Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sorcerer's Broom gets pumped by Blood Age General which makes it cooler imo.

Mickey Mouse beat down is not a subject I'm going to debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

okay so i finally watched the video... and i mean its kinda messed up they used pinkerton instead of just calling him and asking him to just give up the product on his own but they didn't exactly threaten him or accuse him of stealing. seems like they hired them to get it back and i guess all security people are goons that look like thumbs so apparently no one at wizards thought that would be a bad look. i mean maybe they did send them just in case they needed to intimidate him into giving it up. but it doesn't seem like they actually threatened him with direct violence. i don't think he mentions if they were armed or not. i would assume they would be but who knows.

and to answer someone's earlier question about the distributor mistaking the products. no it wasn't amazon but apparently his distro guy is more of a yugioh/pokemon guy so when the youtube guy asked for "march of the machines" the distributor saw that name and just shipped it not knowing it was another product. wow who could have foreseen this happening?

the pinkerton cop gave him a card with the name of the wotc guy and they offered to replace the product with anything else he wanted. they apologized for making his wife cry and said they wanted the product back to see where in the distribution process it got leaked. this is really dumb because the obvious answer is you released two products with the same name.

so that's the gist of the story. seems like they just wanted the product back and instead of just having him return it by shipping it and covering his cost they walked over some private cops to do it instead which internally they probably thought, "oh great idea" without considering the optics of the situation.

bad look to send the company known for shooting people at protests but not as bad as people were making it out. i thought from reading the posts that they actually threatened him or something to get the product back.

before this sprawls into, "oh so you support fascists now" i'm just posting this to clear up what actually happened since it seems like no one did watch the video about the guy explaining it. i don't support wotc sending private cops to people's houses but they also didn't explicit threaten him with violence either as was suggested or implied in some of the posts.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Been a while since we got a set hoser this strong. Flipping the Battle to exile all Aftermath cards from your opponent's hand, board, library, and graveyard is a hell of a check on your rights a set's power.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

i don't support wotc sending private cops to people's houses but they also didn't explicit threaten him with violence either as was suggested or implied in some of the posts.

Private cops carry with them the implicit threat of violence. His wife wasn't brought to tears because she had a deep thumb related trauma save just bursts into tears when armed thumbs slow up at her door, but because they threatened to use force, either themselves or allocated to them by the state.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elblanco posted:

So beside hearthstone, are there any other good digital card games to replace mtga with?

The Pokémon card game is legitimately interesting, though plays quite differently from Magic.

Honestly I think people should try it just for the novelty of a game where Ancestral Recall is too underpowered to see play, while Feldon's Cane is banned in every format.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

okay so i finally watched the video... and i mean its kinda messed up they used pinkerton instead of just calling him and asking him to just give up the product on his own but they didn't exactly threaten him or accuse him of stealing. seems like they hired them to get it back and i guess all security people are goons that look like thumbs so apparently no one at wizards thought that would be a bad look. i mean maybe they did send them just in case they needed to intimidate him into giving it up. but it doesn't seem like they actually threatened him with direct violence. i don't think he mentions if they were armed or not. i would assume they would be but who knows.

and to answer someone's earlier question about the distributor mistaking the products. no it wasn't amazon but apparently his distro guy is more of a yugioh/pokemon guy so when the youtube guy asked for "march of the machines" the distributor saw that name and just shipped it not knowing it was another product. wow who could have foreseen this happening?

the pinkerton cop gave him a card with the name of the wotc guy and they offered to replace the product with anything else he wanted. they apologized for making his wife cry and said they wanted the product back to see where in the distribution process it got leaked. this is really dumb because the obvious answer is you released two products with the same name.

so that's the gist of the story. seems like they just wanted the product back and instead of just having him return it by shipping it and covering his cost they walked over some private cops to do it instead which internally they probably thought, "oh great idea" without considering the optics of the situation.

bad look to send the company known for shooting people at protests but not as bad as people were making it out. i thought from reading the posts that they actually threatened him or something to get the product back.

before this sprawls into, "oh so you support fascists now" i'm just posting this to clear up what actually happened since it seems like no one did watch the video about the guy explaining it. i don't support wotc sending private cops to people's houses but they also didn't explicit threaten him with violence either as was suggested or implied in some of the posts.

