Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

the real funny part is if like mid point of the season, they are bad, and disappointing, and then they like sit Rodgers for the rest of the year to make sure they kept that first. lol Zach Wilson.

This means the 2nd rounder is a high second anyway, which works to more or less the same outcome really. Either the Packers get a pick in the 20s or they get a pick in the 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I think the Packers did very well in the trade considering they did not want him back.

It helped that the entire Jets FO was out on it's rear end if Zach Wilson was starting week 1.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

The Packers drafting exceptional wideouts the moment that Rodgers leaves would truly be a humorous turn of events.

2006 Greg Jennings #52 overall
2008 Jordy Nelson #36 overall
2011 Randall Cobb #64 overall
2014 Davante Adams #53 overall
2022 Christian Watson #34 overall

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They drafted two good young WRs last year. It’s just they are young and it seems like Rodgers wasn’t to terribly interested in working with them anymore than he had to

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

If Rodgers is good, they probably didn't get the better of the trade. outside of generally "getting rid of guy everyone hates". Probably a push, maybe favoring the Jets, unless Love is also good.

If he sucks or is mid and completely falls off, then yeah fleeced.

What if they both suck?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well then the Packers got some guys to develop while they suck for a high pick next year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MJeff posted:

What if they both suck?

Packers won, because then those assholes end up with Williams

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

Packers won, because then those assholes end up with Williams

That would be a shame, I was hoping he would have a nice career.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

It's a deep TE class this year but keep in mind it's rare for TEs to have much impact in the first year and it's very very hard for a highly drafted TE to outplay his rookie contract and get surplus value. It's just a position that outside the top few guys you get cheap players for and largely replacement level players without spending a ton on. There are some good WRs but like the best one is a slot WR nad you don't draft them with the #13 pick.

My guess is they do their normal thing and draft a sparky defensive player who will inevitably suck on the lovely defense and use one of the 2nd rounders on a TE... but that is unlikely to have much impact on the divisions worst WR corp so good luck jordan love i hope you like running the ball

adaz fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 24, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sounds like the Packers may be eating some of Rodger’s future money as well, so they may have been willing to trade some cap space this and next year to get more value in picks.

For what they got, they should be eating most of it. I will admit to being wrong. Being petty, spiteful bitches paid off for the Packers FO. That was way too much to give up for a one year rental and I take back every positive thing I've ever said about this current Jets FO.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sataere posted:

For what they got, they should be eating most of it. I will admit to being wrong. Being petty, spiteful bitches paid off for the Packers FO. That was way too much to give up for a one year rental and I take back every positive thing I've ever said about this current Jets FO.

It’s a mid second this year and probably a late first next year (if Rodgers hits the playtime incentives the Jets should make the playoffs) which is pretty close to the 2 2nds that was being thrown around and seemed reasonable. If the Packers are eating some of the salary then I don’t think it’s a bad deal for either side.

I think keying in Rodgers as their only option to begin with was pretty stupid but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

If Rodgers is good, they probably didn't get the better of the trade. outside of generally "getting rid of guy everyone hates". Probably a push, maybe favoring the Jets, unless Love is also good.

The power of spite seems to be incredibly powerful for Rodgers so I’m assuming this will end up being a win-win

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not sure you can call the Packers spiteful. They set a value on what they should get and it seems they got it.

That’s just negotiation

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dexo posted:

All of this is true, but on the other hand I no longer have to hear anything from the most annoying man in sports so even if he's good for the Jets I'm happy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Now that the day is finally here, I feel weirdly conflicted about Rodgers leaving the Packers. I didn't start really getting into football until I was in high school (2007-2011), so Rodgers and the Packers wede always been the boogeyman of my football fandom. Even when the Lions looked like they might be improving and have a chance to make the playoffs or win the division, the Packers were always there to crush our spirits, usually in the last game of the season at Lambeau. In recent years things became more even - the Lions broke the streak of losses in Green Bay, we swept them for the first time since '91 in 2017, and the past decade the teams have a .500 record against each other - but every game still made me nervous, as you just knew that Rodgers was still capable of ripping off a touchdown from any point on the field. The image of that goddamn hail mary is still carved into my brain and will probably be there until I die.

So Rodgers going is a pretty great thing and obviously something to be celebrated. The division is wide open now, and the Lions are in a great place to compete for it (assuming everything doesn't explode, as it often does). Jordan Love might be decent or even a good QB, but he's not going to be Rodgers, and he's not going to lead the Packers to another two decades of near-constant dominance (probably). But at the same time, there's still that part of me that's sad to see the great beast of my youth finally sent off, and that an era of football is coming to a final close. Brady's gone, the Mannings are gone, Roethlisberger's gone, Brees and Rivers are gone... and soon, Rodgers will be as well. It's a new era now, for good and for ill.

On the other other hand, lmao get hosed rodgers you giant weirdo baby, and god I hope the packers trip and fall into the basement of the division after this

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Dexo posted:

the real funny part is if like mid point of the season, they are bad, and disappointing, and then they like sit Rodgers for the rest of the year to make sure they kept that first. lol Zach Wilson.

I could see the Jets both being utterly stupid enough and desperate enough to keep a clearly washed Aaron starting at QB and screw themselves out of a first.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
It’s possible the Jets suck, but the additional wild card spot has got teams in mathematical contention a bit later into the season than they used to be. Even at 4-8, last year’s Packers still had a chance, and Rodgers wanted to keep playing as long as they did. The Jets gave up enough for him that I don’t think they’ll punt it if they start slow.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think the pack came out ahead, but if love sucks then they started the rebuild three years early.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean if he sucks then that isn’t terribly different than what they would have with Rodgers.

