did for Hotline Miami. Also, the varied level design. This is just progressing through a bunch of corridors, maybe there's more story later, but there's nothing to draw you in. To make matters worse, I actually didn't like that you have a health bar and there's this focus on slowing down time to avoid bullets. I much preferred HM's gameplay loop where you had to learn a level layout until you could execute a beautiful choreography, but maybe that's just me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

My point is that describing an aesthetic by creating a bespoke portmanteau is both funny and kinda useless. It’s not that serious lol.

All words are created to describe things.

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Bought Stranded Alien Dawn, a 3D rimworld-like (what’s a dorf?), from the Tropico devs for 35? sign me up. Although with Denuvo I’m guessing no mods support.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm with you but I also do not know what solar punk is meant to convey

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

KernelZee posted:

Bought Stranded Alien Dawn, a 3D rimworld-like (what’s a dorf?), from the Tropico devs for 35? sign me up. Although with Denuvo I’m guessing no mods support.

It has Steam Workshop. It's had it for a while.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

CainFortea posted:

All words are created to describe things.

"undescribable"

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Just wanted to highlight this one since I think it’s easy to miss but is really great.

It feels a bit like Spelunky + Metal Gear Solid 5 + the Rogue Legacy random traits system. It’s a platformer where you send units who die forever if they die out on heists equipped with a bunch of gear. On the missions you can steal more gear and kidnap enemies (yoinking them via balloons) to become part of your crew for future missions Units have unique traits which make them play differently (eg one dude can’t hear, another is bulletproof, another’s thrown objects deal more damage but also break whenever thrown), and either working around traits or trying to get someone with a strong combo is a fun side game. There is a ton of different gear/trait combos which keep things feeling fresh/different heist to heist. Game feel wise it reminds me a ton of spelunky, in that it’s a world with fairly simple rules but complex interactions, and tight controls. So you can pull of really crazy runs, or manage to get spectacularly wrecked, but in any case it feels fair. There’s also a base building layer where you do research, assign units to roles, etc that gives a sort of run to run progression.

Also, it has up to four player local coop + death match.

Overall 9/10 game imo - probably more a 15-20 hour game to fully complete once, though ofc you could replay.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BurningBeard posted:

glares in shoegaze / sludgecore / techstep

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Sludgecore just sounds like a convoluted way of saying someone is unable to manage personal cleanliness.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

don't call my rainbow converse shoegaze!!!

seriously though, let people create jargon, but also don't be surprised when people don't understand jargon they haven't been exposed to. it doesn't have to harm anyone if we over-define things if it's done well-intentioned and properly

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

lemondog
busgurn
kleebfwank
michael

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011