When hired professional killers show up at your door politely asking you for something, there's an implicit "or we'll take it anyway and you'll end up dead in a mysterious house fire" attached to it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

uggy posted:

Thread needs its own aftermath

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Well gently caress now I gotta make a whole drat Fantasia deck. I'm guessing theros stuff for the drunk parts, but gonna need a creepy magician boss, an evil mouse man, centaurs, a card banned for being culturally insensitive, demons and angels, faeries, four seasons, my little ponies, the closed eye visuals you get when you're tripping and listening to music, and like at least one each elephant/ostrich/gator/hippo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

I am glad the Pinkertons didn't kill these people like the time they killed the other people. I am sure the legal threats and the wife crying were all misunderstandings.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a rough chuckle

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I want to leak something in solidarity

I did a set preview for some Ravnica looking art in Oct/Nov of 2021. It looked cool. All the art was "solve the mystery" or "detective looking for clues" themed.

One piece of art was a "red string board" but with magic red swirls connecting the pages of clues.
That's all I remember, cause it was the coolest part, but nothing looked lame. It was all really flavorful and fun looking.

We're going back to Ravnica, folks.

Come get me, pinkertons!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I mean, it's already been 3 1/2 years since Guilds, so why the hell not

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Jabor posted:

The Pokémon card game is legitimately interesting, though plays quite differently from Magic.

Honestly I think people should try it just for the novelty of a game where Ancestral Recall is too underpowered to see play, while Feldon's Cane is banned in every format.

I've been gaining interest in pokemon again lately. It's cool because unlike so many other tcg's, it's not just Magic with the serial numbers filed off and all the keywords arbitrarily changed to different words with the same meaning, it's actually a totally different game engine. The newest set has really great art too tbh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I want to leak something in solidarity

I did a set preview for some Ravnica looking art in Oct/Nov of 2021. It looked cool. All the art was "solve the mystery" or "detective looking for clues" themed.

One piece of art was a "red string board" but with magic red swirls connecting the pages of clues.
That's all I remember, cause it was the coolest part, but nothing looked lame. It was all really flavorful and fun looking.

We're going back to Ravnica, folks.

Come get me, pinkertons!

Idk if jape or not but I believe it and I dig it and I'm excited and happy to hear it now. I don't know poo poo about Ravnica, but I love leaks, illegal knowledge, and the detective theme is fun.

Red string conspiracy web is also a cool wall decoration. Red yarn is probably the only thing most people don't have around already and it doesn't have to be red, but it's clearly ideal. It can also be semi functional as reminder board. My ex and I would write shopping list or things like that and thumbtack it into the conspiracy wall web. Either we'd rip em down to use as list or write extra poo poo on it once done to make it sound mysterious and add to the wall over time.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Strong Sauce posted:

but it doesn't seem like they actually threatened him with direct violence

Lol nah they just implied it via the medium of sending in the heavies

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the very idea of the pinkertons showing up at your door with demands is a threat. They might not have said anything explicitly, but them being pinkertons is in itself an implied threat to anyone familiar with even a fraction of their history

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jabor posted:

I played the Japan only sequel to the Pokémon TCG gameboy game a few years ago, and on top of being a blast of nostalgia, it was cool seeing the game from a new perspective with the benefit of conventual MTG wisdom. Like Bills (0 mana draw 2) would not have been an auto-include when I was a kid.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pokemon TCG is all the spells and combos of early Magic but because you can only KO one pokemon a turn, your op gets to untap and combo you right back. It rules, the art especially, rules.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Honestly I just think it's incredible that a card game company sicked its goons on someone to take its cards back. Real Seto Kaiba poo poo

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Honestly I just think it's incredible that a card game company sicked its goons on someone to take its cards back. Real Seto Kaiba poo poo

This is just the shittiest cyberpunk dystopia.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You're being completely unfair, Seto Kaiba personally went to a LGS and ripped up the only copy of Blue Eyes White Dragon he didn't own. He knows when to apply the personal touch.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rinkles posted:

I played the Japan only sequel to the Pokémon TCG gameboy game a few years ago, and on top of being a blast of nostalgia, it was cool seeing the game from a new perspective with the benefit of conventual MTG wisdom. Like Bills (0 mana draw 2) would not have been an auto-include when I was a kid.