Because last year he sucked

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Favre also ended his Packers stint on an interception.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if he sucks then that isn’t terribly different than what they would have with Rodgers.

Exactly and no reason to rebuild, the team is pretty young. If Love is garbage they’ll have a decently high pick to nab a QB or have an extra first/second to help trade up. The worry would be if Love flashes once in a while to trick everyone in thinking he’s the guy, extend him, and waste a few years with him.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also, if Love sucks, it feels unlikely that Gute will sit back and be like "let's give it another year or two." I think he cuts bait and moves on next draft in that scenario. Whereas if we were drafting, saying, Will Levis this year, we probably give him 2-3 years before moving on (if he didn't pan out).

So, it kind of gives us two bites at the find-a-successor apple in a short timespan. That's still not very many bites so we could fail, but it's better than one.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If Love sucks Gute better be fired into the sun.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SirPablo posted:

Favre also ended his Packers stint on an interception.

A quick Google says Corey Wooten has no kids.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the fact that rodgers was so loving annoying that most packers fans hate his dumb rear end takes all of the fun out of rooting for him to humiliate himself in new york, i can't be yelling ha ha rodgers eat poo poo when packers fans are also agreeing with me. disgusting. anyway i hope the packers can survive their possible 3-4 weeks of not having a hall of fame quarterback.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dude is probably gonna retire on the spot as soon as the New York sports media puts 50 microphones and two dozen cameras in front of him to explain yet another game-losing pick six or whatever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

you will be able to tell that the bears are doomed to be a perennial Hell Franchise when Love has a much better season than Fields, it has already happened.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I don't know what sort of weird vendetta you have but between hating Rodgers and wanting to see him fail and hating Gutey and wanting to see him fail I'm not entirely sure you're actually a Packers fan.

Gutekunst got two second round picks and two* first round picks out of players who decided they didn't want to be in Green Bay anymore no matter what. That's a phenomenal return for a GM. Then you account for him finding multiple All-Pros in free agency and a pretty decent drafting record and now I'm not even sure what more you want of him.

Does he even have authority to force LaFleur to fire Barry? That's the only other thing I can reasonably think of that isn't an utterly insane scenario.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Gutey created the whole Problem in the first place by trading up for Love when Rodgers was nowhere near retiring.

Edit: among other draft fuckups

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
He's also done a good job in free agency, particularly in getting good value off of guys not in the first wave. Don't get it either.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know what sort of weird vendetta you have but between hating Rodgers and wanting to see him fail and hating Gutey and wanting to see him fail I'm not entirely sure you're actually a Packers fan.

Gutekunst got two second round picks and two* first round picks out of players who decided they didn't want to be in Green Bay anymore no matter what. That's a phenomenal return for a GM. Then you account for him finding multiple All-Pros in free agency and a pretty decent drafting record and now I'm not even sure what more you want of him.

Does he even have authority to force LaFleur to fire Barry? That's the only other thing I can reasonably think of that isn't an utterly insane scenario.

You're ignoring the fact that gutenkust caused the situation with Rodgers directly by drafting love in the first place and also ignoring him throughout the first part of his tenure as GM. Also, he hosed up with the contract extension for Aaron too.

Like I'm glad he's had some success as a player evaluator but the defense still sucks, the wt corp is a desolate wasteland and he wasted two MVP years of his QB in addition to mishandling the situation to begin with

No part of gutenkust tenure as packers gm screams well run organization, he's been a mild train wreck saved by 2 MVP seasons of aaron

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I hate to tell you this but o doubt not drafting love would have changed much.

Like not drafting love wouldn’t have made Rodgers not choke in the 49ers and Bucs games.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If the Packers are bad again next year I’m not really sure she the argument is for keeping a guy who traded up to waste a first round pick on a QB and hired a coach and built a roster that apparently can’t win without a HoF caliber QB playing at an MVP level.

Great, he got value trading two players he didn’t even draft, so what? The team is either good or it isn’t and if they’re looking to draft another QB next year then it probably isn’t.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Can’t think of any receivers in the 2020 draft that might have made a difference?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That was a very good trade by the Packers. There are some things the GM has done that is questionable, but he's built very good teams around a high priced QB and it's not his fault that Rodgers chokes in the playoffs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Abugadu posted:

Can’t think of any receivers in the 2020 draft that might have made a difference?

No the offenses were top rated in the regular season. I get all fans think that if they just had more weapons things would have changed but it’s unlikely.

People call the Packers fans spoiled and realistically that’s true if a team that consistently competed is a disaster

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Abugadu posted:

I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic. Jefferson went right before they traded up for Love. But what they should have done is stayed put and picked Higgins, who went 33.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hate to tell you this but o doubt not drafting love would have changed much.

Like not drafting love wouldn’t have made Rodgers not choke in the 49ers and Bucs games.

It's all speculation anyway so who cares imo. Would Love not getting drafted mean that Bakh wouldn't tear his ACL in practice before the playoffs? Would it mean Kevin King wouldn't be playing with a back injury because he was the best possible option at the time? Would it mean that Adams wouldn't have dropped a catch he makes 99/100 times? Would they have even gotten there without Rodgers being pissy because they drafted Love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Hand Row posted:

I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic. Jefferson went right before they traded up for Love. But what they should have done is stayed put and picked Higgins, who went 33.

I’m being extremely sarcastic, there were several receivers that could have made a difference, and clearly we were willing to trade up for the right people.