HootTheOwl posted:

Pokemon TCG is all the spells and combos of early Magic but because you can only KO one pokemon a turn, your op gets to untap and combo you right back. It rules, the art especially, rules.

Pokemon TCG is cool as hell (except when their judges are making children cry) and their cards are gorgeous

Amp fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 25, 2023

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm gonna say I disagree about the Pokemon TCG being a good card game.
It's definitely fun to play sometimes and the cards are very pretty sometimes, but every single game is the exact Commander gameplay loop that I hate. Sitting for 20 minutes jerking yourself off trying to pull something off, passing, watching your opponent do the same thing, repeat. Oh, you whiffed on one ability? Guess the game's over.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Base set Pokemon let you play a one-sided Wheel of Fortune for free, in addition to the four copies of Divination that were also both in your deck and didn't cost anything.
These are supporter cards now and you can only play one a turn.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

the most anyone's defending wotc is saying that it was vanishingly unlikely they were going to let the dude keep his 22 boxes of unreleased mtg cards and that it probably would've been worse if they sent actual cops

mostly i just have a headache at how many articles about this are going 'they hired the pinkertons -- you know, the villains from red dead redemption!'

Thank you

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
found out the hard way Quintorius can replay Elspeth and battles, guy's a nightmare

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Framboise posted:

Mine arrived today, finally. Looks great and is a nice home for my Krark/Sakashima cEDH deck:

At the last prerelease I won a "cube-sized" version of this (so the main compartment is like 4 times larger) which is too large to fit in my bag. I don't really have a use for it either, I guess I could put like 4 commander decks in there

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
To be fair to the wife, I understand why she let them in. Those dudes had menace, she couldn't block them alone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried the Pokemon TCG online for a few weeks once years ago and it seemed like a complete joke. The program itself was terrible but the actual game also felt like an afterthought, despite being the main attraction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PharmerBoy posted:

To be fair to the wife, I understand why she let them in. Those dudes had menace, she couldn't block them alone.

Oh my God lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Brilliant business decisionmaking

https://twitter.com/emilyjnicolle/status/1650896448072957960

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So was that just Great Value brand Hearthstone?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Funny how gamers, notable for being credulous idiots are still less credulous and less idiotic than finance guys, because gamers can at least tell that crypto is a scam that poisons anything it touches.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cactrot posted:

Funny how gamers, notable for being credulous idiots are still less credulous and less idiotic than finance guys, because gamers can at least tell that crypto is a scam that poisons anything it touches.

The top level guys at GMG/SBB all walked out with a pile of money and LSV got a fat check for arranging it. Only the rank-and-file workers and the fans got shafted on this one, as usual.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cactrot posted:

I think it's more that people who were born rich have no literal concept of value

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are some posters going like "I'll never buy magic cards again" and that is OK to make that personal decision, there are also obviously some posters who feel this isn't as big a deal and will continue to play and post about playing and buying magic cards, and that's also allowed in the TG magic the gathering thread. I've been chatting with Framboise and I think we're both on the same page, in that intergoon sniping over whether Wizards is canceled this time for reals is unpleasant and not great for the thread. Some hot takes, plus reading those hot takes in the worst light possible, the usual deal.

The magic the gathering community is obviously going to keep discussing this and that's obviously on topic for this thread too, just: please everyone recognize that nobody actually thinks it's cool to harass people with armed goons at their door, even if some folks feel that the youtuber did something super stupid and wanted to mention that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cactrot posted:

Matt Nass and LSV were both lead developers and best friends with SBF from childhood.
They took huge fat paychecks to ruin their game with NFT garbage.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Matt Nass and LSV were both lead developers and best friends with SBF from childhood.

wait really?

That's insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GonSmithe posted:

LSV wasn't a dev. He was just a face man who was running around collecting checks from a whole pile of places that year for endorsements and then greasing the wheels for crypto investments. He literally didn't get involved until the game was already successful and then showed up to kill it.